shape
carat
color
clarity

Biggest size for daily wear?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve seen incredible HUGE diamonds in many rings in this forum .... I am nervous wearing a 6.5 mm diamond ring on public transit ...
I suppose that most of those wearing 9 mm diamonds don’t take public transit, but ...
If you were a more or less “regular” person but could get any diamond solitaire size (forgetting color and assuming blinding ideal cut) that you wanted, what would be your max. for basically 24/7 wear?
Would it be based on your social circle, your work environment, and/or personal preferences?
I once noticed that my friend had a new 2 carat solitaire ... guessed it as such while exclaiming admiration, and she immediately hid her hand away.
Does anyone here ever feel embarrassed for their bling level? I would have loved to look at her diamond for awhile longer, lol ... she felt obliged to tell me that her husband just bought a new car for himself, so ....
For myself ... I think that I do limit myself on diamond size based on whether I could wear it all the time (also known as staring at it all the time). For sure I could buy a 3-5 carat (maybe 1.5 - 3 carat for people like me) ideal, but how often would I get to wear/look at it? Do I really want my friends secretly wondering if I have any priorities at all haha? Ok but let’s assume I enjoy the rock immensely ... again, I ask my long question relative to average guy doing ok not rich.
I don’t want to keep it in the safe, that’s for sure.

:dance:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mostly get around using public transport in philly. Have recently been rockin a 2.22 ct RHR. Sometimes I catch people glancing at my bling but I don’t feel unsafe or self conscious since I’m riding mostly during business hours. I may be more cautious if it were later at night.

If I meet someone particularly judgy who’s like “well that must have cost so much” I tell them “oh, my grandma died and left this to me”. Shuts them right up ( and it is true my grandma died recently of expected caused and did leave me a bit of jewelery). How much money I have and how I spend it isn’t their business!

And I imagine if I went into 3-5ct range most people on the bus would assume it’s fake cause why would I also then be riding the bus lol. I also look younger than I am which makes it more likely that people think I’m wearing costume pieces.

So basically I wear as big as I can and want!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I really want my friends secretly wondering if I have any priorities at all haha? Ok but let’s assume I enjoy the rock immensely ... again, I ask my long question relative to average guy doing ok not rich.
I don’t want to keep it in the safe, that’s for sure.
There are higher priorities than diamond? :confused:. I can handle a 3+ ct everyday w/o any problem. :praise:

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Would LOVE PSer thoughts on this. Seeing all the big, beautiful bling, I do wonder how much it gets worn. I'm sure this varies too from person to person...

But I just went home to visit my family and was chatting with them about my ongoing e-ring project. Showing them the video my 1ct diamond, they reacted mentioning how BIG it was. I felt obliged to explain how it's a low color and how I bought it pre-loved so it wasn't super duper expensive... etc. My mother (while very excited for my ring) casually reminded her that HER ring was 0.33ct and my grandma went on about how her ring and her mother's ring were both 0.5cts (and that she bought hers for $90!), all the while showing me the colored stone three stone she had crafted with the two... I guess I can definitely empathize with the weird guilt feeling.

This is in California. The Bay Area. We are solidly middle class... so I suppose it's mostly a social circle thing? I would be lying if I didn't say I have been thinking about whether or not I will turn my 1ct ring inside my hand when I take the bus...

I hope people with bigger rings can chime in!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm always interested in hearing about this too. For reference, you're not the first to ask this question here. ;-) You'll probably find some good info in these threads as well:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/largest-ct-size-for-daily-wear.223732/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-size-solitaire-for-everyday-wear.156179/
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rat-mm-you-find-comfortable-for-daily.219293/

I know that my fiancé has received a few comments about the size of her ring. Not in a negative way. Mostly "Wow, it looks so big on your finger!" types of comments. For reference, her ring is a bezel set solitaire 0.91 carat RB and she wears a size 5 ring.

As others have mentioned, a lot of this comes down to social circle and where in the world you live. In Norway, most people are fairly modest. About 1/2 carat is typical, while you would rarely see rings over 1 carat except on the royal family. When we move back to America, I'm pretty sure there won't be any comments at all on a <1 carat diamond.

