shape
carat
color
clarity

Binge watching Bridgerton on Netflix. Anyone else?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read posts on this thread after posting mine...and I must say I’m in total agreement with everything you said! WW1984 was a major let down! It was narratively messy and just overall disappointing. The first 4 minutes were entertaining but went downhill from there on.

As for the sex scenes in Bridgerton, some of them, if not all, were wholly unnecessary. They’re shown explicitly that my partner called it
”soft ****,” lol. Not a prude either but I like it when it‘s just implied. That to me is more romantic...but I thoroughly enjoyed the series that I’m presently watching it — again :lol:

I agree with you about WW1984. The first few minutes when she was a young girl was the best part of the movie. Also, I just don’t like Gal Gadot as an actress. I don’t think she acts very well and her voice is so deep. She is gorgeous though.

Anyway, back to our soft ****, err Bridgerton show!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too hope they make other series as my favourite book is about Hyacinth, which is the 7th book.

See, now I must read the books! I had no idea there were so many!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m enjoying the series too, I think the show is is like Downtown Abbey crossed with Gossip Girl :lol::lol::lol:.
I’m loving the decadent gowns and jewels!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
You might like The Great which is on Hulu in the US. Also a period drama but based on Catherine the great of Russia. Very sharp and witty writing and lots of lady-in-court type drama but also politics and war!

Loved The Great!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished the season. I really enjoyed it. There’s something awesome about that witty banter...but with a touch of class. :lol: I’m off to buy the books. I usually borrow from our online library but I don’t feel like waiting the 20+ weeks the first book is already on hold for.

I absolutely loved this piece from the last episode:

20201230_144824.jpg

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewels, I must watch this now!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished the season. I really enjoyed it. There’s something awesome about that witty banter...but with a touch of class. :lol: I’m off to buy the books. I usually borrow from our online library but I don’t feel like waiting the 20+ weeks the first book is already on hold for.

I absolutely loved this piece from the last episode:

20201230_144824.jpg

She was in another series too, Tudors I think.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I resisted but finally caved. It was so much fun!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I resisted but finally caved. It was so much fun!!!

This was me!!! The gowns and homes were out of this world!!

cheers--Sharon

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was raunchy and enjoyable. I finished it last night.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Binged it over two nights. Didn’t realize there will be another season. Love these period dramas.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
It was very pretty and fun to watch!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've watched the first three episodes, and I'm not feeling it because I don't think the storylines are very good. There are some young women that need to get married, one is being bothered by a sleazy guy, and there's couple who are probably going to end up together. Re. the sleazy guy (Beaverbrook) I don't think you could force a woman to marry a man even back then, especially when she has a bunch of brothers to protect her! There's a potentially interesting character who is pregnant outside marriage (THE SHOCK!) but she hasn't been given a storyline. It's also not clear why the duke is so determined never to marry.

When I first watched Downton Abbey, I thought it was gripping immediately.

But I do like all the young men cavorting around in jodhpurs, boots, and those cutaway black velvet jackets, though. WOOF WOOF! :lol:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
She was in another series too, Tudors I think.

She played Atia of the Julii in one of my favorite series ever, Rome.
I guess I'll have to check this out. I hope I can enjoy it as the gossip girl in empire waists that it most assuredly will be and not be compulsively clocking every period 'wrong' I see.
I'll go in with an open mind.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just started the second book. Hopefully I'll still be able to watch once I'm done reading

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
She played Atia of the Julii in one of my favorite series ever, Rome.
I guess I'll have to check this out. I hope I can enjoy it as the gossip girl in empire waists that it most assuredly will be and not be compulsively clocking every period 'wrong' I see.
I'll go in with an open mind.

It’s so not period accurate and the plot is pretty thin... but I thought the fanciful set and costume design (and attractive duke) was worth a watch. I had read one of the novels it’s based on a while ago and thought it was pretty lackluster so I didn’t have high expectations.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I did binge this. It's not period accurate, and I think of it as a fantasy reimaging of some elements of Georgian period. There's a lot of eye candy and yes, I do think some of the sex scenes were unnecessary, but maybe they were trying to satisfy romance genre readers who were familiar with the books? I tried out a couple of audiobooks from the series because I was curious whether the books addressed the race issue but no, this is something that seems to be only in the show.

Totally binge-worthy just for a good time, but like The Queen's Gambit, falls short of a masterpiece for me. Will not be watching more than once, but will gladly check out another season if they do produce one.

As for the jewels, they are colorful and dazzling, but just look fake. @elle_71125 lol that's totally your aesthetic, halos and color, but totally flat and modern looking...they're probably CZ if not paste.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also was not dazzled with the flat ness of the jewels, no movement.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just binge-watched the entire season in one day. So addicting, and I was more fascinated with the empire waist gowns than the jewelry. It was fun, and easy to watch, especially after binge watching The Crown last weekend. Now that I know there are books about every sibling, I will be seeking the books out and binge-reading this smut!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I just binge-watched the entire season in one day. So addicting, and I was more fascinated with the empire waist gowns than the jewelry. It was fun, and easy to watch, especially after binge watching The Crown last weekend. Now that I know there are books about every sibling, I will be seeking the books out and binge-reading this smut!

Oh my goodness.. those empire waist dresses.. obsessed with them as well.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have to read the second book and tell me what you think.

I loved loved loved it so so so much!!!!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
High empire waistlines are my least favorite. I think they look a) babyish and c) like night gowns! But blessedly more comfortable than the cinched-in waists of what followed, I guess.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
High empire waistlines are my least favorite. I think they look a) babyish and c) like night gowns! But blessedly more comfortable than the cinched-in waists of what followed, I guess.

Comfort is everything! And perfect for hiding baby bumps, which is a huge part of the storyline for 2 characters!

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Just finished the season and loved the eye candy. The dresses! The jewels! The houses! And, the duke.....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was filmed on location in Bath, the nearest city to me, and I love to go there for a number of reasons.

Much nicer than Bristol IMHO.

DK :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else manage to figure out who Whistledown was before the finale reveal?

While I was watching episode 3, I suddenly had the thought of "well I'm rather sure this person is Lady Whistledown, even if I can't entirely else out all other candidates by logic."

My hunch and certainty grew stronger and stronger every episode that followed, so by the time they showed who was under that cloak I was happily vindicated.

I cannot enjoy most mystery books because apart from the ones written by the most exceptional authors, such as J K Rowling and Laurie R King, I generally figure out the culprit or solution 1/3 of the way through the book, and the remaining 2/3 feels like a chore to plod through.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else manage to figure out who Whistledown was before the finale reveal?

While I was watching episode 3, I suddenly had the thought of "well I'm rather sure this person is Lady Whistledown, even if I can't entirely else out all other candidates by logic."

My hunch and certainty grew stronger and stronger every episode that followed, so by the time they showed who was under that cloak I was happily vindicated.

I cannot enjoy most mystery books because apart from the ones written by the most exceptional authors, such as J K Rowling and Laurie R King, I generally figure out the culprit or solution 1/3 of the way through the book, and the remaining 2/3 feels like a chore to plod through.

I figured it out before the reveal as well.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two episodes left. I almost didn’t want to read this thread, but thank you all for not spoiling it. I think I know who Lady Whistledown is, but I’ll likely be wrong. :lol:
I like the series but could do without the gratuitous sex scenes. Just saying... :shifty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results