shape
carat
color
clarity

at what size would you switch to a CS

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1405653548|3715562 said:
I think what everyone is saying about the coloured forum is true. I have long advocated (and been howled down) that there should be a separate "Show me the coloured Stone thread" (not just a list at the top of the main forum and not just one that happens in the main forum) that way anyone can post what they have any time, without judgement..... Lots of people have coloured items but they are afraid to post what they own because they don't want everyone to say that is too pale, or what did you pay for that you got ripped off and so on, if they own something that is not the best example then they don't post pics. I am thankful for all of the great advice but it might be nice to have an area where people who are newbies or people that just love CS can display what they have and not feel intimidated in any way. Everyone can go cool ring, cool collection or whatever even if it has a big ar@# window in the centre and we can all just be happy they are happy and get on with it.
I've been a big advocate for that too, but inevitably, two things work against it:

1. People say, "Well just post it in SMTB." The problem is that most CSers don't go to SMTB. I only go there when I get really bored, because honestly, after you've seen twenty diamond solitaires, 40 eternities, a hundred studs and 200 diamond pendants, they all start to look the same. Otherwise, I tend to stick to CS, Hangout and FHH. I just happened to wander into RT today and this thread caught my eye. So CSers don't go to SMTB, and diamond people don't really care about CSs, so the threads get a few replies and then get washed into oblivion and basically archived within less than a week. Which is depressing and sad.

2. PS is a diamond forum. Advertisers are diamond people and don't really care or put an effort into colored stones. So PS isn't going to sink money into another subforum that's not about diamonds. The advertising dollars just aren't there, so it doesn't make financial sense to do it. Also, as Ella pointed out, CS has a lot less traffic than RT, so again, the numbers don't add up in our favor. Most colored gem vendors are small operations that can't afford to take out advertising on PS.

But I think that it'd make sense for the posters and maybe make CS a happier place to go, if there was a CS SMTB too. Maybe diamond people wouldn't be so afraid of CS if there was a separate technical forum and a separate Ooo pretty! forum.

I cannot tell you how many people I've helped with CSs because they were too afraid to post to CS, and that sucks. As a community, we're missing opportunities left and right to help more people and spread the love of colored gems. :doh:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1405639182|3715396 said:
I don't know what they are doing in the UK but I have noticed the price of really dark (as in that almost black blue) coloured sapphires in Australia has gone up substantially. Canturi for example has used some dark blue (almost black but with stunning blue flashes in certain light) Australian sapphires in some of their collections for example and overall I have noticed even the ones that used to be (and still are) meeeaah because they were too dark are now worth something. Really decent quality synthetic sapphires have gone up in price as well, but there are cheap Asian made products flooding the market everywhere.

I was in Canturi this morning and I still can't get my head around the black Australian Sapphs. The settings of the Metropolis line are gorgeous, but the centre stones just look like onyx or plastic, not sapphires.

I know my sapphire right hand ring doesn't have the best cut, but the colour was exactly what I was after and the price was amazing. And every stone purchase is a compromise on something, whether it's diamond or spinel or amethyst. If everything is perfect, the compromise inevitably ends up being price.

Back to the original question - I'd be happy with a plastic ring from a gumball machine if that's what we could afford. Lucky for me my husband loves buying me diamonds. But honestly, We have had a few health scares recently and the most important thing is having him here in my life.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1405657329|3715599 said:
I cannot tell you how many people I've helped with CSs because they were too afraid to post to CS, and that sucks. As a community, we're missing opportunities left and right to help more people and spread the love of colored gems. :doh:

This. In spades. I've also held off on posting items because I don't feel like being told they're hopelessly inferior to something of Elizabeth Taylor's, or to the 5 carat honker someone got twenty years ago for a song and a smile.

