color
clarity

Blue sapphire question

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My poor pink spinel looks awful on me, so I’m going to try and find a chocolate diamond setting for it. It the poor gem’s last chance as I cannot part with it!!

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
I have an extremely dark blue sapphire that I bought a long time ago and was so pleased just to be able to say I owned a sapphire. As I learned more about stones I realized that it really wasn't a very great sapphire, but I still tried to convince myself that there was SOME blue in it!

Then the toddler started talking, and learning his colors, and he loves to look at my gemstone collection. He pointed to the topazes and said, "Boo." (blue). Then he pointed to my sapphire and said... "Ba." (Black).

Oh well. :lol:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Such a cute story, @sydneyatl :P2 thanks for sharing it.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
...Then the toddler started talking, and learning his colors, and he loves to look at my gemstone collection. He pointed to the topazes and said, "Boo." (blue). Then he pointed to my sapphire and said... "Ba." (Black).

Oh well. :lol:

:kiss2:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Trying to "read" that blue from the sapphire of The Al Thani Collection. It looks a bit silky than the other royal ones...?

_DSC6604.jpg baafd35170d77aa00f4cf2e0de5b7415.jpg Christies-Blue-Diamond-Brooch.jpg Sapphire and Diamond Turban ornament.jpg The Al Thani Collection.jpg

I think it's wee bit too deep for me and I still prefer the Roadshow blue.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Rad_Fan @T L @arkieb1 @voce

Great thread and I enjoyed looking at all the photos very much!

Here’s a stone recently sold on jewels by grace: I attached two photos of the over 5 carat sapphire from the website. What do you think accounts for the discrepancy between how it looks in the first shot in the sun (IMHO more saturated) vs the hand shot, other than the light? Seems like a big difference to me.

FEBA6AED-9DE1-4DB4-A7B7-FF6ED012F375.jpeg
6790C810-C648-473D-A0A0-739C39DF06E3.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Rad_Fan @T L @arkieb1 @voce

Great thread and I enjoyed looking at all the photos very much!

Here’s a stone recently sold on jewels by grace: I attached two photos of the over 5 carat sapphire from the website. What do you think accounts for the discrepancy between how it looks in the first shot in the sun (IMHO more saturated) vs the hand shot, other than the light? Seems like a big difference to me.

FEBA6AED-9DE1-4DB4-A7B7-FF6ED012F375.jpeg
6790C810-C648-473D-A0A0-739C39DF06E3.jpeg
I don't think the two pictures look different, not really; once you have got a colored gem in hand, you'll see that it looks different based on the light setting. Gemstones are creatures of light, as all they do is reflect light; even the angle you view the gemstone from affects the color you see.

Just curious, what makes you think the first picture is in the sun? The background certainly doesn't suggest so.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second picture looks a little greyer. Maybe a different light source, or the white balance in the photo is off (which might account for the very pink looking hand). I like the silk in the stone and the cutting looks nice, although it would be nice to get a depth shot.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@voce sorry meant to say in indirect sunlight judging from the sun and the shadows in the background. I’ve often found that my own stones shine best so to speak in indirect sunlight for some reason.

I don’t know, I thought about buying that stone but did not because I thought the shot against the hand was a bit gray and not as saturated as I would have liked. Very hard to truly judge a stone without seeing it in person! But I think it sold for over $14k and for that amount I did want to be absolutely sure before I committed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce sorry meant to say in indirect sunlight judging from the sun and the shadows in the background. I’ve often found that my own stones shine best so to speak in indirect sunlight for some reason.

I don’t know, I thought about buying that stone but did not because I thought the shot against the hand was a bit gray and not as saturated as I would have liked. Very hard to truly judge a stone without seeing it in person! But I think it sold for over $14k and for that amount I did want to be absolutely sure before I committed.
Actually a clean well cut 5 carat stone, with nice silk, that sells for 14k is going to be either very included or grayish, especially if it’s unheated (is it?). That’s slightly less than $2k:ct for a sizable stone. If it were highly saturated, expect to pay a great deal more.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
If you check out the sapphire buying journey by @mpc , you can see more of her comment on stone 4, post #50, I too loved that hue under the sun but not so much from those hand shots. Maybe @mpc would come and comment more since she had it once? It was because of her illustrations of those sapphires, I learned that I have to keep the shifting blue color in mind.

I thought it was a decent per ct price too with my limited research :?:. Didn't it used to own by a PS member? I thought I saw it on the Pre-loved forum before it was sent to JBG. Below is the same sapphire in it's original setting.

JBG

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock

Ah, you were guessing then. My guess is that the first shot isn't in sunlight but in studio lighting. That's the best it's going to look, but the hand shot is the closest probably too how you'll see the stone, if you purchase it. Not going for it was definitely the right decision.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Rad_Fan Ah, thanks for the backstory to that stone, and the helpful links—I see what you mean about the shifting. And yes, the closes bezel setting IMHO actually brought out the color of the stone the best.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t mind a little gray in my sapphire, and I love that it’s not overly dark, and I love the shape and chunky facets. I think it would look gorgeous in the right setting. It’s hard to see the full potential in a loose stone.

