shape
carat
color
clarity

Best vendor to source ruby?

emmaline

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm a long-time lurker here and have read many of the threads before posting. I'm looking for a quality ~2ct heart shape vivid red natural ruby with no evidence of treatment/enhancement. I know good rubies alone are rare and my requirements narrowed that even more. It's something I wanted for many many years and finally able to purchase one so I don't want to settle on a different shape, etc. I have emailed a few vendors but had no luck finding such a stone. I was wondering if anyone has worked with or know any vendors that are great at sourcing rare and high-quality rubies. Thank you in advance for your help!

voce

Ideal_Rock
For a retail vendor, I would probably go with Inken of Enhoerning Jewelry. She had incredible patience and a good return policy for a retail vendor. She has sourced rare gems like Kashmir blue sapphires, and knows her rubies. If you have a realistic budget, you should contact her and ask her to source you something. Pretty much every ruby she has shown me (I had her source the ruby currently set as my avatar picture) was unheated. She wouldn't carry what you're looking for in stock, but she knows the wholesalers and can find you something and get you a good price. I was considering another ruby, and she could offer me the wholesaler's stated price a significant percentage off, even though I decided not to go for a second ruby.

emmaline

Rough_Rock
For a retail vendor, I would probably go with Inken of Enhoerning Jewelry. She had incredible patience and a good return policy for a retail vendor. She has sourced rare gems like Kashmir blue sapphires, and knows her rubies. If you have a realistic budget, you should contact her and ask her to source you something. Pretty much every ruby she has shown me (I had her source the ruby currently set as my avatar picture) was unheated. She wouldn't carry what you're looking for in stock, but she knows the wholesalers and can find you something and get you a good price. I was considering another ruby, and she could offer me the wholesaler's stated price a significant percentage off, even though I decided not to go for a second ruby.

Thank you so much! I will reach out to her.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Note that all three AJS rubies have the color and size but have had heat treatment. OP stated untreated, and as another person who only buys untreated corundum* myself, this actually narrows the field a lot.

Edit: above 3mm. I have bought heat only under 3mm.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce how hard do you think it will be to find an unheated and untreated 2 carat heart ruby?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At any rate, I would contact Inken and/or Gary at Finewater gems or any of the other vendors and wait it out until they go on their buying trips or the gem shows and see what they can find.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce how hard do you think it will be to find an unheated and untreated 2 carat heart ruby?

Very. Hence the OP asked for a vendor who specializes in rare. But if 25 carat unheated rubies exist, I think the possibility a 2 ct unheated heart cut also exists. It's certain to be very rare, and it's a question of whether the OP has a reasonable budget and whether the owner of the 2 ct unheated heart ruby is willing to part with it at that price. I estimate this would be a $50k at least purchase, since most untreated rubies are cut as ovals or cushions to conserve the weight.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very. Hence the OP asked for a vendor who specializes in rare. But if 25 carat unheated rubies exist, I think the possibility a 2 ct unheated heart cut also exists. It's certain to be very rare, and it's a question of whether the OP has a reasonable budget and whether the owner of the 2 ct unheated heart ruby is willing to part with it at that price. I estimate this would be a $50k at least purchase, since most untreated rubies are cut as ovals or cushions to conserve the weight.

Yes. I suppose OP’s budget is between her and the vendor looking... OP, you do seem to understand what type of purchase this is, so I assume you have a healthy understanding of budget. I’ll just die if you don’t show us hand shots when this project is completed!!

For my pale yellow round sapphire, Gary looked for about a year before he found one.

Inken found my emerald at a gem show.

I’m not sure when the Tucson gem show ends, but I believe both Gary and Inken are there. (Or were if it’s over)

[email protected]

[email protected]

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A note with regard to working with a gem cutter to source a suitable rough.

Not all gem cutters will cut heart shaped stones. Jeff White does not as I had asked him in the past. Can't remember if I had asked Gary or Doug if they would cut hearts, sorry!

Therefore I would advise asking the gem cutter first if he/she would cut hearts before working with him/her to source a suitable rough.

DK :))

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A note with regard to working with a gem cutter to source a suitable rough.

Not all gem cutters will cut heart shaped stones. Jeff White does not as I had asked him in the past. Can't remember if I had asked Gary or Doug if they would cut hearts, sorry!

Therefore I would advise asking the gem cutter first if he/she would cut hearts before working with him/her to source a suitable rough.

Good point. In the description for that set Burma ruby ring from Wildfish Gems Ed says it’s not really a heart but a rounded trilliant, which is more durable than a heart shape.

So there must be something to why not everyone cuts hearts.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to see what the stone looks like when you finally buy one - because a heart shaped ruby- wow! ❤❤❤

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point. In the description for that set Burma ruby ring from Wildfish Gems Ed says it’s not really a heart but a rounded trilliant, which is more durable than a heart shape.

So there must be something to why not everyone cuts hearts.

According to Jeff W, special tooling is required in order to cut the cleft, and he does not get many requests for hearts.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to see what the stone looks like when you finally buy one - because a heart shaped ruby- wow! ❤❤❤

Mine is 1.67ct, face up like a 2ct, however it is heated.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the OP would consider preloved and keep an eye on auctions by the likes of Christie's?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heart shape is a not typical cut for corundum. I think It takes more raw crystal to create the heart shape and given the shape of ruby crystals I think modified cushion is the normal cut as it gives most face up size and saves as much carat weight as possible. It might take a while for you to find one but with time and patience you’ll get there. And yes, I’d look at preloved jewellery though auction houses too.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Here you go, apologies for the thread-jack in advance! Sorry, however, I cannot find a handshot, and the band is about 5mm.

bigrubyheart02.jpg

Oooohhhhh wow! That is stunning!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooohhhhh wow! That is stunning!

Thanks, and I have found a hand shot, the ring size is 8.5 US.

largerubyheart-jpg.573306

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The Natural Sapphire Company has many hearts, though the ones with no treatment are slightly smaller than the OP wants:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Natural Sapphire Company has many hearts, though the ones with no treatment are slightly smaller than the OP wants:

unfortunately NSC has a pretty bad reputation, so I'd avoid them in general.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs Oh, good to know. I have never purchased from them before, I only drool over some of their sapphires online! Can I ask why they have a bad rep?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
A pair: www

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results