shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought a ring and rock! Proposal time

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I leave for there on Friday and think we are OK if we stay alert and stay out of certain areas.
Reading this thread I am reminded of what brought me to PS in the first place. i bought a diamond, came to PS for opinions, and that is how I got my education. Wishing you all the best in all things! : )

Many of us did not get the “thumbs up” on our initial selections as we expected - and then we learned a lot. And we have prettier diamonds because of it - yay!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if you keep the stone, please have a skilled, experienced jeweler reset much lower. Those four highly exposed straight edges are begging to be chipped. :eek2:
And just find a quiet private small restaurant in the residential neighborhoods to propose. It does not need to be a big deal, just sincere and from the heart. I really don't get the trend toward elaborate proposals these days.

Corely

Rough_Rock
So?.. I guess just out of curiosity. How much should I have paid for this ring as it is? I know there are better out there but this is what they have out here. If she doesn't like it or it comes back all skewed its getting returned. Just need to know if I want a full refund or to refund the amount up to what I should have paid I guess.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have not read the whole thread as I just got back from a long day and am tired. But I'm going to be very blunt: My opinion is that you should return the ring. I think the diamond and ring are unattractive. The fact that you've bought things from this jeweler and had them appraise higher in the US means pretty much nothing. Jewelry is usually appraised for "feel good" prices, not realistic prices. I just had a ring made and the appraisal is for more than twice the price I paid. That lab report is practically worthless. It's not from a reliable lab. You can do so much better. A smaller but much more beautiful diamond would be a lot better use of your money. I seriously don't want to offend you here. It's just that you asked and you have the option for a refund. I would take that option ASAP and start over with a GIA or AGS graded diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So?.. I guess just out of curiosity. How much should I have paid for this ring as it is? I know there are better out there but this is what they have out here. If she doesn't like it or it comes back all skewed its getting returned. Just need to know if I want a full refund or to refund the amount up to what I should have paid I guess.

Please just get a refund. This stone isn't good, and almost 10K is a ton of money! Yes you'll get a smaller stone than 3ct, but it'll look bigger/better/more noticible bc it will sparkle so much more.
That looks brutally uncomfortable!
This seems like an unnecessarily rude comment

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
The thing is we don't even know if it is 3cts.....as above posters mentioned its stated dimensions are off. It is also most certainly not an I colour.
This may give you an idea of price for princess in lower colour ranges:

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/search?vendor=-1&branded=None&inhouse=-1&shape=8&minprice=1&maxprice=1000000&mincarat=2.7&maxcarat=3.1&mindepth=58&maxdepth=63&mintable=53&maxtable=62&mincut=1&maxcut=6&mincolor=6&maxcolor=23&minclarity=6&maxclarity=9&minsymmetry=1&maxsymmetry=8&minpolish=1&maxpolish=8&min_cut_gia=1&max_cut_gia=6&min_cut_ags=1&max_cut_ags=7&minflourescence=1&maxflourescence=6&checkbox_panel1=04,05&checkbox_panel2=&sort=price-asc&page=1&pageview=24&adv=false&days=100&cert_number=

One of the cheapest options shown is 2.7 its but it has greater dimensions than the one you currently have.

Perhaps if you looked at say 2.5 K colour princess cuts you could find something. You seem happy with the colour of the current diamond so you could look at ones lower down the scale than I. Also if size is crucial certain shapes face up larger. Pear, marquise, OVAL...all look more than their weight

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’d like to add a small comment here about how it felt to find that my partner had overpaid for my diamond.

He worked so hard, looked at hundreds of rings, and found one that was totally perfect for me, struggled for months to pay for it... and then was so proud to present it. (I think that might be how you are feeling now? Proud, nervous, excited?)

Later I discovered Pricescope, and learned a little, and then realized that the stone was bad. It was devastating to know the stone was worth very little. At that time, I couldn’t believe the blunt wisdoms people here had offered about the poor quality and I felt hurt and indignant for a few moments... until I realized they were right. The rose colored tint then fell from my eyes. Like ‘taking the red pill’ as gentlemen these days say.

I still love the ring setting and plan to put a good diamond into it someday. But it’s a very bad feeling for a man to find he overpaid, and almost as bad for the lady to find out about it.... she is powerless and mortified and embarrassed that the gorgeous bling she flashed to her family and friends turned out to be.... not what she thought.

