shape
carat
color
clarity

Biggest size for daily wear?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that I’m already wearing the biggest size that I can feel good about wearing, financially speaking. Lol. It’s a good compromise of the 5 c’s, cost being the fifth. Not that I would ever turn down a 5 carat emerald cut. Lol. But It’s it in the cards right now. It’s not a priority for me. And I don’t wear my ring for anyone but me. Not worried what others will or won’t say. And trust me, most won’t say much and those that do, are usually secret bling lovers like us. My ring is a 2.52 I round in a halo. Loud. Love it.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
My diamond e-ring is 7.6mm and I've never been uncomfortable wearing it except when I went to Nicaragua this year, I left it at home. I wore a ring I paid 6 dollars for on Amazon. The funny thing is hubby still wears his $10 tungsten ring everyday, and the platinum one stays in the safe now that we've been home for 8 months.

I got my sapphire ring in my avatar that I currently am wearing instead much of my diamond last week. Most people have been surprised I would wear it instead of the diamond. Where I live, no one wears a CS e-ring unless it's an issue about finances and not affording a diamond. They then would get a cz. So really, no one wears a CS. I guess anyone who doesn't know me will assume I'm single and who knows what they think it's worth. I'm sure not as much as the diamond. Those that really know me and my love for gems still don't know what it is at first glance, but ask what's so special about it that it has replaced the diamond. Funny enough, I love that. It makes me smile every time I look at it and I really dont care what other people think.

As for safety, I have a concealed carry permit so I am never really scared.:whistle:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my 9 mm OEC on a 4.5 finger 6/7 days of the week. I am a jewelry wearer, less of a collector. Although VCA is making me change that.

But I don't buy jewelry unless I can wear it daily, at work, at home, running errands, etc.

I think what a person feels comfortable wearing varies by individual. Some people like to stay within a comfortable range of their social circle. Some people don't care. I fall into the later group. I am the only one at my office that blings it up. My co-workers have gotten used to seeing me with bling. They accept that is just who I am. They mostly sport smaller stones or none at all. They actually are more drawn toward my VCA pieces.

Among family and friends, I am the only one wearing a big ering. Most of them don't even wear an ering. They can think what they want. I just don't care. Not my problem.

When I am dressed up, I am non-torn jeans and t-shirts, but in shorts, or workout clothes whenever I can get away with it. I live in northern CA so you see all kinds of erings in all sizes.

If I am in an environment that isn't as safe, I just turn it around.

I love my ring. I hide it under the table and rock it around and watch it fire up. I stare at it in my workout class (won't damage it) and it distracts me while my thighs scream in pain. I'm gonna wear it. I'm too old not to take joy where I can find it.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i only take public transit when I travel and I always wear modest jewelry. My current fave is a 6mm OEC (center) three stone for that purpose. I do turn it around when it’s after dark or I’m alone but I feel it blends well and provides nice bling.

The first person that asked to see my new 3ct was my boss and I did feel embarrassed when I flashed it at her. It was straight out of the box and it felt like I was wearing a sky scraper on my hand. I’m over that now and I wear it daily unless I’m cooking, cleaning or at the gym.

I don’t really care what anyone thinks about the size. I’m happy and that’s what matters.

The safety issue does cncern me after some creep followed me out of the Louis Vuitton store and broke into my car several miles away. I am much more cognizant that people with negative motives may be more aware of what they perceive as an easy target/high reward situation.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG i want to see this collection

Ha! Not that impressive but I’ve spent way to much in the last year (thanks, PS!) so my collection is where it will stay. And the original ering stone is back in its original home in a cocktail ring. Thankfully, my husband doesn’t care if I wear a diamond, moissanite, colored stone or just a plain gold band. He figures it’s better that I switch jewels than husbands!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my near-3ct diamond solitaire and 1.3tcw diamond studs are my "every day that I leave the house" jewels. Working from home I don't always put them on, but probably 6 out of 7 days. The ring is insured, so I want to wear it all the time!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After joining PS I started wearing my inherited « big » diamonds (2.5ct each) and buying more. It made me very happy so I would show them to my CLOSE friends...not show them off, but show and talk about cuts and angles and such.
Then one day i was at a Christmas party. A woman came up to me and said -oh yes, you are the one who can’t get enough big fat diamonds-.
Since I had only told my two best friends, i knew one of them was talking about me, and actually, soon after that my long time supposedly closest friend dropped me because she felt I was acting “privileged”.
You can say she wasn't a friend to begin with, but still, a little insight for me about what can go on behind the scenes while friends are playing nice. Lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After joining PS I started wearing my inherited « big » diamonds (2.5ct each) and buying more. It made me very happy so I would show them to my CLOSE friends...not show them off, but show and talk about cuts and angles and such.
Then one day i was at a Christmas party. A woman came up to me and said -oh yes, you are the one who can’t get enough big fat diamonds-.
Since I had only told my two best friends, i knew one of them was talking about me, and actually, soon after that my long time supposedly closest friend dropped me because she felt I was acting “privileged”.
You can say she wasn't a friend to begin with, but still, a little insight for me about what can go on behind the scenes while friends are playing nice. Lol

