shape
carat
color
clarity

Assistance with Ring Purchase (Halo with Emerald)

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
msop04|1395616335|3640047 said:
TheOneHC|1395612684|3640021 said:
I love the suggestions everyone has given me, like the one by msop's: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.61-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-165574 with an LOGR (though Ebay seems to be down right now and I will look more into it when they are back up). But will an LOGR be sufficient for a lifetime without any upgrades? I'd be willing to get a good setting by increasing my budget with that diamond because I feel like it would be worth it :D Or is it not?

Or what krish suggested with this: http://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/Results/D19944845 and http://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Halo/French-Cut-Cushion-Halo-Setting/18KWhiteGold/1652 custom made.

Yes, I am very and I mean VERY newbie when it comes to all of this, and I really REALLY love the fact everyone here is very helpful. And thanks for clearing my mind about being able to get a G color as well :D

Hey, OP! Glad we didn't scare you off! :bigsmile:

Could you not get the adiamor setting and the JA stone? The problem with the adiamor stone is that you can't buy ECs by the numbers -- you really need to see them with your eyes (which is what is so nice about JA's site... videos are really helpful, so you know it's not just a "glamour shot"). The adiamor site has no photo, video, or anything else you'd need to tell if it's a good EC -- that doesn't mean the one krish listed isn't a great one, you just don't have any way of knowing... KWIM? For fancy cuts, I'm just leary of vendors that have sample photos is all. :|

I think it will make it easier to find what you're looking for with the increased budget... at least it gives you more options on settings. Gypsy's stones were awesome, and of course I'm gonna be partial to the JA EC I posted... $3K... let me look some more. :))

Haha msop, you've been VERY helpful and I can't thank you enough! :D

And yeah, you're right. I contacted Adiamor and I asked for assets but they couldn't deliver and instead said they would get it examined for me and send me the results by Monday or Tuesday. Perhaps I will post them when I get them, but I do want to see the EC so I can share it to you and the PS community, so a better route is through videos like JA like you've mentioned :).

Sounds perfect! Let me know what you can get for me! Thank you so much! :D

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
Niel|1395616402|3640050 said:
TheOneHC|1395615974|3640044 said:
krish82|1395615748|3640042 said:
I live in Japan actually and getting a ring rhodium plated is quite new to me... Lol we don't do that and our rings seem fine even in 18k. Although if his fiancé is a bit rough with jewelry then 14k would be better. I agree 14k is high quality as well and I think you should not go lower than that, but the reason I prefer 18k is because... Well there's more gold in it lol and can be a better investment, so if you can afford it for now and she's not rough with her jewelries at all then I do suggest an 18k or platinum. Mine is going to be an 18k rose gold and I might post about it here hehe. I'm kind of new here as well and totally enjoy looking at everyone's ring!

Ah i see! That's good to know haha. But 14K vs 18K shouldn't matter since it's white gold right?

not exactly. Sense 18k gold has more actual gold in it, that means there more yellow alloy in the mixture, so the result is a yellower white gold, if you go 14k, it'll be whiter after the plating wears off, you may not even need to plate it.

Makes perfect sense! Just like what you and msop posted haha :lol: 14K it is then :D

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
msop04|1395617184|3640063 said:
BOOM! :appl:

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER5822W44JJ $1375

with

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.61-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-165574 $1870 without PS discount

If you could swing this, OP, it would look AMAZING!!! :love: :love: :love:

EDIT:
This one would likely be the setting (the other was for a little larger stone)...

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7839W44JJ $1265

I LOVE it! :D Thank you!

Though I hope the diamond looks good in a setting because of it being thick and chubby haha :lol: but I really do like the shape of it.
I really want to see it set! :love:
And what's this PS discount I hear hmm? :o

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheOneHC|1395617689|3640067 said:
I LOVE it! :D Thank you!

Though I hope the diamond looks good in a setting because of it being thick and chubby haha :lol: but I really do like the shape of it.
I really want to see it set! :love:
And what's this PS discount I hear hmm? :o

