shape
carat
color
clarity

Assistance with e-ring upgrade

cmnova04

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

You all were a ton of help with my purchase of an engagement ring 7 years ago, and I'm now returning to properly upgrade. My wife knows I'm thinking of doing it and will happily accept an upgrade, though she loves what she has. I just am in a more comfortable financial position now, granted we do have 2 young boys now as well, so I can do much more than I could back then.

Anyway, here's the original thread if you are interested: Original Diamond Search

My wife is giving me zero help in the search or what she is looking for; she wants to be surprised. The first time I bought the setting and stone with zero help or input from her as well, I just listened and knew what she may like. Thus, I think she knows she'll be happy with whatever I chose and wants to be surprised. I find the diamond search to be a lot of fun, but upgrading has its own challenges.

This is one shot of the current ring, it's a round Brian Gavin Blue 1.345 carat, H color, SI1. Setting is Sholdt half-bezel. The idea is the same setting, either this one reset with a new stone, or purchase a new one if perhaps the stone cannot be set in the existing.
p7020138.jpg

My questions:
1. Does this style of setting still look good with a stone close to or above 2 carats? Not sure if its the type of thing where the size becomes perfect for it etc. If anyone has examples that could help :)
2. For the ladies here, if you are getting an e-ring upgrade, which of the 4Cs would you want improved the most assuming you already have an ideal cut? I feel like its carat because that is what is always noticable. I know I'll upgrade carat, but my dilemma is if I don't upgrade it enough, does it somewhat fall flat?
3. The one thing I do want is a very clean face of the diamond. The current stone is eye clean, but there is an inclusion that you can see when you put the stone 4" from your face and look for it. Does it bother her or I at all? No. But because I know its there, it just sticks in my mind haha.
4. Anyone have experience with a BGD pre-order? I found a few I like based on the info available, but the prices seem a little too good to be true? Maybe I'm missing something.

My budget is pretty flexible, I'll be comfortable with any diamond that costs $25K - $40K (big range I know) before trade-in value from an affordability standpoint. I do fear both of us would be nervous with a piece of jewelry that is so valuable though, but I assume that fades over time, similar to her e-ring now.

To give you a sense of how all over the place I am in my search, here are 3 contenders (of which there are many):
#1 2.352 G VVS2
#2 2.735 J VVS1
#3 2.117 H VS2

Any advice?

Reactions: AV_

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Your wife is a lucky lady! I love the setting she currently has, but I wonder if it will be too "thick" with a large stone? I would recommend focusing on carat, while also maintaining or upgrading color and clarity. I wouldn't go down to a J if she has a H now. Perhaps a VS stone would be cleaner?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/2.62-h-vs1-brian-gavin-preorder-round-bfg-13633

This one would be my pick. It gets you higher in clarity since it seems like the SI1 you currently have isn’t mind clean. I ordered a custom cut stone, not a preorder one, and the process was smooth, so I expect the preorder process will be fine also. The G you chose is overkill on clarity. The J is a bit low in color on a larger stone. The H you chose is nice, but you could go a bit larger.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not go down to a J. The G would be nice but quite expensive. It would be nice if the H was a bit bigger.

The one that @coda72 posted above would be perfect (nice size, same color, upgrade on clarity). Just make sure there won't
be an inclusion on the table (not sure if they can tell you that or not with pre-order).

Edit
Sholdt thread...page 2 has a 2 carat in the same setting. Also page 4 and 5 show a large cushion in the same setting. Both look really nice to me!

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is nice to choose between good options!

I do not know how they would adapt the setting to a larger stone - keeping proportions or measurements (height to table, band width) as little changed as possible, likely, both will change somewhat - there is wisdom to these rings (I love them & full bezels even more.)

thinking out loud

AV_

Ideal_Rock
ctd

I would ask BGD if they could offer a colourless, larger stone on the Blue line - a D/E 'Blue' would perk my ears (OK, mine).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely wouldn’t go down to J color in a larger stone if she has an H now. If she is fine with the H color stick with that unless you think she would enjoy a higher color. I like the G color stone you posted - not sure how much the VVS clarity factors in - sometimes not as much as you think and then others you pay a high premium for it.

