shape
carat
color
clarity

Backwards: Help me find an e-ring to match my wedding band?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Backwards: Help me find an e-ring to match my wedding ba

pearaffair|1434472667|3889901 said:
motownmama|1434463857|3889848 said:
To MY eye, I prefer the E/W emerald cut - I think it complements your band and enhances it, but wouldn't overshadow it. I also think the style is more enduring. But - that said - only YOU need to be happy with it, my dear!

I think I'm leaning towards an E/W emerald cut... but would you picture it with a thin band, or a thicker band?

I think a fairly thin band as your finger fingers are, I assume by your size, dainty. Are you thinking soli or with baguettes? Bezel or prongs?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thin band, I think

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1434475085|3889917 said:
pearaffair|1434472667|3889901 said:
motownmama|1434463857|3889848 said:
To MY eye, I prefer the E/W emerald cut - I think it complements your band and enhances it, but wouldn't overshadow it. I also think the style is more enduring. But - that said - only YOU need to be happy with it, my dear!

I think I'm leaning towards an E/W emerald cut... but would you picture it with a thin band, or a thicker band?

I think a fairly thin band as your finger fingers are, I assume by your size, dainty. Are you thinking soli or with baguettes? Bezel or prongs?

My ring finer is size 4.5, but my fingers are long. I like thin and dainty, but I think I could also pull off a chunkier setting... lots of options!

Probably solitaire, because an E/W EC with baguettes beside it would then be too wide.

Bezel or prong! I'd have to see it to decide which I prefer. I think antique style prongs would be nice, like the Erie Basin yellow gold version up above.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe like this, but in platinum with squared edges?

emerald_26.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Or maybe a trapezoidal step cut?! WOAH, different!

trap_step_cut.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the e/w halo would be the more clasic route, which might be a good idea just because your wedding band is very traditional its a nice bridge to have a traditional stone with the more modern styling of the e/w orientation.

So OK, were sure making progress, thinner band, but maybe not too thin, maybe 2.1mm? Then a basket with tab prongs holding the stone e/w

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1434496147|3890067 said:
I think the e/w halo would be the more clasic route, which might be a good idea just because your wedding band is very traditional its a nice bridge to have a traditional stone with the more modern styling of the e/w orientation.

So OK, were sure making progress, thinner band, but maybe not too thin, maybe 2.1mm? Then a basket with tab prongs holding the stone e/w

Tab prongs! Thank you - I didn't know what they were called, but I do like them. I agree, going a more classic route would fit the feel of the wedding band.

I've been browsing different EC sizes. I'm considering everything from a 0.25ct to a 1.5ct! It would just mean more time to save up haha. What size of EC do you think would suit? I'm thinking more towards something delicate and tiny... I guess I should try and find a few in person to try on. I move to a bigger city next week; when I can find some and take pics, I'll post 'em here!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think somewhere between a .75-1 ct would be great. I'd want it big enough to be able to see and appreciate the facets, but still within budget and would fit your itty bitty fingers.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Niel|1434498613|3890089 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.74-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-452203

If this is eye clean I think it has potential

I love a classic emerald cut (I originally looked at asschers when shopping for my e-ring), but I want to go back to the OP's original post and point out that she specifically said she wanted SPARKLE! I am not sure if step cuts will do this. It will be more bold flashes of light, and very little "sparkle" or scintillation. OP, have you spent time with step cuts to know that you like this look? I wonder if a round cut would give more sparkle, and you could do matching baguette side stones. I am guessing if you sent your original band to a custom designer like David Klass, he could make sure the design would sit flush, if that's the preference.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.74-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-452203

Gorgeous! But I think I should probably find my setting first. Great to know that even on a low budget I can get a nice big size though. Thanks for looking for me, I really appreciate it :sun:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth|1434549112|3890254 said:

I love a classic emerald cut (I originally looked at asschers when shopping for my e-ring), but I want to go back to the OP's original post and point out that she specifically said she wanted SPARKLE! I am not sure if step cuts will do this. It will be more bold flashes of light, and very little "sparkle" or scintillation. OP, have you spent time with step cuts to know that you like this look? I wonder if a round cut would give more sparkle, and you could do matching baguette side stones. I am guessing if you sent your original band to a custom designer like David Klass, he could make sure the design would sit flush, if that's the preference.

Let me clarify, because you're right, that is what I said, but I think what I meant was...

If I have a stone that is a round brilliant or marquise or something, I care the most about the cut and sparkle. But I totally love the understated elegance of step cut stones :love: !

Really I'm too open to ideas and I just need to cement what I'm looking for.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair|1434558586|3890330 said:

Gorgeous! But I think I should probably find my setting first. Great to know that even on a low budget I can get a nice big size though. Thanks for looking for me, I really appreciate it :sun:

I'd ask if they could make this with tab prongs. I think it would look really good e/w

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-2.2mm-wire-basket-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-156

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1434560440|3890352 said:
pearaffair|1434558586|3890330 said:

I'd ask if they could make this with tab prongs. I think it would look really good e/w

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-2.2mm-wire-basket-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-156

They can mount the stone E/W? Cool! I never even thought of asking. Thanks!!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Update:

James Allen can DEFINITELY mount the EC in an E/W format. They can also do custom prongs but it's a small extra fee.

