carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire for engagement ring. SOS!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
devaughnb|1397408924|3652785 said:
Hello folks, I am back after being off the search for 8 months. After not seeing what we liked we decided to take some time off and sink the money into a new car.

But alas i still need a ring and a sapphire. We are still sticking with the Van Craeynest. Below are 2 shots of the same sapphire... Has an inclusion but i love the color. It would go in a white platinum setting. At this point heated is fine. And size wise, i probably only need something in the 6mm range since these rings don't take large stones without reworking the die.

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_blue/sapphire_blue_1171.jpg

http://www.gemfix.com/images/stones/sapphire_blue/sapphire_blue_1171_A.jpg

If you love it, then you should go for it and see it in person - photographing gems and getting their color spot on, especially with as shifty as sapphires can be is not an easy task - Best of luck, and I'm sure that it will turn out beautifully :)

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
I know, i know. I should see these in person. But being out of country is adding some complexity and risk. What do you all think of the color of these two? One is a bit silky, but i think its very nice. Is there any thought around which one is generally preferred?

sapphire_blue_1171.jpg

sapphire_blue_1171_a.jpg

sapphire_blue_1110.jpg

sapphire_blue_1110_a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
devaughnb|1399522536|3668294 said:
I know, i know. I should see these in person. But being out of country is adding some complexity and risk. What do you all think of the color of these two? One is a bit silky, but i think its very nice. Is there any thought around which one is generally preferred?

If you are not buying in person, I would avoid silky stones. Yes, some people love them but some people see them as hazy or oily and feel as though the stone is in need of cleaning all the time. It is best to play it safe unless you know which camp you fall into. The one you showed is too silky for me.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Thanks again Chrono. I've also contacted some of your recommended merchants. BTW, do you see any concerns with the 2nd stone?

Now that i have been at this for some time i am noticing the different sapphire cuts.. Roulette, Portuguese, etc. Are there any styles favored over others? More classic? Or a sign of higher craftsmanship?

D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure how "blue" you'd like your sapphire to be. It looks to be slightly on the dark side in the picture and I'm concerned it will be even darker and less intense in person, as it seems to be the experience of most PSers who purchase blue sapphires from GemFix.

Stones are cut with different designs for different reasons (shape of rough, darken or lighten the tone, increase brilliancy, etc). It is a personal preference. I wouldn't necessarily say it is a sign of higher craftsmanship because I've purchased Portuguese cut pink spinels and sphenes off eBay (most likely by unknown Thai lapidaries). A high level of craftsmanship will be evidenced by the level of symmetry and polish, the preciseness of meet points, and other cutting criteria, not necessarily tied to design.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. Its a shame gemfix has that reputation. I really appreciate their pricing transparency.

Hear is another sapphire for consideration from one of the sellers often mentioned here. It is 1.71 carats, 6.6mm. Seems a bit heavy for the width?

sapphirebluerd1_72ct_7994.jpg

sapphirebluerd1_72ct_8144.jpg

7277.jpg

7285.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard that his photography sucks (if I'm guessing the correct lapidary) so I'm guessing this sapphire looks a lot nicer in person. It faces up just tad small for the carat weight but if the colour is great, I would gladly take the trade-off.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on this last one? I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on it.

Do stones with such heavy weight to face width ratio present any issues beyond being more expensive?

BTW, i tried to PM you a question regarding pricing. But unfortunately it seems that i am unable?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Place the stone on hold whilst you ask the vendor following:

1. What is the darkest the sapphire ever gets (how much extinction/darkness versus bright facet flash)?
2. Describe the colour of the sapphire when it is indoors (fluorescent) and outdoors (sunlight).
3. Any possible chance of a hand shot or video because this is a long distance purchase (sight unseen and probably no returns due to circumstances).

There are many reasons why some stones are cut a bit deeply. The obvious one is to save weight but sometimes being a deeper also helps the stone look a little darker in tone and richer in saturation.

ETA
PS does not have a PM function.

devaughnb

Rough_Rock
Thats a shame. Ok ill just be open in that case. The price seems good. Top heated pieces at gemfix were going at 2k a carat.

Dealer says, its one of the finest he's had in 33 years! That may be a give away to you as to who the dealer is as you mentioned him.

Photos are taken under 5000k degree light. Richly colored blue with a hint of purple. Slightly lighter in tone under clouds, but hue is the same.

He says he makes all of his diamonds to incorporate a hearts and arrows affect seen in diamonds.

Wasn't willing to take a video. Ill ask again for a picture.... Encouraged me to use the return policy.

D

Chrono, i think i would have paid a lot of money to commission someone as yourself to find me a good stone. Buying sapphires is not at all an easy endeavour.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results