shape
carat
color
clarity

BB Umbalite garnet in LOGR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry cut this beautiful garnet for me (after I whined to him that I NEED a garnet cushion - poor guy) and it fits in my LOGR, but I think it's too dark for the setting and the color gets much darker, probably not a stone meant for a bezel. Outside the setting it's much brighter. Do you think it's too dark? It probably is, but it's good to get other opinions. In the meantime, I will keep it and use it for something else. I really wanted a cushion garnet and I got one - yay, so I'm happy about that. It still sparkes in the setting and doesn't look black at all, but I don't know if the bezel is the best option for this stone. On the other hand, I could have them build something for this stone to bring it up higher so that I can prong set it in the mount.

BBGarnetTL1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the garnet out of the mount in a very dim room. The black on it is not extinction but my camera shadow. The stone turns purple in sunlight.

BBGarnetTL2.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone! Maybe a prong setting for that one?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Will, the more I look at the setting with the umbalite, the more I like it.

May I ask... Did Barry cut the stone as a 8mm or slightly smaller?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on knowing the dimensions of your garnet. TourmalineLover, is that the 8mm LOGR? The setting looks like you upgraded the stones - it''s beautiful! As to your question, I don''t think the garnet looks too dark, but I''d love to see more pics - you know, just to make sure.
31.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words. It''s an 8mm LOGR, and the tourmaline is 7.5 mm. The diamonds are upgraded and it''s my very favorite LOGR setting. It''s not as pink as other umbalites, and more on the red side, but I practically gave up ever getting a pink umbalite anyways, and this fit my LOGR. It''s still a very nice garnet, I think I''ll keep it to the side for a while and wait to get it a setting. I also think it would look really nice in yellow gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s Barry''s stock image of it.

MVC-157S2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a lovely garnet but I think having it prong set will help keep it''s current tone. Bezeling it sure made it look darker.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
So if not the umbalite, then what''s going in that gorgeous LOGR legacy? I keep almost buying one of those, but then I hesitate because I think it will be available later, and I''ve been spending my $$ on stuff that''s limited quantity, uber-sale. That''s definitely one of my top 2 favorite LOGR settings though, and if he ever discontinues them, I''ll be very unhappy.
39.gif
39.gif

By the way, do you have calipers? I was wondering if the outside halo dimensions on the 7 and 8mm settings were the same. I was also curious to know what the actual inside dimensions were on both of them. You said your tourmaline (but you meant garnet, right?) was 7.5mm - is there any wiggle room in the 8mm setting?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks beautiful TL! But you''re right it does look quite a bit darker, although it really is still gorgeous! What else are you thinking if not that umbalite?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 10:04:01 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I think it looks beautiful TL! But you're right it does look quite a bit darker, although it really is still gorgeous! What else are you thinking if not that umbalite?
Thanks for the kind words. This is a garnet (I think I mentioned it was a tourmaline above by accident). I do that quite a bit, don't I?

I have no idea what I'm going to put in this setting. That's the problem with buying the setting first and getting the stone second. I think I'm going to give up for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky one day and locate something for it, but for now, I think it will stay empty. I've looked everywhere and all cushions in nice colors sell out before you can blink your eyes. Barry was very kind to cut this stone for me after my whining, but I don't think it's a good fit for the setting unfortunately, and it will remain unset for now.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
TL, I''m in the same boat as you with that particular setting. What do you think about a tourmaline?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 9:56:37 PM
Author: cellentani
So if not the umbalite, then what's going in that gorgeous LOGR legacy? I keep almost buying one of those, but then I hesitate because I think it will be available later, and I've been spending my $$ on stuff that's limited quantity, uber-sale. That's definitely one of my top 2 favorite LOGR settings though, and if he ever discontinues them, I'll be very unhappy.
39.gif
39.gif

By the way, do you have calipers? I was wondering if the outside halo dimensions on the 7 and 8mm settings were the same. I was also curious to know what the actual inside dimensions were on both of them. You said your tourmaline (but you meant garnet, right?) was 7.5mm - is there any wiggle room in the 8mm setting?
I have both the 7mm and the 8mm and there is a distinct difference in the sizes of both, this is easiy to visually see without measuring. I think there are a lot more options for the 7mm since most of the stones the cutters we all know and love do cut more of that size I think. That's why you see so many cushions legacies in LaurenThePartier's collection, she doesn't have a problem finding stones for those as much. However, I do think the workmanship on my 8mm is far superior to MY 7mm and the diamonds are much much nicer.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 10:46:07 PM
Author: mochi
TL, I''m in the same boat as you with that particular setting. What do you think about a tourmaline?
The kind of tourmaline I love are just not easily available in any cut, especially in 8mm cushions! I asked around about tourmalines, and no luck.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 10:25:05 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 2/7/2009 10:04:01 PM

I think it looks beautiful TL! But you''re right it does look quite a bit darker, although it really is still gorgeous! What else are you thinking if not that umbalite?

