shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire on tight budget, help!

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Niel|1466182003|4045177 said:

Hmm, a little bit light, but the size and price aren't bad...

By way of update, I have the ok from bf to send out all 4 options listed earlier (1 from nsc, 3 from Roger Dery), communication is slow as he works long hours and lives 2 hours away. Hoping to have them here early next week! I will post pictures and first impressions then!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder.. At that price, if the color is of interest, would it be worth asking Dana if a recut would be an option and still be within the budget?

Steahl

Rough_Rock
chroman|1466369251|4045738 said:
I wonder.. At that price, if the color is of interest, would it be worth asking Dana if a recut would be an option and still be within the budget?

Hmm, not a bad idea! That silk is a concern but it's worth asking about. Thanks for the follow up with this option!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Steahl|1466430370|4045906 said:
That silk is a concern but it's worth asking about.

I agree - it looks like you've found some much better options in your budget at this point, so it might not be an issue. Fingers crossed for your shipment from Roger to be fruitful!

Steahl

Rough_Rock
First glance:

_4297.jpeg

_4298.jpeg

Steahl

Rough_Rock
I DO lotion my hands from time to time, in case you're wondering.

So right off the top...choosing a winner won't be easy. Each has pros and cons so it might come to a blind draw lol. I thought I had a favorite, but I could literally point at one with my eyes closed and it would be a beautiful choice.

From the top down:

1. Pros: unheated
very sparkly
Cons: the most expensive choice, will put him about $400cad over budget.
a hair too bright for what I think she would choose

2. Pros: also very sparkly
goldilocks in terms of colour; not too dark, not too bright. Just right :)
The least expensive option
Cons: noticeable size difference. On a size 7 finger, I think we want as much coverage as possible

3. Pros: dark
Cons: dark

I do like the colour of this sapphire. It's a nice saturated, velvety blue, and probably the one my sister would choose if it were up to her. But it does suffer a bit in terms of sparkliness in lower lighting. Not much, but some.

This will be hard!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steahl|1466555170|4046460 said:
First glance:

My personal preference is for stone 1. I know it's the lightest of the stones, but all stones darken a bit when set. And it seems the most lively and sparkly, which is important in the long run. Number 2 is nice as well, but does look smaller than 1, and a little darker than I'd prefer (but obviously the stone isn't for me) My least favorite is 3, because it's so dark it almost looks black.

I'd strongly suggest going with 1 or 2--as I said 1 is my personal preference because I think it will darken a bit but not too much, but I think it's up to you guys to figure out what she'd like the most.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 for sure for all the reasons Lovedog posted

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
+1 to what lovedogs said.

Is #1 the unlisted Roger mystery stone?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is tough because its about what she wants - or how you are interpreting her preferences. You've seen the stones in various lighting situations, yes? The downside to a dark stone is that it does black out. Depending upon the stone, this may mean in certain low lighting situations that it throws off an occasional spark of color, or it just appears dark/opaque. I would take the dark stone in question and see what it looks like outside in early evening, inside in low incandescent and fluorescent lighting like bedroom and bathroom lighting. Notice how it appears in these circumstances. There is a big difference between occasionally sparking color, and just being perceived as a straight, dark stone. For that matter, many sapphires close up in direct sunlight as well. You might want to see if this holds true for any of these stones.

I would also take each stone and wrap it in some tinfoil, like its the setting for the stone. You will get a better idea of the color it will appear when set.

Fwiw, I agree with the others and like 1 the best, but that's because its the color I like, as I really don't like it when sapphires close up.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for #1 because personal experience tells me that it will darken once set. The other 2 will become overly dark once set.

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Hmm. I know there's lots of love for lighter sapphires on this forum, and I understand why...I wonder if it's a bit of a cultural thing though, at least to a point?
I ended up showing these to some coworkers and friends, and every single person picked the dark sapphire within seconds. The lighter one is obviously very beautiful too, but I think the darker one has that "classic" blue sapphire flavour. The boyfriend picked it out as his favorite too, and that's the one he decided to go with! It's being sent to AGL as soon as it gets back to Roger, and we'll be working on the setting until the sapphire is back from the lab. I truly think the 1.17ct is the best choice FOR HER, as that's the one she would pick. It's got that rich, royal blue colour, and it glows and twinkles in most lighting. At it's worst, in low light, it still throws back plenty of sparkle and colour, and while it does darken a little, it never full out goes black. I had it in a temp setting and tried wrapping it in a silver chain to see if it would darken, and it did not have a negative effect.

I think the 1.09 is an absolutely gorgeous stone, and I know it will get snatched up as soon as it becomes available again. Roger has told me he's gotten a few inquiries since this post. So whoever buys it, you're getting a beautiful sapphire with which you'll be extremely happy. BUT, again, for my sister's tastes, the 1.17ct hits the spot. Thank you everyone for your input! I'm super happy with what we've been able to do on his budget. I know she'll be knocked off her feet!

Just for another perspective, here's a pic of the sapphires in cloudy, overcast weather at 9pm.

_4425.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steahl|1466963411|4048558 said:
Hmm. I know there's lots of love for lighter sapphires on this forum, and I understand why...I wonder if it's a bit of a cultural thing though, at least to a point?
I ended up showing these to some coworkers and friends, and every single person picked the dark sapphire within seconds. The lighter one is obviously very beautiful too, but I think the darker one has that "classic" blue sapphire flavour. The boyfriend picked it out as his favorite too, and that's the one he decided to go with! It's being sent to AGL as soon as it gets back to Roger, and we'll be working on the setting until the sapphire is back from the lab. I truly think the 1.17ct is the best choice FOR HER, as that's the one she would pick. It's got that rich, royal blue colour, and it glows and twinkles in most lighting. At it's worst, in low light, it still throws back plenty of sparkle and colour, and while it does darken a little, it never full out goes black. I had it in a temp setting and tried wrapping it in a silver chain to see if it would darken, and it did not have a negative effect.

I think the 1.09 is an absolutely gorgeous stone, and I know it will get snatched up as soon as it becomes available again. Roger has told me he's gotten a few inquiries since this post. So whoever buys it, you're getting a beautiful sapphire with which you'll be extremely happy. BUT, again, for my sister's tastes, the 1.17ct hits the spot. Thank you everyone for your input! I'm super happy with what we've been able to do on his budget. I know she'll be knocked off her feet!

Just for another perspective, here's a pic of the sapphires in cloudy, overcast weather at 9pm.

I don't think it's love for lighter sapphire's so much as a group who's aware of what happens to a sapphire in different lightings and when set in a halo.

Glad you found one you're comfortable with and in sure it'll be lovely.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, when you find the right stone, you know it. Congratulations on finding one you love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results