shape
carat
color
clarity

Best bench in the UK?

Gem_rocks

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I’m over here in the land of Blighty ! I’d love to know if anyone has experience of an excellent jewellery bench here? I’ve had beautiful things made by CVB and LAD and EW and I just haven’t found similar quality here. However it’s impractical having stuff sent back and forth, returns are a nightmare and customs !

Any recommendations?

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would love to hear more options of such craftsmanship in Europe in general, if not in UK!!!

Thank you for starting such a great thread

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK, I will start with a suggestion. There is a jeweller in The Lanes in Brighton called Grains of Gold, they are a retailer and also have their own workshop. The quality of their work is excellent, so much so that a couple of times I have made a 3 hour round trip with items of mine to have their jeweller (who is also the owner, I believe) work on my items.

He is very skilled, does exactly what has been asked (I'm very picky about how my stuff is finished) turns things around quickly and charges very reasonable prices. He has taken on repair work for me which other jewellers would probably have passed over because of the risks involved, and is honest and straightforward. I have tried various other benches in the Southeast and Central London, including Hatton Garden, and so far he is the best. I haven't had him make anything for me from scratch though.

http://www.grainsofgold.com/about/

Gem_rocks

Rough_Rock
Thank you! A great start...! Hope some more come along soon

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
19FF12BE-4094-4565-8D76-6BD9F6A69372.png
Yes that’s pave diamonds on the top and bottom of the basket!

16880770-AD0F-49A4-BF6F-B15DA02BCB2E.png 640180EF-CFD0-408C-A4F3-7FF05C46263E.png If you are looking for fine and delicate platinum work, try Hancocks in the Burlington arcade in Mayfair. Not used him personally, but the attention to detail And lightness of touch with his settings is breathtaking. Here are some stills taken from a video I took of a ring I saw at the shop.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Just bumping this thread for more action!

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

I’m over here in the land of Blighty ! I’d love to know if anyone has experience of an excellent jewellery bench here? I’ve had beautiful things made by CVB and LAD and EW and I just haven’t found similar quality here. However it’s impractical having stuff sent back and forth, returns are a nightmare and customs !

Any recommendations?
I'm in the UK too. What do these stand for pls? CVB and LAD and EW

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are all makers of settings, Caysie van Bebber, Love Affair Diamonds and Erika Winters.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

Any recommendations?
Wow! These 3 are exactly my style! Lots of milgrain and delicate work!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m in England too and the problem here is how expensive it all is. I approached Harriet Kelsall a while back and her quote was 3 x the quote I had from a US vendor. I know customs can be a challenge but it’s worth it to save such a lot of money.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m in England too and the problem here is how expensive it all is. I approached Harriet Kelsall a while back and her quote was 3 x the quote I had from a US vendor. I know customs can be a challenge but it’s worth it to save such a lot of money.

You’ve saved me time in contacting her! I had her on my list for future reference but three times more is just crazy. Why are prices for custom so ludicrous here do you think? Do you think it’s that so few people do custom work?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You’ve saved me time in contacting her! I had her on my list for future reference but three times more is just crazy. Why are prices for custom so ludicrous here do you think? Do you think it’s that so few people do custom work?

I honestly think people here just aren’t that into having bling made. We think that Goldsmiths is is the poshest jeweller on the high street so their stuff must be the best. I wish we were more in line with the US. I don’t mind buying from across the pond but it would be easier if we had some of their vendors here!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I contacted Jessica McCormack recently to get a quote for a pendant setting. I adore their button back style and have a stone I’d love to set that way. I’d kind of bench-marked a rough price based on their smaller set stones online and knew it was more than even pricier US equivalents, but there’s obviously a hefty outside stone setting fee added as the quote was way higher than I was expecting! Possibly not the best example as they’re top end marketed and I’d expect their prices to be high, but it seems to be the same everywhere here.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Durham Rose in Stratford.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I contacted Jessica McCormack recently to get a quote for a pendant setting. I adore their button back style and have a stone I’d love to set that way. I’d kind of bench-marked a rough price based on their smaller set stones online and knew it was more than even pricier US equivalents, but there’s obviously a hefty outside stone setting fee added as the quote was way higher than I was expecting! Possibly not the best example as they’re top end marketed and I’d expect their prices to be high, but it seems to be the same everywhere here.