Surprisingly, when we go back to visit her family in Vietnam, no-one even notices a ring that small. That's because most women there rock very large, flashy rings with giant CZs. If you're wearing a ring with a center stone under 8mm in diameter, it will fly completely under the radar.

My fiancé doesn't much care about what other people think, but for her, she would never wear a ring much over 1 carat, or anything other than a solitaire bezel-set, because she's studying to be a doctor. Hard to get a nitrile glove over a ring that sits 8mm off the finger with sharp prongs and side stones. :mrgreen:

Finally, something to keep in mind for your own situation is you ring/hand size and your age. Age and finger/hand size makes a big difference as to whether a particular ring will appear tiny/small/large/gaudy on your hand. For example, a 1 carat solitaire will look much different on my 20-something fiancé's size 5 finger and relatively small hand (she's 5'3" and asian) compared to a woman in her 50s with a size 8 finger and large hands.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t have a ‘bigger stone’. In fact, I don’t even have an e-ring any more.

But I DO have my own ring which I got made for me. People mistake her for my ering all the time and I will proudly tell them NOPE. She’s not an ering. I got it myself.

She’s 7.2mm but in an antique paisley halo, which gives up to maybe 9-9.5mm coverage. I do get people exclaiming over it but I will rock it with pride. Of course, she is an OEC and an L colour so not as expensive as what a high colour MRB might cost...

I guess I don’t really care what people think. If they admire my bling, I trust they have good taste lol! I don’t even care if they judge me for buying myself a ring instead of wearing an e-ring. I like my ring. That’s all there really is to it.

For reference I’m in my early 30s. I guess people in my social circle don’t buy themselves rings, but do wear erings typically in the 1-1.5ct range.

ETA: for contrast to the above response... I’m just under 5’3, also Asian with size 4.5 fingers... and I am a doctor I just don’t wear my ring at work (for exactly the reason you mentioned. Gloves!) I’ll wear my studs though!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ETA: for contrast to the above response... I’m just under 5’3, also Asian with size 4.5 fingers... and I am a doctor I just don’t wear my ring at work (for exactly the reason you mentioned. Gloves!) I’ll wear my studs though!

Small world. :) And yes, high-set prong rings are glove murderers haha. My fiancé's ring sits a little over 4.5mm off the finger and she can easily get even tight fitting gloves over the ring (She usually wears S in the Kimberly-Clark nitrile, but even the XS will fit over the ring without tearing). She just got back from an internship in Chicago where a lot of women have larger rings, and a lot of the engaged/married women she worked with were like you. Either they didn't wear their rings to work, or they put them on a chain and wore them as a pendant during working hours. The only time my fiancé takes her ring off is to scrub in for a surgery. Then she puts it on a chain as already mentioned.

She does want to eventually get a RHR with a larger colored stone, which she of course won't wear to work. She really likes the rose gold with a mint green stone combo like the ring in your profile pic. I'll have to show her that when she gets home. :)

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You'd be surprised at the price tags on many of the large rings on here. Many of them are J-K-L... lots of SI2 and even I clarity diamonds Maximizing spread, and sparkle, while saving the pocket book a lot of pain is a talent on PS.

Last year I lost my original engagement ring-- a 1.09 F VS1 in a hand-forged platinum halo setting. The insurance pay-out on that bought me a 8.8mm K. And I do take public transit (BART). There are certain places you couldn't pay me to drive in (most of SF, most of NY, most of DC).

Bigger is not always more expensive. We have many clients who want high color and clarity over size. I a client right now who is considering a 1.8 carat diamond that cost over $10,000 more than the last three 2 carat plus inquiries I've had.

