color
clarity

Help a newbie picking a loose round diamond for an e-ring

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help a newbie picking a loose round diamond for an e-rin

cmnova04|1370476530|3459740 said:
Wondering how these BGS diamonds compare to the BG Blues as they are significantly less expensive, albeit less carats. Appreciate any feedback.

1.220 H SI1 Select Round
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.220-h-si1-round-diamond-gia-45243800

1.180 H VS2 Select Round (has no report or images so not sure anyone can say anything about this right now)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.180-h-vs2-round-diamond-gia-38773852

those are not at the same cut quality as the other brian gavin stones are. they may be well performing, but they arent to the same level as those other two BG categories.

Also, i could be wrong, but i dont think they have the same upgrade policies as inhouse stones with BG.

Now you do not need a signature ideal cut diamond. They are nice, but you can get a well performing stone that isnt a "banded" cut. If you go that route though, id go with James allen or Good old Gold

ETA: i did a quick look though JA and i dont see anything id pick over those BGB's

cmnova04

Rough_Rock

Whoop, diamond images are up!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.345-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104064812050

Denise at BGD says eye clean. Obviously I know that image is way zoomed in, think that little spec in the center is a big deal?

Leaning towards either the Sholdt Ava (half-bezel), The Allie (plain shank halo.. unfortunately more expensive as its only in plat), Grace (sleek 4 prong solitaire), or Sholdt Minnie (sleek 4 prong solitaire).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is their definition of eye clean?

Of its due clean from the top AND sides from 6inches? If it is I say go for it. Otherwise I'd look into that other 1.2 BG blue.

Eta has she shown interest in a halo setting?

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock

I would be very concerned about the large crystal in the center of the stone. I doubt it is eye clean from every angle and distance. Remember your fiancé will be examining this stone a million times over the years and I would hate for her to discover a visible inclusion when she tilts the stone a certain way.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

plummiecat|1370540322|3460233 said:
I would be very concerned about the large crystal in the center of the stone. I doubt it is eye clean from every angle and distance. Remember your fiancé will be examining this stone a million times over the years and I would hate for her to discover a visible inclusion when she tilts the stone a certain way.

I agree. If it is eye clean that's awesome. I'd just make sure it really is, because I feel like it isn't. this one is still in the size you wanted, and a nice price, leaving you more money for that sholdt or other plat setting. And I feel like has a better chance of being eye clean.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.211-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104064812016

cmnova04

Rough_Rock

Niel/Plummie - Thanks for the tips, I've went back and asked. Definitely a potential bummer, but I suppose that is one reason it seemed like such a great value for 1.345 carats with a beautiful cut.

As for expressing interest in halo, not specifically but keep in mind there's been modest ring talk at most since I'm trying to make this a surprise despite our mutual friends having expected a proposal on the last few vacations and constantly asking when when when. That said, what woman wouldn't like a halo, they look great!!! She has simple classic tastes, thats why if I did go with a halo, it'd be with a plain shank to keep it clean.

ETA: Denise @ BGD:
"You can not see that speck with the naked eye. "Eye clean" is from 10 inches but even closer you can not see anything. "

I'm inclined to go with it based on that, but not sure if those with more experience working with BGD have better insight on if I should steer clear. I would be bummed if it does show, and now that I look at other images you can see what might be this problem area.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cmnova04|1370541893|3460257 said:
"You can not see that speck with the naked eye. "Eye clean" is from 10 inches but even closer you can not see anything. "

I'm inclined to go with it based on that, but not sure if those with more experience working with BGD have better insight on if I should steer clear. I would be bummed if it does show, and now that I look at other images you can see what might be this problem area.

Go for it!! It's a great size too! :appl:

(Then, post a ton of pictures once you receive it...) :naughty:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cmnova04|1370541893|3460257 said:
Niel/Plummie - Thanks for the tips, I've went back and asked. Definitely a potential bummer, but I suppose that is one reason it seemed like such a great value for 1.345 carats with a beautiful cut.

As for expressing interest in halo, not specifically but keep in mind there's been modest ring talk at most since I'm trying to make this a surprise despite our mutual friends having expected a proposal on the last few vacations and constantly asking when when when. That said, what woman wouldn't like a halo, they look great!!! She has simple classic tastes, thats why if I did go with a halo, it'd be with a plain shank to keep it clean.

I trust denise personally, so i say go for it. I used to have a halo, and actually opted to not halo my ring the second time around, the additional finger coverage is great, but it felt too "blingy" if you know what i mean. I love a big diamond, but im not a melee girl, exactly. but thats personal preference. I understand the want to surprise her, and a stone that size, especially if she isnt expecting it, will blow her away, i just think safe bet if you want to surprise her would be to go with a similar style you know she already likes.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I can see an inclusion from the side of my stone, but it doesn't bother me. Initially I thought that it would but truly once I knew it was there, I stopped looking for it and almost never examine my stone from that angle now, unless I'm comparing it's color with another stone and then I'm not looking for the inclusion anyway. I'd go for the 1.3 BGB, it's a gorgeous stone. :love: :love: I think that I would also go with a simple solitaire. It can be upgraded for a special occasion or anniversary....if she is anything like us, her taste will change over the years anyway. ;))

cmnova04

Rough_Rock

Placing the order today, still going back and forth on between two Sholdt settings, so it'll be a surprise even to me what I end up with.

