shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Oval vs AVC?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I mean the new vintage style oval, not the Elyque.

I'm trying to investigate this cut as a potential alternative to an AVC.
Reasons being: potentially more finger coverage, and I tried on a modern oval and liked how the shape looked on my finger.

There doesn't seem to be much from Rhino yet in Instagram, YouTube etc in terms of photos/videos/ASETs of the new oval.
Does anyone have any experience of it?
Does it have the sparkle and fire to rival the AVC?
Is the facet pattern as attractive as, say, the AV European cut? Or is there room for future improvement?

I'm hoping someone out there has some real life experiences they can share. Any opinions or advice welcome! I would be aiming for approx 0.75 carat, J colour, if that's relevant.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm that's a difficult choice if you don't clearly prefer one shape over another. You have tried both ovals and cushions on your hand and like them both equally? If so, it might come down to which individual stone has more preferable (for you) characteristics.

What I hate in ovals is a bowtie so if you feel the same just make sure whatever stone you get doesn't have any bowtie.

Is the facet pattern as attractive as, say, the AV European cut?

That's a personal preference. I love the facet patterning on antique cushions and old european cut diamonds. So that is *my* preference for faceting but there is no right or wrong and oval faceting can be gorgeous as well. Just depends on what you love.

I would be aiming for approx 0.75 carat, J colour, if that's relevant.

Not sure about this but I think ovals might show color more than cushions so if that would bother you that is something to consider as well. But again, it comes down to the individual stone if you don't have a clear preference for oval vs cushion.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide. Good luck.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
My suggestion is to get in touch with @Rhino and he will be able to help you better with your questions

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
You have tried both ovals and cushions on your hand and like them both equally?

I love the facet patterning on antique cushions and old european cut diamonds. So that is *my* preference for faceting but there is no right or wrong and oval faceting can be gorgeous as well. Just depends on what you love.
I actually preferred the oval shape on my finger as the cushions look a bit stumpy at that carat weight. However, I prefer the look of the AVC going by pictures/video and I worry I will not love the oval forever.

I find the flower shapes in the euro cuts very attractive and was wanting to know whether people observe the same thing in the vintage oval. They appear to have it in the pics on the AV site but I was hoping for real life perspectives.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
My suggestion is to get in touch with @Rhino and he will be able to help you better with your questions

Thank you, yes I will do this but I was hoping to wait until I was more ready to purchase to avoid wasting his time. I was also hoping for some real life experiences from a wider range of people, but perhaps not enough people have looked at/purchased a vintage oval yet.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually preferred the oval shape on my finger as the cushions look a bit stumpy at that carat weight. However, I prefer the look of the AVC going by pictures/video and I worry I will not love the oval forever.

I find the flower shapes in the euro cuts very attractive and was wanting to know whether people observe the same thing in the vintage oval. They appear to have it in the pics on the AV site but I was hoping for real life perspectives.

If you do a search for Ovals here you will find a number of threads with photos that may prove helpful.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, yes I have found some but have struggled to find any relating to the AV vintage oval.
I am really looking for that specific cut to get more of an idea of how it looks and performs.
Found a lot of stuff on the Elyque but that doesn't really appeal, I prefer the big facets and there's just something about the Elyque that is too "pointy" for my tastes.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know that anyone here has gotten the August Vintage antique oval yet? I don't recall seeing one. I just googled and couldn't find any threads posted where someone had one either.

I might check in the "fashion jewelry" section to see if anyone has one in moissanite.

MintyFresh

Rough_Rock
I am also looking at the new Vintage Ovals that Jonathan is just now releasing. The videos on insta are lovely, but if anyone has seen them in person I would also appreciate your input.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vintage ovals are a new cut of Jonathan’s so you won’t find much info on them specifically.

I will say, based on my own personal preference, I much prefer his new vintage oval over an AVC.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I will say, based on my own personal preference, I much prefer his new vintage oval over an AVC.

