shape
carat
color
clarity

Atrocious behaviour at Tiffany NY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a sales or manager noticed Harriet''s ring. He thought it was TCo, but when she told him it wasn''t, he showed it to this female manager. My guess is he was simply sales. Then the female manager in question showed it to her client and said to offending remark. Did I get that right Harriet?

In the end, it really is just a shame, and nothing can change the attitude there, but reprecussions of having such an attitude. And that won''t happen because they celebrate this sort of snobbery and elitist attitude. But you can bring it to the attention of the people who are in charge as a way of at least giving them a chance to be better. If they don''t take it, that''s their eventual loss, and you walk out knowing you were the bigger person. But they should know in the chain of sales, they could have lost millions...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 1:32:11 PM
Author: vespergirl
Since we''re bashing a snotty salesperson at TIffany''s, I''ll throw my story into the mix. I had some friends visiting who had never been to NY before, so of course I took them to Tiffany''s. At the time, none of us were engaged, but I already had my eye set on getting an asscher someday. I think that the Legacy rings were new, and when I saw them, I pointed them out to my girlfirends and said, ''ooh, I think that''s an asscher, just like the one that I want!'' The saleslady came over to me and said in a snotty voice, ''Actually, those are cushions, we don''t carry asschers here.'' (If you guys have seen the legacy cushion, it sort of looks like a hybrid between a cushion and an asscher). I had wanted to try it on, but I was so turned off by her dismissive attitude, that I didn''t. The following year when I got engaged, my fiance wanted to take me to Tiffany''s to pick out a ring, but I decided to go to a local diamond dealer instead that has an excellent reputation (and that carries asschers ;-) Not only did they spend hours showing us diamonds, they also got my fiance''s business - not a small chunk of change for my 2.2 carat ring! We will continue to go to the dealer that sold us my beautiful ring, and Tiffany can keep their attitude ;-)
They are NOT cushions, SHE was wrong. They are cushion LIKE... it''s actually a cushion type brilliant corwn pattern with step cut pavillion. Not nearly as many as an Asscher, and technically an asscher should exhibit the wind-mill pattern from the top and bottom steps colliding. (I went to a SUPER fascinating GIA lecture on the Asscher cut and how they differ from Sq. Emeralds).

FYI: maybe if more people do what Harriet did, they would finally understand that the sales people have a problem...Personally one small voice can start an uproar, and I am never one to be very quiet when upset...
31.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks nicrez, you are right - they won''t ever know that people are being turned off unless people speak up, like harriet did.

There''s one more way to let them know you''re not pleased with the service - take your business elsewhere - that''s what I did! ;-)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure, at the end of the day, it is a profit issue, but I think salespeople, even in the higher end stores, should be trained to be respectful and polite no matter what and no matter the assumptions about the client in front of them. You never know who is buying and when, but that is not the point, treat people with respect because that is what is nice. I walk into Harry Winston, Chopard, Chanel, Hermes etc, sometimes in very casual dress and in a mood to look, and I have never really encountered anyone who was not helpful or pleasant. On the rare occasion that I do, I merely make note of who they are and avoid them on future visits. Period. I will spend my money where I want, and I will not allow a salesperson or even a store level manager affect me that deeply. I would have no problem, if they were to come up to me the next time to assist me, telling them that I prefer to work with someone else in the store...if I sense that bad 'tude" again especially, I will not put up with it. But, in the long run, I know that I have a nice life and this person, for whatever reason, a bad day or what, is unhappy or unpleasant and that is their cross to bear. Trust me, people like that do not tend to last long in people oriented jobs. It does not hurt to make mention of the behavior, and if there are enough complaints in someone's file, then often they are dismissed. At this point, though, I would tell MY salesperson to please never hand my ring over to anyone, management or otherwise, and I would go about my business...if TIffany's had what I wanted I would go there, if not, I would not worry too much about it. Giving this person the power to stop me from shopping there is not in my plans.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 11:33:42 AM
Author: Harriet
Nicrez,
What would you consider a satisfactory resolution?
I''m not Nicrez, but here''s what I would want. A simple apology. Trust me, she won''t like it, and you''ll feel better I think.

