shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Specs....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi DiamondsRForever!

Just thought I''d chime in. I am currently reviewing a diamond from WF - it was one of their "Expert Selections". Here is the thread where you can see pictures and read the discussion.

Asscher Question

I was reading the upgrade policy on the GOG website and it doesn''t appear to apply to asschers. Also NiceIce charges a 10% restocking fee. Whiteflash is 100% trade-in, no exceptions, it seems. I''m not sure if this would be a factor in your vendor decision.

Storm is a great help, right? Garry is a little less strict when it comes to numbers, and allows for the idea of a "kicken" asscher to fall outside the "Storm range". They have good discussions. Both seem to generally agree when it comes to ASET images though.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi starry,

Just wanted to clarify. Tradein's & buybacks include all stones we give a 2 thumbs up to including Asschers and Cushions. We're making changes on our site and this may not have been addressed in those changes yet. BTW congrats on your new ice! :)

Peace,

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
That''s good to know Rhino. I hope you''ll be able to incorporate this policy on your website - I''m sure it''s important to a lot of folks out there particularly on fancy-shapes that might be faddish....

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2006 11:18:00 AM
Author: starryeyed
Hi DiamondsRForever!

Storm is a great help, right? Garry is a little less strict when it comes to numbers, and allows for the idea of a ''kicken'' asscher to fall outside the ''Storm range''. They have good discussions. Both seem to generally agree when it comes to ASET images though.
I have no less strict opinions.
But I do not like to attempt to make decisions based on too little information and I do not include favorite suppliers as part of the information that helps me decide if a diamond is good or not.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 3:22:58 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Hi DiamondsRForever!

Storm is a great help, right? Garry is a little less strict when it comes to numbers, and allows for the idea of a ''kicken'' asscher to fall outside the ''Storm range''. They have good discussions. Both seem to generally agree when it comes to ASET images though.
But I do not like to attempt to make decisions based on too little information and I do not include favorite suppliers as part of the information that helps me decide if a diamond is good or not.
Im not sure what your implying there if anything but just to be very clear... "When it comes to calling them in your better off dealing with suppliers that are known for cutting good asschers, it saves time and money" You can quote me on that :}
Once they are in hand then the cutter doesnt matter.
No asscher including RA''s get a pass because of who cut them, no vendor gets a pass either.

Given 2 asschers, all you have is numbers and no pictures, one from the top cutters and one unknown it makes sence to call the one from the top cutter in first.
When picking a vendor for them it makes sense to pick one that has made asschers a part of their business and has made the contacts with the top cutters rather than a vendor that does not dont care about them or makes them a 3 or 4 a year sideline.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

Hi DiamondsRForever!

Oh dear, Garry, I hope I didn''t offend you. Perhaps I was too brief - I don''t think your opinions are any less strict. I have utmost respect for your judgment and you''ve been VERY helpful to me. What I meant to say is that Storm has developed some approx. proportion ranges for "kicken" asschers. These ranges are useful for selecting which stones to "call in", but I understood that it''s possible to miss a nice one if one uses these ranges alone. You have said the following:

"Starryeyed there are 3 crown angles and 3 pavilion angles - so that gives about 1 million proportion combinations to model with that info. It is why we try to tell people not to bother attempting to make fancy shape decisions based on proportions."

I guess I took that to mean a "kicken" asscher might fall outside of Storm''s recommended proportion ranges because there are so many variables. I further understood that photos and ASET images are the most helpful when deciding if the stone is "kicken".

If I misunderstood or offended you in any way, I am sorry.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2006 4:57:39 PM

Hi DiamondsRForever!

Oh dear, Garry, I hope I didn''t offend you. Perhaps I was too brief - I don''t think your opinions are any less strict. I have utmost respect for your judgment and you''ve been VERY helpful to me. What I meant to say is that Storm has developed some approx. proportion ranges for ''kicken'' asschers. These ranges are useful for selecting which stones to ''call in'', but I understood that it''s possible to miss a nice one if one uses these ranges alone. You have said the following:

''Starryeyed there are 3 crown angles and 3 pavilion angles - so that gives about 1 million proportion combinations to model with that info. It is why we try to tell people not to bother attempting to make fancy shape decisions based on proportions.''

I guess I took that to mean a ''kicken'' asscher might fall outside of Storm''s recommended proportion ranges because there are so many variables. I further understood that photos and ASET images are the most helpful when deciding if the stone is ''kicken''.

