shape
carat
color
clarity

Best carry on bag

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read up on her airlines, and KLM is very restrictive on the carry-ons. So the ebags rolling one won't work and the backpack one is too large, as well. I am about to lose my mind. I've spent way too much time on this! I now think it will have to be a shoulder strap tote carry-on, and a checked 24-24" bag. I really had loved the idea of a rolling carry-on with the attaching duffle, but it's not going to work on the international flight back.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read up on her airlines, and KLM is very restrictive on the carry-ons. So the ebags rolling one won't work and the backpack one is too large, as well. I am about to lose my mind. I've spent way too much time on this! I now think it will have to be a shoulder strap tote carry-on, and a checked 24-24" bag. I really had loved the idea of a rolling carry-on with the attaching duffle, but it's not going to work on the international flight back.

Yeah, KLM has the worse reputation all around, I think.

DH finished packing last night and said he can't believe how much he was able to fit. These mother lode minis are ebags #1 best selling bag. I'm nearly done packing, though I need to get a move on.... leaving around noon for the airport.. have to take the LONG way to LAS via ATL uugh, I'll probably get delayed.

The packing cubes are amazing-- have never used them before. I love bags though-- my kids call me bag lady. I love to put bags inside of bags lol. It's how I stay organized.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uugh. I had to put one of my packing cubes in his bag.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uugh. I had to put one of my packing cubes in his bag.
I was looking for a carry on for my week in Ireland next month. Are you unhappy with it now?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking for a carry on for my week in Ireland next month. Are you unhappy with it now?

No, it's a good bag, especially when you can get it for $89.99 on ebay.

I'm a classic Over packer. I can't help myself. I also packed my hair dryer and heat straightner brush because the hotel hair dryers fry my hair.

I need to get better at packing and using the cubes. Oh, the cubes are cheaper on ebay too.

It is also still cold in Las Vegas and I am heavy right now, so my clothes are large and bulky.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also forgot that on Sunday evening we are going to be in a condo at Corvette driving school and it has a washer/dryer. So I surely could have packed less, but it is too late now to pull it all out and start over.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it's a good bag, especially when you can get it for $89.99 on ebay.

I'm a classic Over packer. I can't help myself. I also packed my hair dryer and heat straightner brush because the hotel hair dryers fry my hair.

I need to get better at packing and using the cubes. Oh, the cubes are cheaper on ebay too.

It is also still cold in Las Vegas and I am heavy right now, so my clothes are large and bulky.
I am a serious overpacker which worries me about this bag. I will not be taking any hairdryer or my straightener brush. LOL. I will check out ebay for this bag and the cubes. Thanks! Have fun!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Longchamp expandable travel tote with crossbody strap and that thing is amazing. Since it’s soft sided you can stuff it into even the tiniest overhead bins or at least get to your gate and they’ll valet it if there’s no way everyone’s carryons are going to fit. Obviously not an issue with international flights but still.

For a backpack I’d consider an Osprey daypack on the larger side. Those are packable and lightweight plus you can get raincovers for them if you’re trotting around Europe in the rain or mist.

After years of having roller bags with pull-up handles that broke after 2 years I finally made the switch to soft sided everything and couldn’t be happier. I just checked the Longchamp for the first time in a year and a half because I bought too much stuff in FL and didn’t feel like lugging it through the airport. If I hadn’t wanted to check it I would’ve grabbed a smart cart and wheeled it.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really not sure if I want to do a carry on. I hate having to mess with a bag other than my tote between flights and we have 3 stops in the middle of the night.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really not sure if I want to do a carry on. I hate having to mess with a bag other than my tote between flights and we have 3 stops in the middle of the night.

When I go to Canada in April, I will bring a checked bag and this carry on so it won't be such an issue, DH bought the cheapest seats he could get (he hasn't flown the big 3 in nearly 20 years so he has no idea how bad it is) and one of the restrict

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My keyboard froze!!

One of the resteictions is no check in luggage!!

I took a pair of shoes out and that helped.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I might get this carry on and just check it. It will make me pack lighter. :lol: My handle is broken on my current bag so I can't get it down if I pull it out.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I might get this carry on and just check it. It will make me pack lighter. :lol: My handle is broken on my current bag so I can't get it down if I pull it out.

