shape
carat
color
clarity

Breaking up is hard to do. Advice from all people on PS pls!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Re: Breaking up is hard to do. Advice from all people on PS

Thank you everyone for your support. I both unfriended him and blocked him on Facebook.

I went through our 'friends in common' and deleted as many as I could that were people I'd met through him that I actually don't talk to at all. And had all of 'my' friends/relatives delete him to eliminate as many connections between us as possible.

I removed all photos of us from Facebook and untagged myself in ones that didn't belong to me/I didn't feel comfortable in asking the owner to remove.

That's about all I can do.

I feel relief.

And as per usual, deco, your words hit home. Every.single.time. Thank you, everyone, for all of the support. Ameila, I will try your suggestion of leaving cards around to remind me of how much better off I am.

And I'm working as you all suggested to relanguage myself into being stronger for this and trying to get out of the I'm so hurt funk.

You ladies all seriously rock.

I didn't have time last night, but I promise I'll come back with pictures of the place! I should be acquiring a few more pieces this weekend, so maybe I'll wait until they're in place so everything looks/feels more complete.

I really hope you all like it!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

So glad to hear you defriended him, audball. Another step in the right direction!

And I know many have said this before me, but I just want to re-iterate: he said the things he said because he knew they would hurt you. What he wants from you is a reaction. The reaction validates what he's doing--to him, if you react to the hurtful things he's saying, it means you still CARE enough to be HURT. You know what I mean? The absolute best thing to do is what you did: ignore him. To react to his hurtful statements would be reinforcing his nasty behavior.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

Very cool! Glad it helped. My BFF is using the cards now after a real nasty breakup and she loves it.

One caution though. If he starts acting truly remorseful like he's sincerely trying to make up with you, that's when you're going to be most vulnerable. What you write on the cards need to be something that makes you bomb-proof to this eventuality if it happens.

If you focus your re-languaging and the words on your cards on how much of a jerk he's been and then he starts playing nice and responsible, your defenses will crumble. The words on the cards will no longer ring true to you. I made that mistake once and my ex sucked me in again.

My biggest lesson was to focus on the problems that wouldn't change no matter how mature and responsible he might become and then I became more bomb-proof.

In effect, what you're trying to do is build layers of Teflon around you so he can't hurt you or suck you in any more. When you re-language to focus on the stuff that won't change no matter what he says or does, there's literally nothing he can say or do that will hurt you any more.

Good luck!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Glad to hear it, audball!

Inkblot

Rough_Rock

Here, here! *Claps*

Audball, I'm so sorry he was vicious in his return email, but I'm also glad that he's pretty transparent to you at this point. However, other posters are correct; he will hit a remorseful stage after his initial shock and anger fades a little bit. This is where you need to unmovable. Maybe write yourself a card that states, "No matter how sorry, sweet, and tender he may appear, it is all a manipulative act. Beware of the monster that lurks beneath, and do not fall into his trap!" I think you've got it handled, but you never know.

Although this is unorthodox, I went on a date one month to the day I filed for divorce. Casually dating (read: no sex) people and rediscovering myself as a 26-year-old in the dating world-- for the first time since college-- was totally liberating. I could afford to be choosy, but I also dated outside of my typical "type" and comfort zone. Though some dates were permanently filed in the Dud and Disaster folder, some of these men were the kindest, sweetest, responsible, exciting, funny, and cute guys I've ever met. Even though I'm in a committed relationship now, I am still friends with some of those post-divorce dates! Those guys validated everything my friends were telling me through the divorce; that I wasn't some walking cadaver with nothing to offer the world. That I was not a failure at life since I my husband cheated on me. I was very hesitant at first to tell people why I was divorced, and for as many guys who were turned off by status, there were just as many who were intrigued and supportive. In fact, many of these random strangers were completely aghast and angry for me...but I ONLY told them what happened if they asked. Otherwise, I just glossed over the details. Most were content with that. Guys like security after "the chase;" my SO now said he found the fact that I could commit to something as serious as marriage reassured him. I'm sure the length and toil of your relationship will give future dates the same perspective--it paints you as loyal, supportive, willing to compromise, etc. Aside from all the serious stuff, I had a total blast dating around and figuring out what I wanted. When you really think about it, failed relationships are GREAT in a sense. Now you know exactly what you DON'T want!

