shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names and Do you think of them regardless of if you want kids?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Ever since meeting FF, I''m stuck on using his middle name, Joel. I just love it! And coincidently, in keeping with the Nicole Richie/Joel Madden thing,
3.gif
I love their baby''s middle name Wynter. Wynter Rose. FF likes Trinity Rain. A little too gothic/hippy-ish for me.
9.gif
I think we''re in for a good time when the time comes to actually pick names!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
LOL! My sister totally stole my boy''s name. It''s okay though, my husband didn''t like it. I was stuck on Liam for a boy.
1.gif

Now we''ve got:

Kathryn Elizabeth for a girl

Michael ___________
or James Michael for a boy

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I used to have a list a mile long of baby names, but when I got pregnant Dh and I could not agree! Thank goodness we had a girl (had a couple we agreed on to chose from) and we agreed on her name: Tayva. The only boy name we agree on is Kade and if we have another girl she''ll either be Makenna or Makinnley. I also like Kyler, Bryson and Trenton for a boy but DH hates them all.
2.gif
9.gif

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 2:03:07 PM
Author: Burk
I used to have a list a mile long of baby names, but when I got pregnant Dh and I could not agree! Thank goodness we had a girl (had a couple we agreed on to chose from) and we agreed on her name: Tayva. The only boy name we agree on is Kade and if we have another girl she''ll either be Makenna or Makinnley. I also like Kyler, Bryson and Trenton for a boy but DH hates them all.
2.gif
9.gif
i
30.gif
those names!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I'm like many of you who have had a list for a while even though we're not TTC.

Some of my favourites for a boy are:

Sebastian (family name)
Lucas (family name)
Nolan
Noah (FI doesn't like)
Nathaniel (can you tell I like the 'Ns'?)
Owen
Evan
Loren (for boy or girl - deviation of family name)
Isaac

Favourites for a girl:

Ava (our monogram initials)
Olivia
Chloe
Lola
Micah
Scarlett (FI's favourite until the actress became popular)
Amelia

frillylace

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 12:41:26 PM
Author: elrohwen
ETA: Hopefully we can pick names that are not super popular for that year. I was always in school (elementary, high school, and college) with at least 2 other girls who shared my name, Laura, or a version of it (Lauren, Laurie, etc) and I got so sick of being Laura Last-Initial
14.gif

On the good side now days people are choosing more names than before. So even if you pick the most popular name it will be no where as popular as the Jennifer's of our age were. So instead of there being dozens of the most popular name, there will be only a few with the same name. I've looked at the statistics because one of my favorite names (Emily) is number 1 on the chart but if you look at the percentage and number of Emily's being born now compared to the individual percentages and numbers of each of the top 10 names from the years I was born you will see the figures are much less. An Emily born today will not be anywhere as common as a Jennifer born in 1980.

Here are the figures of the most popular names in numbers based on Social Security stats:

In 2007 there were 19,105 babies named Emily

In 1980 there were 58,362 babies named Jennifer

That is three times as many Jennifers born in 1980 than the Emiliy's born last year. So if you want to name your child Emily or another popular name they are not going to have as many classmates with the same name as the people with popular names in our generation had.

People are also choosing so many other names now too. The spectrum of names has expanded!!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I like having a first name I can shorten and I prefer my shortened name over my longer, more formal one. But I do like the option of both, especially when I'm meeting someone new. I always try to use my longer name in these situations 'cause people always either comment it's a 'boy's name or mishear what I say and call me Alice, which annoys the crap out of me.
14.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have about five names we like for future children... 2 favorites, one for each gender
1.gif
We don't utter them to anyone, as three of our names have already been "stolen" by friends and family.

I used to REALLY want to use Charlotte (Charlie), and then one of my friends used it this past summer. The chances of us staying close are not high so I might have used it anyhow, but I babysat for her a couple of times and this SCREAMING UNHAPPY CHILD totally ruined the name for me. I was a little bitter, but my husband prefers some of our other choices anyway.

Also "stolen": Aidan and Ethan.
39.gif
3.gif
Our other faves are much less common (On the 2007 SSA list: Charlotte #102, Aidan #54, Ethan #3), though so here's hoping they can remain on our list!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Musey - There are a few names I would LOVE if they weren''t associated with unhappy people and/or kids.
14.gif

I flat out told my sister that she could not, under any circumstances, even consider naming a girl Kathryn, or Katie, or Kate, or anything even remotely close, LOL!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i bet in the next ten years edward will be a popular name simply because of the twilight series and all the teens that read it :)

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 12:41:26 PM
I absolutely love the name Emma, but FI hates it ... so, I''m sure long discussions will have to happen someday. I like James for a boy, but FSIL is dating a James and is likely to get engaged. Even if they break up, it might be weird to have a James in the family. So having to rethink that too!

I dated an Ian when my sister got engaged and guess what they named their first little boy! haha, it''s not weird at all actually, at least not for us :)

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 3:37:22 PM
Author: geckodani
Musey - There are a few names I would LOVE if they weren''t associated with unhappy people and/or kids.
14.gif

I flat out told my sister that she could not, under any circumstances, even consider naming a girl Kathryn, or Katie, or Kate, or anything even remotely close, LOL!

