shape
carat
color
clarity

Black spots on Plat? Looking for opinions/advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think an independent appraiser is a good idea, and I think she mentioned she already has that lined up.

I think it's quite strange that there are people on this thread saying it's time for a refund when the only "problem" disclosed here is that a bench left traces of polishing compound. Really??? The ring has been remade once to have stronger prongs. So exactly what is the problem here?

DS, I mentioned that there were issues with the prongs in the first version of this ring, however, that is not how the remake was initiated. The jeweler stated at the time that the issue was most likely metal failure. I am actually still waiting to hear back which one exactly was it because I never got a concrete answer.

I also mentioned that this is not the only issue that I am seeing with this setting.

Lastly, if the black spots are not polishing compound, but something else, then I do consider that I would have a reason for concern. And frankly, I am disappointed that I even need to deal with polishing compound as well considering the cost of the setting. How difficult is to deliver a clean product and requested design, especially after there have been issues before?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say don’t borrow trouble. If it is polishing compound, an ultrasonic or professional cleaning should remove it. First things first.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first setting is irrelevant, regardless of what caused the loose prong (although metal failure sounds far fetched to me). The ringmaker remade the ring which was the right thing to do and all anyone could expect. So there is no reason to expect any structural issues with this one since it was remade with sturdier prongs.

Simone, I have always liked you and was so excited to see your ring because it was a design I really liked and was/am considering (but not with 3 prongs). But honestly, you just got this new ring and this thread really makes it look like you are just grabbing at straws for a reason to return it. I am sorry, but I just need to be honest and tell you that's how this sounds.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
“I also mentioned that this is not the only issue that I am seeing with this setting.”

When you say “this setting” do you mean you are having several issues with the new ring you just received?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first setting is irrelevant, regardless of what caused the loose prong (although metal failure sounds far fetched to me). The ringmaker remade the ring which was the right thing to do and all anyone could expect. So there is no reason to expect any structural issues with this one since it was remade with sturdier prongs.

Simone, I have always liked you and was so excited to see your ring because it was a design I really liked and was/am considering (but not with 3 prongs). But honestly, you just got this new ring and this thread really makes it look like you are just grabbing at straws for a reason to return it. I am sorry, but I just need to be honest and tell you that's how this sounds.

DS, I wouldn’t call the first setting irrelevant, but we don’t have to discuss that now. Metal failure was the suggested by the jeweler, not me.

I have always liked you, too and I think that many times we are on the same page, although there is nothing wrong with having different opinions. Nonetheless, I do find your last comment offensive. I posted this thread looking for advice on black spots that I saw all over my so called new ring because I didn’t/don’t know what they are. I didn’t post looking for advice to return or not the ring. I have been pretty vocal about my dissatisfaction with my first ring and now second because I do not think it is normal for a stone to completely loosen up in its prongs after 6 months of wear, nor for a ring to be delivered with “black spots” whatever they are. If this had been a different jeweler, I think that your opinion might have been different.

If you have additional input regarding the actual issue at hand, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, I would appreciate it if you please don’t question my character.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“I also mentioned that this is not the only issue that I am seeing with this setting.”

When you say “this setting” do you mean you are having several issues with the new ring you just received?

The other issues are design related, this is the one of greater concern at this time.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DS - the emphasized text above makes me VERY uncomfortable. It's a personal attack. When someone comes on to the forum and is clearly upset because there is an issue with their ring that they are trying to articulate to us, I think that we should try to assist the OP by keeping our replies as pragmatic as possible. Propose solutions, options, advise on next steps to take, etc., regardless of how we feel about that person off the boards.

If you only knew how I REALLY feel about OP in real life, you'd :appl: me for being level headed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simone, I do apologise, as it really was some other posts making very premature recommendations when no real issues had been mentioned that made me scratch my head. So if your true intent is to just be sure this new setting is structurally sound and then keep and love it, I am truly and sincerely sorry if I thought otherwise.