audball

Ideal_Rock

Things with ExBF are better. He's gotten past the angry stage and we're better. No wavering, I promise, but I'm glad we're getting to a more adult, mature, amicable state.

For those of you that don't venture out of LIW, check out my thread in Hangout ;))

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/maybe-a-new-dog-name.163560/

audball

Ideal_Rock

Hello ladies!

I thought I'd post an update. Things are going great for me. I'm done furnishing my new apartment and feel settled and happy there. Fall classes started back up at the end of August and so far, so good.

I'm seeing someone, and he's absolutely wonderful. Literally a complete 180 degrees from the ExBF. MAN have I seen the light! We're taking things VERY VERY slowly as I'm still cautious, but he really is the most amazing man I've ever met. Kind, generous, sweet, attentive, caring, and just plain nice!

Everyone in my life can tell how much happier I am. I owe a lot of strength to all of you ladies.

Thank you all for your support over the last (almost!) year. Things are really turned around and I couldn't be happier about where my life is going now.

I have had zero contact with ExBF and have cut all ties to everyone in his family except (occasionaly, once or twice per month) his Mom. She is my acocuntant, professional advisor (I'm in accounting school), and friend. We do not talk about ExBF AT ALL or anyone in the family in any way. She asks about classes, friends, school, work, and I ask her about work and her travels.

The only thing bad I can say that came out of this whole thing is losing my sweet baby girl (dog). I miss her dearly and wish everyday that I had just taken her and told him to sue me. But I didn't, and I can't change that now. I have mutual friends that have been in contact with us both who have reported that she is doing well, and that he has drastically changed his schedule and lifestyle to accomodate caring for her, so at least there is that.

Any other questions or things I left out, feel free to give me a shout and I'll check back in.

But seriously, life is great, couldn't be happier about the decision I made to leave, and can see now, how wrong everything in our relationship was. Being with someone who thinks I am amazing, not boring in the slightest, and enjoys spending time together is amazing.

:appl: Bravo women of PS. I owe many potentially wasted years to you all. Cheers!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock

Oh Audball im so, so happy for you :wavey: :appl: =) im so happy you're happy, you deserved so much more than that lout and you know it now! totally awesome :bigsmile:

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock

Hey audball! I'm so glad you updated here. I had been thinking about how things were going with you.

I'm so glad that you are in such a happier place in your life now. :appl: This new guy sounds pretty great and obviously makes you ten times happier than your ex. Best of luck with everything and keep us posted!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm exhausted! Just read entire thread on a flight from Atlanta to Orange County, CA. :-o ran through all the emotions with you. After a very similar 12 year marriage I bailed with my 8 year old daughter. Best and most difficult move I ever made. Married the man of my dreams in June this year..(5 years post divorce - 6 post split)....never knew what it felt like to be loved the way he loves me and my daughter. So happy for you...your out way before and ready to move on. Cheers! Way to be a strong woman! :appl:

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock

It makes me SO happy to read your update! :bigsmile: Thank you for the update and congrats on the new relationship with a REAL man! ;))

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock

I'm so happy for you! Well done for being so strong!

audball

Ideal_Rock

Thanks everyone! It's been a difficult road, but it's all been for the best. Life.is.good.