That said, I think a large part of the problem has already been articulated - there's not much separation between people looking for a critique of a stone they're considering and people looking for a (positive) review of a stone they treasure. Gypsy, (I can barely say it without thinking about tattoos!) the problem is exacerbated because so many people start off as you did in the sapphire thread, saying "I want honest opinions" or "Give me the benefit of your experience" or similar. It's also the case that many new posters want a gem priced, which is difficult to do at the best of times. There are a couple of posters (I'd like to single out MB for her stellar work!) who regularly enquire, tactfully, about just how brutal an opinion people want, but it's tough for some posters to find a balance between advising and judging.

It's also the case that as far as I know, there aren't any sponsor reps on CS, and it's hard to find folks who A) want to stick around and help new posters, but B) don't have their own deeply engendered preferences, or want to show off their own stuff by comparison.

Niel - Great question, even if the thread's been derailed a little - you've got the natives restless! :appl: I went with diamonds for the E-ring because that's what I was asked for... I'd probably go to a CS early and often myself, but I don't have to worry much about matching. :D

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Written by FrekeChild; I've been a big advocate for that too, but inevitably, two things work against it:

"2. PS is a diamond forum. Advertisers are diamond people and don't really care or put an effort into colored stones. So PS isn't going to sink money into another subforum that's not about diamonds. The advertising dollars just aren't there, so it doesn't make financial sense to do it. Also, as Ella pointed out, CS has a lot less traffic than RT, so again, the numbers don't add up in our favor. Most colored gem vendors are small operations that can't afford to take out advertising on PS.

But I think that it'd make sense for the posters and maybe make CS a happier place to go, if there was a CS SMTB too. Maybe diamond people wouldn't be so afraid of CS if there was a separate technical forum and a separate Ooo pretty! forum.

I cannot tell you how many people I've helped with CSs because they were too afraid to post to CS, and that sucks. As a community, we're missing opportunities left and right to help more people and spread the love of colored gems." :doh:[/quote]

I'd like to agree with this but I think that is increasingly not the case. For example the number of people who purchase coloured items or get items with coloured stone made from Leon, Victor and Steven. There has been a recent spate of beautiful coloured items that have been on the main SMTB boards which I do agree with you, half the time the CS people don't see because they are posted on the main diamond forums, piece that come to mind are Acinom's zircon in the three sided pave setting made by Victor Canera;
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-zircon-ring-dipped-in-diamond-sugar-by-victor-canera.203638/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-zircon-ring-dipped-in-diamond-sugar-by-victor-canera.203638/[/URL]

Diamondseeker's stunning diamond and sapphire deco band made by CVB;
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cvb-inspired-design-sapphire-and-diamond-deco-band.204080/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cvb-inspired-design-sapphire-and-diamond-deco-band.204080/[/URL]

There have been a large number of others that come to mind, recently there was a whole thread of items (a lot of them with CS) made by CVB. If we are talking about major vendors including a number that spend on advertising on this site and they are increasingly making pieces with coloured stones in them then it is only logical to me that CS have reached enough critical mass to have their own "Show me the coloured stones or coloured stone pieces" pics forum. I think that the time has come that enough money is being spent on these pieces that they could have their own forum and if anything the way it seems to work on the main forum is people see pieces and it inspires them to make or get something similar made thus spending more money on these items.

I would feel more comfortable asking for help searching for a coloured stone off rather than on the boards, and I am not new to CS - this really needs to change and one of the main issues that creates this is that there is no differentiation from a board where people can offer nothing but constructive advice and other board where people can just show stuff or say look what I ended up with without any fear of criticism. Most of the diamond people I know either post their CS pieces to the main forum or do not post them anywhere at all. I agree with you, we are ALL missing out on more CS eyecandy as a result of this.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
misskittycat|1405667736|3715665 said:
arkieb1|1405639182|3715396 said:
I don't know what they are doing in the UK but I have noticed the price of really dark (as in that almost black blue) coloured sapphires in Australia has gone up substantially. Canturi for example has used some dark blue (almost black but with stunning blue flashes in certain light) Australian sapphires in some of their collections for example and overall I have noticed even the ones that used to be (and still are) meeeaah because they were too dark are now worth something. Really decent quality synthetic sapphires have gone up in price as well, but there are cheap Asian made products flooding the market everywhere.