But most people make the assumption that bigger costs more, that is true. So have to be self-aware no matter what the actual value of what you are wearing is. I got robbed 10 years ago. The thieves who broke in took a lot of my gold and colored stones, but they skipped my modest diamonds and took my CZ wedding jewelry instead. Seriously, my diamond was right next to a CZ and they took the CZ! Most criminals wouldn't be able to tell nice CZ's from a real thing. And they'll hurt you for it too if you aren't paying attention and end up in the wrong place. With or without public transportation.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
My daily is a 6.33 carat H, VS with 9.53 ctw. I don’t ever feel unsafe and also recently added 5 carat studs to my daily wear. My studs seem to fit in although I usually see rounds versus my asschers and my ring depending on where I am is either really big compared to others or about in line with everyone. I’m in Houston so I’ve seen some boulders. But there is also a very diverse social/economic mix here so I also see very delicate stones. When we go to our place in Aspen...EVERYONE is rocking boulders. It’s all big. Big engagementrings, big studs, and fancy watches. People dress casually but their jewelry lets you know there is serious investment being made there! When out running errands I do often hear how pretty my ring is and only occasionally do I get asked the size which I don’t give.

Last edited:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s cultural.
I live in two places, rural NC and France. I tend to align with the culture around me. I wear flashy stones in NC even though it is a casual culture... blue jeans are the signal that one is dressed up LOL, but in France displays of wealth are considered bourgeois so I only wear my asscher, which was bought specifically to wear there as it is more subtle. Still, I turn my rings around while on the trains, as you see very few diamond rings.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All of my jewelry is inherited and when I tell people that they seem to “get it”, I’m 5’2” with a size 4.5 finger and wear a 16x10 mm engagement ring and will be adding 2+ct halo studs to my daily wear. My husband and I are middle class and we are in our 30s so people are kinda surprised to see such a large stone on my finger even in our social circle who work in the same industry as my husband, me on the other hand lol I work with truck drivers so they drop some serious money on flashy rigs and big toys. I think as long as the person wearing the jewelry is confident and feels safe at all times then go as big as you want.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take public transit (subways mainly) on a regular basis. I turn my ring around in the warmer weather and wear gloves in the colder weather. I am smart about wearing my jewelry and just wear and enjoy it. And I truly don't care what judgmental people think about my bling. The very fact that there are people who will judge one based on something as superficial as that clearly proves IMO that their opinion doesn't matter at all. And I sure am not going to waste my energy and rationalize why I wear what I wear for them. LOL. None of their business. Haters are gonna hate.::)

And I will go one step further and add the green eye monster might be at play with those who judge others based on their bling.

ujelly.gif

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s cultural.
I live in two places, rural NC and France. I tend to align with the culture around me. I wear flashy stones in NC even though it is a casual culture... blue jeans are the signal that one is dressed up LOL, but in France displays of wealth are considered bourgeois so I only wear my asscher, which was bought specifically to wear there as it is more subtle. Still, I turn my rings around while on the trains, as you see very few diamond rings.
Wait... your Yoram Asscher is your subtle jewellery??

:o

lol

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I take public transit (subways mainly) on a regular basis. I turn my ring around in the warmer weather and wear gloves in the colder weather. I am smart about wearing my jewelry and just wear and enjoy it. And I truly don't care what judgmental people think about my bling. The very fact that there are people who will judge one based on something as superficial as that clearly proves IMO that their opinion doesn't matter at all. And I sure am not going to waste my energy and rationalize why I wear what I wear for them. LOL. None of their business. Haters are gonna hate.::)

And I will go one step further and add the green eye monster might be at play with those who judge others based on their bling.

ujelly.gif

Hahaha. This literally made me laugh out loud. Good way to start my morning :)

But its true. Good old envy and sour grapes bring out the worst in us all...

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My personal preference is between 6-7mm for rounds and 7 X 5 to 8 X 6 for ovals. I like a little larger size for pear or emerald cuts (not that I have a pear or emerald cut, although I'd be happy to start working on that!) Larger than that feels pretentious on me. I don't think larger diamonds are pretentious on others at all. In fact I admire, adore and appreciate the larger stones that other people wear A LOT. They just don't feel right for me. I don't know why. I would happily wear a larger diamond for a fancy occasion, but not as a daily ring.

At work, most women are wearing diamonds that look to be between .75 to maybe 1.5 carats max. No one ever speaks about jewelry or offers compliments. There's one women who has a larger diamond and a lot of pretty colored stone rings, too. I sometimes wonder if she's a Price Scope member! One of these days, I'm going to compliment her on her jewelry. I have a feeling she'd really open up and express a similar love of All Things Bling.