It's not a lot, but every bit helps!! :praise:

krish82

Rough_Rock
Okay so I read every single one of the posts and I TRULY thank everyone for their input and wise words, they really do mean much to me. So to answer some questions..
We're not looking to upgrade the ring in the future, that's why we wanted to have this to last a lifetime, though we're willing to plate them overtime (that being 14K or 18K). So yes, we were envisioning it to be a forever e-ring and that's why we wanted to just get a halo + plus she absolute LOVES halo :love:
I am willing to increase the budget to 3K if it's worth it to get necessary things down.
Therefore, is it worth to go for LOGR? Will it last for a lifetime? I can deal with a halo for around 1500 from Adiamor making it custom leaving room for a decent diamond.
Also in regards to the diamond, Krish completely nails it on this one shown below:

krish82|1395601831|3639934 said:
I understand what OP wants because it's pretty similar to what my fiancé and I wanted. I went for a smaller diamond with great specs but G color and a setting that we BOTH liked a lot, so my diamond and setting cost about the same. We are getting a halo, and getting this because we like how it looks, not because we wanted to make it look bigger. I think it's not a bad thing to get a nice and high quality metal either, I consider them as good investments with gold and platinum getting more and more expensive worldwide. I also think that color is a personal preference. I personally like colorless, so I went for a G and nothing lower, D was also too expensive and was not necessary.

I was wondering though if OP and fiancé are planning to upgrade in the future? It seem like a lot does an upgrade after a few years.

When I asked my fiance if she wanted a bigger diamond she said she didn't care about the size of it. Just wanted it to look amazing with a halo as Krish pointed out.
I was leaning towards the D color due to the amazing ice white it gave, but G is perfectly fine after reading everyone's posts, I am definitely all ears :D

I love the suggestions everyone has given me, like the one by msop's: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.61-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-165574 with an LOGR (though Ebay seems to be down right now and I will look more into it when they are back up). But will an LOGR be sufficient for a lifetime without any upgrades? I'd be willing to get a good setting by increasing my budget with that diamond because I feel like it would be worth it :D Or is it not?

Or what krish suggested with this: http://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/Results/D19944845 and http://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Halo/French-Cut-Cushion-Halo-Setting/18KWhiteGold/1652 custom made.

Yes, I am very and I mean VERY newbie when it comes to all of this, and I really REALLY love the fact everyone here is very helpful. And thanks for clearing my mind about being able to get a G color as well :D

TheOneHC about your budget, it is up to you whether it is worth it or not, although you can get a really nice stone plus a setting with your now budget, it is up to you whether you want to go higher or not, and I think it'll be worth it if it's a forever ring! My ring is our forever ring as well and don't want to upgrade at all. My fiance's original budget was 3,000 and I picked the diamond and we were still within budget... Then when I let fiancé deal with everything, it went up to about... Well a lot more lol I asked him why and said that it's important and it's going to be my lifetime engagement ring, so paying more is worth the money lol.

Also, are you in a hurry with your ring? Adiamor also do work fast, it's because they have their own people there and then unlike retail stores that will take 6 weeks or more (I'm regretting why we just didn't go with adiamor for my setting :/). I honestly thought retail stores would be quicker in America, because in Japan they do work pretty fast even of it's a retail store. Anyway, adiamor will be able to make your ring within 3 weeks, and 2 weeks for an extra fee. Although I cannot promise you that you will never have a problem with your setting (since I don't own adiamor and there's always room for little errors here and there), it seems like more than 95% of their customers are extremely happy, and I'm definitely one of them! Anyway, just something to think about if you want your ring to get done faster.

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
msop04|1395617733|3640069 said:
This is a very pretty ring. I wonder if they could make this fit that EC?? :read: It's more square...

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...e-halo-and-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17466 $1200

Oh no.... She's more into the rectangle shaped but I thought this EC would still be good enough in terms of shape since I LOVE it. She loves the shape of rectangle and why she loves the emerald cut. hmmm

She really likes the ring to be thin... So I don't know if we can go with that :blackeye:

And YES! every bit of discount is welcome :D

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
krish82|1395617951|3640073 said:
Okay so I read every single one of the posts and I TRULY thank everyone for their input and wise words, they really do mean much to me. So to answer some questions..
We're not looking to upgrade the ring in the future, that's why we wanted to have this to last a lifetime, though we're willing to plate them overtime (that being 14K or 18K). So yes, we were envisioning it to be a forever e-ring and that's why we wanted to just get a halo + plus she absolute LOVES halo :love:
I am willing to increase the budget to 3K if it's worth it to get necessary things down.
Therefore, is it worth to go for LOGR? Will it last for a lifetime? I can deal with a halo for around 1500 from Adiamor making it custom leaving room for a decent diamond.
Also in regards to the diamond, Krish completely nails it on this one shown below:

krish82|1395601831|3639934 said:
I understand what OP wants because it's pretty similar to what my fiancé and I wanted. I went for a smaller diamond with great specs but G color and a setting that we BOTH liked a lot, so my diamond and setting cost about the same. We are getting a halo, and getting this because we like how it looks, not because we wanted to make it look bigger. I think it's not a bad thing to get a nice and high quality metal either, I consider them as good investments with gold and platinum getting more and more expensive worldwide. I also think that color is a personal preference. I personally like colorless, so I went for a G and nothing lower, D was also too expensive and was not necessary.