It has a lifetime warranty, so if it breaks just call ebags. Not sure if that applies to ones bought on eBay :lol:

I took a pair of shoes out and that made it much better. I don't need 3 pair of shoes for 5 days lol.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a lifetime warranty, so if it breaks just call ebags. Not sure if that applies to ones bought on eBay :lol:

I took a pair of shoes out and that made it much better. I don't need 3 pair of shoes for 5 days lol.
I have 3 pair of boots I am taking - they are Earth and necessary for lots of walking. I will wear one but I can't be without the other two - different colors you know. Maybe this bag is too small. :P2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 3 pair of boots I am taking - they are Earth and necessary for lots of walking. I will wear one but I can't be without the other two - different colors you know. Maybe this bag is too small. :P2

I would say it is definitely too small for 3 pair of boots!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will one pair of mid calf boots fit in there? I could narrow it down.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We travel a lot and our preferred carry on is soft sided. No wheels, no metal handles -just straps. We find that various carriers here and abroad have different carry on dimension requirements and being pliable it can fit ( or squeezed) into those racks used to determine size at the gate. Plus because it is soft it can be squished into overhead bins better than a structured bag. We also find that it is lighter to carry than a structured bag with adjustable metal handles, wheels and hard shell. We looked long and hard to find bags that had plenty of side and inner compartments for organization with shoulder straps long enough to also wear on back . We are happy with our Under Armor baseball duffel bag. It comes in a variety of colors and is under $75. It works for us but it does not look professional or sophisticated.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We travel a lot and our preferred carry on is soft sided. No wheels, no metal handles -just straps. We find that various carriers here and abroad have different carry on dimension requirements and being pliable it can fit ( or squeezed) into those racks used to determine size at the gate. Plus because it is soft it can be squished into overhead bins better than a structured bag. We also find that it is lighter to carry than a structured bag with adjustable metal handles, wheels and hard shell. We looked long and hard to find bags that had plenty of side and inner compartments for organization with shoulder straps long enough to also wear on back . We are happy with our Under Armor baseball duffel bag. It comes in a variety of colors and is under $75. It works for us but it does not look professional or sophisticated.

I have a LL Bean tropical print duffle that I use when I check luggage. It doesn't stand up, which is a bummer, but after I unpack at the hotel or cabin, I can smoosh it into a small space for storage.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we had to gate check them anyway since the regional carrier is a sardine tin.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've travelled with my Eagle Creek bag on KLM without a problem and it's a bit larger than they allow by about an inch. Briggs & Riley has an international carry on which I also have. It's spendy but a great bag https://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/t...carry-on-expandable-wide-body-upright-u121cxw

Ugh, well it's frustrating when their width, for example, is 13.5 and most bags are 14"+, even the "international" ones! It's just risky because you never know how rigid they will be with their measurements at check-in. Although I guess worst case is she'd have to check it on some flights. Are you also checking a bag when you take these carry-ons?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you also checking a bag when you take these carry-ons?
No. We stopped doing that years ago and just do laundry when necessary. I take 2-3 pairs of pants which includes the pair I wear on the flight, 5 tops, a lot of underwear, 2 pair of shoes, and a small cross body bag. I wear a jacket on the plane because I'm always cold and that saves space in bag for other stuff. My travel purse is a nice roomy one so little incidentals go in there and I switch to the small one for use at our destinations.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ex Officio makes the BEST travel undergarments for men and women. Rinse out at night, they dry in a matter of hours. Legit option for those who are interested in traveling as light as possible.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. We stopped doing that years ago and just do laundry when necessary. I take 2-3 pairs of pants which includes the pair I wear on the flight, 5 tops, a lot of underwear, 2 pair of shoes, and a small cross body bag. I wear a jacket on the plane because I'm always cold and that saves space in bag for other stuff. My travel purse is a nice roomy one so little incidentals go in there and I switch to the small one for use at our destinations.

Ok, that's EXACTLY what I think she should do. And that's what I personally like to do, also, although I have not tried it for longer than a few days. My husband traveled for work for several years, and he never checked a bag. So maybe we will just try it and if KLM makes her check it, oh well. I think KLM is on the way back, so at least she knows she won't lose her bag on the way, unless it has to be checked due to the compartments being full. These leggings and skinny jeans the kids wear now take up almost no room, so I really think she can manage with a carry-on and personal item.

Ex Officio makes the BEST travel undergarments for men and women. Rinse out at night, they dry in a matter of hours. Legit option for those who are interested in traveling as light as possible.

Wow, that's great to know!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for Tumi bags; they wear like iron.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Delsey luggage, including rolling carry-on bag. Any bag under a certain size would work fine, mine just came as part of a set. I flew 2x last week, different size planes, so just check the dimensions allowed for your flight (s).
I like Delsey as well, and am on my third one. Just kept getting them smaller and smaller.
I’ve been experimenting for several years and have bought a new carryon for each trip.
It didn’t take me long to realize that light weight is my priority, because I have to change trains several times after my flight.
I now travel with this, combined with a large multipocket bagallini tote with a sleeve that slides over the handle
https://www.amazon.com/Delsey-Lugga...eywords=delsey+underseat+tote#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/baggallini-R...90&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=baggallini+tote&th=1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results