shape
carat
color
clarity

Australian PSer where is the best place to buy diamonds in Oz?

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I am almost certain that I am going to be purchasing a diamond solitaire from Whiteflash but I am still open to the idea of buying something locally if I can find a super ideal cut. Yesterday I had a bit of a blunder with an online purchase (not from any known vendors here) and now I'm dealing with returning/exchanging etc.

It really got me thinking about the what ifs and how annoying it would be if for what ever reason I had to send the ring back.

All this to say, are there any places in Australia that sell super ideals for a reasonable price? I've looked into Holloway Diamonds but sadly way out of my budget. Some places sell Hearts on Fire but again priced too high for me. Tiffany (not superideal I know) as we all knows is super super expensive.

Its so frustrating that it is more affordable for me to buy from the US with additional taxes and the poor exchange rate than it is to buy something half decent locally.

Fellow Aussie's, where did you buy from or where can you recommend? Is it possbile to get a super ideal here without taking out a second mortgage haha!!

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi - as an Aussie, for me after all the research, price checking etc, I went with WF - it was easy and my first big purchase on the internet, but I am so happy I went that way. now - if you are not in the market for a premium diamond then a local supplier will do but for the price and what you get it still was the best deal .. good luck

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in Australia too, and wouldn't hesitate to buy from WF again. I've returned diamonds overseas and it wasn't any more of a hassle than returning something via post within Aus.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Hi - as an Aussie, for me after all the research, price checking etc, I went with WF - it was easy and my first big purchase on the internet, but I am so happy I went that way. now - if you are not in the market for a premium diamond then a local supplier will do but for the price and what you get it still was the best deal .. good luck

Thanks for your input :) I really do have my heart set on a really high quality diamond so I think I will end up going with WF. With all my calculations nothing that I can get for by budget even compares.

I'm in Australia too, and wouldn't hesitate to buy from WF again. I've returned diamonds overseas and it wasn't any more of a hassle than returning something via post within Aus.

That's reassuring thank you!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have only bought diamonds from pawn brokers in Australia as the retail cost of diamonds is much more than anything you can buy overseas including tax and shipping (and poor exchange rates). I have bought from James Allen, Alex Park and Dajini (lab stone) so far, as well as ebay sellers.

If you're after a super ideal, then I'd go straight to Whiteflash. I don't think any retailer here has an upgrade policy like theirs.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I have only bought diamonds from pawn brokers in Australia as the retail cost of diamonds is much more than anything you can buy overseas including tax and shipping (and poor exchange rates). I have bought from James Allen, Alex Park and Dajini (lab stone) so far, as well as ebay sellers.

If you're after a super ideal, then I'd go straight to Whiteflash. I don't think any retailer here has an upgrade policy like theirs.

Yes I agree the upgrade policy is such a great bonus. I'm super curious about buying form pawn brokers, have you had some great finds? I wouldn't even know how to go about buying a diamond from a pawn broker.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I agree the upgrade policy is such a great bonus. I'm super curious about buying form pawn brokers, have you had some great finds? I wouldn't even know how to go about buying a diamond from a pawn broker.

It was a good starting point for me as I had a limited budget and just wanted to pop my one carat cherry so badly LOL I found a gorgeous champagne diamond solitaire for about $1500, which in retrospect was probably too much but it's now a lovely casual pendant and I used the 18K gold towards a ring I made when I bought a 2ct oval (from Alex Parks). There are definitely bargains to be had in a pawn shop but you have to research and be patient. Much of what brokers receive are average stuff in Australia (sorry to sound judgmental but usually people with very nice quality, larger stones don't need to pawn...) It's worth offering silly money to know where their profit line is. A bit of fun when you have spare time!

Oh! And police auctions are fun to see a lot of very nice jewellery but not cheap and the 20% hammer price on final bid price is ouch!

Rend

Rough_Rock
I am almost certain that I am going to be purchasing a diamond solitaire from Whiteflash but I am still open to the idea of buying something locally if I can find a super ideal cut. Yesterday I had a bit of a blunder with an online purchase (not from any known vendors here) and now I'm dealing with returning/exchanging etc.

It really got me thinking about the what ifs and how annoying it would be if for what ever reason I had to send the ring back.

All this to say, are there any places in Australia that sell super ideals for a reasonable price? I've looked into Holloway Diamonds but sadly way out of my budget. Some places sell Hearts on Fire but again priced too high for me. Tiffany (not superideal I know) as we all knows is super super expensive.

Its so frustrating that it is more affordable for me to buy from the US with additional taxes and the poor exchange rate than it is to buy something half decent locally.

Fellow Aussie's, where did you buy from or where can you recommend? Is it possbile to get a super ideal here without taking out a second mortgage haha!!

I bought from GoodoldGold and David has been fantastic! I should receive my diamond tomorrow,

Are you in Melbourne?

