shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to sell Tiffany E-Ring (2ct)

Tiffany2Ring

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I apologize if I am posting it on the wrong page.

I have a Tiffany engagement ring and a wedding band which I would like to sell. A similar diamond ring sells for more than $100K at Tiffany. What is the best and safest way to sell?

Thanks!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
PS Preloved
Loupe Troope
Diamond Bistro
Ruby Lane
Etsy
If you have all the tiffany papework and certificate you can try ebay.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Under resources tab at top, there's a "sell your diamond" link that you can use to broadcast the stone's data to Pricescope vendors and receive offers from them. Most people who've used that and talked about it said they got really low offers, though. But, if you need a fast sale, they might pay wholesale or a bit less.

Jewels by Erica Grace used to sell on consignment. Erica and Grace are dissolving it ito two separate businesses now, I believe.

Good Old Gold and Pearlman's are two jewelers who might sell on consignment.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oakgem
Beladora
Betteridge

There are dozens for vendors on First Dibs, East and West Coast, who would likely be interested. Have a look. But have your certifications and original receipts handy :))

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it the easily recognizable Tiffany six prong mounting? I think on the right website you'll have no trouble selling it if you realize that the price must be discounted from the purchase price.

TGCKJ

Rough_Rock
How many percents discount when selling Tiffany & Co ring may I ask? Thank you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TGCKJ|1392083805|3612404 said:

It depends how much money you want/expect and how quickly you want it.
Money and speed are mutually exclusive when a person sells a diamond.

If you can wait a long time, perhaps years, for it to sell you might get up to 80% of current retail value minus perhaps 10% commission if you consign it with a professional diamond vendor.
You might get 20% of today's Tiffany price from a pawn shop, but you'll get cash today and won't have the risk of meeting with a stranger to conduct the transaction.

FWIW, I recently sold a diamond for 50+% more than what I paid 8 years ago.
Lucky me that prices skyrocketed in those 8 years … they could have plummeted.
Mine is a very unusual story in which all the ducks happen to line up in a perfect row.

It was on consignment, took over a year to sell, and the seller got 10%.

Your problem is it's a Tiffany piece; that's good and bad.
It means it's worth more new and used than a less-presitious brand or generic diamond or setting.
But since Tiffany won't consign it for you any vendor that does must reveal it's used if they are to reveal it is Tiffany.
Even if you removed the diamond, sent it to GIA for a new lab report and got a vendor to sell it along side their regular inventory you'd be forfeiting that Tiffany premium.

I'll mention a diamond is not like an ounce of gold, which has one agree-to price regardless of if it is being bought or sold new or used plus a relatively tiny commission compared to a diamond.
Diamonds are like cars in that we have to pay retail but sell at below retail, usually WAY below.

Tiffany2Ring

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your reply. I have all the original paper work and gia certificate from Tiffany. I was going to list on ebay but wasn't sure how to handle the payment and delivery. If I sell on consignment, who keeps the ring until it's sold? I am not in a hurry to sell. My goal is to get as much as possible.

Vendors on 1stdibs, do they buy only or do they sell on consignment as well?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Try Loupetroop and DiamondBistro first, with the amount of fees Ebay will charge you on a sale you might be better to consign it to Grace from JBEG (she is still going to be taking consignments) or sell it to one of the larger vendors, do you want to upgrade or replace it with something? Ebay is a great place to advertise it having said that and take enquiries on it, do watch out for scammers on there.... Somewhere like Good Old Gold might trade it against something else, I think Jon from GOG takes consignments as well, contact them and ask..... Most of the vendors on 1st Dibs buy more than consign items.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TGCKJ|1392083805|3612404 said:
The appraisal for my 2.3ct solitaire replacement was 51k. Value if sold by owner was around 22k.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany2Ring|1392089361|3612513 said:
Thank you all for your reply. I have all the original paper work and gia certificate from Tiffany. I was going to list on ebay but wasn't sure how to handle the payment and delivery. If I sell on consignment, who keeps the ring until it's sold? I am not in a hurry to sell. My goal is to get as much as possible.

Vendors on 1stdibs, do they buy only or do they sell on consignment as well?

You have to contact each and ask their policies. Oakgem, Betteridge, Beladora would be a good place to start. Big Estate dealers.

cheers--Sharon

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What sets the price on resales is the nature and popularity of the item, the condition, the market selection, the skills of the seller, patience, risk tolerance and luck. There is not a very direct conversion rate between that and what another seller (in this case Tiffany) wants for a new one that’s similar. That is to say, a percentage of the Tiffany replacement estimate is NOT a sound way to set prices. Given your brief description in the title, I suspect this is a fairly expensive piece and it would benefit you to get professional advice from someone who is both familiar with the markets, who can look at the goods and who can talk with you about your own variables. They will be different than other people's. That is to say, hire an appraiser. There’s a list under the ‘resources’ tab at the top of the page.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless this is a hardship sale and you're willing to take a mammoth loss Ruby Lane, DiamondBistro, PS, Etsy, eBay, etc. are really not your target markets. Begin with a reputable appraisal like Neil suggested - I'm sure your appraiser can recommend venues for sale depending on what your priorities are (most money, least time, etc.), but I would agree that estate and consignment vendors are likely your best bets...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results