Last edited:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this question! I live in a small city in the mid-Atlantic region of the US. When I got engaged with a family stone - a 7.1-ish OEC, I received TONS of remarks about how big it was. And I thought it was too big, too. My sisters in law had similar sized rings and I called them The Big Diamond Society and then I joined. Lol. Now I have a 6.8 (that’s is much less deep so it’s not nearly so high off the finger which for me is much better). And I’m okay with it most days. I have a 7.5 mm moissanite getting sized as we speak but I can’t imagine that I’d wear it every day because of the size but will rock it when I’m in the mood. I think my sweet spot if I had only one ring to wear (I realize how lucky I am) would be about 6 mm. I think that would suit me for all days.

As others have mentioned, it’s about physical comfort and confidence. Rock what works for you!

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
id say if people judge someone for having "too big" diamond...a bit of reverse snobbery is at play and if they are friends then quite frankly id be wondering how good a friend they were....

in this case judgment would say more about the person giving it that the recipient....

safety is obviously important but one way is to swing the stone around so its under your palm...though many are far too self involved to notice your ring in public(especially in rush hour on public transport), and if they do they may think its fake

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this question! I live in a small city in the mid-Atlantic region of the US. When I got engaged with a family stone - a 7.1-ish OEC, I received TONS of remarks about how big it was. And I thought it was too big, too. My sisters in law had similar sized rings and I called them The Big Diamond Society and then I joined. Lol. Now I have a 6.8 (that’s is much less deep so it’s not nearly so high off the finger which for me is much better). And I’m okay with it most days. I have a 7.5 mm moissanite getting sized as we speak but I can’t imagine that I’d wear it every day because of the size but will rock it when I’m in the mood. I think my sweet spot if I had only one ring to wear (I realize how lucky I am) would be about 6 mm. I think that would suit me for all days.

As others have mentioned, it’s about physical comfort and confidence. Rock what works for you!

OMG i want to see this collection

diamondweasel

Rough_Rock
Premium
I don’t have a ‘bigger stone’. In fact, I don’t even have an e-ring any more.

But I DO have my own ring which I got made for me. People mistake her for my ering all the time and I will proudly tell them NOPE. She’s not an ering. I got it myself.

She’s 7.2mm but in an antique paisley halo, which gives up to maybe 9-9.5mm coverage. I do get people exclaiming over it but I will rock it with pride. Of course, she is an OEC and an L colour so not as expensive as what a high colour MRB might cost...

I guess I don’t really care what people think. If they admire my bling, I trust they have good taste lol! I don’t even care if they judge me for buying myself a ring instead of wearing an e-ring. I like my ring. That’s all there really is to it.

For reference I’m in my early 30s. I guess people in my social circle don’t buy themselves rings, but do wear erings typically in the 1-1.5ct range.

I’m a doctor too and here in Scandinavia we are not allowed to wear any hand jewelry at all for hygiene reasons. I have a 2.2 AVC in a halo, but only wear it outside of work. And to be honest wearing it at work would feel icky. This is one major downside to the job:lol:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m a doctor too and here in Scandinavia we are not allowed to wear any hand jewelry at all for hygiene reasons. I have a 2.2 AVC in a halo, but only wear it outside of work. And to be honest wearing it at work would feel icky. This is one major downside to the job:lol:

Really? Which part of Scandinavia? Are you talking about surgery or working in a private practice? Because here in Norway, my GP definitely wears both a (small) solitaire E-ring and wedding band under her nitrile gloves. Been to her twice and she was wearing her rings both times. Never been to a hospital or had surgery here though (knock on wood), so can't comment on if the rules are different in Norwegian hospitals.

I know that in America, it depends on the particular hospital system. GPs can wear rings if it doesn't rip their gloves. For hospital workers, it depends on the hospital and department within the hospital (some permit rings and some ban them). The only place in America where there is an across the board ban on rings (and any other type of hand or wrist jewelry/watches) is in sterile areas like the OR.

diamondweasel

Rough_Rock
Premium
Really? Which part of Scandinavia? Are you talking about surgery or working in a private practice? Because here in Norway, my GP definitely wears both a (small) solitaire E-ring and wedding band under her nitrile gloves. Been to her twice and she was wearing her rings both times. Never been to a hospital or had surgery here though (knock on wood), so can't comment on if the rules are different in Norwegian hospitals.

