Best carry on bag

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
any recommendations? Thanks so much!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd just find something cheap and good at a thrift store in a lower-income neighborhood where they often don't recognize the value of fancy high quality brands.
I often find crystal stemware from Waterford, Swarovski, Orrefors, even Lalique for 95 cents each.
On Tuesdays they're 50 cents a stem.
They're just mixed in on the same shelf as the Libbey junk. :dance:

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.35.34 PM.png I've spent loads of money trying to find the perfect carry-on. Bought this one from Eagle Creek last year and I LOVE it. Got nearly 2 weeks of clothes in it for our Newfoundland trip this summer. Their cube packing systems are awesome too. They have videos on their site and youtube showing how to maximize use of the interior space.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.30.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.30.55 PM.png
    64 KB · Views: 18

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you buy check Groupon as they have a lot of luggage deals.

7C969184-62B4-46D6-A14E-F1C41E21B816.png

DH just bought this so can’t attest to durability yet, but he likes how well it fits everything. He also got a duffle from the same company.
77CA8DA4-7206-4E5E-9B06-E44B596FEF93.png

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If you travel a lot, I'd recommend TUMI.
If it's something you'd use just a couple of times a year, pretty much anything would work.

I got my hubs one of their leather Bashford Duffel bags three years ago. He's used it every weekend (as a weekend bag), and takes it on flights- still looks as good as the day we got it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I both have Tumi bags. We love them. He also has a Tumi bag that fits on top, and I carry a black OG bag from Lo & Sons. I absolutely LOVE both. A must for us both are bags that have a pocket to slide over the handle. It makes traveling so much easier. You can get around an airport with ease when you don't have to worry about making sure your bag doesn't come off.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am OBSESSED with carry-on luggage since I travel carry-on only, fly international and am petite (which makes having a light-weight bag with wheels a huge factor).

So far the best that I have is the Samsonite Uplite.
  • It's soft shell with front pockets (so can hold more),
  • 4 wheels (easy to glide around)
  • Under 5 pounds
  • Has a standard telescopic handle (can slide my laptop bag over the handle, as opposed to a single telescopic pole handle where it would slip around - my previous Victorinox failed miserably in this regard)
I use my carry on in conjunction with my Lo & Sons O.G bag and it works well.

I did consider other brands (Rimowa, Tumi, Victorinox) but none fit all 4 criteria. There's also the Red Oxx Air Boss if you prefer the shoulder style carry-on.

P

PierreBear

We like using the brand Travel Pro. It's been durable and has been well tested as DH used to travel weekly for work via plane. Very long lasting!

If you look at the stewardess and pilots, it appears to be the brand that they use as well. Good luck with your purchase and research!

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I don't check-in bags if I can help it. My carry-on is Rimowa Salsa Air Ultralight, at a smidge over 4 lbs. It's (one of) the lightest 4-wheel suitcase out there.

Depending on the length of the trip or weather, I supplement with a backpack, le pliage tote, or cabat as my personal item.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. We usually cruise or RV so I don't have a great need for one, but my luggage is old. I have 2 flights this spring and one will be carry on only. Plus, I do fly every now and again to go visit friends and family around the country, funerals etc. I would like one good carry on just to have.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I both have Tumi bags. We love them. He also has a Tumi bag that fits on top, and I carry a black OG bag from Lo & Sons. I absolutely LOVE both. A must for us both are bags that have a pocket to slide over the handle. It makes traveling so much easier. You can get around an airport with ease when you don't have to worry about making sure your bag doesn't come off.

Lo and sons is having 30% off right now BTW

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw that! I think I have all the bags I need at this point.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I used my Away carry-on and my Lo and Sons Catalina bag for my Euro trip this summer and I was very pleased with both.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used my Away carry-on and my Lo and Sons Catalina bag for my Euro trip this summer and I was very pleased with both.

I have the Catalina tote and was thinking of getting catalina next size up, but, I guess two shoulder bags and no wheels would be a PITA?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Catalina tote and was thinking of getting catalina next size up, but, I guess two shoulder bags and no wheels would be a PITA?

Yes, it found it easier to put my catalina on my away luggage and stroll it through airports.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Delsey luggage, including rolling carry-on bag. Any bag under a certain size would work fine, mine just came as part of a set. I flew 2x last week, different size planes, so just check the dimensions allowed for your flight (s).

Gadaph

Rough_Rock
It might not be your style, but I've had great success with Osprey Porter's.

https://www.ospreypacks.com/au/en/product/porter-46-PORTER46_308.html

In my case, it expands to the exact maximum size for carry on baggage on international flights leaving Australia, but also collapses to be more compact when required.

It has multiple handles and backstraps+waist belt which can be tucked away when required, so can be worn as a backpack or carried both vertically and horizontally. Tough as nails too, with several handy pockets for things you need in a hurry. No wheels though.
Just a thought anyway.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. I've been checking them all out.

Trip #1 is regional airport to ATL to LAS-- 8 hours travel time (sigh, bad schedule on our parts and this was the only route that fit our inflexible schedule). This is Delta main cabin. We won't check luggage.

Trip #2 is regional airport to DFW to YVR business class, American. Skiing. We will check bags, but I also wanted a carry on....

Further trips aren't planned yet. Right now, I am leaving toward the Eagle Creek bag.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 1.35.34 PM.png I've spent loads of money trying to find the perfect carry-on. Bought this one from Eagle Creek last year and I LOVE it. Got nearly 2 weeks of clothes in it for our Newfoundland trip this summer. Their cube packing systems are awesome too. They have videos on their site and youtube showing how to maximize use of the interior space.

The only problem is this one seems to come out one inch in excess of Delta's carry on limit of 45 total inches.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only problem is this one seems to come out one inch in excess of Delta's carry on limit of 45 total inches.
We flew Delta to Newfoundland and I had no problem.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't fly much at all any more and I am tight with money lol. I was able the motherlodes new with tags on ebay for $89.00 each.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this was a terrific choice! Our daughter is going to Italy for 12 days in March and I am thinking she'll need a backpack and 25" bag. But I really wish this carry-on would work and the backpack could be her personal item.

It has 4,000 excellent reviews but the one thing everyone says is it should have a side handle. They also have a matching backpack-- not sure if you saw it.

ETA: weekend convertible https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=1370034

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results