carat
color
clarity

August vintage inc.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Onward to the Chinese Vendors

Tianyu's H&A (thicker arrows) - 7mm F color
LOVE IT! Can hold its ground pretty well against the NA's vendors.
TIANYU_HA.jpg TIANYU_HA_2.jpg TIANYU_HA_1.jpg

Tianyu's H&A - 7.5mm F color

When I order another 7.5mm thick arrows from Tianyu, it wasn't as thick as last time. They said it's thick H&A, but to me it doesn't look like it. Wasn't as much of a fan of this one:

TIANYU_2.jpg

------------------------------------
That’s one thing I’m a little disappointed with in my Tianyu moissanite. The arrows aren’t as defined as my AV and it has a snowflake look. It’s still pretty and I like that it’s colorless (I have their DE color) but I would have thought they would have perfected their H&A by now or at least use thick arrows like that 7mm one you have. Every Tianyu H&A I’ve seen on message boards looks exactly like your 7.5mm, not the 7mm.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
That’s one thing I’m a little disappointed with in my Tianyu moissanite. The arrows aren’t as defined as my AV and it has a snowflake look. It’s still pretty and I like that it’s colorless (I have their DE color) but I would have thought they would have perfected their H&A by now or at least use thick arrows like that 7mm one you have. Every Tianyu H&A I’ve seen on message boards looks exactly like your 7.5mm, not the 7mm.

Maybe they can't get it consistently cut? That's what I was thinking. I LOVE my 7mm one. The arrows are always prominent and crisp. But I've purchased 2 other rings from Tianyu and asked for thicker arrows and neither of them were as good as my 7mm one. I think maybe the thicker one has to be custom cut, otherwise you give you the standard H&A cut they have in stock. Chinese vendors don't do thick H&A like most N.A.'s companies do. That's what' I've noticed so far. I've purchased a H&A from another Chinese vendor called DOVEGG on Amazon and the arrows were also thin as well.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe they can't get it consistently cut? That's what I was thinking. I LOVE my 7mm one. The arrows are always prominent and crisp. But I've purchased 2 other rings from Tianyu and asked for thicker arrows and neither of them were as good as my 7mm one. I think maybe the thicker one has to be custom cut, otherwise you give you the standard H&A cut they have in stock. Chinese vendors don't do thick H&A like most N.A.'s companies do. That's what' I've noticed so far. I've purchased a H&A from another Chinese vendor called DOVEGG on Amazon and the arrows were also thin as well.
I believe you’re correct. I actually tried to request thick arrows from another Chinese vendor (Mona, used to work at Starsgem but now works independently) and the arrows are still thin. I haven’t received it yet but when I do I was going to make a comparison with Tianyu and AV. It might come early next week. Anyway, their only saving grace is that they’re inexpensive and are just a bit better than Indian cuts.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Don’t get me wrong, I still love my Tianyu moissy and am keeping it long term, but my AV is much nicer! :love:

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I believe you’re correct. I actually tried to request thick arrows from another Chinese vendor (Mona, used to work at Starsgem but now works independently) and the arrows are still thin. I haven’t received it yet but when I do I was going to make a comparison with Tianyu and AV. It might come early next week. Anyway, their only saving grace is that they’re inexpensive and are just a bit better than Indian cuts.

I get you. The Tianyu by itself it's still nice. But the thicker arrows from AV is much nicer:) I didn't know Mona went off by herself. I heard she left SG, but I didn't know she's doing her own thing. Good for her I guess. Do you know which IG is Mona's? I keep getting them confused. The thinner arrows can still work because like you said, inexpensive, and really it's still pretty by itself. It's good for testing our fun setting ideas.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I get you. The Tianyu by itself it's still nice. But the thicker arrows from AV is much nicer:) I didn't know Mona went off by herself. I heard she left SG, but I didn't know she's doing her own thing. Good for her I guess. Do you know which IG is Mona's? I keep getting them confused. The thinner arrows can still work because like you said, inexpensive, and really it's still pretty by itself. It's good for testing our fun setting ideas.
Yes, this is her IG:
Screenshot_2019-03-05-19-44-28.png
I communicated with her there and then exchanged WhatsApp info. She's a little cheaper than Tianyu but slightly more than Starsgem. :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You made the right choice. ;)2 Like I said before, visually I was unimpressed with the AGS 000. The AV is so worth it!!!
Didn't know where to add this info, so putting it here bc it continues the convo about H&A comparisons. I confirmed with MoCo that the AGS000 stones are the same priced as the F1 H&a, not $100 more. So a 7mm near colorless (G-H) would have been $415. About $100 less than the AV when AV was having a sale, and about $200 less if they weren't on sale. Just as an FYI for those wondering about price differences between brands!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Didn't know where to add this info, so putting it here bc it continues the convo about H&A comparisons. I confirmed with MoCo that the AGS000 stones are the same priced as the F1 H&a, not $100 more. So a 7mm near colorless (G-H) would have been $415. About $100 less than the AV when AV was having a sale, and about $200 less if they weren't on sale. Just as an FYI for those wondering about price differences between brands!