HEY! THOSE ARE MY NAMES!!!

My name is Kathryn, everyone calls me Katie, and my parents call me Kate (as do some of my closest aunts and uncles)...

haha and my mom says I was the best baby- never cried. On the other hand, I used to LOVE the name LILY until this girl at my daycare was SOOOOOOOOO whiney and now I can''t stand the name, so I feel ya!

BTW I love my name!
3.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 7:20:49 PM
Author: purselover
fun thread!

I want to adopt a girl and name her Kensington (Kensie for short) Sunshine (I know I know the middle name''s a litte....unique, but I like it!)

I also like:

Mackenzie

and Isabel/Isabella
5.gif

Purselover - I love Sunshine for a middle name!! My favorite middle name for a girl right now is Soleil (sun in french). We''ll see. I also LOVE for middle names:
Valentina
Haven
Eden
Nova
Neve

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 3:37:22 PM
My grandmother forbade my mother from naming me Katherine (Katie). She apparently knew someone she didn''t like with that name. They ended up choosing something REALLY uncommon that has a sort of similar sound... I was soooo glad that that was forced upon them because there were at LEAST 3 Katies in every class/club/activity I was involved in growing up! It was a really popular name in the mid-80s I guess.

On the flip-side of that common vs. rare debate, I''m so used to having a rare name that whenever I do meet or hear about someone who has it, a little territorial part of me gets quite annoyed
3.gif
(whereas the Katies I know have told me they don''t care if they share a name with 10 or 10 million other people!).

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 11:40:19 AM
Author: neatfreak
I always filed away names I heard that I liked even before I was preggers. But suffice it to say we didn''t end up using any of them! It''s very hard to agree on baby names with your husband!

I told DH what names I wanted, but he doesn''t like any of them. I''ve decided that if I ever have children I plan to either hide the pregnancy from DH until I bring the kid home, or wait until he''s out of the room and get the kid a birth certificate. Clearly, I''m very rational and even keeled about the names I like
2.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girl names:
Avery
Claire
Rika

Boy names:
Harper
Hopkins
Avery

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 3:23:17 PM
Author: musey
We have about five names we like for future children... 2 favorites, one for each gender
1.gif
We don''t utter them to anyone, as three of our names have already been ''stolen'' by friends and family.

I used to REALLY want to use Charlotte (Charlie), and then one of my friends used it this past summer. The chances of us staying close are not high so I might have used it anyhow, but I babysat for her a couple of times and this SCREAMING UNHAPPY CHILD totally ruined the name for me. I was a little bitter, but my husband prefers some of our other choices anyway.

Also ''stolen'': Aidan and Ethan.
39.gif
3.gif
Our other faves are much less common (On the 2007 SSA list: Charlotte #102, Aidan #54, Ethan #3), though so here''s hoping they can remain on our list!
That was my original plan for a baby girl too!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even named a dear hamster Charlotte/Charlie. A friend of mine named her daughter Charlie (not Charlotte) so I ditched that plan then... I still love it though!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
As I think about names I''m realizing that I''ve used all of my favorite names for pets over the years. I''ve had Emma, Rory, Sebastian, Oliver, Rowen ... how can I name my kid after a pet! Haha. I really love Rory for either a girl or a boy, but how could I tell my future child that they were named after a gerbil?

Frillylace, that''s so good to know! I tend to like more traditional names as opposed to super unique ones, and I was worried my kids would go through what I went through. The worst was being Laura #1, 2, or 3. Haha.

Musey, I really like Ethan! I''m hoping it''s not as popular when I''m ready for kids.

Smurfy, that''s funny that the same thing happened in your family! If James did end up being my kid''s uncle he would be the only uncle, so I still think I would feel a bit weird ... but it''s good to know others have been through it and not thought twice. I can''t seem to pick names without thinking about people that I associate with those names and it''s like I want a name I don''t associate with anyone to give to my new kid. I should just stop meeting new people to keep my name options more open
41.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been thinking about this lately because my friend just picked her baby''s name! Before they knew the sex, I was running my guesses by her and it turns out we have very similar tastes in names! James, Caleb, Evan, Luke...but she just announced her daughter''s name, and I adore it! Addison Bailey. So pretty!

I have a lot of trouble with girls names, though, so thank goodness I''ve got lots of years until I need them.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 3:35:55 PM
Author: julabean

For boys, we have:
Edmund Peter (I can''t even begin to say how much I love the name Edmund. No one else is crazy about it but it''s not their child.) (And I know it seems I may be a tad obsessed with Chronicles of Narnia, but Peter is a family name on both sides and Edmund just happens to be a name from the book. Alas!)
Jacob William (Maybe. We like both names but hopefully we''ll have a boy and a girl and won''t need two boy names.)
I love Edmund!!! Hubby thinks that it doesn''t flow well with our last name though, so it may be out of the running. I''m still pushing for it though. We''re having a time with boys names right now.