Thanks for the kind words. This is a garnet (I think I mentioned it was a tourmaline above by accident). I do that quite a bit, don''t I?

I have no idea what I''m going to put in this setting. That''s the problem with buying the setting first and getting the stone second. I think I''m going to give up for a while. Maybe I''ll get lucky one day and locate something for it, but for now, I think it will stay empty. I''ve looked everywhere and all cushions in nice colors sell out before you can blink your eyes. Barry was very kind to cut this stone for me after my whining, but I don''t think it''s a good fit for the setting unfortunately, and it will remain unset for now.

It''ll probably be the case that as soon as you give up on the perfect stone for the setting, something will pop up! Anyway, I hope it does! Any particular color? You could do a pale pink - I love how that lighter blue shade of your tourmaline pops in the LOGR bezel setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 11:06:57 PM

It'll probably be the case that as soon as you give up on the perfect stone for the setting, something will pop up! Anyway, I hope it does! Any particular color? You could do a pale pink - I love how that lighter blue shade of your tourmaline pops in the LOGR bezel setting.
Thanks BEG for the kind comments on my tourmaline. I love that ring, and wear it just about every day!

I wanted a certain pale pink umbalite cushion, but it sold before I could get it (again, the "luck factor" was not in play)
7.gif
. Unfortunately, most pale pink tourmalines have brown or grey secondary modifiers, and I don't care for those. I don't care about the primary color of the stone as long as it doesn't have too much undesirable secondary modifiers (brown, grey). It also needs to be a medium to light stone (but not too light), well cut, and not overly extinct. That's a tall order I'm afraid if you want an 8mm cushion! My dream stone would be a medium saturated seafoam green blue neon tourmaline, but um, I don't think that will happen in say . . . a million years. Maybe if I wait a million and a half years. Ha!!
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s my dream color for this mount.

seafaom_dream.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
23.gif

WOW!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - it''s a gorgeous stone, and believe it or not, I do see some grey in that stone, but I don''t mind because it''s minimal. The top top top quality tourmalines have no grey whatsoever. That''s when you get into the tens of thousands of dollars a carat for a stone. The saturation on the above stone is perfect though.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty garnet--love the idea of yg!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Coati

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
You won't believe this - but I actually have a rhodolite that Richard E recut from my ebay purchase a few years ago. They have the same shape and color! I forgot how much mine weighs. Isn't this fun!

I agree that a prong setting will bring ou the beauty in your gem better. There was a lovely green tourmaline ring in the exact same shape on this forum, mounted in a lovely ring. That green tourmaline inspired me to recut my rhodolite. Here is the link to that green tourmaline ring.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-green-tourmaline-e-ring-is-on-its-way.30954/

Off the Topic Comments (Others Please skip) - sorry I couldn't find out how to send you a personal message - thank you for your remarks about my rings. I have special respect for you after reading your responses to a certain angry member about authencity of his/her stones. You handled it so well!

Rhodolite Recut.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 11:24:15 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 2/7/2009 11:06:57 PM

It''ll probably be the case that as soon as you give up on the perfect stone for the setting, something will pop up! Anyway, I hope it does! Any particular color? You could do a pale pink - I love how that lighter blue shade of your tourmaline pops in the LOGR bezel setting.
Thanks BEG for the kind comments on my tourmaline. I love that ring, and wear it just about every day!

I wanted a certain pale pink umbalite cushion, but it sold before I could get it (again, the ''luck factor'' was not in play)
7.gif
. Unfortunately, most pale pink tourmalines have brown or grey secondary modifiers, and I don''t care for those. I don''t care about the primary color of the stone as long as it doesn''t have too much undesirable secondary modifiers (brown, grey). It also needs to be a medium to light stone (but not too light), well cut, and not overly extinct. That''s a tall order I''m afraid if you want an 8mm cushion! My dream stone would be a medium saturated seafoam green blue neon tourmaline, but um, I don''t think that will happen in say . . . a million years. Maybe if I wait a million and a half years. Ha!!
9.gif

Is that a paraiba, TL? I agree that that color would be gorgeous bezeled and I can totally believe how hard it would be hard to find!

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I know the whole ''too dark'' vs. not thing is very personal, but have to say personally I love the stone in this setting! I don''t think it is too dark
1.gif
And I think the color of the umbalite is scrumptious, it is on my wish list for someday!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL I think from your original post you''ve made up your mind that the garnet is too dark for the setting but I''ve just got to say that I think it looks stunning. I personally don''t think it''s too dark (you can''t see any areas of extinction) but if it''s not right, it''s not right!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for the kind words on my garnet, I appreciate it.

