shape
carat
color
clarity

Split Shank Pave Diamond Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting. I just found this website this week as my quest for our Engagement Ring begins. I find this website extremely informative and helpful as one goes through the chapter of buying an E-ring (already have the lingo down!). I want to discuss the scenario I am in and see if anyone has any good advice or thoughts from past experiences.

My girlfriend wants a Blue Sapphire as her center stone. She wants to be unique and different. I have no problem with that, I think sapphires are beautiful. So we have been browsing and window shopping, and her favorite has been an Emerald cut Sapphire with 2 diamond trillions on the side. Two weeks ago, we went into Bailey, Banks & Biddle at our local mall, merely to just do some looking. When we approached the sapphire display, immediately she saw an emerald cut sapphire, with the trillion diamonds! She was so excited and asked to try it on, a perfect fit!! Then something else caught her eye in the display, another sapphire ring. She asked to try it on, another perfect fit!! But this was different, she had a look on her face that was priceless. She turned to me and said, "this is the one". It was almost euphoric, but you could see she meant it, this in fact was the style she wanted. Then I looked at the price tag and it was definitely outside of my budget. Unfortunately, BBB does not have a pic of the ring online (arrggh!) and I have not been able to find a match for it on any site, some similar, but not the same. I was told it was not by a designer, but a BBB special. They would not let me take a pic of it, but were able to photocopy it, which doesnt give it justice. As I did some more research on Sapphires and settings, I''m pretty sure that the ring at BBB is way over-priced and basically you are buying the name.

So here are the specs. I do have a connection with a jeweler (goldsmith) in Florida, but I''m not sure what would be the best solution for this. I do not want to buy that ring at BBB, but I definitely want to have it re-created as close as possible.

2 Carat cushion cut Sapphire (it is a Natural Sapphire, but was treated with heat)
Split Shank setting with .5 carat of Pave Diamonds (round, gh color, si1 clarity) on each shank and surrounding Sapphire.

From all the research I have done online, it looks like a possible "halo" setting. Have also seen similar settings with Daniel K, Mark Patterson, Doron Isaak.

Does anyone else know of the split shank pave setting from BBB?

This has become my project. Every night I am online looking at different settings, sapphires, and rings, trying to find a copy of the one we saw at BBB. When she looked at me with that ring on, I knew it was the one. But since it is quite an investment, I want to make sure that I am getting everything that I am paying for, not just a fancy store where I bought it.

I am open to advise, suggestion, links, etc. Please let me know if you have any questions and thanks in advance for your help!

vanman

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
A little while ago, designer Leon Mege (artofplatinum.com) created a ring for pricescope member Pokey, based off the Daniel K Union design, which was a pave split shank. His fiancee also wanted something different, a green stone. They ended up using a tsavorite (a green garnet)- it came out beautifully.

Here''s the thread

And a picture:

2111-A1pokey.JPG

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Hi Molly,

Yes! I did see that one on this site and the shanks look very similar to the one at BBB, except they were Pave diamonds, instead of encrusted. Also, of course, the stones was surrounded by Pave''s.

But, I really like the way that ring looks. So funny you sent that, I added it to my favorites last night. Seems I will have to do my best to try and piece together the ring from my mind and photo-copy to get it just right.

Thanks for passing that on.

V

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vanman,

If you''re looking for a top notch sapphire, the Natural Sapphire Company out of New York has some gorgeous stones. Their jeweler will also make custom settings and does great work. I have heard rumors that the custom jeweler there used to work for someone big...I can''t remember if it was Cartier or Harry Winston...

HERE is their website.

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have been to the NSC website and they have lovely sapphires. What about purchasing from someone online? I see people like "Michael E" and others and have seen some beautiful work by them.

What''s good is that I have a jeweler (best friend''s uncle) and he made his e-ring and other people I know, so I know he is reputable. I''m trying to find out if he might be able to locate a sapphire for me as well, but I am so into this ring project, that I am also trying to locate what I need.

The setting bothers me, cuz I havent been able to find it. I want to get what she wants and saw, but I also like the idea of having something handmade, one of a kind. She said she wants it to be unique, how much more unique can you get than having it handmade.

Does anyone have an idea on how much Pokey''s setting was?

brgirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 11:11:55 AM
Author: vanman73
Yes, I have been to the NSC website and they have lovely sapphires. What about purchasing from someone online? I see people like ''Michael E'' and others and have seen some beautiful work by them.

What''s good is that I have a jeweler (best friend''s uncle) and he made his e-ring and other people I know, so I know he is reputable. I''m trying to find out if he might be able to locate a sapphire for me as well, but I am so into this ring project, that I am also trying to locate what I need.

