shape
carat
color
clarity

Bespoke Edwardian-Inspired Russian Demantoid Pendant

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is truly sensational! With spouse's home-cut stones no less.

Loved the documentary aspect. Can't wait for Season 2 =)2

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
PHENOMENAL!! Those stones are fantastic and I LOVE the pendant all together! Thank you for sharing all the progress journey pics too, it's so fascinating to see each stage.
An absolute masterpiece in every way!

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
That is truly sensational! With spouse's home-cut stones no less.

Loved the documentary aspect. Can't wait for Season 2 =)2

Actually these stones were NOT cut by my husband - demantoid rough (and specifically Russian rough even more so) is very very very difficult to find. I just meant that we had spent a fair amount of what might have been my "jewelry projects" money on buying gem rough instead, so I hadn't had a new piece of jewelry in a very long time. :)

Wow that's mind blowingly beautiful. I thought from original post where you say it is hard to find demantoids in larger sizes, I thought the whole pendant would be smaller. Those are sizeable demantoids!

Thank you, partgypsy, but actually these demantoids aren't all that big. I suppose they're a decent size for top-color Russian origin, but the biggest garnet in this pendant is 4.5mm and most of the others are 3.8mms except for the tiniest one. I do own a larger demantoid, a 1.06ct 6.1mm, but it was not used in this pendant. I'm still deciding whether to put the big one in a ring someday or sell it instead.

Last edited:

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for the lovely feedback and for letting me share my excitement with you! We're very much still self-isolating at home, so I don't think I'd have the chance to show anyone anytime soon if not for this forum!

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
Jaw dropping!!! Thank you so much for sharing the whole process. I could look at these pictures all day.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
What an incredible design, the journey of construction was wonderful. So few folks take the time to do this and it is so much fun to see.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's awe inspiring, I must say! Congratulations, wear it in good health.

In case you haven't spent enough money, I found these incredible earrings in the GildedLane shop on Etsy ;-): They would be perfect with your pendant.

il_794xN.2409118772_siuc.jpg

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
It's awe inspiring, I must say! Congratulations, wear it in good health.

In case you haven't spent enough money, I found these incredible earrings in the GildedLane shop on Etsy ;-): They would be perfect with your pendant.

Wow, those are incredible!! But yeah, I'm not spending any more money for a bit ;-)

dameisers

Rough_Rock
Clutching my invisible pearls! We have the same taste in jewelry and this is divine. I had no idea demantoid was so vibrant. I think you may have incited a new hobby!

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Clutching my invisible pearls! We have the same taste in jewelry and this is divine. I had no idea demantoid was so vibrant. I think you may have incited a new hobby!

Thank you so much! Yes, demantoids are my very favorite gemstones. Believe it or not, these pics really don't do justice to how they look in real life. They throw off lots of colored fire, like a diamond (hence the name ... "demantoid" meant "diamond-like")

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
So, so. beautiful ! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
Your demantoids are incredibly vibrant. What a fantastic colour.

Googling ‘demantoid garnets’ is what led me to Pricescope in the first place. I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

dameisers

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! Yes, demantoids are my very favorite gemstones. Believe it or not, these pics really don't do justice to how they look in real life. They throw off lots of colored fire, like a diamond (hence the name ... "demantoid" meant "diamond-like")

I have never understood all the fuss over emeralds because they are so terribly included and most often treated. I much prefer an untreated stone, which makes me a Gemmy Snob and I’m ok with it.

Do you have any favorite vendors for Demantoid?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have never understood all the fuss over emeralds because they are so terribly included and most often treated. I much prefer an untreated stone, which makes me a Gemmy Snob and I’m ok with it.

Do you have any favorite vendors for Demantoid?

There are smaller emeralds from Afghanistan that are untreated and are not so terribly included. They are beautiful!

I think most demantoid vendors are from Russia, and it's not the most straightforward thing to do business with them directly, as it's difficult to enforce any buyer protections between the US and Russia (I don't know about other countries). Some Russian wholesale suppliers do come to the US with their stones, and Yvonne Raley of Cecile Raley Designs, for example, regularly buys demantoid garnets from a Russian supplier, if you want such a thing as a return.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A gorgeous piece! "Watching" how it all came together was really enlightening!

HHtv

Rough_Rock
Onward to stone-setting (all bead/pave set), brightcutting, milgrain, etc... The pendant was embedded in shellac for much of this process to keep it supported.

Dem 17.jpg
Dem 18.jpg
Dem 19.jpg
Dem 20.jpg
Dem 21.jpg
Slight doming of the top:
Dem 22.jpg
Dem 23.jpg
Dem 24.jpg
Dem 25.jpg

Dem 26.jpg
Dem 27.JPG

On my hand for a sense of scale:
Dem 28.JPG
Dem 29.JPG

That's all for now! I have not taken any neck shots of myself wearing it, as I'm in my Covid-uniform today of yoga pants, no makeup, and messy hair. This pendant deserves better :lol-2: So I have it sitting on my neck form where I can freely admire it all day. I'm in love!

WOW! this is gorgeous!! It's a jewel that i can imagine being commissioned for the russian royal court!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance for a neck shot with this stunner of yours, @tara3056 ?
What a stunner! :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Wow, amazing stones, process, and outcome! Congratulations!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Still one of my very favorite pieces ever! :love: I would also love to see some neck shots.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Now I finally "get" demantoids! My only run-ins with them looked like included green/yellow/brown peridot previously, and I didn't see the rage. But...Yours are amazing! Talk about an heirloom piece!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results