shape
carat
color
clarity

Atrocious behaviour at Tiffany NY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was browsing on the e-ring floor today. A very pleasant sales associate saw my WF ring and thought it was one of theirs. When I told him it wasn't, he was intrigued and showed it to his colleagues. One of the proceeded to hand it over to her client. On top of that, she said distinctly "There's nothing like a Tiffany ring, is there?" When I addressed the issue with her, she flat-out denied having done either thing. She said, "Oh, I'm sorry and your ring is beautiful, what more do you want?" At that point, I went to see her superior. I was extremely offended on 3 counts: (1) she handed my ring to a complete stranger; (2) she insulted my ring to my face; (3) she implied that I had fabricated the whole thing. Truly, if she had just apologised, I would have let the matter rest.

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
sorry to hear that, Harriet.

result? what did the superior say?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Maybe that SA really did think it was a Tiffany product. It sounds like it got passed down the line a little.

It''s not so bad, they must have really liked your ring!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
bosoxbw,

The director will address the issue with her (she happens to be 1 of 2 managers on that floor) and get back to me.

Beacon,
She was told that it wasn''t one of theirs.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I think the worst of it is that they handed your property to a total stranger. That would annoy me.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
What would you have done?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
It would really depend on how it all happened.

Knowing me, I would be right on top of the client if I saw she suddenly had my ring in her hand and probably would have corrected the SA about the origins of my ring right there. No doubt the client would hear this and it would be embarrassing for the SA, but that is her fault for making things up.

I just would not want my ring given out to an unknown member of the public for their inspection. I would probably complain to the SA about that as soon as the client left. It opens up too many areas of potential trouble. I am sure the SA knows that was a wrong thing to do.

I thought maybe the SA thought it was Tiffany merchandise, but if she knew it was not, there was no need to hand it to the client.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t want to embarrass the client (not his fault), so I waited till the sales associate was free before I spoke to her.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I have never shopped for large diamonds in the NY store but I wonder about something: usually when a larger ring is shown at Tiffany''s one has to go into a special salon to view it.

Now I have had SAs in San Francisco store, who knew me, show me some expensive stuff right over the counter but I think that''s bc they knew me. AS i reflect on it, they were colored stones, not diamonds, but I don''t know if that makes a difference.

In the NY store is it their policy to use the salon for bigger stones? If so, then the SA was in double jeopardy.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow...I would be beyond irritated with that type of behavior. How obnoxious. I hope the director takes your complaint seriously.

Really, they should think twice before insulting you, a potential client who obviously has good (and big!
28.gif
) taste when it comes to diamonds!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 9:43:51 PM
Author: Beacon
I have never shopped for large diamonds in the NY store but I wonder about something: usually when a larger ring is shown at Tiffany''s one has to go into a special salon to view it.

Now I have had SAs in San Francisco store, who knew me, show me some expensive stuff right over the counter but I think that''s bc they knew me. AS i reflect on it, they were colored stones, not diamonds, but I don''t know if that makes a difference.

In the NY store is it their policy to use the salon for bigger stones? If so, then the SA was in double jeopardy.
I haven''t seen a salon in that store.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 9:49:04 PM
Author: thing2of2
Wow...I would be beyond irritated with that type of behavior. How obnoxious. I hope the director takes your complaint seriously.

Really, they should think twice before insulting you, a potential client who obviously has good (and big!
28.gif
) taste when it comes to diamonds!
Thank you for your compliment.
1.gif

The director took down my address and said he would have her write me a note. The last straw was when she denied everything.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I''m confused about the insult part.

When she said "there is nothing like a Tiffany ring" to the client was she implying that your ring wasn''t as good as theirs, or was she trying to pass of your ring AS a Tiffany ring to fool the client?

blingless

Rough_Rock
Completely inappropriate in every way. That said, whats done is done and I''m sure your reaction was very instructional and will serve the SA through their career, however brief lol. While diamonds are a lot like people and no two are the same, they are also physical and static. Your diamond is either at the high end of the 4 c''s like theirs or it isn''t. If it is, as I would assume if you''re here, the SA, aside from being a lousy SA, obviously has no clue about their prodcut. I''d put my ring in a cleaner, console it with affirmations that I''d never let that happen to it again, give it a big hug, and then skure it with my finger :0

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 10:35:32 PM
Author: luckystar112
I''m confused about the insult part.

When she said ''there is nothing like a Tiffany ring'' to the client was she implying that your ring wasn''t as good as theirs, or was she trying to pass of your ring AS a Tiffany ring to fool the client?
The former. She had been told that it was not a Tiffany ring.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Oh this is different. When I first read your post I thought they were trying to pass yours as Tiffany so the client would not realize that replicas existed.

