carat
color
clarity

Best use of money?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1452094850|3971625 said:
Just got confirmation that the diamond has arrived!!! :dance: I can't wait to see it when I get home!!!

I reached out to GOG about the Beverley K setting, but I was told that the amount of changes I want is really more than just a modification. They are going to get a quote for me from a designer they do a lot of their custom work with. I also reached out to MDZ for a quote since I've worked with them before and had a good experience. At this point, I'm really not sure exactly what I want to do for the shank or gallery, and I'm not quite sure if I want to do larger square sapphires or sapphires in that "petal" design at north, south, east, west. I think I'd be happy with either, but would love artistic input. Given that uncertainty, do you think it's worth reaching out to DK for a quote as well? I'm hesitant since it seems that working with him requires you to know exactly what you want, but I do think his work is beautiful. I've also considered reaching out to Julia B on etsy... Is there anyone else I should be considering?

Absolutely get a quite from dk. Never hurts and he is super helpful and easy to work with even . it might be best if we got a few photos to show him, and you said "my budget is ****, here's what I'm after, can this be done in 14k gold size x? "

That way will require a bit of adjustment to the cads, but we can cross that bridge when we get there if need be.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Well this is exactly what happened and GOG recommended working with timeless designs. But having been through that process and the DK direct contact process, I would hands down, recommend working with DK for this type of project.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
artdecolover71|1452105244|3971702 said:
Well this is exactly what happened and GOG recommended working with timeless designs. But having been through that process and the DK direct contact process, I would hands down, recommend working with DK for this type of project.

Artdecolover, thanks so much for that insight!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So any news?

Think of how you wanted the shank to look?

I was trying to think of a basic (less expensive) way to incorporate sapphires in an interesting way. Enter my terrible doodle

picsart_01-06-09.jpg

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Glamgirl on your win! And it is real exciting to follow this thread and see all the ideas for your beautiful diamond. This is going to be one heck of a ring! :appl:

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
It's here! My first diamond!

What a treat to come home to today! Let me first say how beautiful JA's packaging is...I was definitely not expecting such a nice presentation. The diamond itself is lovely. I'm no expert by any means, but I love it. It faces up the perfect size for me, it's totally eye clean, and it's so sparkly! I'm also loving how white it is (to me anyway)...I don't consider myself color sensitive by any means, but I'm so glad I didn't drop down to a K like I was originally considering. The G on this stone is perfect.

The light in my apt is awful, and I only have an iPhone5 camera, but I tried to snap a few shots anyway:
img_2043.jpg
img_2045.jpg

As for the shank, I'm very much leaning towards something like this:
shank.jpg

I reached out to DK, MDZ, and JuliaB today regarding the setting. DK can do it within my budget with the sapphires, but without diamonds (he said he could do engraving instead of diamonds). With the sapphires and diamonds, it's slightly out of my budget. Not by a whole lot, so I'm debating whether or not I can stretch the budget a bit. MDZ came back to me originally with a quite that was very much within my budget BUT, my all of my pictures hadn't attached the first time around. After I re-sent them all, he said that the original quote he gave me was for round sapphires at n,s,e,w...to do the "petal" design at n,s,e,w will be more because they'll be custom cut sapphires. The issue of custom cut sapphires was brought up on this thread previously, so I was expecting that. I am waiting to hear back about approximately how much more that might be and also to hear about how much it would be to do square sapphires (rather than round) at n,s,e,w since I assume square sapphires would also be custom cut. I'm also trying to imagine how round sapphires might look in the Beverley K inspiration setting. I am having trouble envisioning it...I feel like it might be ok but also has the potential to look really wrong. JuliaB apparently does not set stones from outside vendors. She can, however, make the mount and I can have it set locally. I'm not sure if that's a route I want to go though...honestly, I'd really prefer to just have it all be done at once. I haven't heard back yet from GOG.

Niel, thank you so much for all of your help and patience as I try to navigate this process! I really do like your doodle as well! I've honestly never been a huge fan of airlines, but based off of your doodle, I actually think it could look really nice in that design. I'm still very much interested in the Beverley K setting with my modifications, but if all the quotes come back too high, I'm definitely interested in the design you came up with, Niel!

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
PattyCo|1452136405|3971974 said:
Congrats Glamgirl on your win! And it is real exciting to follow this thread and see all the ideas for your beautiful diamond. This is going to be one heck of a ring! :appl:

Thank you!!! :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I adore the stone. It looks like it bright all the way through. And that's what you want in a a marquise, and the size is perfect for a halo.