I remember this story @Jimmianne and I am sorry you went through that. A betrayal where you thought someone was a friend but turned out they really weren't and maybe never was a real friend to you. And it hurts. My opinion is this (though I am sure I have shared these thoughts with you before they are worth repeating I feel) ...they did you a favor and better now than continuing the charade. I thought I was too old and experienced to get fooled like that at this stage of my life but turned out I was wrong and just last year I got fooled by not one but two people I thought were friends... though truth be told I realized one of these women was not who she portrayed herself to be far before the you know what hit the proverbial fan as I am (usually) very intuitive. But I stayed in the friendship because it wasn't just me but a few people. Well color me shocked when the second woman turned out to be (almost? Did I ever really know who she was?) as fake as the first. Wow. So I guess we are always learning and experiencing and becoming wiser as time goes on. And while it hurts at the time I'd rather know the truth than continue to be fooled by people who aren't worth my time and energy and love. Yanno?

You are a dear person. Kind hearted and warm and empathetic and generous. Small minded petty and scheming individuals are not worth your time and love and energy. Surround yourself with people who are and consider yourself lucky to see clearly who is not. (((HUGS))).

And I say BLING it ON. Diamonds are sparkly and beautiful and bring joy to us. And hey if they separate the true friends from the "fake" friends or frenemies more power to those diamonds. Yet another brilliant and/or chunkalcious ( depending on your flavor haha) use for them.:lol::appl:

dontletanyonedullyoursparkle.gif

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, your post says a lot about you. You are a wonderful and true friend!
Sparkle on...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are many variables, many mentioned above...location, social status, daily wear/style, country, etc. Just to add to the mix, carriage and confidence often are noticed before your bling. If you have both the carriage and confidence, any size will work and really your bling is often not really noticed. If you are shy or feel your bling is at risk from your environment, it shows and you really draw more attention. So, attitude is really key.

While I have larger hands, I'm very sensitive to the height of the ring/setting off my hands. I slice through gloves and worry about contacting animals. So, all else being equal, around 2.5 carats in an RBC would be my limit for a daily ring. My mom has pretty average size 6.5 or 7 fingers and I've yet to see that she has a limit.:lol-2: The only time she strips down to her bands is when she is on duty as a chaplain at emergency situations.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose that most of those wearing 9 mm diamonds don’t take public transit, but ...
If you were a more or less “regular” person but could get any diamond solitaire size
[...]
Do I really want my friends secretly wondering if I have any priorities at all
I loathe the train... tolerate flying when absolutely necessary. I always prefer to drive myself. “My” vehicle is a ten year old Vibe with manual transmission. About as not-sexy as cars get... but it’s comfortable, and low-maintenance despite the mileage, and has fabulous speakers. The radio volume knob has been unusable for over a year because I object on principle to paying as much as everyone seems to want to fix or replace the thing.

Am I a “regular” person?

I can remember the last time I worked less than sixty hours per week, or didn’t spend at least one of my two weekend days working. It’s not the hardship that it might sound like - I love my job, my team, and my company, and I’m fairly compensated. I’ve been... sometimes teased, sometimes accused of being married to my work. The “life” portion of work/life balance has always suffered - I am only very recently learning to prioritize it as both urgent and important, not just important.

Am I a “regular” person?

I have seven furbabies I would happily jump in front of a bus for... I’m well aware they wouldn’t dream of doing the same for me :mrgreen2: their health and welfare is my priority. There is truth to the assertion that being able to take care of them without financial hardship is a luxury. I chose vinyl flooring over tile or hardwood, and I have no furniture I’m not willing to subject to abuse from claws and messes... I’ve learnt to just live with the fur as added insulation.

Am I a “regular” person?

I happen to have a 10mm diamond ring and 9mm diamond studs.

Am I not a “regular” person?

As @LaylaR already said very well IMO - PSers are, for the most part, more interested in appreciation of craft and value for money than anything else. Our specifics of ‘value’ and ‘how much money’ might differ, but philosophically... you (most happily!!) don’t find too many people buying status symbols for the sake of owning and flaunting status symbols on here. What “regular” is, and what priorities “should be” are such contextual questions... and that context can change so dramatically both between different people and between different points in time for the same person...