audball

Ideal_Rock

Mayk|1316619761|3022163 said:
I'm exhausted! Just read entire thread on a flight from Atlanta to Orange County, CA. :-o ran through all the emotions with you. After a very similar 12 year marriage I bailed with my 8 year old daughter. Best and most difficult move I ever made. Married the man of my dreams in June this year..(5 years post divorce - 6 post split)....never knew what it felt like to be loved the way he loves me and my daughter. So happy for you...your out way before and ready to move on. Cheers! Way to be a strong woman! :appl:
Mayk - you went through a lot going through all 23 pages in one sitting!! Most of the ladies who followed my story started with me back in February and have continued with me through it all. Bravo for reading it all and thanks for your support! I can now see light, and I'm so glad I made the change before I got married and further down the dead end road with the ExBF.

audball

Ideal_Rock

tammy77|1316622282|3022188 said:
It makes me SO happy to read your update! :bigsmile: Thank you for the update and congrats on the new relationship with a REAL man! ;))
He is DEFINITELY that. He is the best man I have ever met. I'm certainly not going to get ahead of myself, but I can not picture a better man to spend my life with. He checked every box of everything I've ever been looking for in a partner and I'm still amazed and how blissfully happy I am with him. We share all the same values, foundations, and outlooks on everything. It's truly 180 degrees from what I was experiencing.

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock

audball, I am SO happy to hear this! I read through your whole thread when I first joined LIW in about a week, and I often wondered how life was for you. Even in just the way you type I can tell you are blissfully happy. Couldn't have wished better for you!

audball

Ideal_Rock

RebeccaMUA|1316644994|3022465 said:
audball, I am SO happy to hear this! I read through your whole thread when I first joined LIW in about a week, and I often wondered how life was for you. Even in just the way you type I can tell you are blissfully happy. Couldn't have wished better for you!
Thank you!! And congrats on the engagement!

I'm a PSer for life now, and one day I WILL be back on that LIW list, with the RIGHT guy, at the right time. And I'm willing to bet he won't keep me in the dark and keep me waiting years for him to broach the subject. ;))

:love:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations on changing your life is such a great way!

Btw, is the new man the one who was nearly your ex's roomate?

audball

Ideal_Rock

Pandora|1316703028|3022903 said:
Congratulations on changing your life is such a great way!

Btw, is the new man the one who was nearly your ex's roomate?

Thanks Pandora!

I was wondering if someone was going to ask about that...and yes, the new man is the one who was nearly my ExBF's roommate.

The end was definitely messy, and awful. New BF and I didn't see eachother for many weeks post break up and didn't start really seeing each other until just a few weeks ago.

I know many probably think I'm crazy for jumping into another relationship in a timeframe that most would consider quickly, but it feels right. Mentally, I'd been preparing for the breakup for nearly a year and by the time it happened, I didn't even shed a tear. I knew it was coming, though it was unfortunate the way it happened. The only tears I shed at all were for losing my Molly. Our (ExBF and I) realtionship had been 'over' for many many months. In many ways I'm sure we both knew it and neither of us said anything.

Though, I wouldn't change anything that happened for the world, because it all got me to where I am today, which is happy, healthy, and stronger for the experience.

New BF and I are taking things very slowly, but it's honestly just so easy. Every little thing with S was work, all the time. Nothing was just easy. With A, everyhting is just wonderful. We like the same things, we enjoy doing the same things in our freetime. We're both more on the frugal side (which was a big sore spot with S and I and the flying...) and we're just a better match all around.

I met some of his family members over labor day. His Mom asked to meet me and A agreed. So I met his mom, sister, and brother in law over dinner. The next day, he was at my place and we were hanging out (I was off work for Labor Day and A didn't work until later that evening), and his Mom called to invite us back over to meet his brother, soon to be sister in law, and barbeque and spend the evening with them again. Sadly, A had to work and we couldn't go, but apparently they just adored me, so I'm really excited about that. A asked her on the phone what she thought and she said something along the lines of me being adorable, that I seemed very smart, genuine and that she thought I was a fantastic match for him. I couldn't stop beaming.