I think you should stretch your budget a little if you can. I do think that doing round sapphires instead of custom cut is a smart move if you can do it.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
That's a really pretty diamond, and I love the ideas you have. Can't wait to see..... :appl: :appl: :appl:

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love: That diamond is sooooooo beautiful! Do you love it?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous marquise!! :love: I can't wait to see it set. :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my idea for your ring.

This setting. But reverse the colors. Where there is green now, use regular brightcut pave white diamonds. Where there is white diamonds now, use sapphires, round ones. It would be really lovely. And cost effective. Especially with the plain shank. You do engraving on the shank. Ask DK for a quote based on this. And see if he can do that in budget.

_35913.jpg

img-thing_marquise.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1452149331|3972048 said:
Here's my idea for your ring.

This setting. But reverse the colors. Where there is green now, use regular brightcut pave white diamonds. Where there is white diamonds now, use sapphires, round ones. It would be really lovely. And cost effective. Especially with the plain shank. You do engraving on the shank. Ask DK for a quote based on this. And see if he can do that in budget.

Cool!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1452137232|3971982 said:
It's here! My first diamond!

What a treat to come home to today! Let me first say how beautiful JA's packaging is...I was definitely not expecting such a nice presentation. The diamond itself is lovely. I'm no expert by any means, but I love it. It faces up the perfect size for me, it's totally eye clean, and it's so sparkly! I'm also loving how white it is (to me anyway)...I don't consider myself color sensitive by any means, but I'm so glad I didn't drop down to a K like I was originally considering. The G on this stone is perfect.

The light in my apt is awful, and I only have an iPhone5 camera, but I tried to snap a few shots anyway:
img_2043.jpg
img_2045.jpg

As for the shank, I'm very much leaning towards something like this:
shank.jpg

I reached out to DK, MDZ, and JuliaB today regarding the setting. DK can do it within my budget with the sapphires, but without diamonds (he said he could do engraving instead of diamonds). With the sapphires and diamonds, it's slightly out of my budget. Not by a whole lot, so I'm debating whether or not I can stretch the budget a bit. MDZ came back to me originally with a quite that was very much within my budget BUT, my all of my pictures hadn't attached the first time around. After I re-sent them all, he said that the original quote he gave me was for round sapphires at n,s,e,w...to do the "petal" design at n,s,e,w will be more because they'll be custom cut sapphires. The issue of custom cut sapphires was brought up on this thread previously, so I was expecting that. I am waiting to hear back about approximately how much more that might be and also to hear about how much it would be to do square sapphires (rather than round) at n,s,e,w since I assume square sapphires would also be custom cut. I'm also trying to imagine how round sapphires might look in the Beverley K inspiration setting. I am having trouble envisioning it...I feel like it might be ok but also has the potential to look really wrong. JuliaB apparently does not set stones from outside vendors. She can, however, make the mount and I can have it set locally. I'm not sure if that's a route I want to go though...honestly, I'd really prefer to just have it all be done at once. I haven't heard back yet from GOG.

Niel, thank you so much for all of your help and patience as I try to navigate this process! I really do like your doodle as well! I've honestly never been a huge fan of airlines, but based off of your doodle, I actually think it could look really nice in that design. I'm still very much interested in the Beverley K setting with my modifications, but if all the quotes come back too high, I'm definitely interested in the design you came up with, Niel!

I'm so glad you like the stone! Always great to be pleasantly surprised, you know?

Can't wait to hear how the process goes. Hopefully the design gypsy posted both fits your budget and style.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
the stone is gorgeous! SO happy for you.
I am sure DK will make you happy. I cannot wait to see how it unfolds! Love all of the ideas posted. There aren't many on the pinterest boards for antique mq so I have seen them all and loved each one for a different reason.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this one I'd you put sapphire baguettes where the diamond ones are.

da21e3f75a9aebe1b90ad1cdca93ab47.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Omg love that one/ I actually have never seen that !

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is on the hand

doyleanddoyle_1152251024536281351_543061063.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one - I colored it.

picsart_01-07-10.jpg

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Wow, wow, wow, I really cannot thank you all enough for helping me to find the perfect setting that meets my wants and my budget!!!