Pricescope is your absolute best friend right now - the people here know **so much** and are taking time to type out advice hoping you will listen. I hope you take the first available opportunity to return the ring for a refund. We will help you find another stone - fedex delivers so quickly you could get a plain platinum band and still make her dreams come true... why not propose at your chosen lunch spot, use the mirror scratching lore, and then say, “Let’s go right now and get you a stone that will carve your heart into these mirrors?” And then go look at stones after she says YES.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you send the princess ring back today. Don’t let what happened to me ever happen to her. <3

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you came to PS, I assume you are ok with honest answers. I'm in the group of folks that have deep concerns. But, you have not really expressed the cultural constraints you are working within. If size, measured by weight, is the top concern -- you may have achieved your goal. If color, value, or what size it "looks" like are important -- this stone presents problems.

1) The stone in the photo is highly tinted. I won't offer a color opinion based on a single photo, but it is well below an I. Further, princess cuts don't hide color well and that can be an issue if size is not HER top priority.
2) The grading report is no GIA or AGS. An appraisal can be helpful by an independent appraiser, provided they know you want an actual truthful report -- not a feel-good insurance report. GIA or AGS should be the decider on color and cut quality (ideally, AGS provided ASET).
3) The stone's measurements don't make sense for a stone this size. Either this thing has huge keel on the bottom, or the report is faulted.
4) The price at $10k usd is way too good to be true. If the weight is accurate, that vendor sold you a diamond below their cost. Not gonna happen.

There are so many red flags. I'd get a refund and walk away. Also, has the intended recipient said they wanted a princess cut? They are very much love or hate.

Corely

Rough_Rock
6572740F-1A10-45CF-8BB6-859155C27661.png
The lighting is not good and the paperwork has no numbers on it, so it's really difficult for me to give you any useful feedback. Maybe post some additional photos of the ring in brighter, natural light.

I just made a new thread titled pics in natural light of the ring. Any input is welcome. I know this isn’t an ideal stone but I think outside of that’s bad industrial lights shows it much better. Thanks for the input. More pics are in that new thread.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Corely :))

PLEASE don't ask her to scratch a mirror with that diamond! If there are any clarity enhancements it could EASILY crack before the eyes of both of you - and that just gives my imagination a nightmare scenario! This stone may not be up to any pressure at all, so no cutting anything with it please!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha.. nice.. How did those opinions work out in comparison to the stone you bought? As for Paris. We are staying at Melia in La Defense hoping its clear of all the chaos. Really hoping the chaos is completely done with by then really. Looks like just around the Champs Elysees is where one needs to avoid. But if all the cool tourist things are closed that kind of kills the mood. If we go and protests are scheduled for that Saturday we may take a train to Lyon or just do Versailles that day. Stay safe good luck on your travels.
Those sound like excellent options. It is all so special no matter what. I am excited for you, with your secret mission in France.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a 3.01 GIA K color princess.

Notice the measurements are: 7.90 x 7.72 x 5.68 (5.68 is depth).

https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11660536/3-01-carat-princess-diamond-k-color-si1-clarity

As others have pointed out, whether or not yours weighs 3.01 is suspect but it doesn’t LOOK like a 3.01 carat stone. You paid for stuff you can’t see.

I also suspect yours could be clarity enhanced. Would you ask the seller if it is a natural mined diamond and did it have any enhancements? Thanks.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3...ct TOTAL weight - what's the bet?? SO MANY people make this mistake. I'll bet there's at least 1ct in the setting, making the center stone 2 ct or less. So here's what I think is going on with your stone....

I think your TOTAL ctw is 3ct. I think your center stone is 2ct or less. The depth on your center stone is a little below 59%. Princess stones are NEVER cut this shallow. Like - there is NOTHING on the entire James Allen website, any ct weight, any cut, any color - NOTHING - cut as shallow as this. Why? because that is one SHOCKINGLY cut stone. However....

This is how they're passing it off as 3ct: make the whole thing equal 3 ctw, cut super shallow, distract with a halo, throw in a scammy 'certificate' that my aunt Sally could have written - and there you have it.

The big giveaway here is not so much the length and breadth - tho this is a Big Red Flag - it's the DEPTH.

And the color! Oh man - that color...

There is no way it's a decent cut - too much black around the center. And there is no way breathing that is an I. In some of your shots it is VERY tinted.

At most, I would pay 1k for the setting. Too much metal, uneven, tinted melee.

So - how much would I pay for this ring? Nothing, because I woudn't touch that with a barge pole. But if this is the sort of thing I wanted, with that cut and color and indeterminate clarity, probably around 7k at most. More like 6.5k.

So here's the acid test. You have said many times that you can return the ring. Have you ever tried to return a big ticket item to this vendor? Anyone who does a certificate like this is not, I'm guessing, going to stand behind their product.

I wish you the best, I really do! But this isn't it - by a long shot.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3...ct TOTAL weight - what's the bet?? SO MANY people make this mistake. I'll bet there's at least 1ct in the setting, making the center stone 2 ct or less. So here's what I think is going on with your stone....

