shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire on tight budget, help!

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Arcadian|1465840906|4043594 said:
The stones from Roger look great! :appl: I have a preference on the first over the 2nd. I tend to like more med. blue than dark.

I like the 1.09ct better as well, the shape is a bit more cushiony. I received an email from Roger saying it performed well and would make a great choice. Unfortunately it is more than I thought at $1020. Miiight be able to make it work but hoping not to have to stretch it that far.

The .96ct is on hold with another vendor and I won't know for about another week if it becomes available again.

There is another contender on his site that I won't post until I can put it on hold. It's a bit larger than the others, darker too, but Roger says it's brighter in daylight than it appears on the website. The shape is a perfect mix of cushiony oval and might be my favorite so far!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bummer about the 1.09 from Roger; that one looked pretty nice (to my untrained eye)!

It sounds like you might be open to stretching the budget a bit, if *the* stone comes along?

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Well, DK's quote for the halo included melee 3/4 around the shank. I've emailed him to ask if we can take the price down a smidge by just doing 1/2. That might leave a bit more budget for the stone. So in short, yes haha. BUT it also isn't my $$ to spend at the end of the day, so I will have to talk that through with the sister's bf!

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Got an email back from Brad about the gemtrader stone:
" To describe it a bit better, it is a pretty saturated hue (I don't consider it dark, but people have widely varying views about this!) so I've attached a few additional photos. The first is just diffuse natural daylight and the second shows incandescent at an unflattering angle - this shows the stone just about as dark as I can get it. It is fairly consistent and doesn't frantically go darker when indoors."

Seems like that rich velvety blue my sister would like, but I'm worried it would go full on black in the evening. Guess there's no way to know unless I order and see it in person!

_4158.jpeg

_4159.jpeg

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1465837687|4043582 said:
Steahl|1465836382|4043576 said:
I've ended up with a handful of good leads this morning!

There's this: a bit out of budget but likely doable. http://www.thegemtrader.com/Aug15BSapphirePage.htm

Also found Roger Dery of spectralgem in the recommended vendors sticky, his cutting looks beautiful and he has a nice selection of blue ovals that I think will work! I hesitantly emailed him, expecting him to be way out of budget, but I just got an email back, and even though he is a bit higher than $600, I think we can make it work!
These 2 are my favorite so far, I'll have to email and ask about performance indoors, etc, but to my untrained eye these look perfect. What do you guys think?
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval1_09ct_1539/ About $845

http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval_96ct_1540/ About $744

(ETA all of these come with AGL report stating heat only treatment)

ooh, I love these options! I always hesitate to recommend Roger to people on a budget since he doesn't list prices, and some of his stones are pricey (although worth it IMHO because he is incredible). But I'm so glad you wrote him! I love both of these options, and think they would look great.

I honestly like all of the options. I would write both vendors and ask about how they perform indoors, under low light, etc, since the concern would be maybe going "dark" inside or looking black. They all look lively and not over-dark, but I think it's worth asking. Both Brad and Roger are great vendors so will give you honest answers. I think this will end up being beautiful!

Roger is a great artist. Love his stones.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steahl|1465849952|4043636 said:
Got an email back from Brad about the gemtrader stone:
" To describe it a bit better, it is a pretty saturated hue (I don't consider it dark, but people have widely varying views about this!) so I've attached a few additional photos. The first is just diffuse natural daylight and the second shows incandescent at an unflattering angle - this shows the stone just about as dark as I can get it. It is fairly consistent and doesn't frantically go darker when indoors."

Seems like that rich velvety blue my sister would like, but I'm worried it would go full on black in the evening. Guess there's no way to know unless I order and see it in person!

I agree, rich blues can be dark in evening. FWIW, for my personal tastes its too dark, but I also have a blue spinel that leans darker blue that I LUV (hmmm yeah maybe I can't be trusted.... :lol: ;)) )

Both vendors are great, but IMO its really about how the stone will perform in your environment.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
that's really pretty!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you where talking cutting down how far down the diamonds go down the shank to save money, but you don't want a plain shank. Something like this be something shed consider or is this too much of an antique style?

3e2b0a0208ebddc25a90811905d9553c.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or, another idea (just trying to think of things that'll save money. )

Maybe contact idj, tell them the dimensions of that cushion and then see how much it would cost to have this setting. (if she'd be ok with an elongated cushion)

http://idjewelry.com/14k-white-gold-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-er10694w44jj.html

Dk is great but if you could get that setting for around a grand that saves a lot of money and might open options up

picsart_06-14-12.jpg

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Niel|1465921493|4043867 said:
I know you where talking cutting down how far down the diamonds go down the shank to save money, but you don't want a plain shank. Something like this be something shed consider or is this too much of an antique style?

Yeah, it would be too antique for her :( I have a sapphire target halo that she admires ALL the time, so for a while I thought there might be hope in trying to sway her towards an antique halo, but she doesn't want it as an e-ring. RHR, no problem, just not as her e-ring. Great find tho, is that on sale somewhere?

Good find on the cushion sapphire as well, that color is lovely! It might be a bit too "cornered" but I'm keeping it as an option depending on what happens with Roger's sapphires. I honestly got a little confused on the multicolor site so I didn't spend too much time there, but obviously it's worth a closer look!