Gypsy, I love the settings you posted! I've actually seen the first one, but somehow it never occurred to me to switch the colors. I will definitely be asking for a quote about that - I love the idea! And Niel, the one you posted is gorgeous - especially that hand shot - and it's super helpful to see the blue where the sapphires would be. I'm going to ask about this one too!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel said:
Here it is on the hand

This one looks like it would be perfect for Rainbowradish as there are no sharp tips/points and it's a bezel around the marquise!!! Looks beautiful and nice and comfy.

Sorry to thread jack.

cloreene

Rough_Rock
Congrats! I got a marquise too!

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It might be. It might not be. Either way a quote costs you nothing.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I just heard back from MDZ. Of the designs I've sent them and the quotes they've given me, I've narrowed it down to two (if I were to go with them) They can do this (with round sapphires where the diamonds are and regular white diamonds where the emeralds are) for very much within my budget:
_35913.jpg

They can also do the Beverly K setting with the sapphire "petals" for a bit more, but still within my price range. (It would also take quite a bit longer, but I'm less concerned with that). So it would be this setting:
bk.jpg

But with sapphires set at n,s,e,w as seen here:
11_17.jpg

The last one in this sketch is my attempt to draw out the design:
fullsizerender-2_7.jpg

Of these two, is there one that you would recommend over the other? I love them both, but since my diamond is one the smaller side, I'm wondering if the second design would look too bulky or end up looking like it has too much metal? On the other hand, I'm wondering if the sapphires in the first design would have enough presence... I don't know. Thoughts?

I'm also still waiting to hear back from DK.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that's hard.

I'm so excited that you have two VERY gorgeous settings to chose from.

Tell me, which one makes your heart pitter patter.

And when you close your eyes: is this more a cocktail ring? Something that is a "SHOW ME" piece. Or one that is more understated, and more for your own personal joy?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1452236060|3972518 said:
Oh that's hard.

I'm so excited that you have two VERY gorgeous settings to chose from.

Tell me, which one makes your heart pitter patter.

And when you close your eyes: is this more a cocktail ring? Something that is a "SHOW ME" piece. Or one that is more understated, and more for your own personal joy?

Such good questions, Gypsy!!! Honestly, they BOTH make my heart pitter patter! I really love them both so much for different reasons. I just wish I could really visualize how they might look in real life. I do know that I don't envision this as a cocktail ring...definitely something something more understated and for my own personal joy.

I think that honestly, the first setting where there are emeralds in the original setting is probably the best for my diamond. I really do do love that one. I think it's so pretty and right in line with my aesthetic! My only real concern is that the sapphires won't have enough of a presence or that they would somehow look odd. They are accent stones, but I want them to be noticed. I also want them to look like they "fit", not that I just threw sapphires on there because I wanted sapphires (even though it's true - I am making an effort to have sapphires just because I want them! :oops: )

That being said, I love the halo on the BK setting so much. I just really love how its differently from a lot of halos I see on a daily basis. And same with the sapphire "petals" - love how they have a presence and are a bit different from a lot of things I see. However, I'm really concerned that my diamond is too small to really make that setting work well. I really don't want it to be bulky or have too much metal. I love the idea in theory, but I'm just having the hardest time figuring out if it's really the best setting for MY diamond. And what I really want to avoid is starting the process and then me deciding half-way through (or, eek, after it's finished!) that I don't love it...especially since this one requires the custom cut sapphires. I'd hate to waste everyone's time and energy.

I've also been playing around with the idea of possibly combining the BK halo (with diamonds) with the n,s,e,w design on the emerald ring (where there would be sapphires). But again, I can't really visualize if that would look good or just weird. And that potentially have the same issues/concerns as doing the BK setting with the sapphire "petals" (too bulky or too much metal).

I am notoriously known among my friends as being one of the worst decision makers, and that is definitely coming out now! I know I have to make my own decision, but a part of me wishes that someone would just tell me what to do, lol. Ugh! But, I really do appreciate all of your continuing guidance and help! It feels like I'm getting nowhere, but I know I wouldn't have even made it this far without PS!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Your stone is going to look much larger once it's set, so that's the first thing. Your stone faces up larger then it's carat weight, if you look at my SMTB thread for my DK piece, that might be helpful bc I think you stone is almost the same face up dimensions! I think any of your choices will work well but just figure out which feels the most like you? Also, do you want it to look more like a statement piece or an e ring? I thought about only doing the calibre cut sapphires and no outer scalloped halo on mine, but I already have an e ring/anniversary ring I wear daily so that was factored into my own decision. Will you be wearing daily or special occasions only? These are all questions that might help when choosing :) it's s tough decision but a fun one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results