I think your TOTAL ctw is 3ct. I think your center stone is 2ct or less. The depth on your center stone is a little below 59%. Princess stones are NEVER cut this shallow. Like - there is NOTHING on the entire James Allen website, any ct weight, any cut, any color - NOTHING - cut as shallow as this. Why? because that is one SHOCKINGLY cut stone. However....

This is how they're passing it off as 3ct: make the whole thing equal 3 ctw, cut super shallow, distract with a halo, throw in a scammy 'certificate' that my aunt Sally could have written - and there you have it.

The big giveaway here is not so much the length and breadth - tho this is a Big Red Flag - it's the DEPTH.

And the color! Oh man - that color...

There is no way it's a decent cut - too much black around the center. And there is no way breathing that is an I. In some of your shots it is VERY tinted.

At most, I would pay 1k for the setting. Too much metal, uneven, tinted melee.

So - how much would I pay for this ring? Nothing, because I woudn't touch that with a barge pole. But if this is the sort of thing I wanted, with that cut and color and indeterminate clarity, probably around 7k at most. More like 6.5k.

So here's the acid test. You have said many times that you can return the ring. Have you ever tried to return a big ticket item to this vendor? Anyone who does a certificate like this is not, I'm guessing, going to stand behind their product.

I wish you the best, I really do! But this isn't it - by a long shot.

This. With the formula for princess weight, (see other thread) this center stone is about 1.95 carats. The diamond is too high and crooked.

It’s likely 3.01 total carats for all the diamonds added together. All the diamonds have tint, though from pics it’s so hard to figure out. And the measurements stil don’t make sense at all.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly . This vendor just made 9k for a ring that's nowhere near worth that. And is he likely to take a return for a full refund?? HECK NO. I promise he'll try to pull some BS about how you can't return it anymore because it's been too long, or bc of other random issues. No chance he takes it back after your long trip. Like almost 0% chance.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, Most likely!..;)) look at the report..."weight" +/- 3.01 ct?? :rolleyes: +/- what ??? 1ct??? :knockout:

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
This. With the formula for princess weight, (see other thread) this center stone is about 1.95 carats. The diamond is too high and crooked.

It’s likely 3.01 total carats for all the diamonds added together. All the diamonds have tint, though from pics it’s so hard to figure out. And the measurements stil don’t make sense at all.

Except the report indicates measurements and says “princess,” which the other stones are not. Pretty sure that report is just for the center stone, and OP said it was weighed in front of him at the 3.01.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Corely, I'm sorry this may have been a rough education but I promise we all want the best for you & your future fiance. :wavey:

I agree with the others - return this ring ASAP. Start afresh with a quality, certified diamond and let us help you get this ring perfect. Your proposal plan sounds magical, perhaps just propose with a plain band then you can create a masterpiece TOGETHER! :dance:

If you are really desperate to get something on the way back from deployment - go to http://www.aussiemikes.org/ in Dubai as many of my husband's colleagues have. He is probably the most honest & reliable in that neck of the woods.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can return it, cool.

Any PSers ever ship a ring to a hotel? Maybe he could send a Whiteflash or James Allen to g to Paris.

If you can’t return it, don’t worry too much. Your gf is not a PSer, she’ll love it. You’re a very nice guy and she’s lucky to have you :)

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you can return it, cool.

Any PSers ever ship a ring to a hotel? Maybe he could send a Whiteflash or James Allen to g to Paris.

If you can’t return it, don’t worry too much. Your gf is not a PSer, she’ll love it. You’re a very nice guy and she’s lucky to have you :)

My husband shipped my (first) ring to a hotel- very doable.

Must say though I am 100% on board with returning and celebrating with bands in Paris! That sounds fantastic to me!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had several items shipped to hotels without any issues. However in this case I'd probably not it, since it's really difficult to receive any items in France from the US. You'll pay roughly 30 %customs and duties plus a handling fee. This is non refundable or if so (because you are not a US citizen )a Huge hassle. FedEx requires also a carrier address and payment (of all fees) upon receipt.
The FedEx /ups/DHL centers are in industrial areas and you'd lose the better part of a day going there. I think Dubai is your best bet....

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Maybe OP’s fiancée isn’t a PSer now... but once she gets this large “diamond” ring she might do internet searches, bringing her here...

Can you image how mortified she would be if she found this thread...

:(sad :shock: :cry:

Corely

Rough_Rock
CD4D93BA-874B-4F9F-AEC1-BDFD8E10C4B8.png This is probly no help at all. I don’t have the pictures of the diamond on the scale. Just of the entire finished ring on the scale. Scale was zeroed before the weights. I saw it was 3.01 carat before it was set in the ring. But again I’m leaning more toward returning now with all the feedback

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results