shape
carat
color
clarity

Best vendor to source ruby?

SparkleC

Shiny_Rock
@emmaline I absolutely agree with @voce regarding her recommendation to work with Inken. You can read my threads describing my experience with Inken. She is wonderful. I was looking for a sapphire but she is well known for her knowledge and her network for colored stones. For someone like me who didn't know much about sapphires she was patient, kind, and always honest. Her stones are gorgeous and you know you're working with a knowledgeable professional.

kqt

Rough_Rock
Another vote for Inken here. We recently bought a very nice sapphire from her. Transaction was smooth and professional. She is super knowledgeable on sapphires and rubies.

emmaline

Rough_Rock
WOW, thanks for everyone's advice and response. Yep, I do know it's a crazy stone I'm looking for and do have a realistic budget in mind, now it's a matter of finding the 'perfect' stone. :) I've always been amazed by everyone's helpfulness on this forum. Will definitely post if I'm lucky enough to find one to complete this project I've dreamed for a long time.

emmaline

Rough_Rock
Here you go, apologies for the thread-jack in advance! Sorry, however, I cannot find a handshot, and the band is about 5mm.

bigrubyheart02.jpg

DK :))

Definitely not jacking my thread! I live on those photos, they are my spirit animal. Beautiful ring!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not jacking my thread! I live on those photos, they are my spirit animal. Beautiful ring!!!

Thank you. It was a pre-PS purchase, and heated. However I liked the colour and shape, and the price was within my reach.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
KV gems has top quality stones. They price is quite high but the clarity is almost perfect. Every stone comes with a certificate. But they take only cash or transfer

voce

Ideal_Rock
If none of these vendors have something on hand, you could try and purchase a piece of rough through connections and have a skilled gem cutter cut it into a heart. Roger Dery and his family come to mind, but you'll have to work through a retailer like Inken.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
KV gems has top quality stones. They price is quite high but the clarity is almost perfect. Every stone comes with a certificate. But they take only cash or transfer

They take cash? That sounds dangerous and under many circumstances and countries, e.g. over $10.000 illegal, without paperwork.

On a different topic, aren't heart shapes done less frequently because of low yield after cut and less luster?

If luster is not a major issue, you can safe a lot by getting a silky or opaque ruby, especially untreated.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to hearts give lower yield when cut.

As for lustre, I believe it is down to the quality of the starting material and the skills of the cutter.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They take cash? That sounds dangerous and under many circumstances and countries, e.g. over $10.000 illegal, without paperwork.

On a different topic, aren't heart shapes done less frequently because of low yield after cut and less luster?

If luster is not a major issue, you can safe a lot by getting a silky or opaque ruby, especially untreated.

I remember Tsavorite USA doesn't accept credit card.

I forgot to mention that a lot of Chinese jewellers sell a lot of heart shape stones. Maybe it is easier to check the Chinese vendors

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The reason you don't see many hearts is not because a heat would produce a smaller yield, the yield is function of using the right design for the rough shape of the stone. For some stones a heart would actually produce the best yield. The reason is there is not a big market for heart shapes. In almost 20 years of cutting stones I have only been asked for a heart shape one time, and I think that was from the OP of this thread.
I spent a lot of time in Tucson this year looking for the heart, and for every heart shape I found I saw maybe 1000 or more other shapes. You do see hearts more often in less expensive material, or in cabs, but not often in ruby and sapphire.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason you don't see many hearts is not because a heat would produce a smaller yield, the yield is function of using the right design for the rough shape of the stone. For some stones a heart would actually produce the best yield. The reason is there is not a big market for heart shapes. In almost 20 years of cutting stones I have only been asked for a heart shape one time, and I think that was from the OP of this thread.
I spent a lot of time in Tucson this year looking for the heart, and for every heart shape I found I saw maybe 1000 or more other shapes. You do see hearts more often in less expensive material, or in cabs, but not often in ruby and sapphire.

That is a little odd to me because you would think people would want red heart shaped rubies? I guess they don’t.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
That is a little odd to me because you would think people would want red heart shaped rubies? I guess they don’t.

Yes that's what I would have thought too, what with ruby being associated with passion.

This discussion made me think of this heart-shaped ruby crystal. I don't know if this is a weird twin:
Heart-shaped ruby crystal 2.JPG

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that's what I would have thought too, what with ruby being associated with passion.

This discussion made me think of this heart-shaped ruby crystal. I don't know if this is a weird twin:
Heart-shaped ruby crystal 2.JPG

That’s cool

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Found this one with a GIA report. $30,894

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps red and heart is too much? Like over the top?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
is it only me, I get a software-warning and blocked site via Norton from jupiter?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yup, and I have bought 2 heart-shaped rubies off the shelf.

I also like other pink-red CSs in heart shapes. However, since it is hard to find cutters who would cut hearts, I have given up on that idea.

I may get for a pink heart Moissy one day. :Up_to_something:

emmaline

Rough_Rock
I've got no helpful advice do I'll wish you good luck and show you my Ruby heart since it's Valentine's day in Australia.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200214111710823.jpg

OMG your ring is BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you for your kind wishes and I truly hope I can find a beautiful ruby :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results