shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher search - help needed

darby

Rough_Rock
I'm a long time lurker seeking advice on finding an asscher. My budget is about 30 - 35k and I'm looking in the 2 to 3 carat range. I prefer a minimum of G VS1 and am looking for great light performance. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions - thanks!

darby

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Nina. I found a GIA Ex/Ex 2.3 D VVS1 at my local jeweler. I had them provide an ASET image but it was very green - not much red. I'm trying to decide if I should keep looking.

darby

Rough_Rock
I agree, Nina. Not a small investment! Do you have any suggestions of potential stones that you like which I can look at online?

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
Make sure you look at the stone in a variety of lighting conditions. I have an asscher and I just don't love it because it looks dark in places in some lighting conditions. It's an F colour, VS1.

darby

Rough_Rock
This is the ASET of the stone I mentioned in my post. Would love to hear opinions.

_38026.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call Good Old Gold.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For an asscher its not bad at all.

darby

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, do you think there's enough red under the table? Worried about P3 angle and hoping for more more red/green balance.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would prefer more red, probably.

But what I really need is a picture of the stone. And preferably a video to advise you further. I do agree with the GOG recommendation.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please post GIA report.

darby

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy -

The jeweler won't release the GIA report until after purchase - not sure if it helps but the dimensions are 7.32 x 7.30 x 4.85.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
darby|1471190271|4065875 said:
Hi Gypsy -

The jeweler won't release the GIA report until after purchase - not sure if it helps but the dimensions are 7.32 x 7.30 x 4.85.

That is a massive red flag, IMHO. What in the world is their reasoning for that?! That alone would make me run away from this purchase.

ninaellejewels

Rough_Rock
Trade
Im curious to know why he wont release the GIA report? That seems strange.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Get an Octavia--face up size will be slightly smaller, but from angles that most people view the diamond (not looking directly down at the diamond), you'll actually see more diamond (because it's taller), and the sparkles will be more impressive.

darby

Rough_Rock
They have had people say they aren't interested and then use the GIA number to buy the same diamond directly from another source for less money.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
darby|1471196535|4065915 said:
They have had people say they aren't interested and then use the GIA number to buy the same diamond directly from another source for less money.
In other words your jeweler is overprice.. :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please post Table depth, girdle and dimensions. If they won't give you that walk away

All they had to do was black put GIA number on lab reports. They are being dicks.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I agree. I wouldn't buy from them. You have every right to shop the stone around and buy it from the most well priced, reputable place. I did so myself and took advantage of online price matching policies. They have those for a reason. I was/am not loyal to one online marketplace so I'd definitely shop the stone around for the best price.

darby

Rough_Rock
I was able to get a copy of the report - here it is

Attachments

• _136.pdf
    276.4 KB · Views: 83

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good! Nothing to worry about on that. Stone is well balanced. Hav you seen it in person?

darby

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy. I've followed your posts and value your opinion. I have seen the stone in person and it's really nice - just want to make sure my i's are dotted and my t's are crossed before I pull the trigger. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are 100%'sure the wearer wants an asscher???

darby

Rough_Rock
Yes - it is her dream cut. Definitely prefers it to a brilliant or cushion cut. Will probably set it as a solitaire - no halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just as an FYI, I think asschers (especially larger ones) look great as solitaires. But my personal favorite is in a Deco setting like the bellow, which belongs to Kellyfish.

kellyfish%20reset%205.jpg

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-redo-is-complete.79258/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-redo-is-complete.79258/[/URL] Is the thread. Only thing I would change if the basket, which I would alter to make less boxy and allow a flush fit band (FYI this is the band I'd get: https://www.etsy.com/listing/236023801/the-cvb-id-angelina-cut-corner-baguette?ref=shop_home_active_24 ).

That ring was made by Singlestone in LA. You could have a similar one done by many jewelers (although there are definitely ones that are better than others for that design), with the alteration to remove and streamline the boxy basket.

darby

Rough_Rock
Wow Gypsy that is beautiful! She did mention liking a Leon Mege setting that reminds me of the one you posted - I think it had two bullet shaped diamonds flanking the center stone. Do you know anything about him?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
darby|1471449973|4066924 said:
Wow Gypsy that is beautiful! She did mention liking a Leon Mege setting that reminds me of the one you posted - I think it had two bullet shaped diamonds flanking the center stone. Do you know anything about him?
I know alot about him. Do a search for reviews and decide for yourself.

I recommend Steven Kirsch, who used to work with Leon and dis my own halo. He is in NY as well. Post the setting she liked here. I would advise yoi to go with that setting.

darby

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy - I think it looked like this but with a plain band:

snapdragon2_1_.gif

darby

Rough_Rock
Found this Steven Kirsch which is closer to the setting she liked - this may be "the one"

sk_20.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
darby|1471481383|4067138 said:
Found this Steven Kirsch which is closer to the setting she liked - this may be "the one"

Yup, do that with bullets. Perfect! Same proportions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results