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
It was a good starting point for me as I had a limited budget and just wanted to pop my one carat cherry so badly LOL I found a gorgeous champagne diamond solitaire for about $1500, which in retrospect was probably too much but it's now a lovely casual pendant and I used the 18K gold towards a ring I made when I bought a 2ct oval (from Alex Parks). There are definitely bargains to be had in a pawn shop but you have to research and be patient. Much of what brokers receive are average stuff in Australia (sorry to sound judgmental but usually people with very nice quality, larger stones don't need to pawn...) It's worth offering silly money to know where their profit line is. A bit of fun when you have spare time!

Oh! And police auctions are fun to see a lot of very nice jewellery but not cheap and the 20% hammer price on final bid price is ouch!

Today just for fund I checked out the cash converters website. As expected pretty much everything was poor quality. A lot of Michael Hill rings and that kind of thing. BUT I was so shocked when I found this little beauty:

Haha never expected that!! I dont think they even know what and ACA is :lol:

Last edited:

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I bought from GoodoldGold and David has been fantastic! I should receive my diamond tomorrow,

Are you in Melbourne?

No Im in Sydney :) Thank you I willl check out Good Old Gold, I've heard good things about them! How exciting please post photos when it arrives!! Good Luck!

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Today just for fund I checked out the cash converters website. As expected pretty much everything was poor quality. A lot of Michael Hill rings and that kind of thing. BUT I was so shocked when I found this little beauty:

Haha never expected that!! I dont think they even know what and ACA is :lol:

Oh my goodness! Still overpriced, but it’s the last thing I’d expect to find at Cashies!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness! Still overpriced, but it’s the last thing I’d expect to find at Cashies!

I know right!!! As soon as I saw it I thought wait one second! So true, even our pawn shops are overpriced so ridiculous!! :wall::doh:

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I know right!!! As soon as I saw it I thought wait one second! So true, even our pawn shops are overpriced so ridiculous!! :wall::doh:

Ohhh... It's in my part of the world so might have to ogle it lol There are some big brands (Tiffany, Canturi etc,) that come in occasionally. They usually mark the price up at least 100% what they paid for it (if not more...). Always worth making a cheeky offer :D

But mostly things are just cheaper overseas lol

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh... It's in my part of the world so might have to ogle it lol There are some big brands (Tiffany, Canturi etc,) that come in occasionally. They usually mark the price up at least 100% what they paid for it (if not more...). Always worth making a cheeky offer :D

But mostly things are just cheaper overseas lol

Haha yes I'm so tempted to give them a ridiculous offer just for fun!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock

Apparently the sale is over so its back to its previous price: $16,950!! What a bargain, I better buy it before someone else snaps it up :lol:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Apparently the sale is over so its back to its previous price: $16,950!! What a bargain, I better buy it before someone else snaps it up :lol:

Lol! Lucky we all know better. But to think that some poor (or rich) soul will buy it at that price.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Lol! Lucky we all know better. But to think that some poor (or rich) soul will buy it at that price.

So true! It's pretty insane I'm tempted to send them a link to the exact same ring and diamond on WF and say never mind I found a better option :cool2:

I have to wonder do many people buy these super expensive rings from a place like cash converters? I mean if you have that amount to spend wouldn't you most likely go to a higher end jeweller?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
So true! It's pretty insane I'm tempted to send them a link to the exact same ring and diamond on WF and say never mind I found a better option :cool2:

I have to wonder do many people buy these super expensive rings from a place like cash converters? I mean if you have that amount to spend wouldn't you most likely go to a higher end jeweller?

Lol a high end jeweller maybe twice or three times the price? But yeah in terms of jewellery here in Australia, it's quite hard to get a bargain. All the nice things are in the US and works out cheaper despite the poor exchange rate and taxes.

SolitaireQueen

Rough_Rock
I’ve bought from Jogia Diamonds in Perth and am currently waiting on a solitaire from Diamond Exchange in Melbourne. Yogesh Jogia from Jogia was amazing to work with, especially if you are looking for a quality stone. WF is definitely a great option, I’m hoping that my next purchase for a diamond can be from WF - perhaps in person after COVID is over (if ever).

Rend

Rough_Rock
If you are in Sydney as a general comment I found prices of these local guys to be reasonable; Ananai Jewelers, Waldermar and Bill Hicks

I just met Jeoy from Jenny Bay diamonds, I already had diamond but her prices seem reasonable for a local jeweler

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
If you are in Sydney as a general comment I found prices of these local guys to be reasonable; Ananai Jewelers, Waldermar and Bill Hicks

I just met Jeoy from Jenny Bay diamonds, I already had diamond but her prices seem reasonable for a local jeweler

Thank you so much I will check them out :)

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a potential option given you’re considering WF anyway... you could buy the stone and have Alistair Kelsey do the setting? He does work with outside stones. That way if ring doesn’t fit etc then you can take it to someone ‘local’

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results