It’s really disappointing that we can’t get decent prices here. I’m just glad we have the option to buy from the PS vendors. Once I found Pricescope I was ruined for ever buying the majority of jewellery here.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I honestly think people here just aren’t that into having bling made. We think that Goldsmiths is is the poshest jeweller on the high street so their stuff must be the best. I wish we were more in line with the US. I don’t mind buying from across the pond but it would be easier if we had some of their vendors here!
There're some gallery like places in Hatton Garden with lots of independent stall/designers etc. They seem to be offering good value so I'm strongly considering them now. https://www.instagram.com/buyfinediamonds/ and https://www.instagram.com/divinediamonds2/

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean the places with many different vendors, each with a section of display cabinet?

I am wary of those - we talked to one vendor and I almost considered using them, but I'm glad we didn't because we went back a week or two later and they were gone...

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Do you mean the places with many different vendors, each with a section of display cabinet?

I am wary of those - we talked to one vendor and I almost considered using them, but I'm glad we didn't because we went back a week or two later and they were gone...
Oh my days! That's horrid. One was recommended to me by my optician who made their 6yrs ago so they've been there for a while. Another has a good instagram profile so I reckon they won't want to loose all their followers. The 3rd is in the Hatton Garden building and I know they've been there at least 4 years with a good website, trust pilot ranking, Insta etc.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my days! That's horrid. One was recommended to me by my optician who made their 6yrs ago so they've been there for a while. Another has a good instagram profile so I reckon they won't want to loose all their followers. The 3rd is in the Hatton Garden building and I know they've been there at least 4 years with a good website, trust pilot ranking, Insta etc.
Due diligence is an excellent idea! :))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I’ve been in touch with the Jewellery Repair Shop to ask about a custom setting. I’m still waiting for a price but he sent me this video to show his work :kiss2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote here for the exquisite work by Hatton Garden Bespoke. He made my full eternity ring & whilst plain & straight forward, his other pieces are simply stunning. Definitely contact him.

klrrrr

Shiny_Rock

Hi @lissyflo - this thread is ancient, so apologies for resurrecting. I'm wondering ballpark what Jessica quoted you at for your pendant. If you're open to sharing but don't want to post here please message me on LT!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @lissyflo - this thread is ancient, so apologies for resurrecting. I'm wondering ballpark what Jessica quoted you at for your pendant. If you're open to sharing but don't want to post here please message me on LT!

Hello :wavey:
I too contacted Jessica McCormack for a quote to set a loose stone in a ring but was put off by her prices (I suppose a townhouse in Mayfair and all that stunning art doesn’t pay for itself) After doing some Google and Instagram stalking I found the bench who makes her button back settings and a few other pieces for them. They are called best designs 1996 on Instagram (so you can see examples of their work) this is the website https://www.bestdesignsltd.com/
I have not used them personally so I cannot vouch for them. But It maybe worth contacting them also.

Her pricing is more expensive than Erika Winters. To set my 2.6+ OEC in this setting https://www.jessicamccormack.com/signature-button-back-ring-with-crescent-moon-party-jacket
She wanted £8,500 in 2019

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too contacted Jessica McCormack for a quote to set a loose stone in a ring but was put off by her prices (I suppose a townhouse in Mayfair and all that stunning art doesn’t pay for itself) After doing some Google and Instagram stalking I found the bench who makes her button back settings and a few other pieces for them. They are called best designs 1996 on Instagram (so you can see examples of their work) this is the website https://www.bestdesignsltd.com/
I have not used them personally so I cannot vouch for them. But It maybe worth contacting them also.

Her pricing is more expensive than Erika Winters. To set my 2.6+ OEC in this setting https://www.jessicamccormack.com/signature-button-back-ring-with-crescent-moon-party-jacket

Ooooh, I’m off to stalk the bench. Wonderful info @RosieR ! I thought they made everything in house but wondered how they could possibly manage that after making pieces available on Matches rather than just via their shop/site.

I can’t remember what the quote was now @klrrrr but will check to see if I have it saved. I remember I was braced for high and was still surprised…

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m having a ring made by Durham Rose. They do CADs etc and have H+A melee available. The process has been smooth so far. I’m not sure how they compare price wise but my plainish 18ct halo is around £1700. I shall report back when we’re done!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I just wanted to say thanks for the Best Designs recommendation @RosieR ! I went in last week and, while they mainly do custom pieces, they had some pre-done items I saw. I got a pendant and earrings and have asked about setting my mum’s engagement ring stone as a pendant. He’s a nice guy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results