carat
color
clarity

Best custom setting for 2.52 ct (j si2) heart shape ring

c63amg

Rough_Rock

c63amg

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, I called VIctor Canera and they said they are not taking custom orders at this time. Any other ideas?

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
I love a heart set in a bezel.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1467050623|4048855 said:
I love a heart set in a bezel.

I agree with AnnaH -- a bezel will define and accentuate the lovely shape. It also protects the girdle and adds SIZE! :naughty: :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steven Kirsch also does similar work to Victor if you want a simple pave setting. I do love that bezel ring, but some women would rather have the pave. I would not do pink in an e-ring.

Does you future fiancee know about and like this diamond?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1467060594|4048951 said:
Steven Kirsch also does similar work to Victor if you want a simple pave setting. I do love that bezel ring, but some women would rather have the pave. I would not do pink in an e-ring.

Does you future fiancee know about and like this diamond?

+1

Heart shape diamonds are pretty polarizing...so are bezels!

I personally love both, but probably wouldn't want a heart shape for my engagement ring.

Is there any way you can do some reconnaissance on what she likes (pinterest, tight-lipped friends or family?)? Even if you know she'd love a heart, that at least will give you an idea on what kind of setting she might like.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
farrahlyn|1467037889|4048773 said:
speaking of VC, I think this VC setting is probably THE most gorgeous i've ever seen for a heart shaped diamond. Very classy.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/5-carat-heart-in-victor-canera-setting.221027/

That VC bezel is to die for. I am stodgy, and older, and I always thought heart shape diamonds would be much too cutesy for me. But I absolutely love that VC bezel ring and would certainly not turn it down! The pave halo and band with a heart might be too "confectionery" for me, though. But I also feel that way about many of today's pave halo concoctions, even with a round diamond center.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree try Steven Kirsch, he does beautiful pave as well, and if you love hearts, don't listen to people who don't diamond shape is a really personal thing, I love decent sized hearts in halos personally!!!!

c63amg

Rough_Rock
She knows of the diamond. She hasn't actually seen it because its locked up in the bank. But she has seen pics. I have a general idea of her style based on her comments of what other women have. I don't think the bezel style is for her. I do think she would like steven kirsch after looking at his site. How is he on price?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't answer the question re SK's pricing, except say that both SK and VC do exquisite work, but they're not who we'd normally recommend to the budget-conscious consumer. Many PS'ers have lovely rings made by David Klass Jewelry in Los Angeles, and we often recommend him for the budget-conscious. Diamonds by Lauren (DBL) also designs lovely heart-shaped rings. They're also very budget-friendly, but I don't know if they take commissions using center stones that they did not provide.

DKJ has a facebook page that shows a lot of the rings he's made. DBL has a comprehensive website.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would advise contacting White Flash to see if they can help, based on this ring of theirs that I adore:

hearttmb_big_dscn4651_0.jpg

DK :))

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It seems like you have received some great suggestions on here. If $12k is your setting budget then I am sure you will end up with an absolutely stunning ring, that's a sizable budget. Reach out to whomever you feel does work most in line with your vision for this project and then go from there. I can't wait to see more updates.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
c63amg|1466906068|4048394 said:
Got the loose diamond a few years ago as a trade w/ neighbor for some land I owned. Now want to use it to finally get married. I have no idea what I would be best for this unusual shaped diamond. Looking for expert opinions.

Budget is under $12k. I like this one http://media.tiffany.com/is/image/Tiffany/1X_Engagement/tiffany-soleste-heart-32265421_2.01ct_2_FINAL.jpg?defaultImage=NoImageAvailable&&

What would be cost to get pink instead of white diamonds around the big diamond?

Don't go for pink around that. The Tiffany ring is one of the few truly elegant heart halos I've seen. And it looks that way largely because it's all white metal.

Unless she specifically asked for a setting like the below (in which case Maytal Hannah is the best vendor), I would stick to the classic elegance of all white metal. You are already putting a heart on her finger. Adding pink to that is going to make it more polarizing.