I was wondering though if OP and fiancé are planning to upgrade in the future? It seem like a lot does an upgrade after a few years.

When I asked my fiance if she wanted a bigger diamond she said she didn't care about the size of it. Just wanted it to look amazing with a halo as Krish pointed out.
I was leaning towards the D color due to the amazing ice white it gave, but G is perfectly fine after reading everyone's posts, I am definitely all ears :D

TheOneHC about your budget, it is up to you whether it is worth it or not, although you can get a really nice stone plus a setting with your now budget, it is up to you whether you want to go higher or not, and I think it'll be worth it if it's a forever ring! My ring is our forever ring as well and don't want to upgrade at all. My fiance's original budget was 3,000 and I picked the diamond and we were still within budget... Then when I let fiancé deal with everything, it went up to about... Well a lot more lol I asked him why and said that it's important and it's going to be my lifetime engagement ring, so paying more is worth the money lol.

Also, are you in a hurry with your ring? Adiamor also do work fast, it's because they have their own people there and then unlike retail stores that will take 6 weeks or more (I'm regretting why we just didn't go with adiamor for my setting :/). I honestly thought retail stores would be quicker in America, because in Japan they do work pretty fast even of it's a retail store. Anyway, adiamor will be able to make your ring within 3 weeks, and 2 weeks for an extra fee. Although I cannot promise you that you will never have a problem with your setting (since I don't own adiamor and there's always room for little errors here and there), it seems like more than 95% of their customers are extremely happy, and I'm definitely one of them! Anyway, just something to think about if you want your ring to get done faster.

Yeah exactly! That's why I bumped the budget a little bit, though, we got to calculate our expenses ofcourse :). Great to know I am going through the same thing as you haha :D

We aren't in a hurry to get the ring as I do not see her for another few months (long distance). So time is not an issue though good info to keep :) thanks!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheOneHC|1395618127|3640074 said:
This is a very pretty ring. I wonder if they could make this fit that EC?? :read: It's more square...

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...e-halo-and-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17466 $1200

Oh no.... She's more into the rectangle shaped but I thought this EC would still be good enough in terms of shape since I LOVE it. She loves the shape of rectangle and why she loves the emerald cut. hmmm

She really likes the ring to be thin... So I don't know if we can go with that :blackeye:

Is there any way you could show her a similar shaped EC? I may be wrong, but I think when she sees the gorgeous faceting and super-icy color, she'll fall in love! (if I had the money, I'd make it a RHR in a heartbeat!! :naughty: )

Also, if you are seriously considering any of the JA stones, you should have them put on hold ASAP... you can hold up to 3 stones with JA. You don't want any lurkers to grab it before you have a chance to! :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheOneHC|1395618329|3640075 said:
We aren't in a hurry to get the ring as I do not see her for another few months (long distance). So time is not an issue though good info to keep :) thanks!

This is good news... will give you plenty of time to review all your options.

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
msop04|1395618502|3640078 said:
TheOneHC|1395618127|3640074 said:

Is there any way you could show her a similar shaped EC? I may be wrong, but I think when she sees the gorgeous faceting and super-icy color, she'll fall in love! (if I had the money, I'd make it a RHR in a heartbeat!! :naughty: )

Also, if you are seriously considering any of the JA stones, you should have them put on hold ASAP... you can hold up to 3 stones with JA. You don't want any lurkers to grab it before you have a chance to! :))

I wonder if I can find a pic of it already set that looks similar to this... Because I bet she will! :D

Also I really like this setting as I am growing into it with that EC http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7839W44JJ :love:

I will definitely get on that NOW! haha good advice! :lol:

krish82

Rough_Rock
TheOneHC|1395616880|3640057 said:
msop04|1395616335|3640047 said:

Hey, OP! Glad we didn't scare you off! :bigsmile:

Could you not get the adiamor setting and the JA stone? The problem with the adiamor stone is that you can't buy ECs by the numbers -- you really need to see them with your eyes (which is what is so nice about JA's site... videos are really helpful, so you know it's not just a "glamour shot"). The adiamor site has no photo, video, or anything else you'd need to tell if it's a good EC -- that doesn't mean the one krish listed isn't a great one, you just don't have any way of knowing... KWIM? For fancy cuts, I'm just leary of vendors that have sample photos is all. :|

