shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names and Do you think of them regardless of if you want kids?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

frillylace

Rough_Rock
I''m not even planning on having kids but I still think about hypothetical names. Anyone else like that? I''d love to hear everyone''s potential baby''s names would be.

Mine:

For a girl:
Madeline Rose
Bridgette Ann

For a boy:
Samuel Lee
David Nathaniel (Nathaniel is a family name)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always filed away names I heard that I liked even before I was preggers. But suffice it to say we didn't end up using any of them! It's very hard to agree on baby names with your husband!

Ours ended up being:

Dexter Aidan and Maxwell Elliot.

Madeline and Lily were our girl names but we never got far enough to think of middle names because we found out we were having boys.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I too have kept a babyname list for years. And like Neat said, it''s been challenging to "agree" with DH.

so, as of right now, we have lots of ''maybe''s'' but no slam-dunks yet. Now I''m about to confess something that doesn''t seem rational. Sometimes, I feel hesitant to "disclose" my names to the world because I''m so scared that they will become so popular that I''ll stop loving them. I know it''s irrational, because some names will "take off" whether I vocalize them or not.

That said, we''re tying to pick names that are not toooo common
2.gif
. Our challenge has always been that our Italian family members have to be able to pronounce them without completely butchering the name. A lot of names get veto''d for this reason.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I always had lists of names - even though I was NEVER having children!

Before I met DH I really like Flora for a girl and Montagu (old family name) or Bertie (Betrand) for a boy. Long before that I liked Emily and Kiara for a girl and James or William for a boy.

I still love both of them, but DH was at university with a Flora he didn't like and he hates Bertie.
7.gif

DH liked Claire, Catherine, Mark and Matthew - I wasn't fussed on any of them.

Also, some names sound awful with some surnames.

We find out whether it's a boy or a girl on January 6th and the choices are:

Girl: Daisy Pandora

Boy: Edward John - if it's a boy we will call him 'Bear' for short as I don't like Ed, Eddie, Ted, Teddy etc.

I've always liked quite classic traditional names, so they were always likely to be popular. My only worry was NOT telling family members and them getting swiped in the meantime.

After I declared my names off the market, my brother has claimed rights over 'Montagu' and my youngest sister over 'Violet'. LOL, the family rows it can cause are great!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2008 12:15:57 PM
Author: Pandora II
I always had lists of names - even though I was NEVER having children!

Before I met DH I really like Flora for a girl and Montagu (old family name) or Bertie (Betrand) for a boy. Long before that I liked Emily and Kiara for a girl and James or William for a boy.

I still love both of them, but DH was at university with a Flora he didn''t like and he hates Bertie.
7.gif

DH liked Claire, Catherine, Mark and Matthew - I wasn''t fussed on any of them.

Also, some names sound awful with some surnames.

We find out whether it''s a boy or a girl on January 6th and the choices are:

Girl: Daisy Pandora

Boy: Edward John - if it''s a boy we will call him ''Bear'' for short as I don''t like Ed, Eddie, Ted, Teddy etc.

I''ve always liked quite classic traditional names, so they were always likely to be popular. My only worry was NOT telling family members and them getting swiped in the meantime.

After I declared my names off the market, my brother has claimed rights over ''Montagu'' and my youngest sister over ''Violet''. LOL, the family rows it can cause are great!
I love the name Daisy Pandora!!!

Willow is my favorite girl name, but hubby seems rather against it!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
We are currently TTC and have some names we like:

Girl:
Olivia Rose

Boy:
Michael Thomas

We both like traditional names so I''m glad we agree there. We have not thought past 1 name of each gender. Here''s to hoping we actually get the use them soon!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love the name Emma, but FI hates it ... so, I'm sure long discussions will have to happen someday. I like James for a boy, but FSIL is dating a James and is likely to get engaged. Even if they break up, it might be weird to have a James in the family. So having to rethink that too!

I liked my parents' policy of no names that will definitely be shortened. They hate their full names and have always gone by the common shortened versions, plus FI goes by the short version of his name, so I see the value in having a name not easily shortened. Cute nicknames within the family are great, but I'd prefer to like my kids' full name and use that in everyday life. For example, I love the name Kate, so I would just name my daughter Kate rather than something longer that would be shortened to Kate.