I was in Canturi this morning and I still can't get my head around the black Australian Sapphs. The settings of the Metropolis line are gorgeous, but the centre stones just look like onyx or plastic, not sapphires.

I know my sapphire right hand ring doesn't have the best cut, but the colour was exactly what I was after and the price was amazing. And every stone purchase is a compromise on something, whether it's diamond or spinel or amethyst. If everything is perfect, the compromise inevitably ends up being price.

I actually thought at first look the Canturi piece were too dark as well, but get them under good lighting or out in the sun and wow, they have amazing blue flashes that surprise you. I am besotted with their deco earrings with diamonds and either the dark blue/black Aussie cab. sapphires or the pink rubellites in the centre. They look MUCH better on than in the case :lol:

Sorry to threadjack, Niel!!!! I don't know which I would go for - coloured stone or a small diamond, depends what I found that was the best bargain!!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No reason for the thread jack apologies

Everyone is describing an issue that needed discussing in a very respectful and articulate way.

Has nothing to do with the title but I appreciate the discussion none the less.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a deep red gemstone and have for years but I'm terrified of the CS forum. Eventually I'll just buy a deep red gemstone and hope I get it right. I only read the CS forum to figure out which gem cutters are good. I'll probably just take the vendor list there, my budget, and simply buy something from a trusted vendor and never mention or speak of it again. The researcher in me hates to do that, but I'm not sure about the CS forum.

To answer the original question, I had a budget of up to $2000 USD but less was better and I considered a colour stone. I wanted something large and shiny. I fell hard for a pretty garnet in a pierced antique setting but DH wanted a diamond. In some ways I'm glad since DH doesn't agree with upgrades and garnets aren't for everyday wear.

I suppose my preference, in order, would be -
1 - small diamond, even if was 1/10 carat if the setting were interesting,
2 - coloured gemstone but it'd need to be larger than the diamond we could afford,
3 - eternity ring,
4 - pretty gold or platinum ring

I think with a smaller stone the setting starts to make more of a difference than the actual type of stone for me. I'd pick a garnet in a pierced setting over a 1/4 carat diamond in a plain setting any day.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1405625855|3715239 said:
And I suppose people who are traditional enough to want a diamond often aren't open to other things. sometimes. But I dunno even as a diamond person if I was offered a second hand vintage zircon or a .25 ct solitaire I'd pick the zircon (depending on styling)

It's funny that I always thought (and still think) a sapphire/ruby/emerald ring is more traditional than a diamond ring.

When I was watching the Mad Man TV series, I wondered which advertising agent(s) managed the successful diamond campaign for De Beers, and of course I had to consult the Google professor. :bigsmile:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
To clarify, a separate forum section for a colored stones SMTB is not about advertising but about post count. We have learned that without enough traffic to sustain separate sections within a forum, those forums die because it appears fewer people are posting. It happens each time we split off. Think of when everyone asked for an antique jewels section, jewelry pieces, or healthy lifestyle separated from Hangout, it hardly is used. When someone posts in those sections more often than not they are told to repost in RT or Hangout for help.