I think it will make it easier to find what you're looking for with the increased budget... at least it gives you more options on settings. Gypsy's stones were awesome, and of course I'm gonna be partial to the JA EC I posted... $3K... let me look some more. :))

Haha msop, you've been VERY helpful and I can't thank you enough! :D

And yeah, you're right. I contacted Adiamor and I asked for assets but they couldn't deliver and instead said they would get it examined for me and send me the results by Monday or Tuesday. Perhaps I will post them when I get them, but I do want to see the EC so I can share it to you and the PS community, so a better route is through videos like JA like you've mentioned :).

Sounds perfect! Let me know what you can get for me! Thank you so much! :D

Yeah I've mentioned this to OP that they don't have photos but they will check for you. Fiancé and I didn't even thought about seeing it before buying, we just did especially that the clarity was IF anyway lol. Anyway, after we got our stone, we had it checked at another jeweler and it is what it says it is, so I was happy about that, and they also have a 30days return policy no questions asked (in case you don't like it). As I have also mentioned to OP, that the first stone that I picked had a brownish or something kind of inclusion when they checked, and they immediately took this off their site, so we were able to pick another and better diamond and I was very happy that they let us know. I also looked at James Allen and other site with actual pictures... But to be honest, it's still kind of difficult for me to see the inclusions haha, so I went for adiamor cos they sell their diamonds for a cheaper price.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheOneHC|1395618716|3640081 said:
I wonder if I can find a pic of it already set that looks similar to this... Because I bet she will! :D

Also I really like this setting as I am growing into it with that EC http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7839W44JJ :love:

I will look as well and send links... :read:

krish82

Rough_Rock
Ahhhh long distance! Lol same with my fiancé and I! Lol I'm going to see him on the 26th, get married at the court house on the 31st (having a formal and bigger wedding in July 2015 in Hawaii). We will hopefully get my ring by the 28th and I can definitely show you and see what you think. I'm having a different halo though, more like a vintage style with milgrain.

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
msop04|1395619253|3640094 said:
TheOneHC|1395618716|3640081 said:

I will look as well and send links... :read:

Sweet! Thanks! :D

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
krish82|1395619323|3640098 said:
Ahhhh long distance! Lol same with my fiancé and I! Lol I'm going to see him on the 26th, get married at the court house on the 31st (having a formal and bigger wedding in July 2015 in Hawaii). We will hopefully get my ring by the 28th and I can definitely show you and see what you think. I'm having a different halo though, more like a vintage style with milgrain.

That's AWESOME :D Have fun! And definitely do show us when you get the chance as I'd love to !!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That sounds lovely, krish! Make sure you post in SMTB!! :wavey:

krish82

Rough_Rock
Also with Adiamor, I honestly wouldn't buy a VS2 or lower unless they show me a picture, which I can probably beg out of them lol, but since I also love Emerald cut, I wouldn't want to go lower than VVS2 and what I showed you is a VVS1.

Anyway, good luck though! I do hope you find the one! keep in mind that the depth and table percentage is also quite important!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

krish82

Rough_Rock
msop04|1395619914|3640104 said:

That sounds lovely, krish! Make sure you post in SMTB!! :wavey:

Definitely will! since I'm kind of new with pricescope and trying to fit in hahaha.

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
msop04|1395620102|3640106 said:
msop04|1395619830|3640102 said:
Asschergirl's EC was the first one that popped into my head when I saw that shape...
https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-stunning-25-carat-emerald-cut-diamond-ring

Here's one with almost the exact same ratio... actually, this one is more square than the JA stone...
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...307ct-k-vs1-emerald-cut-gia-amazing-cut-r5275

This is really making me itch for an EC!!! :Up_to_something: :naughty: :naughty:

GOOD! haha I was getting worried that it was literally just SQUARE :lol:

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
krish82|1395620048|3640105 said:
Also with Adiamor, I honestly wouldn't buy a VS2 or lower unless they show me a picture, which I can probably beg out of them lol, but since I also love Emerald cut, I wouldn't want to go lower than VVS2 and what I showed you is a VVS1.

Anyway, good luck though! I do hope you find the one! keep in mind that the depth and table percentage is also quite important!

