shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought a ring and rock! Proposal time

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Definitely agree with the return option in your scenario - and also love the idea of doing a band somewhere special for both of you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe OP’s fiancée isn’t a PSer now... but once she gets this large “diamond” ring she might do internet searches, bringing her here...

Can you image how mortified she would be if she found this thread...

:(sad :shock: :cry:

No, she'll be moved that her fiance cared so much to make such an effort to do the best he could, and that he stressed about it so much. She will be very glad that he was smart enough to reach out for help, and that he received such good advice, and was smart enough to take it, all the with the intention of making her happy. That's what I would think. Good for him!!! :appl:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CD4D93BA-874B-4F9F-AEC1-BDFD8E10C4B8.png This is probly no help at all. I don’t have the pictures of the diamond on the scale. Just of the entire finished ring on the scale. Scale was zeroed before the weights. I saw it was 3.01 carat before it was set in the ring. But again I’m leaning more toward returning now with all the feedback

My vote - ask your guy if you can return. If he says yes, cool. Think about it if you want.

If he says no... well then you have your answer.

But right now I would want to know for certain if a return is possible. I also like the idea of you proposing with a Cartier tri-colour rolling ring, or something like that. The company is from Paris, the box would be divine! Set you back around $1000... but you could say, “Here’s the band, let’s find the diamond together. I want to have a lifetime of making decisions with you... let’s make the engagement ring decision together, I want to be certain you’ll adore it as much as I adore you!” Something like that.

I dunno. You seem like a romantic guy. You’ll figure it out! I’m rooting for you :)

And a story:
My friend’s bf messaged me. He was looking for an e-ring. I gave him advice. He chose to go his own way. The ring he got her is nice, but I know he overpaid and the quality is ok but nothing to exclaim about.

My friend and I went out for dinner to catch up. She was mesmerized by my half carat, D-colour, superideal round brilliant. PS quality. It was eye-catching, to say the least! And it made her decent stone really look... not as good.

PS-quality is no joke. We have high standards and know how to stretch a budget. You’re in good hands! Best of luck :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2439F01F-9CC1-4B52-B8F9-A82E8DC7B995.png 3D1D7D4D-599E-4D34-ACC6-A00C0470282F.png 560A98DE-929B-4AD7-8B85-92A813B857A9.png

Tiffany’s is also a French-based company and their interlocking rings are romantic and affordable. I wouldn’t recommend them as a wedding band, but as a right-hand ring and memento from your engagement trip, and the symbolism of two eternal circles intertwined... I dig it. But you know your girl’s style more than me!

Also if you want to be reeeeeeally sappy, you could get a necklace or something for her daughter, to commemorate the union etc. Put your own spin on it. But I’m very excited and happy for you! The jewelry is just a symbol, just metal and shiny rock. What really matters is the heart behind it, and you’ve got it! Best wishes!!!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS: @Corely please keep us posted. I soooo hope this all will get resolved asap. You seem like a very caring person and I have the deepest respect for your service for all of us in the free world. You and your family deserve only the best.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the total ct weight with setting and gold is 2.5, meaning the center Stone is nowhere near 3ct. This is a scam, plain and simple. Get your money back TODAY! the longer you wait, the less likely you will be able to return, and you're out 10k for something that liekly isn't a natrual diamond.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it just me or is anyone else getting a little emotional about this guy and his girl?
This has got to be one of the “PS Christmas Special Stories”.
Corely, I hope you will come back after your holiday and tell us how it all went.

Since Macron has been listening better, it looks as though things are going to be less dramatic in Paris now, thank goodness.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Is it just me or is anyone else getting a little emotional about this guy and his girl?
Corely, I hope you will come back after your holiday and tell us how it all went.

Since Macron has been listening better, it looks as though things are going to be less dramatic in Paris now, thank goodness.
It's not just you. I definitely feel vested in their story. I wish them both the best.

Corely

Rough_Rock

Man I hope so.. however this mass shooting at the Christmas Market in Straussborg does not help things. Gonna cost about $600 in fees to change flights plus the cost of new flights.. and I already paid $3k for an Eiffel tower view suite at Melia ... so... lets just hope France chills out its revolution quest and embraces the holiday spirit for a bit.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I’m definitely not trying to be rude but I would say the following to a friend. Everyone here is rooting for you. You are clearly a sweetheart and a great catch ;)2.