Short story. When I first started searching for my upgrade, I called a very snooty store my BIL recommended. The gal who answered was rude, and flat out lied to me. After hanging up, I got so mad I called back and asked to speak to the manager. I relayed what was said, and reminded her I was spending a nice chunk of change. I told her I didn''t appreciate the way I was treated.

She asked if it would be alright to speak with this gal, since she didn''t hear the convo herself. I said sure. A half hour later the first gal called back with an apology, and some backpeddling, which I just couldn''t resist nicely calling her on. I let her stammer a bit, and ended the call.

I felt better, and I''m sure it was one of the hardest calls she ever made.
9.gif
2.gif

They also knew they''d lost a potential customer. Amazing, I never even made it in the door....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 11:04:47 AM
Update:
2 of the offending SA''s directors (1 is her direct superior) just called me. They claim (i) that she never handed the ring to the client, that it was the original SA who did so; (ii) that the client was actually a Tiffany employee; (iii) the offending SA made the comment she did because she was put in an awkward position. They say it is Tiffany''s policy to not comment on non-Tiffany items.

A number of points:
1. I accept that I was mistaken as to who handed the ring to the client/employee.
2. I accept that the offending SA was put in an awkward position.
3. But, she could just have said ''I can''t comment.''
4. Also, given that the client was ostensibly an employee, there was no sale she had to save.
5. I waited to speak to her in private. She could have explained her position then. Instead, she categorically denied ever having made her offensive remark.
so, the ring was never actually handed to another customer?

if this is the case, it seems tiffany has made up for the ''offensive'' remark. i really don''t think any more can be done. it was a comment. if you''re going to let the little things like that bother you, you''re in for a miserable road ahead.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,
Like you, all I expect is a simple apology from the offending SA.
Belle,
Don''t worry. Most of the time, my skin''s pretty thick
1.gif

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have been following your story, Harriet, and I''m sorry that it happened to you. Whether or not you handed the ring to the SA, that was not a green light to pass your ring over the counter, I don''t care who was standing there. Even a SA at the local mall jewelry store knows better than that.

FWIW, I had a bad customer service experience at that location myself. True, I was a tourist and dressed accordingly, but the huge ring on my finger should have alerted them to a potential sale. I couldn''t even get a SA to look at me and acknowledge I was standing there. Ah well, I found the perfect ring at a reputable local B&M for a fraction of the cost, but they did lose a potential sale.

The staff on the ground floor (where they have the silver jewelry, perfume, etc.) were really super nice. It was only when I got to the fine jewelry section that I encountered a problem. I think someone needs to tell those people to dial down the ''tude and quit acting like Tiffany''s is the only place in the world to buy great jewelry. I hope you get the apology you are looking for.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just went into Harry Winston''s last weekend with my hubby. We were dressed a bit casually so we could do a lot of walking in the city, and had some time to kill. Went in, had a very lovely SA help us. As we were leaving she asked if I wanted to see or try on anything else. They were crowded, and some other customers had walked in asking for her specifically. I said, well, yes, but no worries, you seem busy. She said no trouble, and got out a gorgeous diamond necklace for me to try on. Hubby did not love it, so she said, come sit, I will look in the back for this other necklace I like, and she came back out, saying it had sold but try this one instead. I did, and then she took our address and told me she would send me color photos of a couple necklaces she really thought would look nice. All this on a busy Saturday when the store was full. Today I got the package with the photos and a lovely letter from her. Who knows if and when I will buy there, but I certainly felt she was lovely and followed up as she said she would, and so that scores points in my book. Had I not had the nice experience, I still might consider buying what I wanted, but I would likely not want to work with that person. I have never really shopped in the NY Tiffany''s, they always send things to my store near me when I want things, so I cannot speak for their attitude etc. But, it is over, and I would just decide that one person with a stinky attitude does not a company policy make, and I would go there when and if I felt like it.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Well if your ring is a Tiffany look-alike then I can understand the comment - if not I think it was kindof rude.

