shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue spinel opinion please?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I searched Yavorskyy because I thought that was the lab certificate you were questioning. Either way- good luck with your quest for the blue gemstone that makes your heart sing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d spring for an AGL Brief if it’s sold as cobalt spinel. Spinel looks lovely, even if a bit sleepy.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great finds!!! I am gearing towards the blue sapphire. Would be great if you could compare the stones in real life and see which one makes your heart sing

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just for info, a spinel of that color is orders of magnitude rarer than even a comparable - royal blue - unheated sapphire. They're ridiculously rare and usually go for eye popping premiums from even one gem dealer to another simply because you see something like that very rarely and when you do, you either pay the price or lose it. So if by some chance the price isn't insane, it would be a stone to consider keeping. But to be fair, it does look a bit dim and if color is the only consideration - if rarity doesn't matter at all - then it's understandable you'd be on the fence.

The blue sapphire is really nice too though. Seems to have nice brilliance and the color is pleasant. A few photos make it seem like there's color zoning but it could be just the light (and that's always a lot more visible to the camera than it is to the eyes).

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
That color and saturation in a blue spinel is rare. I do not see any half and half extinction. To choose the spinel or sapphire will depend on what you would like to accomplish. Such as if you are creating a jewelry piece and the main criteria is a nice blue stone. If color is the main criteria I would choose the spinel. The rarity of such a nice blue spinel is a bonus.
What is this "half and half extinction" you speak of here?

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ack! I need closure, is there no video comparison of the stones when they arrived??! What happened here, which stone was chosen?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results