What would you consider to be an ideal size diamond for her?

cmnova04

Rough_Rock
Thanks, very helpful!

So sounds like stick to H or better. Clarity don't fret over, just do best to determine it fits my own personal definition of eye clean rather than the standard from 10" away (or as Coda put it "mind clean"; I like that!).

That 2.62 stone is another I had saved, just was a pre-order so wasn't quite sure. The other option I liked was this pre-order as well: 1.96 H VVS1. I thought the price seemed too good to be true with that one? Also worried because I thought something 1.9-1.99 carat would be VERY rare so not sure if something off with it... granted its still a BGD so maybe over thinking it.

She's petite, 5'3". I don't know what an ideal size diamond would be. My worry was something over 2 carat may not look good witht he sholdt setting, which is important to keep same style. Tyty3333's link to those photos show me those worries are unfounded and it'd definitely work.

But still no idea the ideal size diamond for her haha. I guess any woman would say as many carats as possible!?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With regards to ideal size, what does she do for a job and hobbies? If she uses her hands a lot, going too large wouldn’t be a good idea especially if she’s someone who likes to wear her ring all the time. Also while she might be petite, what is her ring size? Once you know that, you can put potential contenders in here (diamdb.com) and see how they look on her size finger.
I think that setting would look great with a larger stone.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
My worry was something over 2 carat may not look good witht he sholdt setting, which is important to keep same style. ...still no idea the ideal size diamond for her haha.

I feel these bezel rings are never loud, even if everything in them is OTT.

I cannot know what she would feel comfortable wearing - for style, value or mechanics, and all count; I expect the designer knows all there is to know about the last part (mechanics) and the ring will be comfortable (eg. if the height - table of diamond to finger - does not go up more than one mm, which is not little for a ring, I wouldn't not expect the new ring to feel 'too much', just more)

The 1.96 is intriguing; I would take color over clarity. The size increase from 1.3 to 2 will show; from 2 to 2.5 the jump is smaller; perhaps a 'why not' sort of thing.

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think that setting will be too much in a larger size. I would go higher on color, for sure.

cmnova04

Rough_Rock
With regards to ideal size, what does she do for a job and hobbies? If she uses her hands a lot, going too large wouldn’t be a good idea especially if she’s someone who likes to wear her ring all the time. Also while she might be petite, what is her ring size? Once you know that, you can put potential contenders in here (diamdb.com) and see how they look on her size finger.
I think that setting would look great with a larger stone.

Desk job, and likes to work out. But even now, she doesn't work-out with her ring on, or when she cooks etc. I'll try that site out though.

cmnova04

Rough_Rock
...and the ring will be comfortable (eg. if the height - table of diamond to finger - does not go up more than one mm, which is not little for a ring, I wouldn't not expect the new ring to feel 'too much', just more)

The 1.96 is intriguing; I would take color over clarity. The size increase from 1.3 to 2 will show; from 2 to 2.5 the jump is smaller; perhaps a 'why not' sort of thing.

Interesting, didn't think of that, the height goes up.

There is also this one, issue is I can see that darn crystal right smack dab in the center:

Okay so you all gave me some great advice. I think I'll try to get best color I can, that is at least 1.8 carat, that meets my 'mind-clean' criteria, irregardless of actual clarity.

Easier said than done haha

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely want to hit the 2ct mark for an upgrade! 1.35 to 1.8, while a jump, wouldn’t be as noticeable of a difference and you have a healthy budget. I looove the stone that @coda72 suggested for the size/price combo :kiss2: how about setting it into a temporary simple 6 prong setting and letting her pick out a permanent setting once you surprise her? If that one is too large, my second choice would be your #3 stone (2.117 HVS2)....love the G but it’s too expensive and that clarity is overkill IMO.

Would you consider trading in your stone with another vendor? WF has much larger inventory, better pricing and a more flexible upgrade policy. Any of these stones would be gorgeous choices...better color and clarity!