Are you sure she was really cutting it down? She could have been trying to pretend it was Tiffs so the customer wouldn''t get ideas.

Could you tell from her demeanor that she was cutting it down? It''s all very strange. Who would do that?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The associate who passed my ring to her told her in front of the client that it was not a Tiffany ring. The other manager said she was defending their product, that there was Tiffany pride at stake. I can understand her wanting to make a sale, but she should have had the courtesy to wait till I was out of earshot.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 10:41:04 PM
Author: blingless
Completely inappropriate in every way. That said, whats done is done and I'm sure your reaction was very instructional and will serve the SA through their career, however brief lol. While diamonds are a lot like people and no two are the same, they are also physical and static. Your diamond is either at the high end of the 4 c's like theirs or it isn't. If it is, as I would assume if you're here, the SA, aside from being a lousy SA, obviously has no clue about their prodcut. I'd put my ring in a cleaner, console it with affirmations that I'd never let that happen to it again, give it a big hug, and then skure it with my finger :0
Haha. I just put my ring in the cleaner to purge it of her taint. Btw, it is a WF ACA and beautiful.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a large stone from Tiffany''s. Anytime I went in to view stones, I was taken into a private area where the offices are. I was never out in the main area looking at rings or stones. On any level, even if your ring came from there, they should NEVER hand your ring to a stranger. NOT cool at all.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 11:12:43 PM
Author: diamondfan
I have a large stone from Tiffany's. Anytime I went in to view stones, I was taken into a private area where the offices are. I was never out in the main area looking at rings or stones. On any level, even if your ring came from there, they should NEVER hand your ring to a stranger. NOT cool at all.
I was looking at mere 3+'ers.
2.gif

Btw, I was actually shopping. I am looking for a band, and an upgrade of my original e-ring, one of theirs. Now, I have a seriously bad taste in my mouth about Tiffany.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do not let one bad apple spoil the bunch (Michael Jackson reference)...

I have only had good experiences at my store. My first ring from there was a three stone, three carats in the center and one on each side, all E color and VVS1. They were lovely to my husband. When I upgraded, they got stones in for me, not a ton because the size I wanted was not as common, but still, they went out of their way for me. To this day, I get the most wonderful service and nice attitude...so just allow the superior to make it right and insist on working with someone else in the future.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, that is just plain rude
emotion-39.gif
!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t believe she took it and handed it to another customer.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Why was it off your finger and in their hands anyway?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Harriett,
That really DOES sound atrocious! At first I thought maybe the saleswoman didn''t understand that your ring was not a Tiffany, and thus, was complimenting your ring when discussing with the client. However it sounds like this could not have been the case. Also, handing your multi-$$$ ring to a stranger without your permission is completely inexcusable. I hope that the higher-up will take your complaint seriously. Very dissappointing.

By the way one time I was there shopping (San Fran store I think), and they kept going on and on about my lovely Lucida. I have a ROUND diamond in a Vatche setting, but anyone who works for Tiffany should have known that Lucidas are not round!! It makes you question the training of the salespeople.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, I can hardly believe this happened - how unnerving! Sounds like the salesperson was totally out of line. At least the other client didn''t TRY ON the ring! I would have felt panicked and slightly nauseous over the whole thing.

I guess the lessons learned here are:

1. Do not get too familiar with salespeople, regardless of the shop.
2. Do not let people you don''t know handle your ring.
3. Do not take the ring off in public places.

I can understand that you are proud of your ring and want to show it to people who appreciate nice diamonds. However, your ring is a very special thing that was given to you by the man you love. It is intended for you and your enjoyment only.

Maybe this experience, however unpleasant, has a lesson in it. Although you are upset, be grateful that now you have gained some awareness about do''s and don''ts. Hopefully other women will read this and also benefit from your experience. Thanks for sharing.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 11:29:21 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I can''t believe she took it and handed it to another customer.
I can''t either. And what''s even more unbelievable is that the customer took it.

I would never handle someone elses (as in strangers) ring.

But then, I never would have given it to the Tiff associate in the first place, but I''m funny like that. You want to see my ring, I''ll hold my hand out.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
This is unbelievable behavior
6.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I let the first SA, who was very nice, handle my ring because he was genuinely intrigued by it. Also, he sold me my original e-ring, a Lucida.

Btw, the awful SA is a manager of the e-ring floor.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 9:02:06 AM
Author: Harriet
I let the first SA, who was very nice, handle my ring because he was genuinely intrigued by it. Also, he sold me my original e-ring, a Lucida.

Btw, the awful SA is a manager of the e-ring floor.
Maybe not for long if she keeps that kind of behavior up...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results