BEG, I don't think that's a paraiba - it looks like an Afghan tourmaline, or seafoam green, to me. Paraibas, especially top gem ones, are much more "neon electric." As much as I would love to have a nice paraiba for my ring, I've become something of a purist lately, and heated stones kind of bug me. Most paraibas are heated.

Yingh,
Thank you for posting the pic of the green tourmaline. That's a gorgeous stone, but not exactly quite what I was looking for in this ring. Your garnet is quite beautiful as well. Who is "Richard E" if you don't mind my asking? Does he still do recuts?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 4:50:00 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
TL I think from your original post you've made up your mind that the garnet is too dark for the setting but I've just got to say that I think it looks stunning. I personally don't think it's too dark (you can't see any areas of extinction) but if it's not right, it's not right!
LD,
No I shouldn't say it goes black or turns totally extinct in this setting, it does have life to it in this setting, and I give Barry the full praise for his excellent cutting of the stone. It's also a lighter, brighter garnet for the rhodolite family, and that helps. I just feel that a prong set rose or yellow gold mount would look much better with this stone. It would look richer with the warmer gold colors, and the bezel does deepen the stone color a little bit. No way to get around that, so it really isn't the best fit for this particular stone.

I love that LOGR though, the day I got it, I walked around the house wearing it with no stones in it. It was that pretty. My search continues . . .

The reason I keep asking about recuts is that I have this cuprian (GIT memo came with it) that is a nice medium light saturation and would look pretty in here. It has great potential and is very clean, it just has the worst cutting imaginable on it as it currently stands. But I think you get the idea of what I'm looking for. I'm just afraid that so much would be cut away that it wouldn't fit. I don't even think a round looks that bad in this setting, but I want a stone that has the right color.

TLLOGRcuprian1.JPG

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An 8 mm stone, typically hits a different price point in the rough. Rough stones are usually sold by the gram, and there is one price for under 1 gram, and another for 1 to 1.5 grams. Then again at 2 grams etc. The under 1 gram stones typically cut these 5 to 6.5 maybe 7 mm stones, to get to an 8 mm you are usually up to 1.5 or 2 gram size. But then often these stones will cut 9 to 10 mm. The price, depending on the stone, can often be double per gram. Plus it''s a larger stone. So, the same stone that at 6 mm I could sell for say $100 per ct, at 8 mm may need to be $150 or $200 per ct. and since it''s a larger stone, say 2.8 cts compared to 1.5 the price of the stone jumps from $150 to $560.

Lately, it seems, all that''s selling are the under $200 stones, so I think this is where a lot of people are focusing when buying rough.

And the problem comes in that if someone asks for an 8 mm cushion, and you have piece of rough that was pretty expensive, but the best cut would really be a little different shape, that could yield a 9 or 10 mm stone, it doesn''t make sense to cut it down for a possible sale. If it sale falls through, you have really shot your self in the foot on that stone. Top quality rough stones are very expensive, and hard to come by.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 11:41:15 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
An 8 mm stone, typically hits a different price point in the rough. Rough stones are usually sold by the gram, and there is one price for under 1 gram, and another for 1 to 1.5 grams. Then again at 2 grams etc. The under 1 gram stones typically cut these 5 to 6.5 maybe 7 mm stones, to get to an 8 mm you are usually up to 1.5 or 2 gram size. But then often these stones will cut 9 to 10 mm. The price, depending on the stone, can often be double per gram. Plus it''s a larger stone. So, the same stone that at 6 mm I could sell for say $100 per ct, at 8 mm may need to be $150 or $200 per ct. and since it''s a larger stone, say 2.8 cts compared to 1.5 the price of the stone jumps from $150 to $560.

Lately, it seems, all that''s selling are the under $200 stones, so I think this is where a lot of people are focusing when buying rough.

And the problem comes in that if someone asks for an 8 mm cushion, and you have piece of rough that was pretty expensive, but the best cut would really be a little different shape, that could yield a 9 or 10 mm stone, it doesn''t make sense to cut it down for a possible sale. If it sale falls through, you have really shot your self in the foot on that stone. Top quality rough stones are very expensive, and hard to come by.
Exactly Gene, you said it way better than I could. I completely understand from the cutter''s perspective how difficult it would be to get a 8mm cushion. That''s why this makes my quest very difficult. I would be willing to pay more for a stone that would be the right color/combo for this setting, but alas, nature and the size and shape of rough are something that we cannot control. That''s why B&M stores sell lots of blue topaz and other common stones to fit their calibrated settings. It''s much easier to "order up" one of those than a specialty stone of rare color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results