Maybe one day you’ll decide to indulge in a 9mm diamond just because you want to and you can, justifications to others and ROI calculations and whatever else be damned. Maybe you won’t. No rights or wrongs - and on here, at least, no judgment ::)

To actually answer the questions - my solitaire spends most of its time at the bank. I wear my studs regularly.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loathe the train... tolerate flying when absolutely necessary. I always prefer to drive myself. “My” vehicle is a ten year old Vibe with manual transmission. About as not-sexy as cars get... but it’s comfortable, and low-maintenance despite the mileage, and has fabulous speakers. The radio volume knob has been unusable for over a year because I object on principle to paying as much as everyone seems to want to fix or replace the thing.

Am I a “regular” person?

I can remember the last time I worked less than sixty hours per week, or didn’t spend at least one of my two weekend days working. It’s not the hardship that it might sound like - I love my job, my team, and my company, and I’m fairly compensated. I’ve been... sometimes teased, sometimes accused of being married to my work. The “life” portion of work/life balance has always suffered - I am only very recently learning to prioritize it as both urgent and important, not just important.

Am I a “regular” person?

I have seven furbabies I would happily jump in front of a bus for... I’m well aware they wouldn’t dream of doing the same for me :mrgreen2: their health and welfare is my priority. There is truth to the assertion that being able to take care of them without financial hardship is a luxury. I chose vinyl flooring over tile or hardwood, and I have no furniture I’m not willing to subject to abuse from claws and messes... I’ve learnt to just live with the fur as added insulation.

Am I a “regular” person?

I happen to have a 10mm diamond ring and 9mm diamond studs.

Am I not a “regular” person?

As @LaylaR already said very well IMO - PSers are, for the most part, more interested in appreciation of craft and value for money than anything else. Our specifics of ‘value’ and ‘how much money’ might differ, but philosophically... you (most happily!!) don’t find too many people buying status symbols for the sake of owning and flaunting status symbols on here. What “regular” is, and what priorities “should be” are such contextual questions... and that context can change so dramatically both between different people and between different points in time for the same person...

Maybe one day you’ll decide to indulge in a 9mm diamond just because you want to and you can, justifications to others and ROI calculations and whatever else be damned. Maybe you won’t. No rights or wrongs - and on here, at least, no judgment ::)

To actually answer the questions - my solitaire spends most of its time at the bank. I wear my studs regularly.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry @Jimmianne I guess that person didn’t really know or understand you. Unfortunately that doesn’t always reveal itself right away. Sounds trite but you’re better off now with one less fake person in your life. (((Hug)))

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had my 3 carat for over a year now and while I do love my diamond, I am embarrassed by its size sometimes. I think it is big enough that I will never want to upgrade it but sometimes it’s just too big.
I notice in my social circle no one has a larger solitaire. I have rarely even seen anything that looks bigger than one carat and many of them have been diamond halo settings. I also think it doesn’t help that I have a metal silhouette around my diamond so it looks even bigger than it really is.
I’ll probably go back to a simple solitaire eventually.
It’s weird bc I wanted a 3 carat and now that I have one I don’t wear it as much as I thought I would.
Oh! So to answer your question. I would say the largest would be around 9 mm for me on a daily basis.

Last edited:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry @Jimmianne I guess that person didn’t really know or understand you. Unfortunately that doesn’t always reveal itself right away. Sounds trite but you’re better off now with one less fake person in your life. (((Hug)))
Thanks, LLJs. It seemed to me an example of people talking behind your back when
you wear large diamomds. I’m sure it doesn't happen all the time, but I do think people notice our bling, even if they don't say anything to us.
Meanwhile...sparkle on!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me I think there's a distinction between safety, practicality and image. I basically feel safe most of the time. If I'm not going to be somewhere familiar/known I'll leave my rings as at home and just wear a band. Practical is when I'm loading 4 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats in to the car with everybody's equipment/stuff - my 1 ctw there. Image is guess is when I'm reaching out to receive 1 of 3 bids from contractors OR when I'm visiting locals in Africa, which I've done twice. My $30K ring can feel obnoxious to me in either of those VERY different situations.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I sure do have a jeweled (so to speak) reputation - on account of which my usual not wearing anything sometimes gets me asked 'where's the Treasure'. Odd. Fun.

My jewelry has always been too unusual for almost anyone to know its worth. I need some new things, and intend them in my style, of course. I've got told a few times already: (approx) 'you'll always get what you want - since no one else wants what you do!' Yes... So it is.