The setting bothers me, cuz I havent been able to find it. I want to get what she wants and saw, but I also like the idea of having something handmade, one of a kind. She said she wants it to be unique, how much more unique can you get than having it handmade.

I was actually linking to one of their mountings that sounded like what you described. You should just purchase the mounting and find the sapphire elsewhere!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have been to the NSC website and they have lovely sapphires. What about purchasing from someone online? I see people like ''Michael E'' and others and have seen some beautiful work by them.

I don''t know off the top of my head, but Leon''s intricate pave work generally runs $3-6,000 for the setting I believe. But I have also heard quotes above and below that...

vanman73

Rough_Rock
BR,

Wow! that is the closest I have seen to what the setting looks like. Not sure how I overlooked that! The only thing that looks different is that, if you look at the side angle of ring, there are pave diamonds on the arch where the top of your finger would be. But like I said, it''s pretty darn close.

Thanks!

brgirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 2:21:58 PM
BR,

Wow! that is the closest I have seen to what the setting looks like. Not sure how I overlooked that! The only thing that looks different is that, if you look at the side angle of ring, there are pave diamonds on the arch where the top of your finger would be. But like I said, it''s pretty darn close.

Thanks!
No problem...you can request some photo-shop help from the admin (or anyone on the board!) and they can add the pave diamonds to the part that touches the finger to get it even closer!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock

Hi there Vanman! I went to Michael E and he sourced sapphires for me. They are stunning. Michael was really good to work with and he took great care to get exactly the stones I wanted - size, cut, colour etc. I have never seen sapphires that good in real life before and he stayed within budget - it was probably a tall order, with hindsight. I can be a bit picky..

Good luck!
Jen

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Thanks Jen! I will take a look at the stones he has and inquire about them.

So a question to all the women, when my g-friend tried on that ring and said this is the one, and seeing that the ring was over my budget, is it ok that I am trying to be creative about this and looking at all similar styles to that ring? or should I be trying to exactly match the ring we saw in the store?

I mean I''m sure it could be done, with enough information on the ring we saw, but for instance I love the shanks on that Leon ring above, but it''s not my ring, it''s hers. So I feel like I should just stick to that one ring and try to replicate it.

Your input is greatly appreciated. This is the "first time" for both of us.

Thanks!

V

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michael e is another guy you should check out about cutting you a sapphire. He is top notch!

I really love the project you are working on, and I can''t wait to see how it progresses. If you have the budget, I would definitely consider a leon for the setting. HIs work is impecable and your ring would be an instant heirloom!

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Solle,

I will definitely look into his work, thanks for the info.

It may sound odd, but I am totally head-first into the ring search. I have been dreaming of doing this for years and now the time has finally come and it couldn''t be for a better person than my g-friend, I absolutely adore her.

And I am also the type who believes in chivalry and cards and surprises, that''s where I can use my creativity. I''ve done poems, a DVD slideshow for xmas and now that we have decided to take the next step, my mind is just overflowing with ideas about how to get the perfect ring for her, something unique and different.

I know that she will be happy with whatever I give her, but I want to see that face again, the one she had when she tried on the ring at BBB, it was priceless.

Keep the ideas, opinions and advice coming. It''s all being soaked in!

I have attached a pic of a setting I liked, I believe it''s a Doron Isaak Halo setting, with a sapphire that I had my sister photoshop in, she''s a genius at that. So I like this look and think it sticks to what she likes, but again, it''s not The One.

I''m Chris, by the way.

Thanks!

halo[2].jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vanman,

You''re doing exactly what you should be. Since you''ve said the ring she loved in the store is out of your budget, you''re right in that you shouldn''t be financing or something to get that one. Unless she is a total brat (which I am sure she isn''t since you want to marry her!) she will LOVE that you paid attention and put so much thought and effort into the selection even if "the one" was out of budget.

What you are doing for her is very very sweet and she will appreciate all the hard work you put into it for her. A good conversation to have if possible, is to find out WHY/WHAT she liked about the ring at BBB. Was it the halo? The cushion? The split shank? All of it together?

If you can find out some more information about the "WHY" it will help you as you attempt to design something for her. I don''t think you should copy it exactly because then it might always be compared to the original. Instead, just do something unique and I am sure she''ll love it!

Welcome to PS!

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Thanks Neat, thanks for making me feel welcome.

To answer your question, I could just say she liked everything about it. But more specifically:

1) she liked that it fit. Any of the stores we''ve been at, she has had to do the "make-believe-your-pinky-is-your-ring-finger" routine.
2) She used the word "timeless" to describe it, something that she can wear day-in/day-out and will never be out of style.
3) She loved the cushion cut sapphire, it was a darker blue color, very rich.
4) The total package, it was just like something you would see in the movies. She tried it on and it was like Cinderella''s slipper, especially since she has been all for the Emerald-cut Sapphire and Diamond Trillions, until she saw this ring.

