shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some feedback on a Blue Sapphire that I am considering as the center stone for my gfriends e-ring. My original post, https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/split-shank-pave-diamond-setting.61333/, discussed how I was trying to re-create a ring that we saw at a local jeweler. The ring was very overpriced and I decided it would be best to see if I could replicate it the best I could. I have been doing a lot of research on blue sapphires and I think I''m ready to make a decision. But everyone was so helpful before, I knew I had to get the approval of our ''scopers.

The ring consists of a cushion blue sapphire (around 2 carats) center stone in a halo setting with round pave diamonds surrounding the stone and halfway down the split shank prongs, in a bead set. My profile pic is the "photo-copy" of the ring, it was the best I could get.

The sapphire I am considering was just recently cut by a ''net jeweler and weighs 1.91 carats, 8.28mm x6.73mm x 4.41mm deep. It is more of a rectangular cushion than square and I think the color is quite rich. I will attach a few pics for your viewing pleasure.

So what do you think? I greatly value your opinions, experiences and advice.

Thanks!

Chris

125_Cushion_sapphire1.jpg

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Very Low Light

125_Cushion_Very_Low_Light1.jpg

vanman73

Rough_Rock
another shot

125_Cushion_sapphire4.jpg

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Low Light

125_Cushion_Low_Light1.jpg

vanman73

Rough_Rock
and lastly, the side in the sunlight

125_Cushion_sunlight_side_view.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a nice face-up look, but I might be concerned that it looks a little dark. Hopefully some of the experts will post soon!

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Not an expert, but a budding afficionado: I love the first photo.

Do you have one of those temporary stone-holding rings which you could put it in, then try it on?? I have one in gold metal, one in white metal. Yeh, I got them a JTV, but they were worth the few bucks (I wanna say maybe $12 for the pair...don''t remember). I often put stones in them, then stick the ring on my finger, then put my hand a distance from my comp light. You squeeze the shank and the 4 prongs open to hold the stone under tension. Sorry but I don''t know what the official name for these things are.

I had read (not sure where) that one should hold the ring (on finger) at almost arm''s length, in subdued light to see how much color and sparkle it has. The idea being that most of the time (most) jewelry is evening wear. Obviously an ering is a slightly diferent story. However, it''s amazing how much light you can see in some stones this way (well-cut Spessartite and Sapphires just blaze like stars)...how some hold their color, and others just disappear into the night like a black hole.
21.gif

Just 2 cents worth...
2.gif

Ger

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A little dark for my taste, but color is mostly preference. Do you like dark sapphires?

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Well, the ring we saw at the store was under store lighting and looked darker than lighter. The photocopy doesn''t help as much as seeing it in person. Guess I could purchase the stone and then compare with ring at store (if it''s still there).

It''s also difficult because this is going on her finger and not mine. I like a more royal blue, whereas the stone in the ring at the store was definitely darker than a royal blue and she fell in love with that.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks a bit dark, but could be a ok depending on how much they're charging...

ETA: Translate "too dark" as "not as sparkly" too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is too dark for my taste - you should be able to see the blue and with strong blue flashes. His first picture looks pretty but it looks pretty dull and dark in the rest. I would pass on it. It might be interesting enough to keep as a fun right hand ring but I would not get it for an e-ring that she will wear for the rest of her life.

What is your budget? What shape do you like? Maybe we can scope something out for you.

vanman73

Rough_Rock
I am trying to stay below $1500 and looking for a cushion cut. I would also like to stay around 2 carats or just under.

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
i''m no expert but i agree that the sapphire appears on the dark side. Especially when see from the side

Also the setting you are looking at, depending on whether you bezel set or prong set the stone (raised or flush), w/ or w/o a basket, size of airline w/ prongs, will affect the apparent brightness of the sapphire. When I was having our ring made, the jewelers and gemstone seller I asked told me that a bezel set in a halo would darken the sapphire by around 5% due to the light that was blocked.