I haven't even thought of middle names ... for a boy it would probably be FI's father's first name, Douglas, since he passed away a few years ago. Other than that I have no idea.

ETA: Hopefully we can pick names that are not super popular for that year. I was always in school (elementary, high school, and college) with at least 2 other girls who shared my name, Laura, or a version of it (Lauren, Laurie, etc) and I got so sick of being Laura Last-Initial
14.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 12:41:26 PM
Author: elrohwen
I liked my parents'' policy of no names that will definitely be shortened. They hate their full names and have always gone by the common shortened versions, plus FI goes by the short version of his name, so I see the value in having a name not easily shortened. Cute nicknames within the family are great, but I''d prefer to like my kids'' full name and use that in everyday life. For example, I love the name Kate, so I would just name my daughter Kate rather than something longer that would be shortened to Kate.

Another perspective on that, as someone who was named a shortened version of a name I have spent probably hours of my life trying to explain that it isn''t short for anything, yes that''s my real name, etc. I would have liked the option to be called my full name...just another viewpoint on it!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oh, DH and I have been trying to come up with names since we got engaged...and children are a long way off for us.

We agreed on Elise for a girl pretty much right away. Right now we like Cal for a boy. Middle names will be our grandmothers'' maiden names - my grandmother''s is first, and if we have a second, his grandmother''s. We don''t want more than two children, so I feel like it''s important to have a backup names - these we can never agree on. I like Maeve for a girl and Ben for a boy, but DH isn''t sold on either.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I always said that if If had a girl her name would be Grace Elizabeth. I delivered a healthy boy on July 2 and his name is James Emerson. James is sort of a family name and we found Emerson in a baby name book. We are planning to TTC when James is about a year old and Grace Elizabeth still stands for a girl and we like Garrison Henry or Gabriel Henry for a boy.

I also like:

Olivia
Madison
Ava
Avery
Henry
Gavin
Robert
Timothy

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I have kept a list of names since my sophomore year of HS! I even write down names that I find interesting, whether or not I like them right now or not. All of my friends ask me to send them my list when they or a family member gets pregnant, and I used to send it out all the time until I realized people kept using all of my favorites! However, FF doesn''t tend to like most of the ones I do- but I''m working on him!

My favorites right now (they tend to change weekly) are Cecilia Marian (Celia for short, Marian is my beloved Grandma) for a girl, and Jude Parker for a boy (Parker is a family name). If you had told me last year that I would love those names now I would have laughed in your face! Now I think they are different without being weird
1.gif

I can tell I''m going to love this thread...
36.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love the name Emma, but FI hates it ... so, I''m sure long discussions will have to happen someday. I like James for a boy, but FSIL is dating a James and is likely to get engaged. Even if they break up, it might be weird to have a James in the family. So having to rethink that too!

I liked my parents'' policy of no names that will definitely be shortened. They hate their full names and have always gone by the common shortened versions, plus FI goes by the short version of his name, so I see the value in having a name not easily shortened. Cute nicknames within the family are great, but I''d prefer to like my kids'' full name and use that in everyday life. For example, I love the name Kate, so I would just name my daughter Kate rather than something longer that would be shortened to Kate.

I haven''t even thought of middle names ... for a boy it would probably be FI''s father''s first name, Douglas, since he passed away a few years ago. Other than that I have no idea.

ETA: Hopefully we can pick names that are not super popular for that year. I was always in school (elementary, high school, and college) with at least 2 other girls who shared my name, Laura, or a version of it (Lauren, Laurie, etc) and I got so sick of being Laura Last-Initial
14.gif
My son James has an Uncle James! Uncle James has always gone by Jim so it''s not really an issue for us.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 12:55:24 PM
Author: neatfreak

Another perspective on that, as someone who was named a shortened version of a name I have spent probably hours of my life trying to explain that it isn''t short for anything, yes that''s my real name, etc. I would have liked the option to be called my full name...just another viewpoint on it!

