carat
color
clarity

Blue spinel opinion please?

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I was wondering what you thought of this blue spinel. Does it look like it has half/half extinction? Do you think it is too dark?
Thanks so much for your help!

197BF2AD-FE00-460C-872F-130E67EC1A6E.jpeg 0A58F91C-325C-4049-B1DA-F47532F01C01.jpeg 8E3715FD-A06E-43E7-A1E4-C3E2454E4935.jpeg

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It doesn’t look too dark to me, but then again my blue spinels are darker than this one. This is a pretty color. When spinels are dark, they tend to do better than other dark gems. They seem to sparkle or have life to then no matter what. Someone who knows more than I do can tell you about extinction in that stone.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm only a newbie but that looks like a lovely colour :)

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think the color is pretty also. Is there a reason a sapphire would be better?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous! I’d check it out under various lights to be on the safe side.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@chrono

Yes - very important here. Especially good daylight and incandescent light pics without photoshop or
LED

I purchased two smaller Cobalt ( blue ) Spinel / Sri Lanka from the original vendor (first pic ) of this 1,04 ct stone...

0,20 ct and 0,23 ct - very expensive and honestly disappointing - cutting is great but never the color like in the pics - close is only LED.

Larger one has a bit violet but like the smaller one some gray too.

Cobalt spinel - yes. But never the color of fine Luc Yen stones or extremely rare fine vivid blue Sri Lanka stones.

An fine sapphire around 1,20 ct would be a maybe better choice...

IMG_2022.PNG IMG_2023.PNG

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
Nosean,
Did you keep the stones? Do you have pictures to show the difference in what you saw? I did ask for pictures in different lighting. I appreciate your reply having bought from this vendor.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes - I kept them - don't want to explain why....

AND NO!!! I purchased from the vendor of your first pic - the stone was sold and is offered now from another vendor!!

Will make pics compared to Luc Yen and a fine Sri Lanka sapphire in daylight...

Here a pic in terrible light conditions- 60 Watt bulb - all cobalt spinel

BUT - I don't know how the 1,04 ct looks in real life - maybe great??

But be picky... IMG_2027.JPG

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it's a lovely colour - not a shade I've seen in a sapphire. It almost has a Tanzanite-esque vibrancy to it.

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
Nosean,

Thanks for that picture. The vendor pics are definitely different. A lot brighter and more saturated. I really like the color of your square spinel on the left. The one I posted looks a bit darker, and now knowing that in real life it is probably not as bright makes me pause.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The square is only 0,11 ct - "Your" oval 1,04 ct....

The color will better better than my two stones - please post pics...

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ok Nosean, so it wasn’t the same vendor. So maybe the hand pics are not that off. I will have to wait for the pictures I asked for in different lighting

Okay, here is a sapphire from the same vendor. Opinions?

151E3B0B-1A6E-4036-9B4E-76BD5A5C042D.jpeg C342BFFD-C704-4DA0-99CD-965FE4E21821.jpeg

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes - the hand pics are not from the first vendor.

I need to know the light conditions in the sapphire too.

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
I asked about the lighting in their pics, and am waiting for their reply. Will post when I find out. Thanks

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A pic with the spinel and the sapphire together in daylight would be great.

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
The vendor said the pictures were taken with indoor natural light. Here is a video of the sapphire. I also asked for pictures of both stones together,

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nice sapphire....

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
And here is a video of the spinel

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I saw that sapphire yesterday (?) when it was first listed in her shop. I don't see it now. Anyhow, I loved it! There's probably a thread on here about it.

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
Well I ordered them both as I can return them. I just need to see the spinel in person and the sapphire looked pretty good too so I thought I would compare them. The Spinel might be too dark once set . I know the sapphire can’t be the most coveted color as although it is agl certified and unheated the price is not as high as ones I have been looking at, especially for the weight 2.7 ct. I will post once I have them.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If the spinel is like the video you will get a gorgous and extremely rare stone..

Please don't compare it to a sapphire alone - a spinel like that is a holy grail for collectors!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That color and saturation in a blue spinel is rare. I do not see any half and half extinction. To choose the spinel or sapphire will depend on what you would like to accomplish. Such as if you are creating a jewelry piece and the main criteria is a nice blue stone. If color is the main criteria I would choose the spinel. The rarity of such a nice blue spinel is a bonus.

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the Input. I really don’t know much about spinels. I was originally looking for a blue sapphire when I happened upon the spinel listing and was taken by the color. I don’t have the opportunity to look at any spinels or even nice sapphires in person so online is the best way for me. It’s not that I’m comparing them to each other as much as to see what look I prefer.
I am very curious about the sapphire though. I would love a more electric blue color like that if the spinel but that of course would make the price a lot higher and it does seem to be a very good cut. And of course the size is larger. The blue spinels I’ve seen on pricescope have been more green blue but I haven’t searched specifically to look at them, I should do that.
How would you describe the color of the sapphire from what you see?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's nice that you will be able to see the stones in person and compare. I am not sure of the pricing of these stones but unless they are inexpensive I would want a lab report from a reputable lab.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The sapphire is beautiful too, but I actually think the spinel is a bit prettier and spinels that color are like a needle in a haystack.

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
The sapphire has an AGL and AIGS cert, however the spinel only has
A certificate from the Yavorskyy lab. I’ve read a bit about him on here but also read that I should only accept a stone with an AGL report. So if I really like the look of the spinel I would assume I would need to send it to AGL to verify it. The seller has said they will accept a return for those reasons past their return date,

What are your opinions on a Yavorskyy certificate?

Another question, I did a bit of reading today about cobalt spinel and cobalt blue spinel. This spinel is labeled as cobalt blue. I thought if it said cobalt blue it was describing the color not content,, however the seller said if I send it to AGL I should tell them it is a cobalt spinel so they test for it. So do I not understand correctly or did the seller just not use the technical term if it does indeed have cobalt in it?

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I remember reading the detailed description of this stone a while ago and IIRC, the vendor stated it was an actual cobalt spinel, not just a cobalt colored spinel. Sorry, when I made my first comment on this thread, I didn’t realize I had seen it. I would get an AGL report, just because it’s such a rare stone, especially at that size.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Wow... these are both beautiful stones. I love the sapphire though. I was just speaking with an appraiser who was raving about her new blue spinel. For me though, I cannot appreciate the beauty or rarity of spinels if a perfect blue one hit me On the head, so for me, my choice would be a sapphire.

I would definitely get an AGL Origin report that will tell you country of origin and also any treatments that were used if any.

Both stones are gorgeous.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL will give you piece of mind that you have a cobalt spinel. And if this is the same seller who sells on Ebay, Toohaus would be a good reference to search.

sunsetviewer

Rough_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure if the seller is on eBay. It’s OTL from CDgemstone, I see she is on here as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results