Thank you for this! They must’ve changed it since I got a price, which was months ago. I guess I need to check if they’re cutting smaller stones because at that time, they couldn’t offer 5mms for my side stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for this! They must’ve changed it since I got a price, which was months ago. I guess I need to check if they’re cutting smaller stones because at that time, they couldn’t offer 5mms for my side stones.
He told me this week that they are still not offering anything under 6mm (or larger than 11mm). I was also considering them as side stones, but sadly I would have wanted 4/5mm as well.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
He told me this week that they are still not offering anything under 6mm (or larger than 11mm). I was also considering them as side stones, but sadly I would have wanted 4/5mm as well.

Dang it. I wonder if they will in the future, especially since three stones are gaining so much popularity. That would’ve been half the price of AV for the side stones. Bummer.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang it. I wonder if they will in the future, especially since three stones are gaining so much popularity. That would’ve been half the price of AV for the side stones. Bummer.
Yeah I know. But honestly for side stones that are under 6mm I'd probably be happy with Chinese vendor h&a for a fraction of the cost. I think perfect faceting is less important to me in smaller sizes, especially if in a 3 stone where there isn't a diamond as the center (I wouldn't want the side stones to look noticibly worse). But in a CS 3 stone I think I wouldn't really care that much.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit. Also assuming it's not an e-ring. For that I would want the best of everything bc it's a daily wear piece.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I know. But honestly for side stones that are under 6mm I'd probably be happy with Chinese vendor h&a for a fraction of the cost. I think perfect faceting is less important to me in smaller sizes, especially if in a 3 stone where there isn't a diamond as the center (I wouldn't want the side stones to look noticibly worse). But in a CS 3 stone I think I wouldn't really care that much.

Agreed, but mine will all be Moissanite. :cry2: Guess it’s back to the drawing board for me. Amora is so hard to get, and Less said near colorless would basically be impossible to get. AV is super expensive. And the Chinese companies just aren’t there with their cutting, but at this point they’re the front runner for me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, but mine will all be Moissanite. :cry2: Guess it’s back to the drawing board for me. Amora is so hard to get, and Less said near colorless would basically be impossible to get. AV is super expensive. And the Chinese companies just aren’t there with their cutting, but at this point they’re the front runner for me.
When I get my AV ring I'm going to compare it to my diamelia. I still really like my 1ct from them, and pricing is much cheaper. I'll keep you posted!!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
When I get my AV ring I'm going to compare it to my diamelia. I still really like my 1ct from them, and pricing is much cheaper. I'll keep you posted!!

Thank you!!! And I’m not trying to thread jack, I promise. But this is what I’ve discovered on my quest. I’m pricing a 7mm center stone and two 5mm side stones. I hope this can help someone! Pricing is for the suite.

StarsGem - $125 for G-H

Tianyu - $175 for G-H

Moissanite Co - $735 for G-H if they offered a 5mm.

Diamelia - $940 for F/VVS2 (Under $700 if I go with I/VVS2)

Amora Gem - $1,012 for F/VVS

August Vintage - $1,200 (roughly) for F-G/VVS. Bumping down to I-J saves on the center stone, but not the side stones. They’re still 300/each! 7mm isn’t listed for some reason, but 6.5 is $425 and 7.5 is $638.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, I think the Chinese moissanites are beautiful for what they are. =)2 You're right that their cutting is not up to standard, but their color is good and they are still sparkly. Most people wouldn't even notice the cut. I get compliments on my Tianyu ring all the time; at my doctor's appointment yesterday, my doc couldn't stop staring at my ring (and she had a nice, chunky diamond!).

