shape
carat
color
clarity

Bling Bling Cell Phone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it's not a ring, but I didn't know where to put it so it's here for now!
2.gif

All the rage right now is to bling our your cell or PDA or sidekick etc with Swarovski crysals. There are places online (NYC Peach etc) that will do it for you, to the tune of $100-300 depending on who you use...my girlfriend is the only person I know locally that had done it and I loved it. I was going to get a new cell this month and figured I'd have it done professionally when I got the new cell.

Well lo and behold, I don't like any of the cell designs Sprint has right now and my phone works perfectly fine, it's just a bit scratched up. I also saw a friend last weekend who had done her phone herself with a different type of crystal and said it was not hard at all as long as you had the right glue etc. So I found the actual Swarovski DIY kit on eBay for $40 and decided what the heck. I will try it myself on my old phone since I now plan to keep it for another 6 months or so...until the next batch of new designs comes out and I see if I like any then....

I got the light blue sapphire crystals, the lightest blue they had, my favorite color. The kit arrived this week and I went to work yesterday. It took me 3 hours yesterday to do 3/4 of the phone. Today I finished up the rest in an hour.

It looks awesome! It was a bit tedious and I am not the best crafty person ever so it took a bit of doing with the glue placement and the 'design'..aka where do you start and how to measure to ensure you have room for X amount of crystals on one line....I started getting a bit off center towards the end but really all the worry was for nothing. When the thing is done, all you see is bling and I mean it! It's on fire in my kitchen lighting. In the car it throws those little white light dots all over the car. Fun! And all for $40.
2.gif

The only negative for me is the top of the front of the phone...I was not able to do that because that is where the 'flip' opens up to and the crystals would have prevented the phone from opening, obviously not conducive to actually using it. Greg said maybe I could paint it or something so it matches the crystals...so I will have to look into that. It's also of course the area where there's a big scratch on the original gray paint, so now I really want to figure out a way to pretty up that top area.

So anyway here are pictures!! And if anyone wants to know where I got the crystals on eBay, let me know! It took just shy of 600 to do my cell phone front and back and antannae. I literally have about 3 crystals left, I was getting worried there towards the end!

Oh and thanks to Kaleigh for being my RAH RAH crowd on the sidelines when I was doubting I could pull it off and make it look good. That girl is a one-man cheering squad.

2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s the front of the phone before the bling was added...boring huh?!

original cell.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and the battery of the cell while I was working on it. I started in the back figuring if something went horribly wrong it would be better that way!

during bling cell.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and the finished back of the cell phone. The back looks awesome because there are no ''breaks'' in the crystals like the front...more like a Motorola phone. Mine has lots of paininthebutt curves!

back of bling cell.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and the last pic, the finished front of the cell!! This took alot of thought and even some 'pauses' to discuss plan of attack with Greg because I did not want to get to the bottom and have crystals not fit etc. It turned out pretty darn well I think! I wanted to take the crystals up a bit higher on the bottom of the 'screen' curve but they just wouldn't fit super well and it would not have been a 'smooth' curve so I decided against it.

Best part of the project is that it covers up the scratches and nicks and makes the phone look like new! Except for that one top nick that is....but in actuality it's not as noticeable as it is in the pix.

Oh and it sparkles amazingly, these pictures don't even capture how bling blang this thing is!
18.gif
Oh and you can see in the pictures how the different ways of picture taking make the crystals look different colors. The actual color is like a pale true blue...not aqua. I was tempted to get the aqua Swarovski but my girlfriend who had hers done professionally said her Mom had the light blue sapphire and loved it. So I went that route!

front of bling cell.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, will you do mine? Love it!
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow you pulled it off!!!! It looks great. I had my doubts that it would turn out like it did, but you did an awesome job!!!! Love the light blue crystals. And your mom is off the hook. Good job!!!!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The other reason I was hesitant on having it done professionally is you have to send your phone away for a week. What would I do without my phone for a week? I guess if you get a new one then you can use the old one while the new one is being blinged but for now I was screwed!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a somewhat better picture in natural light to show how light the crystals are and more how it looks in 'normal' viewing. The other two were closeups showing the spaces between the crystals but in reality you don't even see them because it's so sparkly. Love it!!
30.gif

actual light bling cell front.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh how fun! What a great way to personalize your phone. You did a super job keeping the lines even and neat too.
Very Nice Miss Mara.
36.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow a ton of work into that?!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
HA! I love it Mara! Very neat and creative! I have a similar flip phone...want more practice?
31.gif

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
I just thought of something else you can bling out for me..I have one of those 74 oz. water jugs that I take EVERYWHERE with me (only way I can make sure I am getting all the water I should), well everyone pokes fun at me for taking it everywhere....particularly since it is HOT PINK! You can bling out my jug for me with pink crystals! That would be cool!
41.gif

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
mara I love it! I had a swarovski phone cover made for my old nokia phone by professionals and yours looks much better for way cheaper! I have a new phone now...do you have the link to which seller you go the kit from? what all came with it? i soo miss my bling bling phone (and watching my fiance squirm when he used to have to use it in public since we shared that phone...)

