shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel this Sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I decided to keep the stone, and I"m thinking of bezeling it with a simple hammered silver band because I think the hammered effect resemble water which goes well with the river-blue color of the stone. (I''m a big fan of silver).

Think that would look ok? I took some more pics of my sapphire (first blue sapphire!). It looks very light to medium depending on lighting etc. Here it is in some of it''s darker manifestations, taken in my living room with normal diffuse natural light.

darkerblueset.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more

mediumblueset.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some hand shots

handshotsspe.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And these just turned out neat, the light was hitting it just right or something, it doesn''t usually look this way, but I thought it was cool :)

I''m finding that the sapphire looks much much nicer in daylight than indoors :) I''m glad it was a nice day today!

neonglowness.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s a touch more grey in the stone than the pictures are picking up, which gives it a cooler feel. And there''s a little color zoning from certain angles. I still love the color though :)

There are chips on the girdle (hence the great price), which is why I was leaning towards a bezel as well. I''d bezel it east-west

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty. I would have no problems bezeling that stone.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
If it''s not too dark a stone sure. I like bezels and there are some light airy bezel settings out there. What type of metal are you thinking?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 2:05:29 PM
Author: innerkitten
If it's not too dark a stone sure. I like bezels and there are some light airy bezel settings out there. What type of metal are you thinking?
I was thinking silver. I still haven't gotten to the point where I can get myself to spent more on the setting than the stone, lol. Although I could probably do it in white gold for under 150$

Do you think a semi bezel would be better?

(side note: this is by far the most photogenic natural daylight stone I've had)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 2:11:40 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Date: 4/27/2009 2:05:29 PM
Author: innerkitten
If it''s not too dark a stone sure. I like bezels and there are some light airy bezel settings out there. What type of metal are you thinking?
I was thinking silver. I still haven''t gotten to the point where I can get myself to spent more on the setting than the stone, lol. Although I could probably do it in white gold for under 150$

Do you think a semi bezel would be better?

(side note: this is by far the most photogenic natural daylight stone I''ve had)
LOGR has a plain semi-bezel setting for a round . . . they could make it for an oval set east west I bet, and it''s right around $150ish.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks :) I''d probably want to get it done here in the US though if possible.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 3:03:27 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

LOGR has a plain semi-bezel setting for a round . . . they could make it for an oval set east west I bet, and it''s right around $150ish.
Lauren,
do you have a link to this setting?

Sorry for the sorta thread hijack...

Oh and MTG, I think this stone is lovely!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 3:20:04 PM
Author: cinnamon013

Lauren,

I can''t get to the store for some reason right now, but just search his listings for "mount".

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Semi bezel
36.gif
can''t wait to see your finished product.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I saw this semi bezel on Etsy. I wonder if something like this would fit your stone?
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21387404&ref=sr_list_10&&ga_search_query=pod+ring&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=2&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You could go either way. I''d like to see the LOGR setting too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s my photoshopped idea (ring borrowed from ESdesigns on etsy). I photoshopped the sapphire in.

I like the hammered effect because it resembles water :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, forgot the pic

hammeredring.JPG

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME MTG!!!
36.gif
30.gif

Lori

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lori! Any ideas on how to set your new pad yet? Has it arrived?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 5:27:23 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Here''s my photoshopped idea (ring borrowed from ESdesigns on etsy). I photoshopped the sapphire in.

I like the hammered effect because it resembles water :)
Looks great! I''ve been wanting a setting like that for a while now.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks icekid, I''m already talking to etsy folk about getting it made :)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 3:20:04 PM
Author: cinnamon013

Lauren,

Yay, found it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROUND-6-5MM-14K-WHITE-GOLD-SEMI-MOUNT-ENGAGEMENT-RING_W0QQitemZ220400218922QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item220400218922&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LTP!

Do you think that''s look better than the photoshopped etsy ring?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting looks great. I like how thin the bezel is for a semi-bezel. How's the side view?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2009 9:15:49 PM
Author: Chrono
That setting looks great. I like how thin the bezel is for a semi-bezel. How''s the side view?

Thanks! What setting where you referring to? The LOGR one?
If you''re referring to the photo I posted, it''s photoshopped from the photo of a round (full) bezel ring, lol...so I have no idea what the side view would look like...or if a bezel that thin would even be possible in a semi bezel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh...yes, I meant the photoshopped one. Do you know the vendor? Will you be able to ask?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photo I used was from an etsy vendor, and I already emailed them to see if they''d be able to do a semi bezel. :)

If she can''t, I may try Alchemy on etsy, or possibly ask sally since she can apparently do any kind of setting, lol.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I looooove your sapphire. I''m looking for a sky blue one myself, and it''s not as easy as I thought. I''m curious to see what kind of offers you would get on Alchemy. A lot of talented people on Etsy if you go that way. Exciting to see what you end up with.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2009 9:27:41 AM
Author: mariedtiger
I looooove your sapphire. I''m looking for a sky blue one myself, and it''s not as easy as I thought. I''m curious to see what kind of offers you would get on Alchemy. A lot of talented people on Etsy if you go that way. Exciting to see what you end up with.

Thanks! Yeah, one of the reasons I didn''t send it back was because I loved the color, even though it''s not as sparkly (it has a bit of sleepiness to it) and had some minor flaws here and there. I think it''s hard to find lighter blue sapphires because people tend to heat them to get a nicer, deeper blue.

I''ve actually never used used Alchemy before. I wanted to ask the vendor who''s photo I photoshopped with first, but if she says she''s not comfortable doing a semi bezel, I may try Alchemy. And if that fails, I"ll just do the full bezel.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it''s such a shame about all the lovely lighter blues being torched away. I find the difficult part in learning more about gemstones is seeing all the flaws, and still appreciating the beauty of the stone :)

I''m no expert, but would bezeling bring out the "glow" of the sleepiness in your sapphire? I''m glad you kept it, I hope the setting will make all the difference. Have you checked with Bloom Studios by Christine Mighion on Etsy about a semi-bezel? I know she''s experienced, so maybe she''d be comfortable with doing the design you''d prefer? Good luck, I can''t wait to see the finished result!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results