I feel bad that I can''t give her exactly what she wants, but you can only work with what you have. She even said she doesn''t want to put us in a hole right away, just because of her ring.

Actually, just to make sure that I''m on the right track, if you look at the ring specs of the BBB ring (first post)
and I said that the price was around $7k, am I right saying over-priced?

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s hard to say...

It was platinum?
Was it a designer brand like Ritani?
Was the sapphire a really bright blue? Did it sparkle? Or was it a navy really dark blue?

The thing is about sapphires, is that there is a huuuuuuge range of quality. So without knowing more about the stone, it''s really hard to estimate a price. You can get a 2 carat sapphire for $100 or you can literally spend tens of thousands.

But assuming that the setting with pave is probably around $3,000, yes, it was probably overpriced. I''m sure you can do a similar thing for around $5,000 (assuming a nice $2,000 sapphire and $3,000 for the setting).

I''ll look around for you and see what else I can dig up!

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Neat,

You asked all the questions that I asked the dealer @ BBB.
1.gif

It had no designer, he said it was just part of BBB''s collection.

It was 18k White Gold setting and the sapphire was more dark blue than light. Plus there was no cert. on the sapphire, other than it was a natural sapphire. I had the guy call and find out more and he did tell me that the sapphire was heated, which I know brings out the color. But, that''s all I got about the sapphire.

You''re right, I am seeing all types of sapphires, ranging in color and price.

Chris

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
HERE is a ritani one that BBB probably sells for a little over $5,000.

HERE is another ritani to possibly take inspiration from for about $4,000.

HERE is a really funky one from NSC. It''s a pink sapphire, but the design seems right. I am sure they could make this with any stone in any color. But the price is reasonable.

ANOTHER NSC beauty. A little unique, but still has the same idea.

THIS one is FANTASTIC and I bet a large part of the price is the perfect sapphire. I think they could do this one for you for less than $5000 with a different stone.

Hope those have provided some inspiration!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if it was dark blue and heated, then for sure it's overpriced. Heating does bring out the color, but also lowers the price of a sapphire. Dark blue isn't as cherished as the medium blues like this one:

ETA: You can surely do better on the setting too if you go custom. Both on price and quality.

SapphireJ383_1.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Is this close? This is from Ross Simons, so it really isn''t the same, but it sounds like what you''re describing.

216955c.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This Mark Patterson split shank halo has knifedge bands for the split shank with pave on both faces.. pretty... It''s set with an asscher, but you could imagine a cushion.

58eacf8ec9c658a9a9322b7a8d67c537.jpg

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Hello my new friends,

I have scanned the photocopy of the ring at BBB and it''s the best that I can do.

Neat.....that setting is the closest I have seen yet. It may be picky, but there are a few differences with the setting, but a GREAT find!! Emailed them about a smaller sapphire with that setting.

I think I am going to take all the evidence that I have on that ring, along with the pics and come up with the design for it. I''d like to share it when done for your thoughts...

A question for thought.....seems like this e-ring search and purchase could be done completely online, so how confident are you in what you see and what you get??

Thanks for all the advice!

Chris

bbb1.jpg

vanman73

Rough_Rock
top view

bb3.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris, I just wanted to say that she is a lucky girl considering all the care and effort you are putting into this ring! I would say that it is likely that you will end up with a better quality ring than the one from BBB! I''d really recommend getting an untreated sapphire from somewhere like NSC, though. They do have a pave halo ring like this one, as an example:

sapphireringhalo1b.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 9:47:58 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Chris, I just wanted to say that she is a lucky girl considering all the care and effort you are putting into this ring! I would say that it is likely that you will end up with a better quality ring than the one from BBB! I''d really recommend getting an untreated sapphire from somewhere like NSC, though. They do have a pave halo ring like this one, as an example:

Completely agreed. But you can get something nice by working online as long as you have the time, and work closely with a reputable vendor. If you''re picking a sapphire I strongly suggest getting it shipped to you for inspection before it''s set to make sure it meets your requirements. Most of us (including mine!) have bought our erings completely online.

vanman73

Rough_Rock
Neat,

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to make a slideshow with pics of different rings and the photocopy I have, to describe the ring I am trying to create. This way it will give the designer a good idea what I am looking for. I''ll probably work on it this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and great suggestions. I will keep you posted on my search!

Have a great weekend!

C

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
that is going to be a gorgeous drool worthy ring!!!! keep us posted and lots of pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results