I don''t know how much I''d persue that sort of thing - it is someone''s career/livelihood and if they had apologized I don''t know if I''d push so much for one little comment.

Sorry though that you''re so upset.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 6:52:23 AM
Author: ladykemma
i don''t see what the big deal is.

I agree, even after 4 pages I still don''t get it
26.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update 2:
The director called again. The offending SA is writing a note of apology. That''s all I wanted.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Wait isn''t your ring a Whiteflash 6-prong Tiffany look alike...hmmm....

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:19:29 PM
Update 2:

The director called again. The offending SA is writing a note of apology. That''s all I wanted.

that''s great news harriet, I''m glad you got your desired outcome
1.gif

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I had something typed out, but you found out you were getting your apology while slow poke me was still typing! I'm glad you've resolved this to your satisfaction and I'm sorry you encountered that bad behavior in the first place.
26.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:23:00 PM
Author: winternight
Yes, it is. But, the SA''s remark was unacceptable, as was her subsequent denial of it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update 2:
Even if the note is written with a lot of this --->
20.gif
?

I really don''t get all the hubbub about this either. My guess from the communications that have happened so far, they really don''t think they did anything that wrong. So your apology may just be the motions only. Personally, I don''t care to force humble pie down anyone''s throat. If they''re sorry, they''re sorry. If they''re not, I move on. Your lady didn''t apologize when you confronted her in the store. I doubt she''s all that sorry now.

But then again, I don''t shop at Tiffany''s, Cartier, Chanel, etc etc. Perhaps if I were to get snubbed in a place where I assume I should be treated importantly, I might be offended (although I really don''t get offended too easily. Irritated yes, offended, no.) I once went into an large upscale jewelry store where I was completely ignored. It was annoying, but I just got the attention of a salesperson, let him know what was going on and he apologized and was very kind to me afterwards. No big deal.

Either way, I am glad this is being resolved to your satisfaction.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Well the situation turned out not to be as serious as first presented since no outside person actually had possession of the ring. Now the sales associate has agreed to apologize for her unprofessional behavior so hopefully you can move on Harriet.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course -- the case is closed for me. Now I can move on to adding items to my wishlist.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:38:42 PM
Author: Sundial
Well the situation turned out not to be as serious as first presented since no outside person actually had possession of the ring. Now the sales associate has agreed to apologize for her unprofessional behavior so hopefully you can move on Harriet.
ditto that.

oh the drama!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:38:27 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Even if the note is written with a lot of this --->
20.gif
?
.... and all future quippy, caustic, vaguely insulting remarks are sure to be made safely out of earshot??? Doesn''t sound that comforting or that much of a victory to me either.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:03:32 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 3/4/2007 6:52:23 AM
Author: ladykemma
i don''t see what the big deal is.

I agree, even after 4 pages I still don''t get it
26.gif
thritto but to each their own i suppose...however one wants to spend their time...
2.gif