I''ll chime in here too. My name is long, but I have always gone by my nickname. However, I LOVE having the option of using my full name when I choose to for more formal/professional reasons. My SIL is named Jenny. Just Jenny. She HATES it because people always ask or assume that its Jennifer. She wishes it was. To each their own though
1.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

I liked my parents' policy of no names that will definitely be shortened. They hate their full names and have always gone by the common shortened versions, plus FI goes by the short version of his name, so I see the value in having a name not easily shortened. Cute nicknames within the family are great, but I'd prefer to like my kids' full name and use that in everyday life. For example, I love the name Kate, so I would just name my daughter Kate rather than something longer that would be shortened to Kate.

Another perspective on that, as someone who was named a shortened version of a name I have spent probably hours of my life trying to explain that it isn't short for anything, yes that's my real name, etc. I would have liked the option to be called my full name...just another viewpoint on it!
Good point Neat. I guess that's why my parents just picked a name for me that can't be shortened in any way and isn't short for anything else. Haha.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 2:12:20 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007

I absolutely love the name Emma, but FI hates it ... so, I''m sure long discussions will have to happen someday. I like James for a boy, but FSIL is dating a James and is likely to get engaged. Even if they break up, it might be weird to have a James in the family. So having to rethink that too!

I haven''t even thought of middle names ... for a boy it would probably be FI''s father''s first name, Douglas, since he passed away a few years ago. Other than that I have no idea.

14.gif
My son James has an Uncle James! Uncle James has always gone by Jim so it''s not really an issue for us.
DivaDiamond, it''s really not weird? That''s good to know! Though it would be his only uncle ... so I dunno! I guess FI might hate the name anyway and then it''s a moot point
3.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 2:13:40 PM
Author: GoingCrazy29

I''ll chime in here too. My name is long, but I have always gone by my nickname. However, I LOVE having the option of using my full name when I choose to for more formal/professional reasons. My SIL is named Jenny. Just Jenny. She HATES it because people always ask or assume that its Jennifer. She wishes it was. To each their own though
1.gif
That''s so funny that everyone here likes having full names. My parents absolutely hate theirs and never ever use them (they sign checks with their nicknames and have them on credit cards). FI doesn''t really care about using his nickname or full name, but I get annoyed for him when people who don''t know him start calling him by his full name that he never uses. I want to correct them and tell them to use the nickname, but that would be rude so I don''t
3.gif

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
My FI refuses to call me Court... he actually calls me by my first and middle name Courtney Beth.

i love the name Lillian for a girl and Jackson for a boy....i am secretly hoping that i have a boy. i want him to look just like my adorable FI!!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 11:40:19 AM
Ours ended up being:

Madeline and Lily were our girl names but we never got far enough to think of middle names because we found out we were having boys.

Neat, great minds think alike! Our girl name is Lily (full name Lillian though) and our boy name is Max (full name Maximus though).

DH and I have been talking about baby names since before we were engaged. I think the first time was actually on the way to the beach on the day he proposed. I swear it seemed like we had a ton we liked when we had no baby on the way to use them for.

julabean

Shiny_Rock
I am definitely not in the baby business for at least 4-5 years, but all of DH''s friends are having kids, so we''ve been talking about baby names quite a bit lately. Most of the girl names I like only get a "meh" response from DH. I fear I''m in for a long haul of suggesting name after name and then ending up with the only one he doesn''t say "meh" to!

For boys, we have:
Edmund Peter (I can''t even begin to say how much I love the name Edmund. No one else is crazy about it but it''s not their child.) (And I know it seems I may be a tad obsessed with Chronicles of Narnia, but Peter is a family name on both sides and Edmund just happens to be a name from the book. Alas!)
Jacob William (Maybe. We like both names but hopefully we''ll have a boy and a girl and won''t need two boy names.)

For girls, we can only agree on:
Charlotte Beth

I also love the girl names:
Felicity
Mahalia (Hallie)
Ada (too close to my niece''s name, though)
Addison
Ainsley
Isabella/Isabelle/Bella (DH does like this one, too, but I kind of want a beagle named Bella the Beagle, so that may be ruled out by the time we get around to having kids.)