Thanks so much! You've been a great help and the combination of your suggestion is still saved :D
Since I have a lot of time I want to make sure I get the best I can based on my budget :)

I appreciate all the help you've provided

TheOneHC

Rough_Rock
msop - I've held the diamond for another week. If I wanted to go with the setting from Gabriel & Co, how would I go about it? Like, who sets it? What's the procedure to take? :read:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheOneHC|1395621084|3640117 said:
msop - I've held the diamond for another week. If I wanted to go with the setting from Gabriel & Co, how would I go about it? Like, who sets it? What's the procedure to take? :read:

GREAT!!!! I'm so excited for you!!! That's gonna be one fabulous ring, and she'll love it! I'm not sure about setting... I'd call Gabriel & Co and see what they say... Let us know!! :))

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope the Adiamor mounting is still in the running since it offers what I think of as simply V-cut pavé, but what Adiamor calls "French cut pavé":
http://www.adiamor.com/blog/index.php/2014/03/18/what-is-french-cut-pave/
More distinctive, shows less metal than the more common style of pave & there's a bit of angularity (if that's a word) to it that I think would complement an EC center stone very nicely.

I'd love to see you actually view in hand at least several ECs so you can have somewhat of a real life basis for comparison (ECs aren't stamped out like widgets ;)) ) I could be mistaken since pics and a video can't tell the whole story, but the cut of the JA .61 carat, D-VVS1 doesn't thrill me, based on what's appearing on my computer screen. So that might be the reason it hasn't sold in the 5+ years since GIA issued the report on it.

(Note too that JA refrained from providing some info in the listing, like the table-depth percentages; you have to go to the GIA report itself to find those out. I'm definitely not a stickler for such & would never urge anyone to buy/not buy on the basis of this kind of thing, especially with ECs, but thought you might want to be aware of the not-great stats.)
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/emerald-cut-diamond

krish82

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1395622509|3640133 said:
Hope the Adiamor mounting is still in the running since it offers what I think of as simply V-cut pavé, but what Adiamor calls "French cut pavé":
More distinctive, shows less metal than the more common style of pave & there's a bit of angularity (if that's a word) to it that I think would complement an EC center stone very nicely.

I'd love to see you actually view in hand at least several ECs so you can have somewhat of a real life basis for comparison (ECs aren't stamped out like widgets ;)) ) I could be mistaken since pics and a video can't tell the whole story, but the cut of the JA .61 carat, D-VVS1 doesn't thrill me, based on what's appearing on my computer screen. So that might be the reason it hasn't sold in the 5+ years since GIA issued the report on it.

(Note too that JA refrained from providing some info in the listing, like the table-depth percentages; you have to go to the GIA report itself to find those out. I'm definitely not a stickler for such & would never urge anyone to buy/not buy on the basis of this kind of thing, especially with ECs, but thought you might want to be aware of the not-great stats.)

Exactly the setting that I suggested to TheOneHC! lol the price is great. It's is also one of their new products, and they have real pictures of the setting with different sizes of stones (I'm attaching one).

I just looked at the 0.61 stone,although it is a beautiful stone, it seems like the table is to big. I would personally want to see them in person anyway, so if you are gonna purchase online, make sure you can return it without any problem. Pictures can be deceiving at times lol.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1395622509|3640133 said:

I beg to differ. The cut on that stone is fab, so I'm a little confused about your statement -- it throws light like crazy and has almost no dark spots at all. Also, the GIA date doesn't mean it hasn't sold since then, it just means that's when it was graded. Someone could have easily upgraded or sold it. The date means nothing like you are suggesting. I would say that it was a good stone for the budget, but I would love to have this EC for myself! I would be very interested to see an example of what you consider to be a better cut than this. Furthermore, you can't judge fancies by numbers, so what if it's got a big table and is a little deep? It obviously doesn't affect the stone's performance negatively, because it looks great! :))

BTW... there's not a lot more you can ask from a vendor besides a photo AND video -- most don't even have a photo. Very few sites list ASETs... What info did JA not list, since everything that is listed on other stones is filled in... it is on rare occasion that they list crown and pavillion angles/percentages. I'm no expert, but I've seen enough of JA's stones to know that everything that's listed (and anything that's not) can easily be found on the cert... so no trickery there. :confused: It seems like you don't want the OP to get that stone for some reason. If you can find one with a cut that "thrills" you a little more, please take the time to find and post -- I want the OP to have a nice stone, regardless. :))

I wish the EC-gurus would chime in, as I certainly don't want to lead anyone astray.

EDIT: I do agree that seeing any stone IRL is always best, but since that isn't really possible for the OP, there are very few things that beats the photo and video option at JA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results