In 6 years with S, I couldn't ever really picture a future with him. I kept hoping we'd get engaged, married, etc, but I feel like that was more because I thougth it was what we should be doing after having dated for so long, and not becasue it felt right.

I have seen the light. And it's a very bright future indeed.

I hope I don't get too much flack for not having stayed 'single' awhile longer, but I can see why some of you may have concerns. Everyone is differnt I guess, and after a few weeks, I felt ready. I did'nt expect to, and had even told A previously that I wanted to take many many months to be along for awhile, but I felt better way sooner than I anticipated.

Thank you all again, for following my story, and for all the support and advice.

I appreciate each and every one of you.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so glad you're settled in and happy! You sound so much happier than before.

Be super careful getting involved so soon. We're all different, so if it feels right for you --- enjoy!

audball

Ideal_Rock

TooPatient|1316721369|3023204 said:
I'm so glad you're settled in and happy! You sound so much happier than before.

Be super careful getting involved so soon. We're all different, so if it feels right for you --- enjoy!
I really am happier.

I'm definitely proceeding with caution...but it does feel right. I'm moving on with my life.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock

No judging from me re: moving on. I've been in your situation, knowing a relationship was dead for nearly a year (okay longer, but who's counting at this point?!). You're not getting together with some guy you met randomly at a bar (not that that's terrible thing, just different). You know this man, you know his personality and have history with him. It's good that you're being careful, but don't for one second feel guilty or question your decision. You're one smart, strong lady. You know what bad ones look like, it's time for you to enjoy your life with a good one! :bigsmile:

audball

Ideal_Rock

tammy77|1316796562|3023906 said:
No judging from me re: moving on. I've been in your situation, knowing a relationship was dead for nearly a year (okay longer, but who's counting at this point?!). You're not getting together with some guy you met randomly at a bar (not that that's terrible thing, just different). You know this man, you know his personality and have history with him. It's good that you're being careful, but don't for one second feel guilty or question your decision. You're one smart, strong lady. You know what bad ones look like, it's time for you to enjoy your life with a good one! :bigsmile:
Thank you tammy! I absoultely do not feel guilty and haven't questioned my decision ONCE. Being with A is easy, amazing, and wonderful. He is a good one, and I plan on holding onto him.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

Sounds great and just how a good relationship should be!

I don't think that there is some rule about how long you should be single for etc after a break-up. My parents always advised us to get straight back out and dating again (probably in case we might get back together with whatever loser we had recently been wasting our time on!)

I'd be more likely to think 'slow down' if you were meeting people in bars and wondering if they will return your calls etc. This seems like a proper grown-up relationship with two people who mean each other well.

So, don't apologise, just enjoy it. I'm VERY happy for you!

audball

Ideal_Rock

Pandora|1316990430|3025384 said:
Sounds great and just how a good relationship should be!

I don't think that there is some rule about how long you should be single for etc after a break-up. My parents always advised us to get straight back out and dating again (probably in case we might get back together with whatever loser we had recently been wasting our time on!)

I'd be more likely to think 'slow down' if you were meeting people in bars and wondering if they will return your calls etc. This seems like a proper grown-up relationship with two people who mean each other well.

So, don't apologise, just enjoy it. I'm VERY happy for you!
Thanks Pandora! I know there aren't any 'rules', but I know a lot of people seem to think you should take some time. I did take a few weeks of not seeing him, but ultimately I felt ready, and it feels right.

Your'e right, I'm no bar hopper and this guy is different. He's WONDERFUL and I'm so happy. It is a very proper, grown-up relationship, and I couldn't imagine someone who is a better fit for me.

gammygam

Shiny_Rock

audball, I just wanted to let you know that I've been following your story and I'm very happy for you :appl:

audball

Ideal_Rock

gammygam|1317006677|3025594 said:
audball, I just wanted to let you know that I've been following your story and I'm very happy for you :appl:
Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results