Also most if not all photos on the net of sapphires will show the sapphire looking brighter than most conditions in real life. When I had some sapphires mailed to evaluate, I found them to resemble the online images only under the most ideal conditions - generally lots of indirect lighting. Outdoors this means under the shade or under overcast skies. The reflected blue light of shade and cloud cover also really helps the color of a blue sapphire pop =)
Even now that the gemstone is set, it looks most amazing in indirect or overcast lighting.

Unlike round cut sapphires I think (though I might be wrong), that cushion cuts are cut a bit more for color. Emerald cuts are cut completely for color and so are not meant to sparkle as much.

Nice cushions can be hard to come by and I know square cushions really seems to limit the selection out there. Square cushions are also quite popular and seem to go pretty quickly.

good luck!

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
for a visual - sapphire under bright afternoon overcast lighting

overcast01.jpg

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
sapphire set in ring - under fairly bright, overcast late afternoon
hope this helps!

halo_out2.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Way too dark for my taste.

I have 11 sapphires in my promise ring of which 3 were a beautiful cornflower and the others much darker. I was always turning that ring so the lighter stones were uppermost!

I would get something much lighter and cut for a bit more sparkle.

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
Now THAT''s a sapphire!! Good find for the price!! I would also like to know if there''s lots of zoning, you can sometimes see more zoning along the side, and the top looks great. I agree with everyone else, the first one you posted looks too dark and lifeless.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This newer one from SS looks much better than your first choice. It''s still quite dark (maybe that''s what you prefer) but it has more brilliance and flashes of blue.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of your last post with the 3 choices, I''d eliminate the last one right off the bat. The cut looks off with the culet skewed to one side. Check with SS about the other 2 choices. They appear to have a window in certain pictures but I can''t be 100% sure - it might just be the angle of photography.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry Vanman, but those pictures are HORRIBLE. It''s really hard to tell what they''ll look like. Is there any way you could have them shipped to an appraiser for inspection first? They''re all cut in such a way that I would worry about windows...

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Maybe I need to take a step back here. I have been doing lots of research online and browsing a lot of stones, but what am I missing? I guess I am having a bit of difficulty understanding the color, plus since I am only able to go on the photocopy and my memory of what the stone looked like in the ring at BBB, it is proving very difficult to decide.

Is it possible to get a sapphire, at or around $1500, in the 2 carat range and have it be a "good" sapphire?

Getting confused
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2007 9:52:59 AM
Author: vanman73
Hi everyone,

Maybe I need to take a step back here. I have been doing lots of research online and browsing a lot of stones, but what am I missing? I guess I am having a bit of difficulty understanding the color, plus since I am only able to go on the photocopy and my memory of what the stone looked like in the ring at BBB, it is proving very difficult to decide.

Is it possible to get a sapphire, at or around $1500, in the 2 carat range and have it be a ''good'' sapphire?

Getting confused
33.gif
Vanman,

A top sapphire should be a pleasant medium blue, not dark blue and well cut so that its brilliance shows through. A medium priced blue sapphire still should not be inky or too dark. All the stones I posted earlier in this thread are well cut and is a decent blue colour, close to your 2 carats specs and price. I hope you had a chance to check them out.

It is possible to get everything you want but it will be a heat treated stone. SS sells untreated sapphires and those carry more of a premium in addition to being well cut. It may also take a little more searching but I believe the right one can be found. It won''t be a great sapphire but it''ll be a good sapphire.

pinkdreamer

Rough_Rock
Hi VanMan,
I have been looking for sapphires myself, though I am looking for pink. I think what people are trying to point out is that sapphires that are quite dark are considered "less desireable" because they tend to sparkle less and reflect less light. Of course it''s all a matter of preference, but most people prefer a lighter sapphire. That being said, if your lady would prefer a darker one you might be in luck because they should be cheaper than the lighter "more desireable" ones!

I will look around for you, I have lots of sights bookmarked. Have you looked at the natural sapphire company? I emailed them when I couldn''t find exactly what I was looking for and they offered to find it for me. They were wonderful to communicate with, and have a HUGE array of sapphires to choose from.

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Hi Pink,

Since we are having a sapphire as the center stone, I definitely would like it to sparkle, although the round paves that will surround it should also add to the sparkle.

I keep forgetting that most of the pics we see are in the brightest light.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results