This has given me a lot of goodness to think about!! :D :mrgreen:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair|1434564934|3890404 said:
Niel and others - what do you think of this mount?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-cathedral-reverse-tapered-diamond-engagement-ring-item-2125

But picture it with an E/W emerald cut around 0.75ct, and tab prongs :D

I was thinking that the reverse-tapered shank would sit nicely next to my wedding band, because my wedding band is wider at the top than the bottom.

For e/w emerald cuts I really prefer a basket to just a peg prong set. This why I prefer the one I posted. However, they do custom work, ask them to quote you the shank you like with a basket head and tab prongs. They're very reasonable

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought you'd like to see this. It's that stoneni posted (so about a .75 ct stone) on a 4.5 finger

screenshot_2015-06-17-14-52-15_1.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Won't the doughnut on either JA settings cause the band not to sit flush? Or is that not a concern with an E/W emerald?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth|1434568520|3890434 said:
Won't the doughnut on either JA settings cause the band not to sit flush? Or is that not a concern with an E/W emerald?

I don't see it as a major concern. The stone is less than 5mm wide, it may have a slight gap but what, it'll be centered over a 2 + mm shank, so on either side it'll have a, what 1.5mm amout of emerald cut that hands over?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Niel|1434568690|3890438 said:

I don't see it as a major concern. The stone is less than 5mm wide, it may have a slight gap but what, it'll be centered over a 2 + mm shank, so on either side it'll have a, what 1.5mm amout of emerald cut that hands over?

Okay, I just thought the original question was how to get a ring that would sit flush with the OP's band. :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, its mentioned in her first post, and in a later post she indicates she may not be too concerned about it. :))

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth|1434569611|3890445 said:
Niel|1434568690|3890438 said:

Okay, I just thought the original question was how to get a ring that would sit flush with the OP's band. :))

You are a gem!

I keep changing my story, don't I... hmm.

I think I'm ok with a small gap, if soldering the rings together still looks good and works.

I think combining the band of the one ring with the basket of the other might be cool. I like the flexibility of James Allen, but maybe I should just find a local goldsmith who can do a custom job? I dunno.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1434567318|3890426 said:
I thought you'd like to see this. It's that stoneni posted (so about a .75 ct stone) on a 4.5 finger

"For e/w emerald cuts I really prefer a basket to just a peg prong set. This why I prefer the one I posted. However, they do custom work, ask them to quote you the shank you like with a basket head and tab prongs. They're very reasonable"

I love that photo!!!!!

Yes, I think I will have to explore the option that you describe. That sounds pretty beautiful :dance:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair|1434571886|3890467 said:

"For e/w emerald cuts I really prefer a basket to just a peg prong set. This why I prefer the one I posted. However, they do custom work, ask them to quote you the shank you like with a basket head and tab prongs. They're very reasonable"

I love that photo!!!!!

Yes, I think I will have to explore the option that you describe. That sounds pretty beautiful :dance:

You can always get local quotes too! See what's around.
What you want to make sure of if you go that route is ....
See examples of their work
Will they set outside stones
What happens if you don't like it
What happens if they damage your stone (the answer is most likely they won't do anything so make sure you insure it)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1434572507|3890474 said:
pearaffair|1434571886|3890467 said:

I love that photo!!!!!

You can always get local quotes too! See what's around.
What you want to make sure of if you go that route is ....
See examples of their work
Will they set outside stones
What happens if you don't like it
What happens if they damage your stone (the answer is most likely they won't do anything so make sure you insure it)

Great information!

Thanks for the tips; I can tell you're experienced! I really appreciate all of this wisdom 8)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

One other thing to consider if you'll be soldering the two rings together is the sizing. Depending on the width of the two rings together, you will probably need to size up a bit on either or both of them because it will be more difficult to get a wide set over your knuckle. This is one reason I didn't solder my rings (I need them sized pretty small so they don't spin while still being able to get them over my chunkier knuckles), and because I knew I wanted to have options for stacking with different rings and wear my band on its own sometimes (like when traveling). I also knew I wanted to upgrade someday. :naughty:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth said:
One other thing to consider if you'll be soldering the two rings together is the sizing. Depending on the width of the two rings together, you will probably need to size up a bit on either or both of them because it will be more difficult to get a wide set over your knuckle. This is one reason I didn't solder my rings (I need them sized pretty small so they don't spin while still being able to get them over my chunkier knuckles), and because I knew I wanted to have options for stacking with different rings and wear my band on its own sometimes (like when traveling). I also knew I wanted to upgrade someday. :naughty:

My wedding band is probably 1/4 size too loose right now... Which is good, then, yes?

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

Hello,

I'd like to see more pics of vintage e/w emerald cuts. I love the one with the baguette band that goes with it. You could definitely do a thin Blake Lively/megesaurus-type in there. Maybe start with the thin one, then stack the costlier one for an anniversary?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results