So right now, here's the situation; I have 2 sapphires on hold with Roger (who, btw, told me there's been a few inquiries made on the 2 sapphires I linked to since posting yesterday. Shoo, lurkers, shoo!!) The 1.09ct, and this one http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval1_17ct_1543/ are sitting safely on his desk. I'll have them shipped out as soon as I get the ok from sister's bf, and we"ll go from there.

The one I linked to above is a touch dark, but Roger says it's brighter irl. That pic was taken in fluorescent lighting, which I thought I read is super unflattering for sapphires? I also asked him if there was a chance he would have any new stock in the near future that would be close to budget and worth waiting for.

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Niel|1465922834|4043883 said:
Or, another idea (just trying to think of things that'll save money. )

Maybe contact idj, tell them the dimensions of that cushion and then see how much it would cost to have this setting. (if she'd be ok with an elongated cushion)

http://idjewelry.com/14k-white-gold-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-er10694w44jj.html

Dk is great but if you could get that setting for around a grand that saves a lot of money and might open options up

I'm not sure she'd like that style, she's set on pave. I know this because I've run it past her lol. I feel like I'm shutting down a lot of helpful ideas, I'm sorry!! It's just that I've run every option I could think of past her, and we've always come back to oval sapphire in pave halo with diamonds on the shank :-/

I know it's generally not advised to put most of the budget into the setting, but I feel like for the quality she'll get with DK, and the fact that we've found great 2 options that'll work somewhat within budget (the more expensive sapphire will stretch his budget only about $225cad), I think it's a fair compromise. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong? What would you do in my situation, spend $1500 on sapphire and compromise on halo setting? Is the difference in quality between a $1000 and a $1500 sapphire great enough to warrant a stock setting and compromise a bit on quality? (I'm honestly asking, I've seen such discrepancy in prices for sapphires that seem like equal quality and I'm getting a bit discombobulated!)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, my opinion is not her opinion so does it really matter?

But to me settings are easy to replace, the right sapphire isn't. Get the right sapphire and your halo can always be updated on an anniversary. Not quite as easy with a stone becuase one,youd have to find one that for your setting,or two you'd need a whole new ring so why did you spend so much on the setting to begin with.

And if she's on a tight budget, being particularly on color,size and shape makes things tricky . Colored stones aren't diamonds, not as easy to find a million stones in the shape and budget you want.

Again though that's just why I'm throwing out other ideas. That's my opinion. If hers is different then that's what matters. I just think this my require you to settle in for a bit of a long haul of color is really important

To be fair the setting I showed you is pave. You're just saying she likes a different style?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Niel, my bad, I thought that was called "prong set". The style below is what she wants, that's actually a pic she texted me.

_4182.jpeg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If its starting to get discombobulating, would it help to take a breather from looking until Rogers stones arrive? If they come, and one screams out to you, then its all good! And in the mean time, get the BF to take you out for a drink to unwind :)

It does sound like you have a very particular setting in mind, making it hard to compromise on that front. But if you can't find a stone in the current budget that speaks to you, would it help to look at something a little pricier to see if the stone of her dreams appears? But that might best be left for a few days down the road.

Steahl

Rough_Rock
chroman|1465930648|4043945 said:
If its starting to get discombobulating, would it help to take a breather from looking until Rogers stones arrive? If they come, and one screams out to you, then its all good! And in the mean time, get the BF to take you out for a drink to unwind :)

It does sound like you have a very particular setting in mind, making it hard to compromise on that front. But if you can't find a stone in the current budget that speaks to you, would it help to look at something a little pricier to see if the stone of her dreams appears? But that might best be left for a few days down the road.

Chroman, that sounds great lol

Honestly, the discombobulation is mainly coming from not understanding the sapphire market all that well. I'm way more comfortable shopping for a diamond I think. I know what my preferences are of the options that I've posted, but I keep looking in hopes I'll find something amazing maybe a little closer to budget. But you're right. I do have time, it's not like we need to decide and purchase tomorrow. I'm actually kind of surprised I found Roger as quick as I did, we set aside about a month to find the center stone so I am prepared to dig around more :) on the other hand, I guess with such a low budget, there aren't a pile of options anyway, so it might be a matter of finding the handful that tick all the boxes and deciding on a favorite.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steahl|1465930806|4043948 said:
Would love thoughts on this: I have it on hold for a day, I think the cut is lovely, but obviously it's on the dark side so I'll have to see it irl.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-60896-oval-blue-sapphire-b6934/

Spoke to someone via live chat, she said dry heat only, no chemicals. Is that trustworthy? I've heard mixed reviews of TNSC.

Have you read the "New to coloured gemstone buying? Read this first!" sticky thread? Specifically page 2, almost half-way down, JewelFreak's post on Corundum (sapphire and ruby) treatment? https://www.pricescope.com/forum/co...mstone-buying-read-this-first-t174284-30.html

Let's say you were buying a diamond.. would you believe a nameless sales rep who assured you the diamond you like is a G-VS2? Oh, but no GIA or AGSL grading report, just self-graded? Wouldn't that raise a red flag for you as a consumer?