Once there is enough posting volume in CS where it makes sense to split the forum further we would be happy to do it. :))

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As a private person never and I like certain CS very much just do not feel as passionate about most and yes this is very subjective but a Colombian emerald would not save me any Money. I would, however wear an FCD as an engagement ring but perhaps only as it would not be my first marriage. All of this is completely personal, very interesting thread.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given a choice I would choose a small well cut diamond over a colored stone only because I'm OCD about mixy matchy. I can't wear a stone that doesn't match my clothes. Stupid and ridiculous but it's who I am. I love colored stones for their beauty but have no interest in owning any. I almost never go to the forum because of that. Once in a while I look to see others gorgeous pieces. I have not noticed any problems. *if* I got a colored stone it would be a yellow sapphire,and that's not in the budget set by Neil.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1405718447|3716134 said:
Given a choice I would choose a small well cut diamond over a colored stone only because I'm OCD about mixy matchy. I can't wear a stone that doesn't match my clothes. Stupid and ridiculous but it's who I am. I love colored stones for their beauty but have no interest in owning any. I almost never go to the forum because of that. Once in a while I look to see others gorgeous pieces. I have not noticed any problems. *if* I got a colored stone it would be a yellow sapphire,and that's not in the budget set by Neil.

You could but it just wouldn't be huge.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
For a $300 budget, considering that $300 will barely buy a new solitaire mounting, I'd say go look at used solitaires .25ct to .33 ct at pawn shops. 5-10 years ago, I could get a pretty decent diamond for that, since nobody wanted the small ones. And the standard e-ring of the generation that's passing away now probably was more in the .25ct -.33ct range and a lot of those old e-rings got sold to pawnshops here. I got a decent looking 6mm J VS1 for under $1000, loose. Prices may have gone up a bit since then, or maybe not, because the local economy is bad and the population is aged and/or lower socioeconomic that won't be buying e-rings and getting married.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella|1405707333|3715993 said:
To clarify, a separate forum section for a colored stones SMTB is not about advertising but about post count. We have learned that without enough traffic to sustain separate sections within a forum, those forums die because it appears fewer people are posting. It happens each time we split off. Think of when everyone asked for an antique jewels section, jewelry pieces, or healthy lifestyle separated from Hangout, it hardly is used. When someone posts in those sections more often than not they are told to repost in RT or Hangout for help.

Once there is enough posting volume in CS where it makes sense to split the forum further we would be happy to do it. :))

Half the posts on the front page of the main SMTB at the moment have coloured stones or coloured diamonds. Rather than putting a Show me the coloured stones thread down the list in the forum tab above I wonder if you had a SMTB diamonds only and a Show me your coloured diamonds and coloured stones and coloured items called "Show me your Colours" or something like that directly underneath SMTB it might actually get more traffic? Sometimes it is about how you lay something out and how you market it....

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
I would rather have a high quality .20 diamond in a simple setting. The colored stones I would want would be on par with diamond, price wise.
Created simulants such as cz, moissanite are big business though so apparently there are many out there that are ok with not having a diamond.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoying the discussions on this thread!
Thanks for mentioning my CS ring Arkie.

If I would start over with a fixed budget I would choose a diamond because of the timelessness and because it's mind clean in terms of Mohs hardness...
But a ruby (which will be more expensive), sapphire or other beautiful stone is equally stunning to my eyes and not at all inferior to diamonds.

Eauphelia

Rough_Rock
I think the smallest diamond I would get would be an ideal cut .25, and if that was still out of budget then I'd for an Aquamarine. I've seen quite a few Art Deco rings with Aquamarines that are really pretty. I also would have no problem getting a ring that was preloved or from a pawn shop. For some reason cluster rings never appealed to me so that'd probably be my last choice, but I feel like there's always a ring out there to make you change your mind about something you didn't think you liked.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1405627443|3715262 said:
This is perhaps how it should go:
OP: I can't afford the size diamond I want! What should I do?
PS poster: I don't know if you would be interested, but you could look into a variety of colored stones with our Colored Stone forum. They might be able to help you find something in your budget. Be warned though, with your budget, it won't be a top sapphire, ruby or emerald.

Agreed, and here is another way the conversation can go:

PS Poster: May I ask where you have been shopping for diamonds in your budget? Are you open to older cuts of diamonds? What C's are you most flexible on? We may be able to help you find a diamond in your budget, possibly in a European or Mine cut diamond, if you are open to the "romance" of having an antique stone. Alternatively, you could look into a variety of colored stones with our Colored Stone forum. They might be able to help you find something in your budget. Be warned though, with your budget, it won't be a top sapphire, ruby or emerald.

