shape
carat
color
clarity

Atrocious behaviour at Tiffany NY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
This is unbelievable. I wouldn''t be turned off by the store -just the SA. The Tiffs here doesn''t have a salon and I looked at rings over the counter. I never, ever take my rings off to show someone. Not even to my friends and family. They can see it just fine on my hand, where it belongs.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Oooh that would steam me!
29.gif

Sales associates at these different B&M retailers really seem to like to sarcastically or off-handedly comment on other rings or competitors as if that is going to make you want to buy one of theirs.

Yes, there isn''t anything like a real tiffany ring. To that I would have added ''yes, and there are alot of things better and nicer than a real tiffany ring too!''

That would have been embarassing for that rude SA.

Although it is NY, I still wouldn''t expect that behavior in a TIffany!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw, not all New Yorkers are rude.
emsmile.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thnk her comments and behavior were horrendous, but I am certain, being a regular Tiffany customer, that there is no way that they condone that from any of their sales people. Manager or not, she has superiors, and I am sue she will be disciplined in some way. That is simply not okay behavior.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Handing your property to another consumer could have had some very serious problems.

Suppose the guy darted out the door with your ring.

If it were a plain mounting, he could have switched it.

Those of us who have worked in retail stores at the counter, need to be very alert for this happening. There are people who walk in with new "generic" looking mountings, ( even with inventory tags ) and switch them in the blink of an eye.

Working with loose stones, even requires a high level of "supervision".

What a nightmare that COULD have resulted in.

EEEEEECCCCCCKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockdoc

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 11:00:30 AM
Author: Harriet
Aw, not all New Yorkers are rude.
emsmile.gif
I found everyone there very nice... if you could get them to look at/acknowledge you LOL! When I was pregnant about 8 mos on the subway I even had people give me their seats. I''m a big eye contact person so I met a lot of people LOL

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was in the area today, so I popped in to see that woman's direct superior (the director I met with yesterday is not her boss). Alas, he wasn't in. I'm sufficiently incensed that I will pursue the matter. Also, Tiffany's will not get my business untill the matter is resolved.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
harriet,
I''m sorry you''re upset and agree that the SA was out of line in handing your ring to another customer, also comparing your ring to theirs in front of you was unprofessional but Tiffany does one of the most coveted solitaire settings out there and even the best imitations don''t quite cut it so I don''t entirely blame the SA who is standing inside of Tiffany''s trying to bring home a point to a potential customer, he/she probably was scared they''d lose the sale after the customer saw your gorgeous diamond. Sure lots of things COULD have happened like rocdoc said and thank goodness they didn''t. Next time, keep your ring on
2.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 4:32:18 PM
I was in the area today, so I popped in to see that woman's direct superior (the director I met with yesterday is not her boss). Alas, he wasn't in. I'm sufficiently incensed that I will pursue the matter. Also, Tiffany's will not get my business untill the matter is resolved.
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience and the salesperson was certainly unprofessional in her behavior, but I am just curious as to what you feel would be a satisfactory resolution to the matter that would enable you to shop there again?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 5:02:06 PM
Author: mrssalvo
harriet,
I''m sorry you''re upset and agree that the SA was out of line in handing your ring to another customer, also comparing your ring to theirs in front of you was unprofessional but Tiffany does one of the most coveted solitaire settings out there and even the best imitations don''t quite cut it so I don''t entirely blame the SA who is standing inside of Tiffany''s trying to bring home a point to a potential customer, he/she probably was scared they''d lose the sale after the customer saw your gorgeous diamond. Sure lots of things COULD have happened like rocdoc said and thank goodness they didn''t. Next time, keep your ring on
2.gif
I understand her motivation, but she could at least have had the decency to keep her mouth shut untill I was out of earshot. Also, she had the opportunity to apologise in private, but she just lied.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 5:25:26 PM
Author: Sundial

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience and the salesperson was certainly unprofessional in her behavior, but I am just curious as to what you feel would be a satisfactory resolution to the matter that would enable you to shop there again?
Well, the director I spoke with yesterday mentioned javing her write a note of apology. All I want is some reassursnce that she's been appropriately dealt with.

What would you guys have done, had you been in my shoes?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 7:00:08 PM

What would I have done ... um, laughed it off? *shrug*

But then again I can''t imagine taking my ring off & handing it to a salesman in the first place.

I wonder ... are you more concerned with the woman being punished for her error .. or saving future customers from having their non-Tiffany jewelry insulted?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 8:45:33 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 3/3/2007 7:00:08 PM

What would I have done ... um, laughed it off? *shrug*

But then again I can''t imagine taking my ring off & handing it to a salesman in the first place.

I wonder ... are you more concerned with the woman being punished for her error .. or saving future customers from having their non-Tiffany jewelry insulted?
I won''t hand my ring to an SA anymore. In my defence, we bought my original e-ring from him.

Both, though admittedly a bit more of the former. :)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, first, I would not remove my ring except for cleaning in a controlled setting.