So, in the spirit of actually answering your question, I'd try soaking it hot water and Dawn for several hours. Overnight would be good, although you obviously wouldn't be able to reheat the water! Then after a last soaking in hot water, get a very soft baby toothbrush or watercolor brush, and brush the areas where you see the specs. That's the safest way to clean it without scratching the metal.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Liking @SimoneDi is the truly irrelevant part here. This thread is about her ring that she is having multiple issues with. Your assumption of the bench leaving polishing compound is just that - an assumption. And until she receives confirmation from an independent appraiser (which is what many of recommended she do), I think she has every right to be concerned! Furthermore, if she's having so many issues with her rings involving the metal/structural integrity, design, finish, etc., why should she be forced to keep working with the same vendor if they are not on the same page? Sometimes it's best to just cut ties and move on. It's too stressful to force something if it's just.not.working. Hopefully you could understand Simone's POV here as a customer and a rightfully picky PSer, just as we would be with our own pieces, regardless of who the jeweler is.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PintoBean I will refer you to my post above to Simone. I am not really understanding you regarding the "off the boards comment", but other than that, I think I hopefully rephrased my thoughts in a better way to her.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Liking @SimoneDi is the truly irrelevant part here. This thread is about her ring that she is having multiple issues with. Your assumption of the bench leaving polishing compound is just that - an assumption. And until she receives confirmation from an independent appraiser (which is what many of recommended she do), I think she has every right to be concerned! Furthermore, if she's having so many issues with her rings involving the metal/structural integrity, design, finish, etc., why should she be forced to keep working with the same vendor if they are not on the same page? Sometimes it's best to just cut ties and move on. It's too stressful to force something if it's just.not.working. Hopefully you could understand Simone's POV here as a customer and a rightfully picky PSer, just as we would be with our own pieces, regardless of who the jeweler is.

I’m so confused. I feel like there is double speak here.

To clarify, what are the issues with this new, second ring specifically?

1) probably polishing compound

What are the other issues with this new second ring?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so confused. I feel like there is double speak here.

To clarify, what are the issues with this new, second ring specifically?

1) probably polishing compound

What are the other issues with this new second ring?

Read her response to you just a few minutes ago
The other issues are design related, this is the one of greater concern at this time.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don’t think that’s how it sounds. I think it sounds like someone who was disappointed once and is now very cautious. I don’t blame her at all. Especially when fans like you highly recommend Caysie, even after she was banned from ps. Meaning that they really expected greatness from her if a beloved poster like you can go out on a limb and recommend her. No surprise then that they are quite disappointed when that vendor fails and makes them struggle to rectify things. How many of these threads on this vendor have we read recently? I think that because you are highly respected on this forum, your enthusiasm for this vendor is starting to become a dangerous bias for newbies. Sorry but that is how I see it. Especially when this vendor was banned for issues relating to her character. Character comes into play when things get ugly between customers and vendors and that is what the issue seems to be.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Read her response to you just a few minutes ago

I did and I still do not understand what ring she is referring to. The first one or the new one.

The new ring has structural issues?? What is happening now?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As whitewave just said, I have yet to hear any specific issues with the new ring. Even Bryan from WF came on this thread and said the specs are likely polishing compound. That's where I am not understanding. So I will wait to hear what the independent appraiser says. Then if he or she says there are structural problems on the second ring that cannot be repaired, I'll certainly be sympathetic to Simone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess the inference is that the new ring has structural issues as well, and that Simone has been reluctant to name them. I have no idea.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t contacted the vendor yet about this because I wasn’t sure what is it. I did contact the vendor about other issues with this setting that I am seeing. The vendor first rejected them as valid and I am yet to receive a response on my last email.

@PintoBean @ac117 I appreciate the suggestions. Without going into too much detail, I tried that route even the first time around because I had lost all confidence in the vendor being able to execute a satisfactory product. The vendor insisted on a remake and now I have this. Fun.

I am suggesting a refund based on these two previous statements, not just based on a polishing compound issue. Sometimes client and vendors/benches aren't just a good match and a vendor should be able to rectify it or cut their losses and perhaps not make the same style setting that they cannot execute to a client's satisfaction. Again, at what point should a refund be made/offered if it seems like it isn't going to come to a good match of expectations and quality of product?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PintoBean I will refer you to my post above to Simone. I am not really understanding you regarding the "off the boards comment", but other than that, I think I hopefully rephrased my thoughts in a better way to her.
I mean by "off the boards... " how we really feel about them outside of PS.

oldworlddiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi @SimoneDi, as you know we finished your ring for our partner (setting the stones and polishing). That "black stuff" is just polishing compound caught between the diamond and platinum. If you loupe that area you"ll see that it looks like a tiny piece of burnt debris. You can use a can of compressed air (to blow it out) or a soft brush with dish soap and it will fall right off. I apologize for not having seen it before sending it off to you. We did not design the ring and only set the stones and polished it as a favor to the designer to expedite it and get it finished quickly for you since we knew you would be in NYC. I'm happy to email you an overnight Fedex label (fully insured) so that you can send it back and we will have it professionally cleaned and re-polished. Let me know and we will send the shipping label right away.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It truly sounded like Simone was getting worked up and people were jumping on the likely polishing compound spots. It did come across as super OTT.