However, I’m not the one who has to love it. If $14k is around the OP’s budget, and she wants a more saturated gem, expect to get something smaller and/or more included and/or treated.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@Rad_Fan Ah, thanks for the backstory to that stone, and the helpful links—I see what you mean about the shifting. And yes, the closes bezel setting IMHO actually brought out the color of the stone the best.

That setting isn't my cup of tea...:lol-2: but I do lust after that sunny blue! :love: I wish it wasn't cut so deep and stayed blue indoor.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
More window shopping fun, in additional to summer sale offered by 2 popular PS listed vendors, Skyjems is also running a sale. Why this time of the year? Slow time for vendors after big gem shows?

voce

Ideal_Rock
More window shopping fun, in additional to summer sale offered by 2 popular PS listed vendors, Skyjems is also running a sale. Why this time of the year? Slow time for vendors after big gem shows?
This is just my opinion. May, June, July, August, September are the months for emerald, diamond, ruby, spinel, and sapphire. These are big ticket items! If you sell one of these, it may be as much cash flow as five tanzanites, 100 topazes, or ten garnets.

mpc

Rough_Rock
If you check out the sapphire buying journey by @mpc , you can see more of her comment on stone 4, post #50, I too loved that hue under the sun but not so much from those hand shots. Maybe @mpc would come and comment more since she had it once? It was because of her illustrations of those sapphires, I learned that I have to keep the shifting blue color in mind.

I thought it was a decent per ct price too with my limited research :?:. Didn't it used to own by a PS member? I thought I saw it on the Pre-loved forum before it was sent to JBG. Below is the same sapphire in it's original setting.

JBG
Hi all! Great thread! Yes I did purchase this stone and returned it. I thought the stone was a good value- decently cut, faced up large, unheated, GIA veered, and it looked great in some lighting. As I mentioned in my other post, it looked greyish and more violet in my office (even worse than the handshot in the JbG pic), where unfortunately I spend most of my day looking at it. In sunlight it really was beautiful though and the outdoor video from JbG accurately captures the pretty BLUE color. Indoors, more violet and gray. I was surprised at the strong shift!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@mpc I've been stalking DK's IG account for...:twisted2::lol-2:

Reactions: mpc

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
This is just my opinion. May, June, July, August, September are the months for emerald, diamond, ruby, spinel, and sapphire. These are big ticket items! If you sell one of these, it may be as much cash flow as five tanzanites, 100 topazes, or ten garnets.

Might be, but I've not seen "marked down" like that from the diamond vendors. Mostly they promote setting sale only, not on loose stones.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most if not all sapphires colour shift (they will be darker or lighter depending upon lighting and where you are), that one had too much grey and violet for my own personal taste but many many people like or prefer that colour to darker straight blue ones, it comes down to personal preference.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Most if not all sapphires colour shift (they will be darker or lighter depending upon lighting and where you are), that one had too much grey and violet for my own personal taste but many many people like or prefer that colour to darker straight blue ones, it comes down to personal preference.

I need to train my eyes more for sure:oops2:. The sunny blue to me looked quite "pure" and I didn't see much grey.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to train my eyes more for sure:oops2:. The sunny blue to me looked quite "pure" and I didn't see much grey.

The colour looks nice in the first photo, it's the photo on the hand where it just doesn't have the same vividness and looks more grey and I guess the best way to describe it is duller. The best sapphires pop in vivid colour, even against skin.

mpc

Rough_Rock
@mpc I've been stalking DK's IG account for...:twisted2::lol-2:
Lol! Me too! He told me 30 to 45 days. Tried not to count down literally. Will post as soon as I hear anything!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
The colour looks nice in the first photo, it's the photo on the hand where it just doesn't have the same vividness and looks more grey and I guess the best way to describe it is duller. The best sapphires pop in vivid colour, even against skin.

So basically I need to judge the sapphire at its "worst", correct?

mpc

Rough_Rock
Agree! My office lighting ended up being my litmus test.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Well, I mean, it depends. Sapphires are so shifty that I tend to be okay with one that hits my ideal color in some kind of light, even if it darkens a lot in low light or doesn't look great in my crappy work fluorescents. (My work fluorescents are so crappy that almost no gemstone of any color or variety looks good in it, including synthetics.) I also like very crisp sparkle, which also means that I don't go for the silk that produces the "glow" that leads to good performance in low light.

In conclusion, sapphires are hard and one has to see a lot of them -- I was disappointed by the first N sapphires I saw in person until I understood that they were shifty creatures and that some of my desires were not compatible with some of my other desires.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Well, I mean, it depends. Sapphires are so shifty that I tend to be okay with one that hits my ideal color in some kind of light, even if it darkens a lot in low light or doesn't look great in my crappy work fluorescents. (My work fluorescents are so crappy that almost no gemstone of any color or variety looks good in it, including synthetics.) I also like very crisp sparkle, which also means that I don't go for the silk that produces the "glow" that leads to good performance in low light.

In conclusion, sapphires are hard and one has to see a lot of them -- I was disappointed by the first N sapphires I saw in person until I understood that they were shifty creatures and that some of my desires were not compatible with some of my other desires.

Nice to hear a different POV.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results