Girl will probably be Virginia ______.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 9:03:18 PM
Author: IloveAsschers13
Woo hoo- I never post in this section, but I have my baby names picked out.. now I just have to get future hubby to agree to them:

Boys:
Oliver Matthew (matthew is my dad and brothers name)
Elliot Marcus or something... not sure yet
Oscar

Girls:
Eloise- bf already agreed to this one. Not sure the middle name because I want to incorporate family names, so I was thinking either Eloise Diana (my gmas name) or Eloise Nina (his gmas name)
Fiona- I love love love this name :)
Annalise
Amelia
Emma
Penelope
I'm with you on the girls' names IloveAsschers13 - I like Eloise, Penelope, Olivia, and Chloe. I also like Fatima, like the James Bond villain who could crush a guy between her legs! Ha-ha!

For a boy I like Nicholas.

LauraBabe08

Shiny_Rock
I used to love the name Anna Mae, but a crazy patient of mine is named that, so its totally out.

FI and me love the name Stella Mae for a girl. We don''t have a boy name picked out yet. We have a quite a long time before children, so no problem there.

It''s funny that when you''re growing up and you meet kids with certain names, you would normally never name them said name because you disliked that person or whatever. Like, for me, I would never name my girl Maya because I went to school with one that was a complete and utter dork, that I can VIVIDLY remember her getting her period in grade school all over the chair in front of me *gag* so.. that name is ruined for me. Same with guys I dated and their names. HECK NO.

Names I really like (and I''ve been thinking about this for years:

Girl:
Estella
Stella
Isabelle
Pepper (only slightly serious??)

Boy:
Jacob Hayden or
Hayden Jacob
Atticus Artimus (for my future rock star son)
Ezra Eros (for my future artistic painter son)
Sebastian (but that''s already taken)

Names the BF likes:
Octavius (sp?), Faustina (sp?), and about 50 million other names that sound like something out of D&D. The only one we agree on so far is Atticus (maybe Artimus too) because bf''s name starts with an A and is equally as weird. Our poor children are going to have the longest last names coupled with these strange first names and will probably be loners with black eyeliner because it took them until 5th grade to learn how to spell their 600 character name...
28.gif

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
We have a few names picked:

Ethan Thomas J
Aiden Mark J
Antoinette (blank) J

For the life of us we can''t think of a middle name to go with Antoinette.. any idea''s? I think Elizabeth sounds lovely but I really love that name and if we are blessed enough to have more than one little girl I wouldn''t want to reuse a name
3.gif

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Neat I thought your name was a shortened version of something...maybe I was confuddled?

Anywho:
Girl name - Sophia Rae

Boy name - Edward Alexander (the names of Fi deceased grandfather and my own deceased grandfather) although Edward Alexander R (our last name) his initials will be EAR so we might need to rething that one.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 8:59:14 AM
Author: AllieLuv83
Neat I thought your name was a shortened version of something...maybe I was confuddled?

Hehe, case in point even my good friends don''t know what my "legal" name is vs. what my name is technically short for. You are right in that technically it is short for the longer name you are thinking of. But legally, it''s just the short name. I think in college I used the longer version as a screenname on AOL maybe? So that''s probably where I confused you.
1.gif

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh I gotcha!!! Your name is whimsical short or long, legal or AOL screenname and I love that it rhymes with the job title of a person working at a certain coffee chain!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 6:26:47 PM
As I think about names I''m realizing that I''ve used all of my favorite names for pets over the years. I''ve had Emma, Rory, Sebastian, Oliver, Rowen ... how can I name my kid after a pet! Haha. I really love Rory for either a girl or a boy, but how could I tell my future child that they were named after a gerbil?

On the topic of Rory. I LOVE Rory. I have ''aurora'' on my girl list which could become Rory...(DH not sold).
And our Top boy name (shhhhhhh a secret for now) can also be pet named Rory.

Win win either way
2.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 8:35:47 PM
Author: starryeyed

Date: 12/9/2008 9:03:18 PM
Author: IloveAsschers13
Woo hoo- I never post in this section, but I have my baby names picked out.. now I just have to get future hubby to agree to them:

Boys:
Oliver Matthew (matthew is my dad and brothers name)
Elliot Marcus or something... not sure yet
Oscar

Girls:
Eloise- bf already agreed to this one. Not sure the middle name because I want to incorporate family names, so I was thinking either Eloise Diana (my gmas name) or Eloise Nina (his gmas name)
Fiona- I love love love this name :)
Annalise
Amelia
Emma
Penelope
I''m with you on the girls'' names IloveAsschers13 - I like Eloise, Penelope, Olivia, and Chloe. I also like Fatima, like the James Bond villain who could crush a guy between her legs! Ha-ha!

For a boy I like Nicholas.
Starryeyed, be careful with Fatima because the obvious nickname is Fatty. I had a friend in college named Fatima and her nickname was Fatty (she told us to call her that, we didn''t come up with it). She never minded it, but it was kind of awkward to call her that in front of people who didn''t know us. They all thought we were making fun of her (even though she was skinny)
3.gif
Other than the awkward nickname I think it''s beautiful
9.gif

buttercup80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 12:54:02 PM

Kathryn Elizabeth for a girl

That''s my college roommate''s name - even spelled the same!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results