Last edited:

cmnova04

Rough_Rock
Would you consider trading in your stone with another vendor? WF has much larger inventory, better pricing and a more flexible upgrade policy. Any of these stones would be gorgeous choices...better color and clarity!

I would, I was looking at HPD as well, but I kept seeing inclusions in those 40x videos from the stones there that fit the bill and I know that'll irk me.

I don't know much about whiteflash or how much I'd get for trading in the existing diamond with them. That's the only downfall of others.

I went there anyway, found this and got excited:

But ugh that crystal. Clarity grades boggle my mind.

Last edited:

cmnova04

Rough_Rock
Ahhh ac117, they have a ton of inventory.

That one is really nice. I don't know how to read the charts but is all that light leakage in gray on the grading report normal or a concern?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh ac117, they have a ton of inventory.

That one is really nice. I don't know how to read the charts but is all that light leakage in gray on the grading report normal or a concern?

Yes so much inventory which is why I recommended them!! HPD is also a great vendor! They will both (HPD and WF) consider trade in of other stones, which I don’t think you’ll have a problem with since your wife’s original stone is a BGD - doesn’t hurt to ask!

I don’t like the inclusion on the D VS2 stone either. Clarity is graded under magnification though so that’s what you need to keep in mind. Generally it shouldn’t be a problem in person but there are so many rounds to choose from why settle for one with an inclusion you may see and bother you. The 1.995 F VS1 is an AMAZING choice, it’s rare to find a stone with that carat weight, which looks like a 2ct but doesn’t have the price premium associated with it. Absolutely no leakage in that stone - it’s a beaut! The ASET on the grading report is computer generated, the actual ASET/IS images on the WF site are more accurate.
This stone at HPD is gorgeous as well:
And this one: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10645
There are others but they are future diamonds so I didn’t post them since images aren’t available and production is halted due to the pandemic.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I ought to mention this exists - 2.22 E/VS1 WWW & some reference www , www , www (I have not checked HCA scores on the Blue Nile stones. The 'virtual selection' at Brian Gavin Diamonds may well contain the same.)

The possibility of trade-in for H&A makes the prices not strictly comparable, however, I had to see.

I have not made my mind.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Wait,

WWW 2.1 G/VS

A search over all the Ideal inventory at Brian Gavin over 1.8 carats, less than 30K turned this and an emerald cut up; the letter is my favorite, but you have never nentioned step cuts.

cmnova04

Rough_Rock
Wait,

WWW 2.1 G/VS

A search over all the Ideal inventory at Brian Gavin over 1.8 carats, less than 30K turned this and an emerald cut up; the letter is my favorite, but you have never nentioned step cuts.

Sorry, looking for round only.

cmnova04

Rough_Rock
I do see a 2.94 H VVS2 on there for preorder at 48k as well, that's a bit intriguing to me I must admit.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I do see a 2.94 H VVS2 on there

I only remember a couple of H&A rounds over three carats talked about around here, at least one H. Three carats is large enough to see what the color grade is about, unlike 1.3; H is subtle & unobjectionable IMHO.

cmnova04

Rough_Rock
I only remember a couple of H&A rounds over three carats talked about around here, at least one H. Three carats is large enough to see what the color grade is about, unlike 1.3; H is subtle & unobjectionable IMHO.

Meaning the color would be off-putting at this carat size if I'd like it to look colorless? As you mention, at 1.3 we don't see color in the current H stone

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'd say GIA is right to be calling their grades 'near colourless' - I am not seeing color in them. Because the three carat H is not a trifle, I'd say you would want to know if you care about its so called 'color'.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
ref. you might have seen this story of >2.5 H&A, G and H compared: www

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have an I colored BG stone over 3 carats, and I don’t see tint in it even from the side, so I think you would be fine with an H stone that’s almost 3 carats. Of course, everyone’s sensitivity to color is different, and you would have to see the stone in person to determine if there‘s a tint to it that bothers you.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
This is a fun project and your wife is going to love whatever you select. A pretty sparkly will bring some light into these difficult times.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results