If there isn't a GIA or AGL colored gemstone report stating the absence/level of treatment, not only do you not know what you're getting, you also don't know if the price you're paying is fair.

All that said, if you find a sapphire you like, without a lab report, you can always ask the vendor if they'll extend the return period (if need be) so you can send it in to AGL for a Gem Brief. Often the vendor will agree to the extension and will agree to not only refund the gem cost but also the cost of the Gem Brief, should the AGL report come back reflecting more treatment than the vendor disclosed. Of course, sending a stone to AGL can take a few weeks, so this approach may/may not work depending on each person's timeline for the finished project.

Steahl

Rough_Rock
marymm|1465936234|4043981 said:
Steahl|1465930806|4043948 said:
Would love thoughts on this: I have it on hold for a day, I think the cut is lovely, but obviously it's on the dark side so I'll have to see it irl.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-60896-oval-blue-sapphire-b6934/

Spoke to someone via live chat, she said dry heat only, no chemicals. Is that trustworthy? I've heard mixed reviews of TNSC.

Have you read the "New to coloured gemstone buying? Read this first!" sticky thread? Specifically page 2, almost half-way down, JewelFreak's post on Corundum (sapphire and ruby) treatment? https://www.pricescope.com/forum/co...mstone-buying-read-this-first-t174284-30.html

Let's say you were buying a diamond.. would you believe a nameless sales rep who assured you the diamond you like is a G-VS2? Oh, but no GIA or AGSL grading report, just self-graded? Wouldn't that raise a red flag for you as a consumer?

If there isn't a GIA or AGL colored gemstone report stating the absence/level of treatment, not only do you not know what you're getting, you also don't know if the price you're paying is fair.

All that said, if you find a sapphire you like, without a lab report, you can always ask the vendor if they'll extend the return period (if need be) so you can send it in to AGL for a Gem Brief. Often the vendor will agree to the extension and will agree to not only refund the gem cost but also the cost of the Gem Brief, should the AGL report come back reflecting more treatment than the vendor disclosed. Of course, sending a stone to AGL can take a few weeks, so this approach may/may not work depending on each person's timeline for the finished project.

$60 non-refundable to send it in for an AGL report, 2-3 week turnaround time. The sales rep assures me they've never had a lab report come back disclosing further treatment...but who knows. If the bf and I see it and it blows our socks clean off, might be worth the gamble :|

Steahl

Rough_Rock
Correction. $60 non refundable to send to GIA, not AGL.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it just me, or does that NSC stone look rather purple and gray? If you are aiming for a saturated blue, that might be a bit off your target color.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chroman|1465939357|4044017 said:
Is it just me, or does that NSC stone look rather purple and gray? If you are aiming for a saturated blue, that might be a bit off your target color.

I also see purple and grey in the stone, and overall think NSC is very overpriced for the quality they offer. I much prefer the options from Brad and Roger, but of course that's just IMHO so definitely feel free to ignore me :D

Steahl

Rough_Rock
I got a few more pictures from the NSC sales rep. I couldn't really detect the purple before but I can definitely see it now. Is purple bad then? Bit clued out in regards to modifiers. She also sent a video that shows it performing nicely. To me anyway. I don't think I could upload that tho. Also a bit clued out in regards to technology in general. Thanks for sticking with this thread, folks. Appreciate the input!

_4193.jpeg

_4192.jpeg

Steahl

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1465941855|4044041 said:

I also see purple and grey in the stone, and overall think NSC is very overpriced for the quality they offer. I much prefer the options from Brad and Roger, but of course that's just IMHO so definitely feel free to ignore me :D

I 100% hear that. I'm having Roger send me 3 stones to choose from, but this one caught my eye - I know she would love the cushiony oval shape, it seems like the right colour, and has a nice amount of light return imo. Figured it was worth checking into at least! The price is right too, she offered me 15% off the listed prices so it comes in at $708. It's free shipping to and from, so I thought why not at least see it person!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steahl|1465962795|4044180 said:
lovedogs|1465941855|4044041 said:

I 100% hear that. I'm having Roger send me 3 stones to choose from, but this one caught my eye - I know she would love the cushiony oval shape, it seems like the right colour, and has a nice amount of light return imo. Figured it was worth checking into at least! The price is right too, she offered me 15% off the listed prices so it comes in at $708. It's free shipping to and from, so I thought why not at least see it person!

Totally agree--no harm in checking it out since free shipping (especially the "to" if you decide to return--returning stones can get pricey if you want to look at multiple options!) That definitely makes me think you should see it in person--it's essentially a no-lose situation, particularly since you can compare to the 3 Roger is sending. Glad you'll get to see so many in person before making a choice! It definitely makes a huge difference to see stones with your own eyes, in different lights, etc.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Helicopter: you are new so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. If you are a trade member, then you need to register as one. Trade members are not allowed to comment on stones/rough/jewelry for sale by other trade members and are never allowed to show their own stones/rough/jewelry in an attempt to promote sales. It would be a good idea if you read the policies and rules of this site that you should have read when you signed up. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results