Also, I think I remember reading that you were planning to upgrade to lab diamonds eventually? So, it makes no sense to spend a lot on moissys when you can put the money towards diamonds in the future. I may be getting an OEC from Jonathan in the future, but other than that, I don't see myself getting anymore NA moissanites as they are pricey. The ideal round I have is gorgeous and while I don't see myself parting with it, it will eventually become a travel ring after I get engaged (which my true ering will be a lab diamond!).

Sorry, not trying to thread jack!!!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, I think the Chinese moissanites are beautiful for what they are. =)2 You're right that their cutting is not up to standard, but their color is good and they are still sparkly. Most people wouldn't even notice the cut. I get compliments on my Tianyu ring all the time; at my doctor's appointment yesterday, my doc couldn't stop staring at my ring (and she had a nice, chunky diamond!).

Also, I think I remember reading that you were planning to upgrade to lab diamonds eventually? So, it makes no sense to spend a lot on moissys when you can put the money towards diamonds in the future. I may be getting an OEC from Jonathan in the future, but other than that, I don't see myself getting anymore NA moissanites as they are pricey. The ideal round I have is gorgeous and while I don't see myself parting with it, it will eventually become a travel ring after I get engaged (which my true ering will be a lab diamond!).

Sorry, not trying to thread jack!!!

I do want to upgrade eventually, but I guess I was thinking if I loved my Moissanite enough, I could use the upgrade money for a whole new project! :lol-2:

Plus, who knows when I’ll actually be able to afford the lab diamonds, so in the meantime I want to enjoy looking at what I have. Sounds like Tianyu is probably my best bet.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I do want to upgrade eventually, but I guess I was thinking if I loved my Moissanite enough, I could use the upgrade money for a whole new project! :lol-2:

Plus, who knows when I’ll actually be able to afford the lab diamonds, so in the meantime I want to enjoy looking at what I have. Sounds like Tianyu is probably my best bet.
Oh, the projects never end...I already have 3 running through my mind since joining the moissanite rabbit hole... :lol::oops:

A lot of people love their Tianyu moissys, myself included! My boyfriend makes fun of me constantly because he always catches me staring at it. :lol-2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think tiyanu is your best bet. The others are just too pricey, imho. Again, unless it's an e-ring and you want everything perfect. I went with AV dor my tension set bc the entire point is to showcase the stone, and sprung for CBI for my e-ring. But future projects are likely going to be less expensive moissy.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think tiyanu is your best bet. The others are just too pricey, imho. Again, unless it's an e-ring and you want everything perfect. I went with AV dor my tension set bc the entire point is to showcase the stone, and sprung for CBI for my e-ring. But future projects are likely going to be less expensive moissy.

I agree. It will be for my wedding set, but it’s an upgrade since we’ve been married nearly 13 years.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

I sent you a message through LT. just wanted to give you a heads up because I know their messaging is hit or miss =)2

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t want to further derail the thread, but I wanted to add info since we’ve been discussing other options besides AV.

I spoke to MoCo and they aren’t offering anything smaller than a 6mm for their new AGS 000, but I just confirmed they will special cut smaller sizes for the cost of a 6mm. So if you wanted, say, 5mm’s, they’d take a couple weeks but you could special order them for $220 a piece if you went with near-colorless. That’s without a cert.

I hope this is useful info for someone! =)2

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 8mm AV MRB for an ering because I needed that ideal round cut with the contrast and the arrows. If I went oec or omc or any other cut I would have gone with tianyu. I have a pendant and ring from them which I love and their MRBs are nothing to sneeze at. It’s sort of like paying the premium for a WF ACA or going with a GIA Xxx. Both are going to be gorgeous!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I also finally received my OEC Moissanite today. I can now say that it's impossible to capture it on camera. But I'm very pleasantly surprised and even considering using it in my engagement ring instead of an oec diamond. But even if I don't it's beautiful and I'm so happy I went with August Vintage Moissanites :)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results