shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire for engagement ring. SOS!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1373744841|3482486 said:
Does she like concave faceting? I don't (like, I abhor it), so I wouldn't be happy to receive this stone in an engagement ring. Concave cutting has a very love it or hate it thing going on. Do you think she will feel strongly either way? It's something to consider!

+1 I love sapphires and to be honest a sapphire in a VC setting makes me sudder. If your girlfriend likes the VC setting then she probably has an eye for a more antique look. Concave cutting is beautiful but very modern and contemporary in style to me. To mesh the 2 together would not be pretty in my opinion.

As Chrono pointed out most people either love or hate it. I used to not mind it but he more I see of them the more I realize that my style is a bit more old world and romantic. I would not get one of these from Richard Homer till you know for sure how she feels about it.

Jesusfreak

Rough_Rock
What do you think about this ring?

Its 8.75x6.45x6.10

Its unheated and looks to be a brilliant blue color. Its set in platinum with .60 of diamonds.

Trying to get a feel for your/her style.

Ulysses

__kgrhqn__jce1jimbvokbnhlvto8pq___3.jpg

__kgrhqr__kwe1lc7ofiqbnhlvse-s____3.jpg

__kgrhqv__iee1kwbwjvdbnhlvvgb_g___3.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Jesusfreak|1373880637|3483158 said:
What do you think about this ring?

Its 8.75x6.45x6.10

Its unheated and looks to be a brilliant blue color. Its set in platinum with .60 of diamonds.

Trying to get a feel for your/her style.

Ulysses

Pretty ring.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Looks good, i'll shoot him an e-mail.

Thanks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not describe the stone in the ring that Ulysses showed you as a brilliant blue. Please be careful and ask many questions before you seriously consider purchasing any stone. :))

SB621

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1373952411|3483803 said:
I would not describe the stone in the ring that Ulysses showed you as a brilliant blue. Please be careful and ask many questions before you seriously consider purchasing any stone. :))

I think the setting is pretty but the sapphire is pretty dead.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ulysses!

I think that is a nice ring. I saw it on eBay some time ago. I'm not sure the sapphire looked all that hot though and she hates the ovals.

We've decided on the Van Craeynest setting as a certainty, so at least i am that far. It will likely be the 1012, but also considering the 1024. See pics below. The setting will cost an arm and a leg, she is pretty set on a round, so am willing to consider heated stones at this point. Size wise i am looking for 6.5 - 8mm. 7mm is probably the sweet spot. Value is more important than price, but i think my new limit will be around 6k. Which should be a enough for me to get quality stone from what i've seen. I will start having them send me stones, but it has definitely been helpful to have the folks on here give there comments on stones. There have been a couple that looked fine to me, but had windows or other issues.

vc1012.jpg

vc1024.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh pretty I really liked the first ring you posted. Did you have any luck with Jeff contacting you back?

Also not sure but there is a PSer selling her VC ring. It is priced very well, but not sure if your girlfriend will like it. It would hold an 8mm round.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/platinum-van-craeynest-448-setting-size-6-5-t191149.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/platinum-van-craeynest-448-setting-size-6-5-t191149.html[/URL]

EDit- nevermind I see it sold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first setting is nothing short of amazing. This is not to say the second one isn't pretty since I almost commissioned it myself earlier this year. ;))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the first VC setting - that is delicate and strong all at once. Truly beautiful and a blue sapphire will look amazing set in it!

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I love that 1st setting too!

Have you looked at this sapphire on Gemfix - the main photo doesn't look as good as the hand shot, but it is a 7.4mm round, unheated blue sapphire at under $5K - may be worth giving Andrew a call to get a better description?

Attachments

• _55.bmp
    136.7 KB · Views: 541

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend loves the first one. I really like the second... Soooo i'll probably be going with the first.

Our first choice was the ring setting below (see 1st pic), but it was just too expensive. Over 10k for the platinum version!

Yes, i did hear back from Jeff. I probably will end up going with him. Pleasure to deal with! Is it pretty much consensus that he is the best out there? I just wanted to do some diligence on some of the pre-cut stones from some of the other dealers before going custom.

He said that from the rough he has, he would likely come up with a stone similar to the color below (see 2nd pic). 1.5 - 2cts. I'll have to ask about the width. It would be an unheated Ceylon. Sounds like the stone would be slightly darker than the reference stone i provided (see 3rd pic). I absolutely love the color of the reference stone.

D

_7966.jpg

jw_sample.jpg

sapphire_blue_1124.jpg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Agree that first VC setting is gorgeous! Definitely +1 for that one :D

And I think your commissioned stone is going to turn out beautiful if those are the reference colors!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who's the best out there for you will depend on who is able to get the right stone for you when you need it. :bigsmile: In terms of going custom, it seems that Jeff is most likely to be able to procure the right rough / re-cut stone that meets your requirements. Is he cutting "new" rough or will it be a re-cut stone? What did he imply / write to give you the impression that the end result will be slightly darker than your reference stone (3rd picture)? I would not go any darker than pictured.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1374003439|3484173 said:
Who's the best out there for you will depend on who is able to get the right stone for you when you need it. :bigsmile: In terms of going custom, it seems that Jeff is most likely to be able to procure the right rough / re-cut stone that meets your requirements. Is he cutting "new" rough or will it be a re-cut stone? What did he imply / write to give you the impression that the end result will be slightly darker than your reference stone (3rd picture)? I would not go any darker than pictured.

