carat
color
clarity

Bling Sellers Please Beware

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi fellow PSers,
Just a note of caution on selling our baubles on Diamondbistro and Loupetroop. Although I have sold quite a few pieces on those sites, I am afraid I am being scammed right now.
Last weekend I sold a ring on DB. Buyer and I had a back and forth correspondence which resulted in this person purchasing the band. I promptly sent the ring insured to the buyer in CA (I am in NY). Buyer receives ring and says the sizing is incorrect. I sold it as a 7.5 and she claims it is an 8. Despite having Final Sale stated in my listing she wants to return it. I am amenable to that if she sends the ring back. She immediately files a Paypal claim stating Not as described.
I respond on PP that I would refund the funds when the ring is shipped back, minus my fees and postage of about $30 (though at this point I would eat that as well for the ring back). I am waiting for PP to resolve the case before 12/21. In my response I included a screenshot of my listing which stated Final Sale, which she conveniently excluded from her claim, of course.
I then kindly email the buyer that I would refund her if they send the ring back. Crickets. Three emails from me over three days, nicely asking them to just send it back and I will refund, continue to go unanswered.
I also receive an email from PP that they cannot guarantee that the merchandise will be returned!! I have read that they consistently side with buyers!
What is my recourse here if any? I now have no ring and the funds are pending in PP and likely to be refunded if I have researched correctly. Again, even though we spoke at length prior to sale, I had Final Sale in my listing, I fear I might be getting scammed.
This experience has certainly and maybe permanently tarnished my bling hobby for me.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi fellow PSers,
Just a note of caution on selling our baubles on Diamondbistro and Loupetroop. Although I have sold quite a few pieces on those sites, I am afraid I am being scammed right now.
Last weekend I sold a ring on DB. Buyer and I had a back and forth correspondence which resulted in this person purchasing the band. I promptly sent the ring insured to the buyer in CA (I am in NY). Buyer receives ring and says the sizing is incorrect. I sold it as a 7.5 and she claims it is an 8. Despite having Final Sale stated in my listing she wants to return it. I am amenable to that if she sends the ring back. She immediately files a Paypal claim stating Not as described.
I respond on PP that I would refund the funds when the ring is shipped back, minus my fees and postage of about $30 (though at this point I would eat that as well for the ring back). I am waiting for PP to resolve the case before 12/21. In my response I included a screenshot of my listing which stated Final Sale, which she conveniently excluded from her claim, of course.
I then kindly email the buyer that I would refund her if they send the ring back. Crickets. Three emails from me over three days, nicely asking them to just send it back and I will refund, continue to go unanswered.
I also receive an email from PP that they cannot guarantee that the merchandise will be returned!! I have read that they consistently side with buyers!
What is my recourse here if any? I now have no ring and the funds are pending in PP and likely to be refunded if I researched correctly. Again, even though we spoke at length prior to sale, I had Final Sale in my listing, I fear I have been scammed.
This experience may have tarnished my bling hobby for me for good.

Oh no :(

Sending you lots of good luck dust that you have not been scammed and also big hugs because no matter what everything will be OK and I hope PP refunds you in full. (((((HUGS)))))).

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @missy I just don't have a good feeling about this unfortunately especially since the buyer is ignoring my offer of a full refund. I think I will be out the money and the ring. I am more upset about the dishonesty than the money at this point. So disappointing!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @missy I just don't have a good feeling about this unfortunately especially since the buyer is ignoring my offer of a full refund. I think I will be out the money and the ring. I am more upset about the dishonesty than the money at this point. So disappointing!!

I know, it is so disheartening any time of year but especially now. People can suck so much. Big hugs to you my dear friend. I hope PP rules in your favor. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
How shitty. I’m sorry this is happening. What an awful thing to do!

I’m thinking you could file a police report. Possibly pursue in small claims court? Possibly see if the post office is willing to do anything about them using USPS to commit fraud. If they never return and get a refund, I’d be petty and post their info all over any website where people buy & sell advising they’re a scammer - but who knows if this is legal, don’t follow my legal advice. I’d probably also see what I could find about them on social media and pursue those avenues too.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Please let us know how it turns out. I would hate to think PayPal would do something as ridiculously unfair as allow a buyer to keep the merchandise and the money too.

My understanding is that once a buyer files a claim with PayPal, they can opt to wait for the PayPal ruling on it if they choose rather than deal with the seller directly anymore. That way, they have backup from PayPal that whatever is decided on is followed through on. So maybe that's what's going on. Good luck with it.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Gah. Stuff like this is why I have yet to sell anything online. That is scary. I’ve wondered if it would help to limit sales to PSers?

I’m so sorry this is happening to you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very sorry. I only sold through my local, trusted jeweler...years ago. And, if memory serves, he only sold one substantial diamond for me. My jewelry just sits in safety deposit boxes.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy and @seaurchin @winnietucker @Tonks and @AGBF !! I agree, this is disheartening especially when you try to do the right thing and offer a refund when the goods are returned.
I have thought about a small claims suit but I think I would have to file in Cali when I am in NY, so not ideal, but I will look into that if needed. I have also thought of putting the username of this individual out there after this is settled to warn others.
I just don’t understand the silence when I have offered exactly what they wanted?!
At this point it is not even about the money but rather I am disgusted at being possibly played a fool. I just want the ring back at this point. I will never again sell unless I ‘know’ the person from here, if at all. Thanks all for your advice and for listening to my story.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slick, I hope you aren’t getting scanned but if she mailed it, it may very well still be in transit.

I am still awaiting a gem I purchased last week from a recommended vendor. It’s going from Delaware to Louisiana and was supposed to be delivered yesterday but was still far away (I can’t remember where).

In the last 2 weeks, all of my deliveries have been very delayed.