Like she and others want her to get a refund because the second perfectly fine ring has remnant polish compound. This is silly.

But, if the second ring has verifiable structural issues, then I think everyone is sympathetic.

It is very unclear what the problem is/problems are with the new ring. You really can’t blame people for not understanding this. I am very poor at interpreting innuendo.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @SimoneDi, as you know we finished your ring for our partner (setting the stones and polishing). That "black stuff" is just polishing compound caught between the diamond and platinum. If you loupe that area you"ll see that it looks like a tiny piece of burnt debris. You can use a can of compressed air (to blow it out) or a soft brush with dish soap and it will fall right off. I apologize for not having seen it before sending it off to you. We did not design the ring and only set the stones and polished it as a favor to the designer to expedite it and get it finished quickly for you since we knew you would be in NYC. I'm happy to email you an overnight Fedex label (fully insured) so that you can send it back and we will have it professionally cleaned and re-polished. Let me know and we will send the shipping label right away.
A very kind and client-focused response. Thank you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw Adam’s response and I’m more befuddled than ever.

Surely both Adam and Caysie didn’t send off a new ring with structural issues!!!

So we are back to people think she should get a refund because there is remnant polish compound?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, OP I truly hope that your issue(s) are able to be quickly and easily resolved and you are able to fall in love with your ring.

Secondly, I am seeing recent threads where there have been pretty serious issues with this specific vendor. I had recently contacted her about making a wedding band to go with my solitaire since this vendor made the setting. Now I am wondering if it might not be a good idea as it seems I could run a larger chance of dealing with missed timelines, lack of communication, design flaws, structural issues, and now QC problems (all legit complaints I have read about this vender lately). It makes me nervous to think about it, to be honest.
You could create a contract with penalties for blowing deadlines unless you agree to a change order that extends the deadline.

Put a term in where you'll pay for an independent appraisal but if the appraiser finds a design defect the vendor reimburses you for the appraisal cost and you have the option to get a full refund or a remake.

Etc.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw Adam’s response and I’m more befuddled than ever.

Surely both Adam and Caysie didn’t send off a new ring with structural issues!!!

So we are back to people think she should get a refund because there is remnant polish compound?
It sounds like she's keeping it vague until there is more back and forth between OP and vendor that hopefully heads in the direction of a resolution.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could create a contract with penalties for blowing deadlines unless you agree to a change order that extends the deadline.

Put a term in where you'll pay for an independent appraisal but if the appraiser finds a design defect the vendor reimburses you for the appraisal cost and you have the option to get a full refund or a remake.

Etc.
Thank you! Good ideas. And sorry for deleting my post. I just didn’t want to muddy the waters and go off topic. I appreciate your advice!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like she's keeping it vague until there is more back and forth between OP and vendor that hopefully heads in the direction of a resolution.

Then I would say an independent appraiser is the next step.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, that was so nice of Adam!

@nala...Truly, my jewelry from Caysie is outstanding and speaks for itself. Newbies are welcome to judge based on that.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi @oldworlddiamonds! Thanks for your response and assurance that the “black stuff” is just polishing compound. I really appreciate your input as this is something new for me see. I am aware that you did not design the ring and simply set in the stones and I am very appreciative of your assistance with this matter and your lightning fast turnaround. I have only positive things to say about your team. I will try again to clean it myself or visit a local jeweler and if I am still unable to clean it, I might accept your offer to ship, clean and polish the ring. Thanks again!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Good ideas. And sorry for deleting my post. I just didn’t want to muddy the waters and go off topic. I appreciate your advice!
Or just use a different jeweler. I did three items with Caysie and I would never use her again or recommend her. If you like her designs, perhaps you can have Old World Diamonds create the band? They are very pleasant to communicate with and were able to complete a ring that initially took 3 months to “make” in a week.

oldworlddiamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi @oldworlddiamonds! Thanks for your response and assurance that the “black stuff” is just polishing compound. I really appreciate your input as this is something new for me see. I am aware that you did not design the ring and simply set in the stones and I am very appreciative of your assistance with this matter and your lightning fast turnaround. I have only positive things to say about your team. I will try again to clean it myself or visit a local jeweler and if I am still unable to clean it, I might accept your offer to ship, clean and polish the ring. Thanks again!

My pleasure. Again, I am happy to have it cleaned for you and we'll pay for shipping in both directions and have it back on your finger in 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results