shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire question

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
At a T&Co, I once saw an almost 9 ct EC tanzanite ring (30K) and it looked more attractive than their 6ct round dark sapphire ring (80K).

However, both look pretty black under their specially designed shop light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ordinaryrainbow Elle's ring does look more violet but her pear looks blue to me.
I think Elle’s ring is beautiful. Now that’s a dark stone that photographs well, and Kate is often photographed like that in bright lights with tons of press and photographers surrounding her. I’ve never seen it look like that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At a T&Co, I once saw an almost 9 ct EC tanzanite ring (30K) and it looked more attractive than their 6ct round dark sapphire ring (80K).

However, both look pretty black under their specially designed shop light.
Tiffany&Co sells some duds. Their buyers must love dark gems.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
At this point in time that's my pile of "keepers" until I find something I like more then I sell something and replace it. The Burma pear is actually lighter in colour IRL than the emerald cut, but yes the EC is a nice stone. My favourite of those ones colourwise is the smaller round, it's from Madagascar, the deposit site that everyone raves was like "Kashmir" stones.

Lucky you! I can see why you are keeping these and sold the others on LT. I like a chunky pear too!

I am getting very attracted to emerald cut blue sapphires, but I am not very particular with EC emerald, weird. :lol-2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Dodi ring was an unattractive design IMO. Camilla’s ring belonged to the Queen Mother. I think it was her e-ring. The early 1900’s had the most magnificent pieces.

I think it was both, the design was just meeeh, the size was underwhelming and probably the most important thing, the cut I think was shallow or something because it was a very ordinary emerald cut visually. Some ECs just sing, for the amount he would have paid for it and from a decent jeweller, I personally would have expected something far better.....

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it was both, the design was just meeeh, the size was underwhelming and probably most important thing the cut I think was shallow or something because it was a very ordinary emerald cut visually. Some ECs just sing, for the amount he would have paid for it and from a decent jeweller, I personally would have expected something far better.....

See!? That’s what drives me crazy. It’s assumed that just because something comes from a prestigious store, and they’re rich/famous, they are going to get something beautiful, but often that’s not the case. I feel this was the case with Diana’s ring when she picked it out as well. Too bad she didn’t have Richard Burton to guide her, ha!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See!? That’s what drives me crazy. It’s assumed that just because something comes from a prestigious store, and they’re rich/famous, they are going to get something beautiful, but often that’s not the case. I feel this was the case with Diana’s ring when she picked it out as well. Too bad she didn’t have Richard Burton to guide her, ha!!

I read somewhere Dodi picked it out on a whim, I always suspected it was a friendship token or just a gift not an engagement ring because I would have assumed he would have picked out something more spectacular. Maybe he was just a cheapskate and didn't want to buy something larger and much more expensive, because it was a gift not an engagement ring like his father claimed...

Still not convinced with the sapphire she had a whole tray of decent stones to select from, it might have been the biggest and it probably looks dark a lot of the time but I still personally see "something" when you get it in good lighting (probably what she saw) in it. Some stones just look blaah in photos no matter how hard you try.

A few years ago, I actually bought an Antique sapphire that was really dark, way darker than my oval, almost always black facing and it flashed the most spectacular blue, I sent it back because 85% to 90% of the time it was just dark dark but the other 15% to 10% it was like holy bleep in colour, vivid liquid blue velvet and it wasn't cheap. I think at the time it was thought it was a non certified Kashmir. I've always regretted sending it back....

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought Dodi had that ring commissioned for her. I’m having hideous 1990’s jewelry fashion flashbacks now:eek2::confused2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought Dodi had that ring commissioned for her. I’m having hideous 1990’s jewelry fashion flashbacks now:eek2::confused2:

I thought it was a ring purchased on a whim on a day of shipping commissioned in a hurry when they were on a yacht in Monaco (I've been to Monaco there are some really expensive jewellery stores there). Newpaper article;

"Mr Fayed says that the couple had met the jeweller Alberto Repossi at his Monte Carlo store to choose the ring during their holiday on the Fayed yacht in the Mediterranean. He claims that the ring was then sized in Italy and sent to Paris.."

I clearly remember thinking in this order, wow, it's a really small diamond, it's a very ordinary cut, and it's in a very ugly setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: T L

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@arkieb1, call me crazy, but I would make a hi lo, mismatched, open ring with your chunky pair pointing inward + EC like this.

Untitled15.jpg

This sapphire is too dark for my liking but yours would be amazing! :P2

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm more of a halo girl, plus if you set white diamonds next to a sapphire the colour of the oval (in a halo) it actually makes the colour pop more and visually tricks the eye into thinking it's a slightly lighter colour. In other words if you put contrasting diamonds, IMHO it's more likely to show it off to it's best colour.

Reactions: T L

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I'm more of a halo girl, plus if you set white diamonds next to a sapphire the colour of the oval (in a halo) it actually makes the colour pop more and visually tricks the eye into thinking it's a slightly lighter colour. In other words if you put contrasting diamonds, IMHO it's more likely to show it off to it's best colour.

I've been told the same thing also. I don't like halo/melee but do like how the blue line up look from you post so nice blue all the way for me. Whatever rock our boats, right?

And I better find a decent blue sapphire since I don't plan to set it next to white diamonds. :lol:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if I like a tanzanite look alike sapphire...too much violet?

GEM2000GEMS

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I like a tanzanite look alike sapphire...too much violet?

GEM2000GEMS
I personally love a little violet in a sapphire (personal preference), but those are too violet. The primary color is violet. I like very slightly voletish blues.

I love violet though on its own, but a fine blue sapphire shouldn’t be violet as a primary color, or a color shift.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
81B35831-4D0E-4B17-84F8-2B0E6C9F929E.jpeg Tanzanite at the Tiffany’s window display
The original tanzanite, old mine block D, were primarily blue with a touch of violet. That just looks like a regular tanzanite.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be a nice pendant stone. Tanzanite terrifies me in rings unless you get the cheap pale stuff.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@pwsg07, nice spy picture! The one I saw looked even more violet and darker.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
This one would be decent if only with less 1/2 and 1/2 effect and bit more silk. The still photos show less of that effect so I don't know if the camera had something to do with it.

LITNON

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if those are tanzanites

an engagement in The Hague.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one would be decent if only with less 1/2 and 1/2 effect and bit more silk. The still photos show less of that effect so I don't know if the camera had something to do with it.

LITNON
I really like that one too

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s too dark and gray. Sorry :(

LITNON

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Dug this up from 2011. I :love: that blue! Didn't enhance the color, just cropped the screen shot.

IMG_2407.jpg

PBS video

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dug this up from 2011. I :love: that blue! Didn't enhance the color, just cropped the screen shot.

IMG_2407.jpg

PBS video
I remember that antiques roadshow! Lovely sapphire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results