Speaking PURELY from my own perspective & experience, before coming to PS, I never really knew about older, antique diamond cuts. I just assumed they were all the same splintery style cuts in various shapes that mall stores' cases are filled with. And those really never appealed much to me having had a few. Since learning about older cuts on PS and a few other boards, and doing my own research, and seeing just how amazing, unique, charming and full of character they are, coupled with the idea of something that not only has been earth made for millions of years but also likely cut by hand in the pre-electricity, dim lighting of an era far gone, I am in serious love with them! :love:

Had I (a newbie looking for some ering bling) left the mall stores with my head down, and stumbled onto PS looking for guidance, I ignorantly would've never even thought to ask about how many TYPES of diamonds there are - only shapes - in my budget. And while old cuts are not "cheap" either, there are certainly some nice deals out there if one is agreeable to the old cut charm and truly wants a unique piece of history as part of their ering.

Again, just some newbie perspective. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1405861302|3717002 said:
FrekeChild|1405627443|3715262 said:
This is perhaps how it should go:
PS poster: I don't know if you would be interested, but you could look into a variety of colored stones with our Colored Stone forum. They might be able to help you find something in your budget. Be warned though, with your budget, it won't be a top sapphire, ruby or emerald.

Agreed, and here is another way the conversation can go:

PS Poster: May I ask where you have been shopping for diamonds in your budget? Are you open to older cuts of diamonds? What C's are you most flexible on? We may be able to help you find a diamond in your budget, possibly in a European or Mine cut diamond, if you are open to the "romance" of having an antique stone. Alternatively, you could look into a variety of colored stones with our Colored Stone forum. They might be able to help you find something in your budget. Be warned though, with your budget, it won't be a top sapphire, ruby or emerald.

Speaking PURELY from my own perspective & experience, before coming to PS, I never really knew about older, antique diamond cuts. I just assumed they were all the same splintery style cuts in various shapes that mall stores' cases are filled with. And those really never appealed much to me having had a few. Since learning about older cuts on PS and a few other boards, and doing my own research, and seeing just how amazing, unique, charming and full of character they are, coupled with the idea of something that not only has been earth made for millions of years but also likely cut by hand in the pre-electricity, dim lighting of an era far gone, I am in serious love with them! :love:

Had I (a newbie looking for some ering bling) left the mall stores with my head down, and stumbled onto PS looking for guidance, I ignorantly would've never even thought to ask about how many TYPES of diamonds there are - only shapes - in my budget. And while old cuts are not "cheap" either, there are certainly some nice deals out there if one is agreeable to the old cut charm and truly wants a unique piece of history as part of their ering.

Again, just some newbie perspective. :)

People who come here on a strict budget often are pointed toward old cuts. As they are on eBay and look nicer in lower colors, they are often recommended over MRB in lower colors colors.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1405861886|3717003 said:
People who come here on a strict budget often are pointed toward old cuts. As they are on eBay and look nicer in lower colors, they are often recommended over MRB in lower colors colors.

Okay, I hadn't seen a ton of that, but admittedly I don't read every thread so I may have missed it. My apologies. ;-)

I know that locally, with the few smaller old cuts I have bought and my "bigger" (by my standards, lol) champagne OMC, I am slowly educating people to the charm of these stones. There are NOT a lot of big stones (colored or diamond in > .75 ct) in the small town that I live in, so mine tend to draw a little attention. But for the most part it's genuine interest, and in almost every case, in terms of the old cuts, almost everyone was in the same boat I was - never heard of an OEC or OMC before.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I think my threshold for a small diamond solitaire would likely be at about 4.5-5mm, and under that I would be looking for alternatives. I strongly dislike the idea of diamond simulants, so that wouldn't be an option for me. I do like a lot of the gemstones that are considered less than desirable in tone and saturation, and I think a pale lavender spinel, aquamarine, pale peach or icy blue Montana sapphire all make gorgeous and unique e-rings at affordable prices. I would happily go with one of those in a simple setting if on a very tight budget.