03e33fe6492885ac2bac0553ab9a183b.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a pave setting from Steven will be in the $4-5k range. The heart shape could make it a little higher. But both Steven and Victor are pave masters, so that is your very best bet. I would say that maybe SK could incorporate a couple of small pinks in the gallery of the ring. Here's an example of someone who had stones set in their gallery (ring made by SK). Obviously yours would be different, but the gallery is a place you can have a colored diamond that does not interfere with the top view of all white stones.

avcwintotty.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1467124378|4049182 said:
I can't answer the question re SK's pricing, except say that both SK and VC do exquisite work, but they're not who we'd normally recommend to the budget-conscious consumer. Many PS'ers have lovely rings made by David Klass Jewelry in Los Angeles, and we often recommend him for the budget-conscious. Diamonds by Lauren (DBL) also designs lovely heart-shaped rings. They're also very budget-friendly, but I don't know if they take commissions using center stones that they did not provide.

DKJ has a facebook page that shows a lot of the rings he's made. DBL has a comprehensive website.

I mis-read the thread title and thought we were dealing with a <1 ct diamond. Just read more carefully and saw that your stone is a whopping 2.5 ct, and your budget is for the setting alone. So... never mind! :oops:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy and I just met with Steven yesterday and I wanted to share with you be a use you are considering working with him.

I do not have a ring made by him but if I ever wanted a halo I would ask him. This is very much based on the style of halo I like. The first time I saw his work was seeing Gypsy's asscher in a halo IRL. To say that her ring is amazing does not do it justice. The halo did not in any way obscure or take away from the center stone. I could see both the center and the halo separately but it did not seem awkward or forced. The whole ring was perfectly proportioned. It was the first time I ever could see myself wearing a halo. And I had to figure out WHY that was. I've seen some beautiful halos, never could see myself owning one. I realized that I did NOT want the melee to blend into the center stone. I did NOT want a bezel that I could see. However, I also did NOT want to see a clear delineation between the center and the melee to be seen. HOW COULD THIS BE ACHIEVED?? When I asked Steven what his philosophy was about halos, he showed us what he does, and it confirmed my suspicion, and what I saw looking at Gypsy's ring under a loupe. He put one of his many halos under the microscope so we could see specific portions of the halo, because the work is SO FINE it is hard, even with a 10x loupe for my poor eyesight. The melee were placed right along the center stone but the two NEVER touched. So there was no part of the center the covered the melee, and vice versa. But the melee and the center were placed so closely together that you could not tell without magnification. That explained why the halo did not look separated from the center stone. That explained why I loved his halo when I looked at it with my naked eye. I thought there was something different, but I didn't trust myself so I felt like I had to visit him to confirm my suspicion. The halo and the center stone never touched but the ring as a whole looked flowing and seemless. I hope I was able to convey what I saw without pictures. I didn't know how to take them through a microscope.

He and his assistant Sandra are very nice, reasonable and professional. If you ask him specific he will explain why he makes his rings a certain way. As we were talking, Sandra was taking notes of my questions, preferences and concerns. I was very impressed by their professionalism and steps taken to be organized and to provide the highest level of customer service. I think his style of halo will compliment you heart shaped stone amazingly well, and really show off your stone to its greatest potential. If I had your stone and wanted a halo I would go to no one else. Also, it is the shape of your stone that you want most highlighted. I truly believe that his work will do that.

Ask him about color matching your melee, and the shank, basket, etc. I didn't even talk about his prongs, but they are so delicate and perfect I would need a loupe to see them. Price wise, he is probably comparable to Victor and Leon.

I think it will come down to style of halo you prefer. If you want the center to blend with the melee, then his halo may not be for you. If you want to see both clearly but have no awkwardness or lack of flow to the look of your whole ring, I could recommend no other.

As to price, I would say that even if you offered some of these vendors that local Jewelers say they can send your ring to to achieve this look $10k, they still couldn't do it. You have a very special stone. You want to do it once and you want to do it right. Price matters but then again it's not about the money, KWIM? I would be willing to pay more than what I would pay most other vendors to get exactly what I want.