Would you please elaborate? I'm very interested to hear your thoughts!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you please elaborate? I'm very interested to hear your thoughts!

100% personal preference. I’m not a fan of square shaped stones, plus cushions provide less finger coverage.

I think ovals are a very elegant shape on a finger. If I were to venture away from a round cut for my engagement ring, his new vintage ovals are top of my list.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!
Do you think the new oval will have the same level of performance as the AVC? Have you seen any ASETs or anything?

I too feel that the oval shape is very elegant. Since I was a young girl I have always been drawn to squarer shapes, even though they don't look as good on my hand. Don't know what to do...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings all. Here are some things that might help. We did have the very first diamond cut and it came out absolutely amazing. :) I have 2 different manufacturers on the job. One knows how to do it consistently like the examples I'm about to show and one is learning.

Yes... they are designed for Ideal Optics which is a theme among all my creations. I've cut them in both 1.40:1 ratios as well as 1.35:1 ratios but only diamond in 1.40 ratio. After cutting and processing the through AGS PGS (performance grading software) both received Ideal Light Performance. :) Here are the ASETS generated.

This is from the 1.40 ratio.

weingartenvintageoval.jpg

Here is from the 1.35 ratio.

heritageoval380.jpg

Here's an image I recently took of the 1.35 ratio. When I initially began this project I was actually working with 2 models and after showing to a number of consumers and friends here from the forums the greater majority picked this design. This is the 1.35:1 ratio.

DSC00712.jpg

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Rhino this is very helpful!
At present I can't find any natural diamonds in this cut on your website. Do you intend to develop an inventory of these?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you @Rhino this is very helpful!
At present I can't find any natural diamonds in this cut on your website. Do you intend to develop an inventory of these?

I'm in discussion with one of my primary earth grown cutters but nothing definite has been determined at this point. They cut my Elyque so I don't see why not if I show them the green. LOL Unfortunately this industry does not move as fast as I'd like it to.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Goodness, that pic... those facets are so dreamy! The AV antique oval is super high on my want list :kiss2:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greetings all. Here are some things that might help. We did have the very first diamond cut and it came out absolutely amazing. :) I have 2 different manufacturers on the job. One knows how to do it consistently like the examples I'm about to show and one is learning.

Yes... they are designed for Ideal Optics which is a theme among all my creations. I've cut them in both 1.40:1 ratios as well as 1.35:1 ratios but only diamond in 1.40 ratio. After cutting and processing the through AGS PGS (performance grading software) both received Ideal Light Performance. :) Here are the ASETS generated.

heritageoval380.jpg

Here's an image I recently took of the 1.35 ratio. When I initially began this project I was actually working with 2 models and after showing to a number of consumers and friends here from the forums the greater majority picked this design. This is the 1.35:1 ratio.

DSC00712.jpg
That last picture :kiss2::kiss2:

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I'm in discussion with one of my primary earth grown cutters but nothing definite has been determined at this point. They cut my Elyque so I don't see why not if I show them the green. LOL Unfortunately this industry does not move as fast as I'd like it to.

I shall wait in anticipation ... and it sounds like a few others on this board will be doing the same thing!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I shall wait in anticipation ... and it sounds like a few others on this board will be doing the same thing!

The challenge is this ...

In the earth grown sector it requires HUGE amounts of capital to convince most facilities. Most won't cut one here or there so if you choose to wait that's cool but that is an unpredictable time frame and requires a learning curve for cutters.

The thing I love about the lab grown options at this point in time is I can order when I need and it costs MUCH LESS to experiment with prototypes. That is why I can provide these now in lab grown options and not earth grown. That is unless you have an extra 100 - 200k laying around you'd like to lend me? :P2

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Haha. If I had that kind of cash I wouldn't be aiming at .75 carat! No interest in lab grown whatsoever.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock

heritageoval380.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

Nice!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a dreamy looking oval!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I love Oval!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results