The points raised about some of the difficulties in the CS forum are interesting. I've been a part of a few different forums over the years, and the level of discourse and tactfulness displayed at PS on each forum is fantastic. I've been lurking quite a bit over at CS, as I've been picking up a few different CSs. I seem to be really drawn to the slightly oddball gems. I wear mostly neutrals in clothing, and so the highly prized, candy coloured stones often don't appeal to me in terms of personal wearability as much as the stones in more subtle colours (under or over saturated, grey modifiers, etc). This is great for the ol' pocketbook, but I haven't been tempted to post any show and tell on CS, because I do perceive the focus as being strongly on the more valuable, highly saturated gems. Maybe I should start a thread called "show me your "undesirables" that you love anyway"? ;))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EvangelineG|1405869635|3717052 said:
I seem to be really drawn to the slightly oddball gems. I wear mostly neutrals in clothing, and so the highly prized, candy coloured stones often don't appeal to me in terms of personal wearability as much as the stones in more subtle colours (under or over saturated, grey modifiers, etc). This is great for the ol' pocketbook, but I haven't been tempted to post any show and tell on CS, because I do perceive the focus as being strongly on the more valuable, highly saturated gems. Maybe I should start a thread called "show me your "undesirables" that you love anyway"? ;))

I am the same way and recently (on another board) started a discussion abou what I termed "ugly duckling diamonds". I have a soft spot for "Charlie Brown Christmas tree" stones. :D

Start the thread ... I will happily participate! :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At what size would I switch to a CS?? Hmmmm... :think: probably anything under the 6 mm mark. No, that's a lie -- I'd just three stone it or halo the hell out of it!! :lol: If it had to be a solitaire with no "bells and whistles", I'd probably consider a CS at the 6.5 mm mark.

But I'm a size whore, so... :naughty:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1405872562|3717082 said:

Good siggy candidate! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella|1405653322|3715560 said:
Despite lower traffic than Rockytalky, we get far more complaints about tone and post content from Colored Stones than any other forum.

From our vantage point it seems as if some users are turned off by this forum. From a moderator's perspective, it seems as if stones in this forum are compared to the best of the best instead of best for the money. Most users have budgets and with so many flavours of colored stones we should recall that there is something for each of us and to help users not comparing to the best stone, but in relation to price, needs, and desires of the individual user. :wavey:

Ella: thank you so much for posting this. It is very helpful to have your objective perspective on the matter. Now knowing this, I wish we could take your above post, add to it and pin it in CS as an etiquette standard. I, for one, thought the days of harsh criticism in CS were pretty much relegated to the past, but obviously not!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1405655955|3715583 said:
Gypsy|1405653675|3715563 said:
Thank you Ella for the information. That said, with lower traffic and far fewer newbies on CS than RT, I'm not exactly surprised.

TL, here's my thread. The start of it was my own fault, because I was being coy and asking for comments. Which you can do on RT, but I realized quickly was not a good idea on CS. I did step in and curb that about the color, and I was very firm that I had done my homework. And once everyone got that, it went fine. And honestly, in retrospect and re-reading it now, it was more helpful than not. But I still remember feeling very deflated by the post and I actually sold the stone as a result instead o f keeping it. Some of that had to do with setting issues. But some of it also had to do with how my feelings about the stone changed as a result of the post.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeff-white-3-carat-gia-unheated-sapphire.172530/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeff-white-3-carat-gia-unheated-sapphire.172530/[/URL]