tweeanna

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 1:42:44 PM
Author: Nicrez

Date: 3/5/2007 1:32:11 PM
Author: vespergirl
Since we''re bashing a snotty salesperson at TIffany''s, I''ll throw my story into the mix. I had some friends visiting who had never been to NY before, so of course I took them to Tiffany''s. At the time, none of us were engaged, but I already had my eye set on getting an asscher someday. I think that the Legacy rings were new, and when I saw them, I pointed them out to my girlfirends and said, ''ooh, I think that''s an asscher, just like the one that I want!'' The saleslady came over to me and said in a snotty voice, ''Actually, those are cushions, we don''t carry asschers here.'' (If you guys have seen the legacy cushion, it sort of looks like a hybrid between a cushion and an asscher). I had wanted to try it on, but I was so turned off by her dismissive attitude, that I didn''t. The following year when I got engaged, my fiance wanted to take me to Tiffany''s to pick out a ring, but I decided to go to a local diamond dealer instead that has an excellent reputation (and that carries asschers ;-) Not only did they spend hours showing us diamonds, they also got my fiance''s business - not a small chunk of change for my 2.2 carat ring! We will continue to go to the dealer that sold us my beautiful ring, and Tiffany can keep their attitude ;-)
They are NOT cushions, SHE was wrong. They are cushion LIKE... it''s actually a cushion type brilliant corwn pattern with step cut pavillion. Not nearly as many as an Asscher, and technically an asscher should exhibit the wind-mill pattern from the top and bottom steps colliding. (I went to a SUPER fascinating GIA lecture on the Asscher cut and how they differ from Sq. Emeralds).

FYI: maybe if more people do what Harriet did, they would finally understand that the sales people have a problem...Personally one small voice can start an uproar, and I am never one to be very quiet when upset...
31.gif

In response to the post above...maybe someome should send this site or posts of people who have had unfavorable experience with snotty sales person at Tiffany to the higher ups of Tiffany sales department...maybe that will help them change their sales techniques and retrain their sales associates.

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Remarks shmarks. I wouldn''t have a problem with that.

I would have a
29.gif
huge
29.gif
problem with an SA handing my wife''s ring across the customer counter to anybody but me. Don''t care if it was another Tiffany''s employee - it stays behind the counter or comes back to the owner. Nobody else.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 4:28:36 PM

Date: 3/5/2007 4:23:00 PM
Yes, it is. But, the SA''s remark was unacceptable, as was her subsequent denial of it.
So you''re upset because she made a negative comparison about a ring that you had made to copy a Tiffany design. Are you serious??? And now you''re trying to get this poor salesperson in trouble - what was she supposed to say, ''oh our classic design is great but you''re such a savy shopper, good thing you just had it copied instead?''

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Isn''t this sort of like walking into Hermes and wanting to be complimented for a Birkin look alike?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'm serious. Incidentally, my ring is hardly a Chinatown knockoff of a Birkin.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some of you disagree with my actions, and that's fine by me. I've gotten what I deem appropriate and have more important matters to attend to.
Incidentally, I told a Tiffany director about Pricescope. So, the powers-that-be can read our opnions about their staff, which will benefit all.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
That''s not my point. Your ring is still a copy of a popular Tiffany design - somehow I doubt that you would have settled on that particular design if it wasn''t for Tiffany cache associated with it. There are some well made leather copies of the famous Birkin bag, sans the Hermes tag or title. They are still trying to emulate the Hermes bag. I seriously doubt most people would go into Hermes, hand over such a bag and expect compliments.

I think you put the salespeople in an awkard position and then got all upset when they didn''t compliment/fawn over your ring. Its not a cheap copy, but its a copy. I feel sorry for the salesperson who had to deal with that. They probably thought you were wearing a Tiffany ring at first glance and then got flustered once they realized it wasn''t.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 5:50:00 PM
That's not my point. Your ring is still a copy of a popular Tiffany design - somehow I doubt that you would have settled on that particular design if it wasn't for Tiffany cache associated with it. There are some well made leather copies of the famous Birkin bag, sans the Hermes tag or title. They are still trying to emulate the Hermes bag. I seriously doubt most people would go into Hermes, hand over such a bag and expect compliments.

I think you put the salespeople in an awkard position and then got all upset when they didn't compliment/fawn over your ring. Its not a cheap copy, but its a copy. I feel sorry for the salesperson who had to deal with that. They probably thought you were wearing a Tiffany ring at first glance and then got flustered once they realized it wasn't.
1. You are mistaken as to whether or not I would have chosen the 6-prong setting had it not been associated with Tiffany. I like it simply because it is simple. If I had wanted a Tiffany ring, I could have gotten one.
2. See my original post. The SA was aware that it was not a Tiffany ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results