Have you thought about offering her a $65 dollar discount so she can get it resized?

But, yes, you might be getting scammed. I hope you aren’t.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and for your information. This is from the PayPal email telling me about the claim. E4DAD605-9F06-42C4-A913-3D9D4AE00F11.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, can’t you get the buyer’s phone number from eBay? I know you used to be able to do that but I haven’t done that in a while.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Thank you for your reply...
I sold on Diamondbistro so not Ebay though I do have the persons name and address. What is to say I will even get the same ring back? It is an eternity band so not sizable.
Isn't that crazy that paypal doesn't insist the buyer return the merchandise refunded?!? I am done with them too!!
I don't know why they wouldn't answer me that they have shipped it back if they, in fact, did so.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sold on Diamondbistro so not Ebay though I do have the persons name and address. What is to say I will even get the same ring back? It is an eternity band so not sizable.
Isn't that crazy that paypal doesn't insist the buyer return the merchandise refunded?!? I am done with them too!!
I don't know why they wouldn't answer me that they have shipped it back if they, in fact did.

Oh, yeah, that’s a good point.

I just checked on my piece. It was mailed on december 7 from Dover, Delaware and has now made it all the way to Trenton, NJ.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 if you don’t receive your item back please share the buyer’s name. Not out of revenge but to protect others.

Hoping you get your ring back.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you happen to have the original receipt indicating it is a size 7.5, or photo of it on ring mandrel?

Thank you for your suggestions, I do not have that information as I purchased it preloved and it fit perfectly on my size 7.5. I have had so many rings, I would feel/know the difference in a 7.5 and an 8 on my arthritic finger...which is why I said to just send it back for refund. I should have done that. My fault! :cry:

@missy I will do that for sure to warn others. Just hoping I am wrong and it is legit..though it doesn't feel that way now.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you happen to have the original receipt indicating it is a size 7.5, or photo of it on ring mandrel?

Not all mandrels are universal. I have 3 different jewelers and they all have a different one! So when I list me rings I always say plus or minus up to one half size— bc that’s how much mine vary!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not all mandrels are universal. I have 3 different jewelers and they all have a different one! So when I list me rings I always say plus or minus up to one half size— bc that’s how much mine vary!

Yes!! Thank you! I totally agree and stated such on my reply in PayPal. I tried to find information on the internet about this from a good source to cite. I came up empty. I am just so disillusioned by this experience.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!! Thank you! I totally agree and stated such on my reply in PayPal. I tried to find information on the internet about this from a good source to cite. I came up empty. I am just so disillusioned by this experience.

I have to say that I have sold plenty on eBay and maybe a couple of times had disputes. Never did the buyer refuse to return an item nor did PayPal indicate that they had no need to. Is buyer making a stink bc you want to subtract shipping fees? They might feel ripped off bc they paid for shipping and are left with nothing. Have you contacted them to revise the shipping clause? Perhaps that will compel them to ship it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi fellow PSers,
What is my recourse here if any? I now have no ring and the funds are pending in PP and likely to be refunded if I have researched correctly. Again, even though we spoke at length prior to sale, I had Final Sale in my listing, I fear I might be getting scammed.
This experience has certainly and maybe permanently tarnished my bling hobby for me.

Oh no @Slick1! I’m upset this happened to you! I hope it gets resolved in your favor!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Not saying that this isn’t sketch, but I wouldn’t lose hope just yet. I was thinking about it more and realized that when I first started buying privately I was a mess. There’s a decent chance that it’s also someone unexperienced who thinks maybe the sizing discrepancy indicates other issues and is now also scared? Hopefully that’s the case and this is resolved in everyone’s favor.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Slick1 if you don’t receive your item back please share the buyer’s name. Not out of revenge but to protect others.

Hoping you get your ring back.

I agree! I hope it’s not someone from PS!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
K. Just spoke to hubby who does all my PayPal. He said that PayPal always sends that message. 99 percent of the time, the item will be shipped back. They will not refund the money to the buyer if you don’t receive the item and tracking shows it as such. They don’t guarantee that was is shipped back is your actual item bc that is out of their hands. So in case she doesn’t send your original ring, you would have to tell PayPal and take it from there. But hopefully that doesn’t happen and he said don’t worry about that yet. Just sit and be patient bc it might take a while to ship back but you haven’t lost your money yet. Hope this reassures you.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala I have emailed the buyer three times to offer refund. No answer. I can’t add to my response on PayPal until they ask for more information (as far as I can tell). If I just refund her on PayPal will they insist she ship it back? Not according to their email to me as shown above. So frustrating.
Thank you @MamaBee. Definitely a word of caution here. Ugh.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @nala for your husband’s reassuring words. It does make me feel better. Should I just issue the refund then? Or wait to assure we are on the same page as far as returning the ring?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @nala for your husbands reassuring words. Should I just issue the refund then? Or wait to assure we are on the same page as far as returning the ring?

Don’t refund til you get more info. If the buyer is MIA just wait. You won’t have your ring or the money if you refund too fast.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not saying that this isn’t sketch, but I wouldn’t lose hope just yet. I was thinking about it more and realized that when I first started buying privately I was a mess. There’s a decent chance that it’s also someone unexperienced who thinks maybe the sizing discrepancy indicates other issues and is now also scared? Hopefully that’s the case and this is resolved in everyone’s favor.

I agree she may be nervous too. But I did ship the ring insured next day and it is stamped 14k and it is what I said it was so...and I’ve emailed her kindly to just work with me and I will refund.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t refund til you get more info. If the buyer is MIA just wait. You won’t have your ring or the money if you refund too fast.

Thank you. That’s what I thought too. Especially since they are not replying to my emails offering the refund. Ugh

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results