shape
carat
color
clarity

Bling Sellers Please Beware

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala I have emailed the buyer three times to offer refund. No answer. I can’t add to my response on PayPal until they ask for more information (as far as I can tell). If I just refund her on PayPal will they insist she ship it back? Not according to their email to me as shown above. So frustrating.
Thank you @MamaBee. Definitely a word of caution here. Ugh.

No!! Do not refund her!!! Nope. You will Not refund her. PayPal has funds frozen. They will do it when case is closed. After she has shipped.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No!! Do not refund her!!! Nope. You will Not refund her. PayPal has funds frozen. They will do it when case is closed. After she has shipped.

Thank you!!! Ok! I will be patient. Admittedly not my strongest virtue. Many thanks from one teacher to another @nala !! ♥❤️

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!!! Ok! I will be patient. Admittedly not my strongest virtue. Many thanks from one teacher to another @nala !! ♥❤️

Awww! No worries! Enjoy your weekend and try not to stress over this.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww! No worries! Enjoy your weekend and try not to stress over this.

Thank again so much. You do the same! :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@nala I have emailed the buyer three times to offer refund. No answer. I can’t add to my response on PayPal until they ask for more information (as far as I can tell). If I just refund her on PayPal will they insist she ship it back? Not according to their email to me as shown above. So frustrating.
Thank you @MamaBee. Definitely a word of caution here. Ugh.

I hope you spoke to someone at PayPal instead of email. I had a problem with a seller on Etsy who took my return of a ring but didn’t refund my money. I spoke to PayPal on the phone a few times...The only time they would take your money out of the account is if you don’t answer their emails requesting information. I like to actually talk to people there so they can get the whole picture.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, so sorry you are dealing with this.
I keep debating selling some of my rings that are sitting unworn, but this type of thing is what holds me back.
I hope everything works out for you in the end!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee thanks!! I tried to call but there is no way you can get through now. Thanks for your advice though I’ll keep trying.

@Bonfire I understand. I’ve never had a problem before but this has definitely given me great pause for selling in the future. Thanks so much!! I hope I am wrong about this, but only time will tell...and it doesn’t feel right now that she has ghosted me despite my repeated offers to refund.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee thanks!! I tried to call but there is no way you can get through now. Thanks for your advice though I’ll keep trying.

@Bonfire I understand. I’ve never had a problem before but this has definitely given me great pause for selling in the future. Thanks so much!! I hope I am wrong about this, but only time will tell...and it doesn’t feel right now that she has ghosted me despite my repeated offers to refund.

Yes @Slick1..Keep trying them on
the phone. You want it documented that you tried to resolve this.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would only sell to long time members on PS...

For sure. If at all tbh. I will keep trying to call PayPal. I do have my email thread with this buyer as well as having responded and offering refund within minutes to her claim on PP. Frustrating as hell though.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Slick1 if you don’t receive your item back please share the buyer’s name. Not out of revenge but to protect others.

Hoping you get your ring back.

I was reading this and going to say the same thing! I was thinking LT and DB would be better than EBay; I've sold a few things on there without problems and I have alot of listings on there that I posted just last week.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @nala says - this is a CYA message from PayPal. They can't guarantee that the item will be returned... Because they don't actually have the item or control over what the buyer does with it - the buyer might be a lunatic who feeds it to her dog. But 99.999% PP isn't going to be unreasonable enough to leave you without both ring and money. If you'd been selling counterfeit Tiffany - you'd probably be out both - but not for something like this. So don't worry yet!!