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay this may be a blone question but do they come off? I take my phoen with me in my pockets often or in my bookbag...wouldnt they get all over things? Thought this could be a fun thing for me to do for my bestest buddy...a neat b-day present. Oh I am so glad this was posted the only one I had ever see was Lindsay Lohans and it is god awful ugly and yours is cute. Off to learn more about shiny cell phones.
34.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Bling Me Out this place seems okay too. Though I wonder how diffrent are these kits then hitting the craft store? I have bought Swarovski crystals there before and the E600 glue....is there some sort of super special applicator that gets included? I was thinking an orange stick would work.

SwarovskiColorChart.jpg

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Oh mara, you crack me up!!!
9.gif
I will admit you did a fantastic job! It''s not really my thing, but then again I hate talking on the phone and especially hate cell phones ( even though that''s all I have, don''t have a house phone), so maybe that''s why I never wanted to "bling" mine out! But I am very impressed, looks very cute! And a great weekend project!

Hmmm, now I''m looking around my house for something to bling.....
11.gif
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know if I tried to do it, I would mess mine up. Then what??? It must take a lot of patience to do, that''s for sure.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I was able to find soem ebay auctions where they came a shapes already...I was thinking it would be fun for my little sisters sunglasses and what not. We love to do craft projects. She walked in and "Oh is she a princess? I bet her Daddy must loves her a lot to let her do that to something so expensive." (She was very impressed with the neat lines btw) I am sure when our father gets home tonight he will be asked if she can do that the phone in her room.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Mara, it looks great. What a fun project
36.gif

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2005 6:43:13 PM
Author: Matatora
Bling Me Out this place seems okay too. Though I wonder how diffrent are these kits then hitting the craft store? I have bought Swarovski crystals there before and the E600 glue....is there some sort of super special applicator that gets included? I was thinking an orange stick would work.

ohhhh my birthstone is amethyst. I wonder how my phone would look with the light and dark amethst....Mara how long did it take?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think she did the back of it yesterday and did the front today. It has to rest/cure for a day to make sure all the glue dries, etc...

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2005 4:34:46 PM
Author:Mara

Well it''s not a ring, but I didn''t know where to put it so it''s here for now!

2.gif

Well it may not be a ring, but it rings....
3.gif
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Cute! ...but that won't last a minute knocking around in my gigunda bag b/c I am a messy slob who doesn't take care of anything LOL...For work, when I go to court I have to take my phone out and show it to the officer (there are no camera phones allowed and I"ve been to lazy to get a speed pass)....Well, I would love to see the look on their faces when I bust that bling out LOL...

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
LMAO!!!!
9.gif

Bling Bling to the Max!!!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I think by the time I finished putting all those little crystals on my phone, I would be cross-eyed with one very large headache!
3.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know Stetch, my eyes just hurt looking at it. Wonder how she dealt with the glue, knowing me my fingers would get stuck together, Lol!!!!!
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I used Bling My Ring from eBay...I have to look up the auction. I asked a few Q''s and they responded quickly. I ordered by BIN on Sunday and got it on a Wed/Thurs.

I checked out a bunch of online places, and also called around locally. I was looking for real Swarovski crystals, I have heard that the rhinestones don''t sparkle the same way. Locally a bag of 30 Swarovskis was something like $4.00 each. So I figured for the 600 to do my phone it would be what...much more than $40! So I found the eBay auctions, there were two I was considering...both of them looked good.

I didn''t want to use the peel and stick since I have heard those don''t work at all and fall off. My girlfriend had hers done professionally a year or so ago and the crystals rarely if ever fell off and she uses her phone all day long!!! But she''s pretty careful with it. No more knockin'' the phone around in my purse for me either, I am going to get a small felt bag or something to keep it in since from what I can tell the crystals are on there pretty well but if you throw it in the bag with all your other stuff the way I used to, I am sure that they would come off.

I used the E6000 industrial strength since that is what all the auctions and even the online kits for double the price sold as well. So figured it was worth a try. Again this was the ''trial phone'' and I am REALLY pleased with it! It looks awesome. Basically I did one crystal at a time (if I put enough glue for 3 at a time like the directions noted, it was too ''gluey'' for me) but it still got a bit messy on the phone at times. If you look at it up close in the right light you can see areas where I put too much glue here and there. It was definitely tedious. But I went slowly..and had a method...dab of glue, crystal, dab of glue, crystal. Used ''craft sticks'' which were basically like orange sticks but if I did it again I think I would use a toothpick to get a finer dab of glue...these were blunt sticks and sometimes left too big of a glue mark.

The funniest thing is that while I love crafts and am good at some stuff, I can''t even cut a straight line with a pair of scissors or anything ''symmetrical'' so I was really worried that I would do this and screw it up and end up being stuck with some Frankencrystal cell phone that looked ridiculous. Then I''d be forced to get a new one! But it was not as hard as I thought it would be at all. It was actually alot of fun and I was pretty excited to see the finished product.

The best part is that even if a few fall off I have all the stuff to fix it, as opposed to if I got it done professionally....! Though maybe they give a touch-up kit, who knows! I did show it to my friend who had hers done and she was impressed. Heehee!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh actually I used the Bling Bling Spot...here is the eBay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Bling-Bling-Spot_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

This is the other one I considered, Bling Your Ring. But it was about $10 more so I tried the other one instead:

http://stores.ebay.com/Bling-your-Ring-With-Swarovski_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

Speaking on the light amethyst, my girlfriend said she thought that one looked really pretty...I guess she saw it somewhere. I did consider that one but I adore light blues, so I had to go that route!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results