Second, the sales person was out of line. Clearly. But, I think if you can get an apology I would drop it. I am sure she will be reprimanded. I would not allow one person to color my view of an entire company. While I would steer clear of her in the future, you have someone there you like, so I would just know that she made an error, assume she has been disciplined in some way, and move on. As annoying and potentially bad a situation it was, it is over, and I think there are bigger things in the world to be upset about...just mho. Tiffany''s is a huge store in NY, she is not your salesperson and you likely never have to deal with her if you do not wish to, so that is what I think makes the most sense.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,
I agree. I'm actually confrontation shy, so you can imagine how incensed I am.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really amazing that a sales person at Tiffany would do that! I hope you get an apology!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, you''re more likely to get an apology if you put your complaint in writing and send it to the head of the NY store. Heck, copy the CEO.

I had a bad experience at an exclusive Italian store, wrote a letter, and not only received apologies from the offender and the director of US relations, but also a bottle of the latest perfume. Until the store corrected the behavior of the associate, I didn''t feel comfortable going into the store, regardless of the city. I let them know that. The gesture restored my confidence.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I was in the area today, so I popped in to see that woman''s direct superior (the director I met with yesterday is not her boss). Alas, he wasn''t in. I''m sufficiently incensed that I will pursue the matter. Also, Tiffany''s will not get my business untill the matter is resolved.
How do you want it resolved? You want her fired?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i agree the sa was totally out of line. the denial is also very frustrating but even if she gives an apology i don''t think it is worth having if one has to ask for it.

i think you should pursue it as far as you feel you need to but it is kind of like sending food back at a restaurant, it leaves one wondering what they will do to the new food they send you. definately not the way it should be but it happens.

if i wanted to continue with that store i would not go any farther. you have told a couple of people and i would let it go as i think they will be punitive to your back. jmho. good luck.
1.gif

gail013

Shiny_Rock
No matter where this occured it is inappropriate-Tiffany''s or other. I suppose because of the prices and reputation, Tiffany''s staff''s behavior should be beyond reproach. I would not let it bother be that much, it is not worth it. Would you be just as upset, if a salesperson at Jareds had done the same thing?
20.gif
I would hope so.

I have never understood what all the fuss over Tiffany''s was about. This experience shows they are typical. They hire ''salespeople''. Many jewelers offer lifetime service on pieces that you buy, and many are far less expensive. Many give you first rate service with a smile, and will resize rings you have bought from them, at no-charge. But it is like cars-some want the Lexus and some want the Kia, and we all want good service.

The best way to show them how offended you are by what has happened, is to bring your business elsewhere. This salesperson will go on to offend others no doubt. But you know you have a beautiful stone, and you do not need her approval. I would not expect a store like Tiffany''s to validate your decision to buy online-it goes totally against everything they are. I would not be surprised to find that ''the company'' follows her belief as such, but disapproves of how she verbalized it to you.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with all who have said that I have bigger fish to fry. As I stated, I am generally confrontation shy. The problem is I have a Tiffany ring that I want to trade up and the NY store is my local one.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2007 10:21:19 PM
Author: lumpkin

I was in the area today, so I popped in to see that woman''s direct superior (the director I met with yesterday is not her boss). Alas, he wasn''t in. I''m sufficiently incensed that I will pursue the matter. Also, Tiffany''s will not get my business untill the matter is resolved.
How do you want it resolved? You want her fired?
See my above reply to Sundial. I''m not in the habit of causing people to lose their livelihoods.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
One bad salesperson is not indicative of anything. Any store can have poor help, and they of course should be dealt with so they learn about how to behave with customers. Whether or not you are trading up or just browsing or buying, you should never be treated that way. However, why let one misguided person impede you? Deal with management. Trust me, to trade up at Tiffany's you must spend double the original price of your ring and they will not want to lose a sale or sour you on the store in general. Let someone in management take care of you and forget about her.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i don''t see what the big deal is.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan,
I agree with you. I just want to speak with the SA's boss (she does not answer to the director I spoke with on Friday). As I've said, I have more important things to attend to.

Ladykemma,
See Rockdoc's reply above. There could have been repercussions other than my bruised ego (which is not that fragile).

Carats

Shiny_Rock
Harriet,

I read your story and all i can say is that if i were in your shoes, i would NOT be happy with some little apology letter. What they did was a SECURITY issue, aside from being completely behaviourly rude, inappropriate etc. You should not let this go so lightly. If I were you, i''d be working the phones and calling upper level management until they give you something significant. Keep us posted about how it goes but dont be satisfied with some apology...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carats,
What would you consider a satisfactory resolution?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. insults aside, handing your ring off to a stranger is not a good thing to do. That is what I would really focus on. I am sure they will be most apologetic.

Carats

Shiny_Rock
I would be happy if given a significant price reduction on whatever it is you want to purchase - like 30% off perhaps, but nothing short of that. Its one thing if they are rude/snobby but a totally different to hand a precious, expensive item to another complete stranger. Thats a serious security violation and they should know way better than that.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
First thing is you should never have taken your ring off in the first place. Tiff's or not. The SA should never have handed it off without your permission to his sales manager either. I would have glady showed my ring while safely on my finger, but that's water over the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results