I'm thinking the buyer might just be peeved with having to pay shipping on something that isn't the size she wanted. Mandrels really aren't identical, bizarrely enough ;(

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi fellow PSers,
Just a note of caution on selling our baubles on Diamondbistro and Loupetroop. Although I have sold quite a few pieces on those sites, I am afraid I am being scammed right now.
Last weekend I sold a ring on DB. Buyer and I had a back and forth correspondence which resulted in this person purchasing the band. I promptly sent the ring insured to the buyer in CA (I am in NY). Buyer receives ring and says the sizing is incorrect. I sold it as a 7.5 and she claims it is an 8. Despite having Final Sale stated in my listing she wants to return it. I am amenable to that if she sends the ring back. She immediately files a Paypal claim stating Not as described.
I respond on PP that I would refund the funds when the ring is shipped back, minus my fees and postage of about $30 (though at this point I would eat that as well for the ring back). I am waiting for PP to resolve the case before 12/21. In my response I included a screenshot of my listing which stated Final Sale, which she conveniently excluded from her claim, of course.
I then kindly email the buyer that I would refund her if they send the ring back. Crickets. Three emails from me over three days, nicely asking them to just send it back and I will refund, continue to go unanswered.
I also receive an email from PP that they cannot guarantee that the merchandise will be returned!! I have read that they consistently side with buyers!
What is my recourse here if any? I now have no ring and the funds are pending in PP and likely to be refunded if I have researched correctly. Again, even though we spoke at length prior to sale, I had Final Sale in my listing, I fear I might be getting scammed.
This experience has certainly and maybe permanently tarnished my bling hobby for me.

Oh sh#t

I hope it works out

(Why can't the silly woman just get the ring resized)

Why do they say they might not return your merchandise ?
That sounds very unethical
What happens to the stuff they don't return ......?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this has happened to you.
While the vast majority of people are honest and are decent, scammers are out there.
I buy on eBay, I choose my seller just as many of them choose me as a buyer. I have a 15 year plus record.
On loupe troop there is no feedback / sale history / purchase history to assess the reliability of sellers or buyers. So most sellers ask for Friends and Family payment. Now, that transfers all the risk to the buyer so there is no recourse for the buyer if the seller sends nothing. Many buyers won’t take that risk, the want the seller to take the risk.
On loupe troop you don’t have the ability to “reference” your buyer, you can’t see if they created an account 5 minutes ago or 5 years ago.
I am happy to pay via Family and Friends (and have done a heap of purchases on Loupe Troop) if the seller is a PSer. Likewise sellers who wouldn’t normally ship to Australia will do so for me because through PS they can judge me (I hope) as a decent honest person.
My advice is to insist on Family and Friends payment unless they are known to you through Pricescope.
Loupe Troop is a place for “good buys“ sellers aren’t paying fees or commission to sell so the price for a buyer is lower. That is the trade off for buyers. If the buyer doesn’t want to pay Friends and Family, their choice so no sale.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, wait.
Paypal is a bit tricky when it’s not used in conjunction with eBay.
Your funds are “frozen” until the case is resolved.
The case is open for you and the buyer to resolve for 20 days. In your case, the buyer needs to respond to your emails, provide evidence of return shipping, so once you get the item back, you refund.
If the case is escalated to a claim by the buyer, PayPal will decide what happens. If the case details show that you have been trying to resolve the issue, you have offered a refund upon return of the item, PayPal is unlikely to find in the buyers favor. When PayPal decides they instruct both parties as to what actions are required ie the buyer provides evidence of a tracked return parcel (hopefully containing the item) and they refund the buyer. Or they find in favour of you, release the funds to you and the buyer keeps the item.
If the buyer doesn’t escalate the case to a claim within 20 days, PayPal will close the case. That releases the funds to you as seller.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Bron357 Unfortunately, the buyer immediately filed a claim, I believe. I responded and now we wait for PayPal to decide I guess.. I can’t add any more information to my statement to let them know that I have tried to resolve this. Frustrating! I will no longer accept normal payment and only friends and family going further.

@yssie I included the information that Mandrels often differ in sizes. I can’t believe for a second, being a size 7.5 and having had many rings, that she truly can’t wear it. I think it’s a case of buyers remorse or that she is being unethical. Also, at this point I would refund the whole price but it does irk me because I should be made whole too.

@Daisys and Diamonds Thank you! It is an eternity band with stones all around and can’t be sized the normal way. She could add sizing beads but I sadly really don’t have a good feeling about this buyer any longer. :(

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update! Thanks to all for weighing in!!