I get the impression that the reason you are struggling to let go of this ring and rationalising your choice to hold on to it is because you have invested just so much physical and emotional energy into this proposal. Letting go of this particular ring doesn't mean you have wasted your time. The more you cling on to it the harder it will be to let go and find another one. It has been an educational journey and one of love (not to be sappy).

Giving up on this ring also doesn't mean you will not have an AMAZING proposal. YOU will regardless of ring.
I had the best proposal I could have dreamed of, mainly because it was so personal to us. I got a proposal ring I HATED, with the idea that my fiancé and I would pick and design one together. Regardless of the ring I had the most special time and was/am over the moon. I didn't give two hoots that I hated it haha!! In fact I was touched that my fiancé wanted to make sure the ring would be something I would be happy to wear forever. It was also wonderful getting the ring together.

Anyways, all in all your fiancé to be will be thrilled to marry you regardless of this ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man I hope so.. however this mass shooting at the Christmas Market in Straussborg does not help things. Gonna cost about $600 in fees to change flights plus the cost of new flights.. and I already paid $3k for an Eiffel tower view suite at Melia ... so... lets just hope France chills out its revolution quest and embraces the holiday spirit for a bit.

Um yikes, I need to check the news....sad :((

Can you just postpone this whole thing???

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Return now - Before it is not an option (if it ever was). No exchanges!! Get your money and start over, please.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Sad to say I don’t think OP will return the ring. The other thread has more details. I do wish him luck though.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for perspective : I'm living in France, greater
Paris area, and have not been affected at all by the protests. Obviously I didn't go to the Champs Élysées when they had scheduled (yes, the protest march was scheduled and we all knew it was going to take place) the protests. I am not French myself, so I have problems understanding their ways (riots seem to be part of many political discourses here). But it's not like portrayed in the foreign media like the whole country is under siege or anything. I haven't even seen a single yellow vest on anyone.

The shooting is very very tragic and my heart goes out to the victims and their families.

It is a terrorist attack. However it's also as if I'd cancel a planned trip to NY because of a shooting somewhere in the US that day.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After seeing a side pic of the stone alone in a holder, I would STRONGLY SUGGEST HE RETURN IT.

He was scammed. BIG TIME scammed.

Yup. Massively scammed.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for perspective : I'm living in France, greater
Paris area, and have not been affected at all by the protests. Obviously I didn't go to the Champs Élysées when they had scheduled (yes, the protest march was scheduled and we all knew it was going to take place) the protests. I am not French myself, so I have problems understanding their ways (riots seem to be part of many political discourses here). But it's not like portrayed in the foreign media like the whole country is under siege or anything. I haven't even seen a single yellow vest on anyone.

The shooting is very very tragic and my heart goes out to the victims and their families.

It is a terrorist attack. However it's also as if I'd cancel a planned trip to NY because of a shooting somewhere in the US that day.

Kipari, I live in France part time and was planning to start a thread to see who lives in France.
Now I know at least one PSer who does : )
A friend of mine with a BnB a couple of hours outside the city had many cancellations from Americans last season who were afraid to come to France...ironically some of them were from American cities with actual high crime rates.
The news reports can really make it sound as though the whole country is in flames so I appreciate that you gave perspective.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jimmianne not to get this thread off topic too much, but I'm happy to answer any France related questions if I can

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Ok I pulled the trigger and hope I didn’t screw up. What do you guys think? 3.01 princess cut center diamond H color SI1 rating. 45 total diamonds in white gold got the purchase price down to $9,800. He wanted $16k originally purchased from a vendor I trust and have bought from many times in Afghanistan ring was made in India never bought diamonds

I don't know if theses useful but @Corely you say H colour, report says I colour. And the rest of us say much lower. How did the vendor explain the difference between what he claimed as colour and the report? Also a red flag from the start...