DH likes Emma, Olivia, Sophia, Sarah, and Elizabeth. I think they''re all too common.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember making a list in high school but never really thought about it until I was preggo. "Tessa" was never on the list but I love the name just the same.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
oh Julabean - Felicity is on MY list but DH Veto''d it
7.gif

Robbie - I agree. Before we were preggo, the names were all "yah, that''s nice..." but now that it''s ''real'' the veto-game has begun!
11.gif

His current favorite for a boy is, Santino (Sonny). Oy!
38.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
We're probably not having kids, but we've had a few convos about names. We both like Fiona Grace for a girl. I also like classic names like Hannah or Anne (my middle name). I haven't thought of as many boy's names but I do like Alec Daniel.

Oddly, it's really only when I'm thinking about names that I get anything resembling an "urge" to have kids. Maybe I should get another cat instead.
9.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I am not pregnant but I hope to have kids in the next few years! I always think about baby names but my tastes have changed drastically since high school! In high school, I was really into ''different names'' like Tristan (which is not so different anymore and I still like), Sunday and Rage (?!?!?).

These days I love the name Abigail (Abby for short) and BF likes Tessa, which I think is cute and would be perfect for a middle name. A 2nd middle name would be after my grandma, Shui-Lan.

For boys, I like the names Max, Alex and Milo.
1.gif

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 4:01:48 PM
Author: sammyj
I am not pregnant but I hope to have kids in the next few years! I always think about baby names but my tastes have changed drastically since high school! In high school, I was really into ''different names'' like Tristan (which is not so different anymore and I still like), Sunday and Rage (?!?!?).

These days I love the name Abigail (Abby for short) and BF likes Tessa, which I think is cute and would be perfect for a middle name. A 2nd middle name would be after my grandma, Shui-Lan.

For boys, I like the names Max, Alex and Milo.
1.gif
Now THAT is a name i have never heard of! thank goodness you did not have a baby in high school!! Abigail is a beautiful name!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Even though I''m not sure if I would like kids at this point, I still have the names just in case
9.gif

For a girl, I love:
Charlotte
Chloe
Grace
Lily
Elena (my middle name
3.gif
)

And I''m fussy with boys names and the only two that I like at the moment are:
Jack
Darragh

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Girl: Avery Elise
Indira Lucia
Boy: Isaiah
Adonis

9.gif

But I don''t plan to have kids, and if I do, I plan to adopt. They will probably have names. *Shrug*

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 2:35:50 PM
Author: robbie3982
Date: 12/9/2008 11:40:19 AM

Ours ended up being:

Neat, great minds think alike! Our girl name is Lily (full name Lillian though) and our boy name is Max (full name Maximus though).

DH and I have been talking about baby names since before we were engaged. I think the first time was actually on the way to the beach on the day he proposed. I swear it seemed like we had a ton we liked when we had no baby on the way to use them for.

Good choices Robbie! Great minds think alike.
1.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
LOL--I had a conversation with my best friend that went something like this:

Her: I can't wait until we start having kids.
Me: You're going to laugh at me when I tell you what my favorite boy name is.
Her: What?
Me: Alistair
Her: NO! That's MY favorite boy name!
Me: Well you can't have it! I called it first!

*rolls eyes* I think we're just weird. K and I haven't talked about it too much yet, but I'm sure we will before we have kids.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
fun thread!

I want to adopt a girl and name her Kensington (Kensie for short) Sunshine (I know I know the middle name''s a litte....unique, but I like it!)

I also like:

Mackenzie
and Isabel/Isabella

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Woo hoo- I never post in this section, but I have my baby names picked out.. now I just have to get future hubby to agree to them:

Boys:

Oliver Matthew (matthew is my dad and brothers name)
Elliot Marcus or something... not sure yet
Oscar

Girls:

Eloise- bf already agreed to this one. Not sure the middle name because I want to incorporate family names, so I was thinking either Eloise Diana (my gmas name) or Eloise Nina (his gmas name)
Fiona- I love love love this name :)
Annalise
Amelia
Emma
Penelope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results