Many thanks to @MamaBee I called PayPal repeatedly today and finally reached a person at PayPal. Thank you for encouraging me to speak to someone @MamaBee.

The customer rep said that the buyer made a huge “no-no” by escalating this from a dispute to a claim immediately. Especially given the fact that I was willing to refund. She said I am a loyal customer of 12 years at PayPal with no issues and that will hold some weight as well.

The buyer will be told that they need to provide tracking of the return package and I will have to actually receive it before they release the funds back to them. I will videotape the package opening in case it is empty or the wrong item. She also told me that I will be made whole.

Also of note, interestingly, sizing is not a protected item with PayPal.

I feel immensely relieved at this development because the lack of communication, in what was otherwise congenial beforehand, is concerning.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think regardless of the sizing, even if you’d said nothing at all about mandrel differing - there’s no good reason for her to be avoiding your attempts to contact and resolve. I really do think PP won’t penalize you, since you’re obviously trying to work with your buyer - especially if the buyer doesn’t get her act together!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I responded at just the wrong time and missed your update!!

Wonderful news!!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you got good news from PayPal!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just read this whole thread, I'm so glad you've gotten some good news from PP! And now, I'm curious to see if you have other things on LT for sale....as a 7.5/8 would fit me.....but again...bling budget is pennies...off to drool. <3

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t worry, PayPal is reasonable, they are aware there are scam buyers.
There are limited reasons why a buyer can raise a dispute. The wording is “significantly not as described”. That doesn’t cover a slight discrepancy in ring size, it doesn’t cover a tiny scratch visible under magnification of the item was listed as “used” or “preloved”. It’s for when a buyer thinks they are buying a Bracelet and get a necklace, when the listing says hallmarked 14k gold and there is no hallmark, when the ring has missing gems, is bent out of shape AND the listing or photos don’t show these flaws.
A dispute is also supposed to open up a dialogue between buyer and seller. That’s the purpose of the 20 days.
Oops I accidentally sent you the bracelet, please return it and I’ll send the necklace.
Oops, I made a mistake in the listing, it’s actually only gold plated. Please return it for a refund.
When the buyer and seller can’t come to an agreement, usually when the buyer wants a return / refund and the seller says “no return / no refund”, the buyer can escalate It to a claim.
At this point Paypal decides.
Paypal can decide the buyer has no valid dispute / claim and they close the case and release the funds to the seller. Buyer keeps item, end of story.
PayPal can decide a return and return is fair. Buyer is instructed to return item to seller via tracked mail (though this can be at the sellers expense, not buyer) and once item is returned, funds are returned to the buyer.
the buyer doesn’t not get to keep item and get their money back.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have trade me here - its NZ ebay
I brought a ring off someone
it came in silver or gold
he listed the gold picture but did not mention which metal
His ring was silver
fortunately he let me back out of the auction, but trade me weren't so keen
but the photo was clearly not the ring for sale

Its a mind feild out there

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @yssie I really appreciate you weighing in as I respect your opinion and always agree with your postings!
@MamaBee and @Daisys and Diamonds Now I can enjoy my weekend. Thanks so much!!

@Slick1, I'm adding my well wishes for a peaceful and happy resolution in your favor to this scam-possible debacle. I hope you can feel the support and warmth from your fellow PS'ers around the world.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww @Redwoods-hiker-girl I am so thankful for the support and well wishes from this amazing community. Thank you very much for your kind words. They made me smile :) even through the worry.

@Daisys and Diamonds ugh. It is a minefield out there! I think I’ll take a break from the second-hand market selling for a bit. I’m glad you were able to cancel your auction piece! Phew!

@MamaBee ((hugs)) thank you for your support and help! ❤️

Thank you @Bron357 for your wise words. I think my feelings and fear of being duped and ghosted got the better of me. I’m sure PayPal will rule in a reasonable way and I hope the buyer acts appropriately, as I did.

@YadaYadaYada thank you! I do feel relief but will feel much better when this is over. Be careful out there. ❤️

@Cozystitches haha. Well this ring is beautiful and I am hoping to get it back. I hope your bling fund improves soon so you can buy yourself something special!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results