SEyed i am certainly not offended by your comment, but just wanted to clarify that one consumer who likes Asschers and has some rules of thumbs that define his search criteria and frequent posting is not (in my opinion) a ''grading''.
There have been many instances where it has appeared to me that storms conclusions have been biased. I buy and sell asschers - and would also like to formulate some ''rules'' to narrow my searches, but I find that ''Parameters'' are a very poor and blunt instrument with asschers.

An ASET and DiamCalc or Gem Adviser 3D file are very important tools, and anyone who claims they can make an unseen judgement from a few %''s or a single photo is as we say down under "is dream''in"

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 5:32:46 PM

Date: 12/15/2006 4:57:39 PM

Hi DiamondsRForever!

Oh dear, Garry, I hope I didn''t offend you. Perhaps I was too brief - I don''t think your opinions are any less strict. I have utmost respect for your judgment and you''ve been VERY helpful to me. What I meant to say is that Storm has developed some approx. proportion ranges for ''kicken'' asschers. These ranges are useful for selecting which stones to ''call in'', but I understood that it''s possible to miss a nice one if one uses these ranges alone. You have said the following:

''Starryeyed there are 3 crown angles and 3 pavilion angles - so that gives about 1 million proportion combinations to model with that info. It is why we try to tell people not to bother attempting to make fancy shape decisions based on proportions.''

I guess I took that to mean a ''kicken'' asscher might fall outside of Storm''s recommended proportion ranges because there are so many variables. I further understood that photos and ASET images are the most helpful when deciding if the stone is ''kicken''.

SEyed i am certainly not offended by your comment, but just wanted to clarify that one consumer who likes Asschers and has some rules of thumbs that define his search criteria and frequent posting is not (in my opinion) a ''grading''.
There have been many instances where it has appeared to me that storms conclusions have been biased. I buy and sell asschers - and would also like to formulate some ''rules'' to narrow my searches, but I find that ''Parameters'' are a very poor and blunt instrument with asschers.

An ASET and DiamCalc or Gem Adviser 3D file are very important tools, and anyone who claims they can make an unseen judgement from a few %''s or a single photo is as we say down under ''is dream''in''
Which conspiracy theory you been listening to this week Garry?
Let me know who they are saying I work for this week so I can say bad things about them next week. LOL
Everyone knows I dont work for any of em so its kinda funny :}

It is certainly possible to select asschers with a few numbers and a good image or 3.
200+ likely closer to 300 consumers have done just that.

The gem files and aset images help but when they arent available its possible to do without them.

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
Alright guys so i ask for another stone to be brought in. Please share your thoughts just to see if I''m on the same page as you guys...

1.31 H VS1

DI40X_GIA15294823.jpg

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
Thanks garry, looks like Im on the same page! I''ll attach the ASET as soon as i get it

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
bleck

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 5:49:43 PM
Author: diamondsRforever
lol...bleck?!?
windmills are way way too small, corners 2.. they go together.
Misscuts on a few facets
sucky light return.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 6:00:14 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 12/20/2006 5:49:43 PM
lol...bleck?!?
windmills are way way too small, corners 2.. they go together.
Misscuts on a few facets
sucky light return.
Too me the windmills are just too narrow or small as Storm pointed out. I''d say pass on this one, you can do much better. Especially since this is for a ring!!!

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
thanks garry and storm for your input. totally agree with everything that you guys said!!! =)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry about the short reply earlier (bleck) its a bad arm day today and getting nervous about friday.
Pain meds are kicken is so I can type :}

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
sorry to hear storm...feel better hope to have you back in full effect soon!!! =)

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
is this stone worth calling in?

Report: GIA
. Shape: Asscher
. Carat: 1.27
. Depth %: 68.7
. Table %: 63
. Girdle: TK-VTK
. Measurements: 6.04-6.04X4.15
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Very Good
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
by the numbers but it would be a big help if the vendor calls and gets more info before spending more calling it in.

Garry are you starting to get why I say its very important for the vendor to know the source for these stones and have a relationship with them?

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
what other info does a vendor need to know from the supplier before bringing in the stone?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 9:59:55 PM
what other info does a vendor need to know from the supplier before bringing in the stone?
I'd ask about symetrical patterns, how large the cut corners are and how even the windmills are and if the center of the stone is bright when held over a dark background and if the crown height is over 10%.
That would be a good start.

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
storm, you''re always there to the rescue... Your knowledge and inputs are much appreciated!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 10:33:48 PM
storm, you''re always there to the rescue... Your knowledge and inputs are much appreciated!!!
Your welcome :}
Asschers are the diamonds I love the most and it makes me very happy to help people get great ones that they love :}

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results