Last edited:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I may already be at the max I would feel comfortable wearing.
My original size 4.25 ering is a 8 x 13 mm F-SI1 pear.
I also have a size 4.5 9mm F-VS1 CBI.
However, I do have 9.5, 10.0, and 10.5mm loose CZs ... hubby said 10.5 didn't look too bad :lol-2: hmmm, can't really justify another diamond.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would LOVE a 9mm OEC but I think I would feel quite self conscious wearing a stone that large at work or in my social group as I’ve already got one of the bigger stones of the people I usually see.
But if money was no object, yeah, a big crisply white OEC or a very faintly brown one would be my ideal.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting thread! I have given this some thought. In my area (and country) women rarely even wear solitaires, and if they do, less than 0.3 ct. Half a carat is considered huge. I am seriously considering buying bling and only wear it at home and not showing it to anyone else but myself and my very understanding husband (and absolutely closest family). I work from home quite a lot so it could make sense in a *cost-by-wear* reasoning. This thread makes me think though, what pressure am I under when not at home... Disregarding robbery etc. People rarely comment in my jewelry, but I have got some wierd comments that left me stunned and with the feeling that I should perhaps wear less bling in some social circles. "Is that supposed to look like a diamond?" Ehhh well I guess so because it *is*.
o_O

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I live in NYC, and I take subway or walk as much as I can. I wear two rings, one on each hand - I feel naked without some weight on my hands. One is a besutiful blue sapphire and the other is a 4ct looking asscher with two size 1ct diamonds. However, I see 10ct+ size rings on some commuters’ fingers every week!

Besides, I don’t think anyone wants to be bunched by my hand with the 5ct diamonds. It must hurt badly. :loopy:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Image is guess is when I'm reaching out to receive 1 of 3 bids from contractors OR when I'm visiting locals in Africa, which I've done twice. My $30K ring can feel obnoxious to me in either of those VERY different situations.
I can't remember now who related it to me or where I read it, but I recall a story that a chap in the oil(?) industry went to work in [insert developing-world African-continent country here - possibly Nigeria?] a while ago now and rolled off the plane wearing a Rolex of some kind.

His first thought was 'why should I change what I wear?'... but his mind was changed when the locals pointed out that robbers wouldn't ask nicely for his watch, they'd just machete his arm off... :shock:

The watch lived in the safe for the rest of his extended stay... :lol:

bksquirrel

Rough_Rock
I live in NYC and definitely don’t feel uncomfortable with around a 2 carat solitaire ever. And I notice women with gorgeous pieces on the subway all the time and it never seems like an unsafe situation.

I also work in criminal defense. Can honestly say I have never once had an engagement ring or diamond jewelry based crime in five years of practice in NYC. The only jewelry crime I’ve ever seen are kids yanking chains off one another. Usually the chains aren’t even valuable.

I think this is an issue that is more perceived in your head than realistic. You’re far more likely to have your iPhone snatched out of your hand on the subway than anyone focusing on your ring or targeting you for wearing a ring.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That’s my biggest fear with my friends. I’m the only one out of the four of us that loves jewelry...I try so hard to blend in by not wearing certain jewelry when I’m with them. Now we’re thinking that when my car needs a major repair I will need a new one. I will base my choice of car by what won’t seem “privileged” to them. My husband shakes his head and said I shouldn’t worry about it..that friends won’t make a judgement about me but I know that’s not true. I’m sorry that happened to you Jimmiane..

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not worried my friends will judge me so much as I know some of my friends have money stress and I don’t want to want to be insensitive by flashing too much bling. That’s why being a colored stone junkie is nice. Most folk don’t know how much tsavorite or pad sapphires or red spinel cost so I can wear those treasures pretty much under the radar lol.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m not worried my friends will judge me so much as I know some of my friends have money stress and I don’t want to want to be insensitive by flashing too much bling. That’s why being a colored stone junkie is nice. Most folk don’t know how much tsavorite or pad sapphires cost so I can wear those treasures pretty much under the radar lol.
You have a Pad??? I would LOVE one. Do you have a thread or photo of it?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s my biggest fear with my friends. I’m the only one out of the four of us that loves jewelry...I try so hard to blend in by not wearing certain jewelry when I’m with them. Now we’re thinking that when my car needs a major repair I will need a new one. I will base my choice of car by what won’t seem “privileged” to them. My husband shakes his head and said I shouldn’t worry about it..that friends won’t make a judgement about me but I know that’s not true. I’m sorry that happened to you Jimmiane..
@Mamabean true friends wouldn’t judge you. Or you should just ignore it. If you want to continue being friends with them, maybe you will just need to accept that they will judge but not let that deter you from doing what you want, which is WEAR your gorgeous bling. I think some of my friends do judge me. I don’t care. Just don’t say it to my face. I don’t want to hear it. One of my very close girlfriends thinks that I am being materialistic when I spend money on bling. She still loves me and cares about me. But nothing she says or thinks will change what I do. And she’s respectful of me. She doesn’t intrude or tell me her opinions on a regular basis. She just rolls her eyes when she knows I spend time and money looking at and buying bling. That’s fine. I can live with an eye roll. I think she’s crazy for sky diving.
It jut makes me sad you aren’t living authentically around them by repressing your own desires. These are supposed to be your friends.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results