I hated going in the mall jewelers and even a lot of the smaller jewelers locally here in CT. I was ready to go to the diamond district in NYC and then I found this place, which was a godsend because I think I would've passed out in NYC!! :lol: :lol:

So much wonderful help here, never would've found BGD without you guys. I'm 100% positive my SO will be as thrilled with the setting/ring as I have been just in my dealings with Denise at BGD.

I'll be sure to share pictures with everyone as a small token of my appreciation!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh great! Can't wait to see what you pick. Especially if its one of those sholdts, but really anything will be just beautiful!!

Did you figure out her size?

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

How exciting! and beautiful stone
can't wait to see the finished product :appl:

cmnova04

Rough_Rock

Niel|1370611721|3460840 said:
Oh great! Can't wait to see what you pick. Especially if its one of those sholdts, but really anything will be just beautiful!!

Did you figure out her size?

Yes, had a friend of hers that I know won't say anything find out. She is a 7, which surprised me, thought she'd be closer to a 6. It's about right though, I sized some rings she has now using those printed ring size sheets, and depending on the ring they all ranged from 6-7... I just didn't know what fingers she wears them on.

Should be good to go :)

cmnova04

Rough_Rock

So I finally picked up the ring yesterday.

Looked at it several times yesterday and was wickedly impressed. Took it out again briefly today to look for the crystal on the report and the picture of the diamond. It seems to be almost sitting right at the surface of the diamond and just off center and I can see it pretty clearly once I found it, from as far away from at least 10 inches or more.

Now the diamond and setting itself is beautiful, but I'm a little offput since its not really eye-clean. I guess that was the risk I was taking, just a little bummed. Can't believe I didn't notice it at all yesterday, it's likely less noticeable in a well light room.

Just thought I'd share with where I was in the process so many of you helped me with.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

. nova04|1372789975|3476098 said:

Looked at it several times yesterday and was wickedly impressed. Took it out again briefly today to look for the crystal on the report and the picture of the diamond. It seems to be almost sitting right at the surface of the diamond and just off center and I can see it pretty clearly once I found it, from as far away from at least 10 inches or more.

Now the diamond and setting itself is beautiful, but I'm a little offput since its not really eye-clean. I guess that was the risk I was taking, just a little bummed. Can't believe I didn't notice it at all yesterday, it's likely less noticeable in a well light room.

Just thought I'd share with where I was in the process so many of you helped me with.

Oh golly ;( Do you think part of it is that you know where to look?

What setting did you go with do you have pics??

cmnova04

Rough_Rock

Niel|1372790753|3476111 said:
. nova04|1372789975|3476098 said:

Oh golly ;( Do you think part of it is that you know where to look?

What setting did you go with do you have pics??

I went with the Sholdt semi-bezel (Ava on BGD).

I'd say a big part of it is I know where to look, but literally it looks like it's in almost the exact center of the stone so not sure it's in such an obscure area. It's weird, sometimes its all I can see... other times I pick it up and I have to twist and turn to find it, but once I do, all I can see again. Hmm.

Here are some pictures, though it doesn't really let you see it and I don't know how to take shots that are much better!

cmnova04

Rough_Rock

p7020135.jpg

p7020136.jpg

p7020137.jpg

p7020138.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Holy wow that's that's absolutely stunning. Truly.

What I would do is give it to her soon. Not mention anything about the inclusion. But say if there's anything she doesn't like to tell you....

If she says something about it, deal with it then, maybe return it for a difffdrent stone, though mention if you did that it might have to go down in size ..

Truly I suspect you are sticking that stone up to your nose and looking for an inclusion. I can understand the impulse but it'll make it look worse than it is :wavey: . Put it on your pinky and stink it in front of your hand on a table or something, like a foot away. That's how she will look at it.

From that picture I see no inclusion just a stunning stunning diamond ring

cmnova04

Rough_Rock

Thanks! That was actually my exact plan. I wasn't going to return it unless she said something as I'm still very happy with the stone. In light it really looks phenomenal and the last thing you'd do is look for the little crystal.

Funny, the Sholdt semi-bezel looks bulky in pictures, it's really very fluid and sleek in person. Pictures don't really do it justice!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cmnova04|1372797357|3476193 said:
Thanks! That was actually my exact plan. I wasn't going to return it unless she said something as I'm still very happy with the stone. In light it really looks phenomenal and the last thing you'd do is look for the little crystal.

Funny, the Sholdt semi-bezel looks bulky in pictures, it's really very fluid and sleek in person. Pictures don't really do it justice!!

That's one of my top setting ever, and the size is just perfect for that setting. She's going to be blown away!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results