shape
carat
color
clarity

Asschers! (Generic, Octavia...)

greenfinn

Rough_Rock
Hello All, love this site!

Been researching stones with my fiance. We are on budget, 5-7K. Was finding seemingly good stones on enchanted diamonds, blue nile, etc. 1 carat FL/IF/VVS1-2 and D-F range. And then I found you and Good Old Gold and the Octavia Asscher. Very torn and glad to have this problem.

Questions:
What are the most information and great to work with diamond sites out there?
Who else besides GOG sells Octavia Asschers?
GOG offers a "Signature Asscher" - is this their take on an Ocatvia?
Do any other purveyors offer something close to the Octavia as well?

Thanks so much!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Old Gold specializes in well cut stones of many shapes. They will call in regular asschers to help you find the best possible cut one, and they also carry Octavias (the only source of those, and they do not have many so you might have to have one custom cut) which are very different from regular asschers and much more expensive, as well as their signature cuts which are regular asschers cut with some wide center facets for the light return. I prefer well cut traditional asschers because I like antique style stones and they are also the most reasonably priced of those three. Once you get into specialty cuts, you pay a price premium, and I would not consider that with a budget of $5-7k. Asschers face up small, so I'd go with the largest, well cut regular asscher that you can find.

I bought one from them a couple of years ago to go in a ring I had. Here is the video they made for me to help me choose the best stone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SBfNGxTFE&list=UUEV7slr-i-VduBBnfv9MxhA&index=2

Gorp512

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'm literally in the same exact boat as you and have found that, yes, asschers don't have the same kind of brilliance of other stones, but one unique unto themselves. A well cut traditional asscher is really like nothing else. They face up smaller, but still have a proprietary facets that make up for the smaller size.

Diamondseeker, did you wind up with any in that video? They are all very attractive.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorp512|1464543087|4037780 said:
I'm literally in the same exact boat as you and have found that, yes, asschers don't have the same kind of brilliance of other stones, but one unique unto themselves. A well cut traditional asscher is really like nothing else. They face up smaller, but still have a proprietary facets that make up for the smaller size.

Diamondseeker, did you wind up with any in that video? They are all very attractive.

Yes, I chose the second one! They were all nice but that one stood out to me. It was for a right hand ring.

_37378.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don't need such high color and clarity.

A G Vs2 that is eyeclean will be a white and clean stone that will be lovely.

So expand your specs and shop based on images.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she prioritize high color and clarity over size? Most don't, but some do, particularly outside of American culture

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, my stone above is an H. I'd certainly look at G and VS1 which is totally eyeclean (inclusions are very hard to see with a 10x loupe!). Finding a well cut asscher is more important than color and if you limit yourself to only D-F VVS, you could be missing out on a better cut stone. Not to mention, you'll gain a little size!

greenfinn

Rough_Rock
These are re-affirming replies, thank you all!

Gypsy, thanks for helping me to expand my parameters a bit.

diamondseeker2006 your stone and ring are fantastic! Thanks for posting the video and pic!

greenfinn

Rough_Rock
Gorp512|1464543087|4037780 said:

Good luck! Maybe we can both post on our process/progress...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results