I agree completely. The picture of Jeff's stone he sent as an example of what the rough would look like looks lighter to me than your reference pick, so I'm confused by Jeff stating that the stone he would cut would be darker than your stone...?

Jesusfreak

Rough_Rock
carmen1|1374000213|3484134 said:
I love that 1st setting too!

Have you looked at this sapphire on Gemfix - the main photo doesn't look as good as the hand shot, but it is a 7.4mm round, unheated blue sapphire at under $5K - may be worth giving Andrew a call to get a better description?

FYI,

I have seen this stone in person.

If you are looking for a stone that is well saturated with color this isn't your baby. If you are looking for a lighter colored stone with a good cut then this would be a good choice. In hand it was much lighter than one might think from looking at the two pictures from their website. They have a great selection of sapphires on their website and I spent a good amount of time looking on there. Andrew is a great guy. I talked to him on the phone and he is a very genuine guy that has good intentions. I think the picture of the stone was taken at the best angle with the best lighting to represent the stone but the color isn't as intense. However, the cut is pretty well represented.

On a different note,
Every stone will act different in all different types of lighting. I came to the understanding that you want a stone to look good where it will be looked at 85-90 percent of the time(this was also Advice from Andrew and I agree 100%). Its very unlikely and not practical that woman show off their stones on the beach or outside on overcast days where the blue seems to look best. If the workplace is in an office or simply indoors, take the stone there or a place that has the same kind of lighting and gauge the color and beauty of the stone based on that lighting.

With all that being said,

I cant stress enough how important i feel it is to see stones in person. They can never look the way that you imagine them too. I think the only way to capture their best true to life color and clarity is through the use of an HD video. Not many utilize this because it takes a lot of time and technique IMO.

I have heard good things about Jeff.

Those two settings that were posted are pretty amazing. very unique and I like that!

Ulysses

Jesusfreak

Rough_Rock
Have you seen this stone?
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6918

I wanted soo bad to buy from Dana at Master Cut Gems. Partly because of the quality and price structure that he follows and most importantly how great of a guy he really is. I know this is a heated stone but I would imagine that it would fit your criteria otherwise. I would ask him for pricing on it. If I had stayed stuck on rounds I would have given it a try and requested to see it.

Ulysses

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jesusfreak

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1374023019|3484428 said:
Jesusfreak|1374016396|3484326 said:

I am curious to find out how it looks in person too; my gut feel says it is much darker in person than pictured, based on the profile view.

I agree with you Chrono. I would have liked to see the stone up close and personal myself.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/still-looking-for-sapphire.187966/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/still-looking-for-sapphire.187966/page-2[/URL]

That is the post with a shot from a member here for reference. I know you have seen it but its for the post starter....O.P? What does O.P mean anyways? I hear that used on forums and never knew the meaning. lol.

Ulysses

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP = Original Poster aka Post Starter :wavey:

Jesusfreak

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1374024881|3484455 said:
OP = Original Poster aka Post Starter :wavey:

Gotcha!! lol

Thanks!!

Ulysses

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
In Jeff's words:

That is very helpful (in showing him my reference stone). I don't have any blues that will be that exact tone of blue. I have one really nice blue that will be a bit darker than that.

So not very much info at all. He is starting from uncut rough, so said he couldn't give me much guidance AGL wise on what it might look like. So all i have to go on is the above... Which kind of concerns me. I've asked a few more clarifying questions on this, i'll keep you posted on what he says.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Its been a little while since i've had any progress! I finally received a picture of the rough from Jeff. It turns out its actually a native cut stone that he is going to re-cut. Attached is a picture. Thoughts?

sap114before.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little dark and possibly a bit silky but a recut should improve its brilliance significantly.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like the color of that stone.

For reference, silksapphire's sapphire is considered by many PSers to be one of the best sapphires on here. I believe that Richard Hughes helped her pick it at a Hong Kong trade show. I know that it is personally my holy grail color for a sapphire. It may take a while to find a stone in this color, in the size and cut you want. You will probably have to compromise something to get top color.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
I just saw her Sapphire. Beautiful!

How much would something like that cost if i were looking for a 2ct version?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least $6000 and upwards, with $6000 considered really inexpensive and a super deal.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Hello folks, I am back after being off the search for 8 months. After not seeing what we liked we decided to take some time off and sink the money into a new car.

But alas i still need a ring and a sapphire. We are still sticking with the Van Craeynest. Below are 2 shots of the same sapphire... Has an inclusion but i love the color. It would go in a white platinum setting. At this point heated is fine. And size wise, i probably only need something in the 6mm range since these rings don't take large stones without reworking the die.

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_blue/sapphire_blue_1171.jpg

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_blue/sapphire_blue_1171_A.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results