shape
carat
color
clarity

AVCs and finger coverage

mmi

Shiny_Rock
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to diamond cuts other than RBs. I was browsing GOG for fun the other day and FELL IN LOVE with AVCs. What I really like about them is that they look lovely in a lower color, and you can use the money you save with the color to increase the carat weight! With our preliminary budget, we might be able to afford a 1.1ish L or M colored AVC. The main concern I have is with finger coverage. I have a size 7 finger... ;( How do cushions (AVCs in particular) measure up with other cuts in terms of how they face up? Are some cushions cut too deep, is that something I should be looking out for?

Do you get good value per square footage with AVCs? :Up_to_something:

Thank you!

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Hi mmi. I too fell in love with the AVC's and just recently purchased one. Have you checked out Dreamer's thread about comparing the AVC to her similiar sized Round. There is a lot of good information there. I have a size 6.25-6.5 finger and the AVC I purchased is a 1.66 ct - a little larger than you are looking at, but it seems huge on my finger - that is probably because I am used to my old .5 ct. marquise diamond.

If you go for the AVC do you have any idea how you would plan to have it set? There are some beautiful AVC's in halos here on PriceScope - that would definitely give you the finger coverage you are looking for.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
In comparing to a RB- they gave up smaller.... BUT dine you are going a lower color AVC you are more likely to afford a largerbstone than you could have with a higher color in another cut like RB. A halo is a great way to increase the finger coverage and there are toms of stunning AVCs in halos if you look at the AVC thread :)

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ion-compared-to-a-bgd-round-brilliant.165243/

Dreamer just got an AVC and has around your finger size. She compares the AVC to her RB of a similar size.

However, cushions generally face up shallower than RBs of an equivalent carat weight due to the depth of cushion cut. A halo would be a great way to maximize overall visual size, however they usually are pricey and may take away from the budget for your stone.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an AVC too, and believe me it is all in the setting. I have 1.43, and had it set in a temporary setting with a shank that was about 3mm wide, and the stone blended right in and made it look smaller. Then I had it reset into a setting with a MUCH thinner shank, and it really pops now! I also think the halo is a great option if you can swing it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the width across your finger actually covered will be smaller but the actual area of the diamond is comparable.

I would get whatever shape you love :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results