Thank you for the further explanation. I can understand perhaps feeling deflated by what people said, however, I had thought the stone was being considered before purchasing or in the return period since you were debating whether to keep it or not. Usually, in those cases, before purchase, I have noticed that CS'ers are a bit more honest and perhaps more curt sounding in their opinions, in order to help people avoid a potentially regretful purchase. I'm sorry you felt put off, and you had to eventually sell the stone. :((

I thought this as well, TL. I like to think that if someone comes to CS asking for opinions on a prospective stone seriously being considered for purchase, then people are honest in pointing out any drawbacks to the stone to make sure the OP is aware of them. BUT if the stone has already been purchased, I *thought* that as a board, respondents toned it down and gave a more balanced view and tried to draw out from the OP what they wanted and whether the stone was a good match for that; I feel like there is a lot of "If YOU love the stone, then it is the perfect stone for you" kind of comments. The treatment of newcomers (actually any OP asking for opinions) on CS is something that is periodically discussed and I honestly thought things were better recently...?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1405794274|3716656 said:
Enjoying the discussions on this thread!
Thanks for mentioning my CS ring Arkie.

If I would start over with a fixed budget I would choose a diamond because of the timelessness and because it's mind clean in terms of Mohs hardness...
But a ruby (which will be more expensive), sapphire or other beautiful stone is equally stunning to my eyes and not at all inferior to diamonds.

...and because you already have one the world's most beautiful Paraiba tourmaline rings ever!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At what size would I switch to a CS?? Hmmmm... :think: probably anything under the 6 mm mark. No, that's a lie -- I'd just three stone it or halo the hell out of it!! :lol: If it had to be a solitaire with no "bells and whistles", I'd probably consider a CS at the 6.5 mm mark.

With the combo of the right second hand eBay setting and budget friendly CS, I would easily go CS of my budget was low enough .

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EvangelineG|1405869635|3717052 said:
The points raised about some of the difficulties in the CS forum are interesting. I've been a part of a few different forums over the years, and the level of discourse and tactfulness displayed at PS on each forum is fantastic. I've been lurking quite a bit over at CS, as I've been picking up a few different CSs. I seem to be really drawn to the slightly oddball gems. I wear mostly neutrals in clothing, and so the highly prized, candy coloured stones often don't appeal to me in terms of personal wearability as much as the stones in more subtle colours (under or over saturated, grey modifiers, etc). This is great for the ol' pocketbook, but I haven't been tempted to post any show and tell on CS, because I do perceive the focus as being strongly on the more valuable, highly saturated gems. Maybe I should start a thread called "show me your "undesirables" that you love anyway"? ;))

As a regular CS poster, I just HATE hearing this! My favorite posts are when someone falls in love with a stone, it is exactly what they want, they set it and love it. If the poster has fallen in love with a non-Trade ideal and articulates it (e.g. "I love the slight grey in the stone because it makes it shift color in various lightings" or "the 1/2 and 1/2 extinction is so intriguing how it perfectly splits the stone into two tones" or "I don't mind the window in the least"), then this is the best of the best, and I am so happy that they are swimming against us many lemmings (to mix some metaphors there).

Evangeline, PLEASE post your unconventional stones! I love unconventional and so does almost everyone on the board! Just look at the grey spinel phenomenon Freke started with her love of non-Trade ideal spinels! Look at JoCoJenn's alex - now jewel of the week ring. She came knowing exactly what she wanted (again, non-Trade ideals), we discussed the pros and cons with her, and she came away with a brilliant ring (btw, JCJ, your ring is flat out gorgeous, with the intensity of color change and the two colorway hues even more saturated than before it was set; I know you will not sell it, but if you ever did, you will have people lining up).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1405883020|3717172 said:

With the combo of the right second hand eBay setting and budget friendly CS, I would easily go CS of my budget was low enough .

Finally back to your original question, Niel. It is so ironic that you of all people are asking this question; you have had tremendous success imo, with creating lovely rings from extremely low budgets. In fact, if anyone can do it, its you. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results