Corely

Rough_Rock
1CA9D527-EF4B-439C-AF18-F998DBD8AC8D.jpeg 3AFC4664-AB2B-4714-B477-EC2A47B53117.jpeg F87CDB98-9682-43C0-B160-5AB90DBB591B.jpeg D1D321A7-980A-4269-AC7B-AC298B9B15A7.jpeg 6D855A9A-0ABA-4B9C-9740-861C31A98879.jpeg Update ring scam watch 2018:

Ok so just got back from seeing the vendor. Had a very polite nice respectful conversation with him. A refund is no problem at all. As you can see the BX has a 30 day refund policy on jewelry anyway that this guy has to honor. That being said. We have had a relationship based on trust for a year and a half now. So I let him prove to me as best he could that he is selling legit stuff. 2 different zeroed scales. And a diamond tester. But... I let him know this diamond will not work. So...... I leave in 7 days. He asked me to give him an opportunity to find me something better. So on Sunday I am going back and he will have 3-4 different 3 + carat square cut diamonds. Princess or cushion. I told him the color and cut must be better and it has to look like a 3 carat stone no matter what the weight or demensions say. Of this can’t be done it’s refund time and he agrees that’s no problem. I have spent thousands at this guys store and $10k is $10k.... would suck to get ripped off but it’s not the end of the world. I’m more concerned with having a quality ring to give her for this proposal. Btw. This vendor does not even have to be there for the refund. The refund can be done at the main BX office with or without the vendor. So. I chance of him skipping out on me. Also. Not often but sometimes he has stones that already have certs from GIA. I told him ideally that’s what I want him to bring. So we are gonna let this guy have one more shot and if no better stone on Sunday it’s refund time. Also. Yes the setting needs work. But in all reality the setting is just for the presentation of the proposal. There has always been a huge chance we will just have a new ring made stateside cause their metal work isn’t spectacular here and all done by hand. I’m concerned with the stone. So we will see come Sunday if it’s a new fix or back to the drawing board. Thanks for all y’all help!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jimmianne not to get this thread off topic too much, but I'm happy to answer any France related questions if I can
Apology in advance to the thread for this hijack.
Thanks, kipari. How long have you been there?
Do you get back to the states?
I would like a way to contact you, but you would have to contact me first. I’m on LT with some listings under the same name.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1CA9D527-EF4B-439C-AF18-F998DBD8AC8D.jpeg 3AFC4664-AB2B-4714-B477-EC2A47B53117.jpeg F87CDB98-9682-43C0-B160-5AB90DBB591B.jpeg D1D321A7-980A-4269-AC7B-AC298B9B15A7.jpeg 6D855A9A-0ABA-4B9C-9740-861C31A98879.jpeg Update ring scam watch 2018:

Ok so just got back from seeing the vendor. Had a very polite nice respectful conversation with him. A refund is no problem at all. As you can see the BX has a 30 day refund policy on jewelry anyway that this guy has to honor. That being said. We have had a relationship based on trust for a year and a half now. So I let him prove to me as best he could that he is selling legit stuff. 2 different zeroed scales. And a diamond tester. But... I let him know this diamond will not work. So...... I leave in 7 days. He asked me to give him an opportunity to find me something better. So on Sunday I am going back and he will have 3-4 different 3 + carat square cut diamonds. Princess or cushion. I told him the color and cut must be better and it has to look like a 3 carat stone no matter what the weight or demensions say. Of this can’t be done it’s refund time and he agrees that’s no problem. I have spent thousands at this guys store and $10k is $10k.... would suck to get ripped off but it’s not the end of the world. I’m more concerned with having a quality ring to give her for this proposal. Btw. This vendor does not even have to be there for the refund. The refund can be done at the main BX office with or without the vendor. So. I chance of him skipping out on me. Also. Not often but sometimes he has stones that already have certs from GIA. I told him ideally that’s what I want him to bring. So we are gonna let this guy have one more shot and if no better stone on Sunday it’s refund time. Also. Yes the setting needs work. But in all reality the setting is just for the presentation of the proposal. There has always been a huge chance we will just have a new ring made stateside cause their metal work isn’t spectacular here and all done by hand. I’m concerned with the stone. So we will see come Sunday if it’s a new fix or back to the drawing board. Thanks for all y’all help!

Glad to hear the refund is going to work out. :) <Insert thank you dear sweet baby Jesus GIF> As for an exchange, I would not accept anything unless it is GIA or AGS certified. That is an absolute must in this situation. If he cannot come to you with a stone that has a GIA certificate. with matching inscription on the girdle confirmed under a loupe, then don't even bother.

If he can come up with a GIA-certed stone between 2 and 3 carats, bring it back to this thread with pics and the GIA number so we can let you know whether it is a fair deal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results