If you can visit him in NYC, I would DEFINTIELY do it. The peace of mind, getting to know him and how he works, seeing his work IRL, would be worth it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great post, LLJsmom! Are you setting your new diamond in a halo???!!!! Exciting!

I just want to say that the majority of people here who have used Steven or Victor have never been there, so it is absolutely not necessary.They are going to do top quality work regardless!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think on a 2 plus carat heart you are looking at more than 5k for a setting similar in style to the original Tiffany you posted. I suspect it will be in the 6-8 range. And additional if you add pink melee.

I actually managed a decent picture of my ring the other day (I'm a horrid jewelry photographer). My stone is 5.9 square about and 1.09 carats. The band you see on my other finger is one point melee (probably what would be used on a large stone) on a 2mm band. So my particular halo is a very fine and delicate with 1/2 point melee.

I have had NO issues with the quality of my ring from Steven.

gypsy_halo_clh.jpg

c63amg

Rough_Rock
Ive decided on Steven Kirsch. I will post the end result in about 6-8 weeks

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
c63amg said:

I look forward to the reveal, c63amg!! :D

LLJsmom|1467207497|4049633 said:
The melee were placed right along the center stone but the two NEVER touched. So there was no part of the center the covered the melee, and vice versa. But the melee and the center were placed so closely together that you could not tell without magnification. That explained why the halo did not look separated from the center stone. That explained why I loved his halo when I looked at it with my naked eye. I thought there was something different, but I didn't trust myself so I felt like I had to visit him to confirm my suspicion. The halo and the center stone never touched but the ring as a whole looked flowing and seemless. I hope I was able to convey what I saw without pictures. I didn't know how to take them through a microscope.

Ask him about color matching your melee, and the shank, basket, etc. I didn't even talk about his prongs, but they are so delicate and perfect I would need a loupe to see them. Price wise, he is probably comparable to Victor and Leon.

Thanks for sharing your experience, LLJsmom. I found it extremely helpful. Have you had the opportunity to see Victor Canera and Leon Mege's work as well? I am wondering what the differences in philosophy and craftsmanship are with the three "pave masters of Pricescope". Is Steven's work extremely distinct? Thank you so much!!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skhii|1467272206|4049999 said:
c63amg said:

I look forward to the reveal, c63amg!! :D

LLJsmom|1467207497|4049633 said:
The melee were placed right along the center stone but the two NEVER touched. So there was no part of the center the covered the melee, and vice versa. But the melee and the center were placed so closely together that you could not tell without magnification. That explained why the halo did not look separated from the center stone. That explained why I loved his halo when I looked at it with my naked eye. I thought there was something different, but I didn't trust myself so I felt like I had to visit him to confirm my suspicion. The halo and the center stone never touched but the ring as a whole looked flowing and seemless. I hope I was able to convey what I saw without pictures. I didn't know how to take them through a microscope.

Thanks for sharing your experience, LLJsmom. I found it extremely helpful. Have you had the opportunity to see Victor Canera and Leon Mege's work as well? I am wondering what the differences in philosophy and craftsmanship are with the three "pave masters of Pricescope". Is Steven's work extremely distinct? Thank you so much!!!!

Hi, I do have a setting done by Victor, and yes I have seen his work. I love my setting but since I have a different stone I am not using it right now. Just look through my threads and you will see it. I am not planning on selling my setting because it is a work of art. The quality of his melee is unbelievable. I have single cuts. I had melee on the shank and basket and it is so gorgeous, constantly sparkling. No regrets going with Victor. I wasn't in a frame of mind to go with a halo at that time. I did see his halos but I did not focus on them, like I did with Steven. So I can't really compare them. I can say that his halos are also extremely, extremely delicate as well. However, I think Victor uses only high color melee and Steven with color match to the center stone. I used to have an F so a halo from Victor would work. However now that I have a K, I want K melee and I am not sure if Victor will do that.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
I love the V.C. Setting. Less is more. I can't believe I just said that, but it is so classy and clean-lined. It might be worth the wait. Just put it in a Tiffany style solataire setting until it can be made.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results