shape
carat
color
clarity

BB Umbalite garnet in LOGR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Gene, for an explanation of gem stone cutting economics.

Yes, I think smaller stones are popular just now, both due to the smaller price tag, and the current popularity of colorful stacking rings.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
What about this LOFR mouting? It looks very similar to the one you have, but with prongs so the stones can be elevated to allow lights to go under.

Another reason why your stones does need bezel - it will hide away its unique cut and make it look like a regular square cushion cut.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 12:09:53 PM
Author: yingh
What about this LOFR mouting? It looks very similar to the one you have, but with prongs so the stones can be elevated to allow lights to go under.

Another reason why your stones does need bezel - it will hide away its unique cut and make it look like a regular square cushion cut.
I have that one, but I bezeled another Gene (precisiongem.com) tourmaline in there. I love it.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Do you like the diagonal mounting or this double shank?

Since our stones are in similar shape and you are so knowledgeable
19.gif
do you know if how to specify the size of the stone for the two style above? My rhodolite is 7mm on each side, and 8.5 diagonally. I shall go with 7mm, right?

By the way, I am really falling for the emerald ring shown in my last link (double shank). Given the price and description, the diamonds are clearly single cuts, right? What do you think of the emerald? I love that color!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The LOGR mounts fit best if the stone is close to the size of the mount or slightly smaller like a few tenths of a millimeter smaller. I wouldn't recommend a 7x7 cushion setting for your stone since it's 8.5mm one way, and that would be too big. He does customize settings for a stone size for a non-refundable $50 fee.

I'm super picky about emeralds, and I have to say that ebay is probably the last place I would buy one. There are too many unscrupulous treatments with emeralds, that's why.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to add Yingh that I personally favor diagonal mounted cushions, but the cushion needs to have the same length for all it''s sides. It''s a matter of taste and personal preference, as there is nothing wrong with traditional cushion mounts either. I am a fan of art deco and the diagonal design reminds of some art deco inspired pieces. I''m also a fan of putting a round stone in a square halo, but again, that''s not everyone''s preference.
1.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone. Love the color.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That stone is TDF
30.gif

I agree it needs a setting that shows off its glory - maybe a three stone?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 12:09:53 PM
Author: yingh

Hi Yingh. I have the standard 7x7 setting and also a larger custom one. I would recommend getting it customized for your 8.5 mm stone - I don''t think the jeweler could bend back the prongs enough for it to fit the 7x7. I really like that setting though and if you do get, would recommend upgrading the diamonds if you can (I didn''t but kind of wish I did)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results