shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC moissanite & LGD comparison- which is which?

GucciGirl13

Rough_Rock
Was there any particular reason for choosing the LGD over the moissanite? The moissanite flashes in the sunlight video were dazzling, I'm curious as to what gave the LGD the edge.

The stone will be set in a ring for our 10yr anniversary so I think having it be “diamond “ vs moissanite is a bit of a mental thing for me. Plus the LGD is clearer in certain light. The DG stone is beautiful, but because I’ve always DREAMED of having an AVC diamond this LGD comes closest to what I can get at the moment in the antique look. Plus, the # 3.19 has personal significance to me (hubby’s bday)

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
The stone will be set in a ring for our 10yr anniversary so I think having it be “diamond “ vs moissanite is a bit of a mental thing for me. Plus the LGD is clearer in certain light. The DG stone is beautiful, but because I’ve always DREAMED of having an AVC diamond this LGD comes closest to what I can get at the moment in the antique look. Plus, the # 3.19 has personal significance to me (hubby’s bday)

Thanks, I can totally understand the diamond v moissanite thinking. Also interesting to hear that the LGD is clearer in certain light. An AVC is on my list too. Congrats on your forthcoming anniversary; your ring will be stunning.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input! Most of you guessed correctly and Stone A is the LGD. I’ve added another link to video comparisons here which shows the AVC moissanite throwing some serious rainbow flashes outside.

Both stones are gorgeous & while I’m happy I ordered both to compare, I’ll be keeping the LGD ☺️

Both are so gorgeous! I agree that I diamonds "clearer" in certain lights though the cut of both are so beautiful! Congrats on 10 years!! Looking forward to seeing how you set this beauty. Enjoy!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have chosen the LGD for the same reasons you mention, I think, even with the price difference. These kinds of purchases are not just logical, they are emotional, and diamond as a mineral holds a lot of deep cultural meaning that is not present for simulants like moissanite.

GucciGirl13

Rough_Rock
Both are so gorgeous! I agree that I diamonds "clearer" in certain lights though the cut of both are so beautiful! Congrats on 10 years!! Looking forward to seeing how you set this beauty. Enjoy!

Thank you ☺️

GucciGirl13

Rough_Rock
I would have chosen the LGD for the same reasons you mention, I think, even with the price difference. These kinds of purchases are not just logical, they are emotional, and diamond as a mineral holds a lot of deep cultural meaning that is not present for simulants like moissanite.

Exactly!! I have another antique/vintage 5 stone ring that is currently being finished with a vendor overseas & that one I chose moissanite. I bought it as a gift to myself & didn’t have the sentiment involved ‍♀️. I know I’d regret sending the LGD back, where I don’t feel the same attachment to the DG stone.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are both beautiful and this thread was fun. :)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Of course, the:
LGD via Ritani is a 3.19 carat, VVS2,
G color - IGI, Very good/EX/EX @ $4k.

The DG moissanite is 3.58 carat, VS, D/F color @$2k

Thanks for sharing. I was just curious what the differential was. Can't wait to see the finished ring!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Fun thread! I guessed right because of the rainbowy ness and also the facet pattern.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
This was really cool, I learned something as well. I actually found that I slightly preferred the moissanite in the end if I was just going in with no perceived mind clean or caveat knowledge. That was surprising to me! My eyeballs are apparently big fans of the boost to the pastel flash.
I think I'm going to need to acquire a ring in an old cut.
Huh, who knew?

I can't wait to see what your anniversary ring looks like finished and I love the significance of the carat weight.:love:
Please show us the five stone, too.

GucciGirl13

Rough_Rock
This was really cool, I learned something as well. I actually found that I slightly preferred the moissanite in the end if I was just going in with no perceived mind clean or caveat knowledge. That was surprising to me! My eyeballs are apparently big fans of the boost to the pastel flash.
I think I'm going to need to acquire a ring in an old cut.
Huh, who knew?

I can't wait to see what your anniversary ring looks like finished and I love the significance of the carat weight.:love:
Please show us the five stone, too.

And you’re not the only one, some people do prefer the moissanite over the diamond. They definitely do show more of those pastel flashes, which are gorgeous

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your anniversary and on choosing a pretty stone. Show pics when you get it set please!

It was nice to read people praising moissanite, too.

GucciGirl13

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your anniversary and on choosing a pretty stone. Show pics when you get it set please!

It was nice to read people praising moissanite, too.

Thank you! I’m still a little undecided how & who I will have set it. I will though

Lcorb

Rough_Rock
I know this thread is a few months old but how did you find an old mine cut on Ritani? What search parameters did you use?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this thread is a few months old but how did you find an old mine cut on Ritani? What search parameters did you use?

PS members helped PS members by telling us to search for cushion shaped diamonds and choose medium or large culet in the advanced search options. There were about a dozen or so available, then it was down to about 6 that ranged in price from 2 to 11k. Then one night between midnight and 6 a.m. all those remaining antique cushions except one vanished off the site as well as all the criss cross cuts that were available. It was very odd.

Lcorb

Rough_Rock
PS members helped PS members by telling us to search for cushion shaped diamonds and choose medium or large culet in the advanced search options. There were about a dozen or so available, then it was down to about 6 that ranged in price from 2 to 11k. Then one night between midnight and 6 a.m. all those remaining antique cushions except one vanished off the site as well as all the criss cross cuts that were available. It was very odd.

Thank you for the tips! I will check back frequently. Right now there are zero with any culets. I appreciate you sharing the info!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results