I know that in America, it depends on the particular hospital system. GPs can wear rings if it doesn't rip their gloves. For hospital workers, it depends on the hospital and department within the hospital (some permit rings and some ban them). The only place in America where there is an across the board ban on rings (and any other type of hand or wrist jewelry/watches) is in sterile areas like the OR.
I live in Finland. Ever since med school we’ve been taught about how much bacteria can gather under a ring/ jewelry and that wearing gloves does not help. There is a trend where doctors are encouraged to rather use hand sanitizer. Gloves only if touching a wound etc.
I am in the surgical field, but the same rules applied when I worked as a gp ( we have a mandatory 9 months).

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I live in Finland. Ever since med school we’ve been taught about how much bacteria can gather under a ring/ jewelry and that wearing gloves does not help. There is a trend where doctors are encouraged to rather use hand sanitizer. Gloves only if touching a wound etc.
I am in the surgical field, but the same rules applied when I worked as a gp ( we have a mandatory 9 months).

Interesting to learn about the variations in different medical systems. Perhaps they're also teaching current med students in Norway similar rules, but my GP is certainly not that far out of med school. Don't know her exact age, but she appears to be late 20s/early 30s. Certainly not over 35. But things might have change in the last 5-10 years. At any rate, she certainly hasn't gotten the memo (or maybe chooses to ignore it :mrgreen:).

As far as I am aware (from my fiancé) there still isn't any hard and fast rule regarding what can be worn under gloves in America. They are definitely teaching "gloves are not a 100% effective barrier/wash your hands after removing your gloves" now, but no regulations regarding jewelry in a normal office setting.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I think 1-1.5ct round/oval/marquise and 1.5-2ct other fancy cut is sort of a "sweet spot" where it appears sizable, but not eye-poppingly huge, and certainly not so large you'd have to hide it in a safe.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it depends on the setting too....a 3 stone halo with lower tcw can be more attention grabbing than a larger solitaire...there are places i just don't wear jewelry b/c i either don't want to lose it or don't want people to make assumptions based on what i'm wearing but for the most part people don't seem to notice tbh.

MrsKBP

Shiny_Rock
I realized that I did take off my ring recently....when I went car shopping! I didn’t want anyone to feel like I would pay sticker price.

First dealship I forgot to take off the ring and they offered invoice + 1.00%.
Second dealership I took off the ring and they offered invoice - 4.00%.

I don’t know if they’re related or not but it is funny. The first salesman even remarked about how nice my ring is when we sat down!

My brother is a nurse at a hospital and I think he told me he has to use hand sanitizer after every patient and then on the fifth patient he has to do a full hand wash. I could be off on the numbers but it’s something like that and by here I am in Houston, TX, US.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take public transport daily and wear my 8.5mm solitaire which is in a plain metal setting. I find that blingy pave or halo settings attract more attention than a larger stone. I think I can easily wear a 3-3.5ctw solitaire without people paying attention to it. TBH, most people during my commute are more interested in their social media updates than my jewelry.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t wear anything in a ring over 2.5 CT’s because it looks like a doorknob on me. I wear 2 ct each ear studs with no problem. The only time I was ever uncomfortable was on the Heathrow express train out of London to the airport. I had on my e-ring and two eternity bands and no one else had any jewelry on. I felt very conspicuous.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst I get lots of compliments on my lovely pear cut & generally how nice my wedding rings look together, they are not big for where I live - they’re just a bit different. Most women here (solid middle class Cheshire) wear a MRB of around 1.5 - 2 ctw. I would like a 1.5 - 1.75ct Tiffany classic one day - that’s about as large as I would go on my finger. I work at my children’s school & some of those teachers have serious rocks & serious cars. The Year 6 teacher has a 2.5ct MRB on her very teeny finger, beautifully cut & gleaming from edge to edge, paired with a 3.5mm full round eternity wedding ring. I have pawed her hand many times, but whilst it looks perfect on her, it blings me out a bit & I would feel a bit too flash. I spend half of my life running through muddy fields or gardening & the rings are always on. They fit me perfectly. But one day, that Tiffany will be mine.... :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results